PDA

View Full Version : Aggy- How much worse can this team get?

pack4life
10-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure, but they are absolutly horrible. No offense, terrible defense, something is definatly wrong, and it's not just on a surface level. I think Fran is losing control of this team, and they have no where to go but down. It sucks having to see Reggie struggle like this, but i hate aggy anyway (HornsFan). Just wondering if anyone had any inside scoop on any interior problems with this team.

Another possiblity... they pulled Reggie yesterday and his replacement did better... any thoughts on doing the unthinkable and benching Reggie if he continues to struggle?

jtk1519
10-09-2005, 02:59 PM
Another possibility... they pulled Reggie yesterday and his replacement did better... any thoughts on doing the unthinkable and benching Reggie if he continues to struggle?

CU had all scrubs in at that point. I wouldn't read too much into what McGee did, even though, a lot of the posts I have read on Texags lead me to believe that there is a QB controversy... at least in the minds of some fans.

aggy has two big problems. The line isn't very good, but they could win anyway. Their problem is that they have no receivers (Carter is OK and Schroeder could be good). Tellus (HOLLA!) is a huge disappointment so far. He is an average blocker and a terrible receiver. He is catching less than 20% of the passes thrown his way. All that adds up to Reggie barely completing 50% of his passes. Of course, there is something wrong with Reggie too. I don't know if he's playing hurt or what, but his passes have looked nothing short of horrible. His receivers aren't good at all, but even when they do get open, Reggie has been missing them badly. There were several times in the TSU game when an aggy receiver would be open not 20 yards down the field and even under no pressure, Reggie would still over or under throw then by several yards.

The other problem that aggy has is that they cant run the ball. Lewis has never been a good RB and never will be. Lane is not an every down back unless he is at FB. He's too big and slow to be an every down RB in a one back, spread offense. Unless you are going to go with an air attack spread offense like Tech (we know aggy doesn't have the receivers to run such an offense), then you have to have a solid running game.

My solution, abandon the spread... it ain't working. If aggy wants to at least have a shot of winning, they need to line up in a traditional I formation with Lane at FB, Lewis at RB, Tellus at TE and Carter and Schroeder split wide. They need to start playing more of a clock game because the biggest weakness aggy has is that horrible defense that doesn't have one player worth a damn. The aggy offense needs to do everything they can to keep their own defense off the field. If aggy could grind the clock and play field position, they might have a chance to win a few ballgames. As it stands right now, aggy should beat OK State, but they will have tough games against Kansas State and Iowa State (I think Iowa State wins that one at home). Then, the beatdown begins. aggy will get killed by Tech and Texas and I really dont know if they beat Mobilhoma. With the way that aggy defense plays, Rhett Turnover could leave that game as a Heisman hopeful.

garlandowl08
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I actually agree with what you said except that we do have two (and thats about it) good players on Defense: Jaxson Appel and Johnny Jolly...others have shown hints of being good but so far these two are the only ones making tackles.

jtk1519
10-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I actually agree with what you said except that we do have two (and thats about it) good players on Defense: Jaxson Appel and Johnny Jolly...others have shown hints of being good but so far these two are the only ones making tackles.

I'm not sold on Appel and never have been. He's just too slow to play his position. He's a decent run stopping safety, but he is terrible in pass coverage. The unfortunate thing is that he is a LB in a CBs body. If he could add 15-20 pounds, he might be a decent OLB, but his pass coverage abilities (or lack thereof) are really hurting aggy.

Jolly may be good, but we'll really never know it. He makes a play every now and then, but since there is nobody else good on that D-line, Jolly gets double-teamed. He is hindered by the lack of talent on that line.

The problems with aggy are really hard to identify because they are systemic. I mean, can you look at their depth chart and see any position that is really solid or even decent? The O-line is bad, the WRs/TEs are bad, the RBs are bad. The D-line is bad, the LBs are horrible as are the DBs. Sure, there may be individual talent here and there, but as a whole, the units are bad. Reggie is the only true talent that I see, but if you look at various draft publications, his stock is plummeting. One suit (Mel Kiper I think) is now projecting Reggie as a mid round draft pick... at WR. His durability is coming into serious question as is his leadership and poise.

garlandowl08
10-09-2005, 06:32 PM
I read somewhere that Reggie's style is that of "trying to make sportscenter every play" and I have to say, I'm starting to agree. In his massive efforts for personal gain, the team is suffering which hurts him in the end. I just hope the ags are better by the time I get to A&M...

jtk1519
10-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I read somewhere that Reggie's style is that of "trying to make sportscenter every play" and I have to say, I'm starting to agree. In his massive efforts for personal gain, the team is suffering which hurts him in the end. I just hope the ags are better by the time I get to A&M...

I like Stephen McGee and I think he may be able to do some things, but he's gonna need some help. Looking at the past couple of recruiting classes and what they have commited so far, I dont know where that help is going to come from, but anything can happen. I think aggy lost a lot when they werent able to get a verbal commit from McKay Jacobson. I think he is the kind of receiver that could make a big impact.

garlandowl08
10-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Last year agaisnt ou, McGee had to go in because Reggie got hurt. He actually played pretty well and I think he dove in for a game tying TD...maybe im wrong...many ags are calling for McGee to start playing earlier (2nd quarter) or get the sactual start, and I think it may not be a bad idea.

VB Pack Fan
10-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Aggies need some defense and more defense, that wins champoinships. When you got tight ends running by db,s you have trouble :confused:Lane could be a every down back in the spread, he was for three years in Lufkin. He is faster that most people think. He still young and needs to get more condidtioning and play at around 220 pounds

FootballJunkie
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM
In retrospect...was R C Slocum that bad?????? ;)

dragonfootballfan
10-09-2005, 08:15 PM
In retrospect...was R C Slocum that bad?????? ;)
I remember when the Aggies hired Franchione they were saying that he was a better recruiter than Mack and a better gameday coach than Stoops. All others were saying that it was a big mistake and that R C was probably the best coach that they could have had. I hope that after Texas DC Gene Chizik who is probably the best assistant in the country gets a head coaching job, that Mack contacts RC about being the Texas DC.

dragons08
10-09-2005, 08:28 PM
you are lucky wide hasnt answered on this thread yet...oh man im just waiting, for his 2 cents

farmerfan
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Last year agaisnt ou, McGee had to go in because Reggie got hurt. He actually played pretty well and I think he dove in for a game tying TD...maybe im wrong...many ags are calling for McGee to start playing earlier (2nd quarter) or get the sactual start, and I think it may not be a bad idea.

McGee red shirted last year, the guy you are thinking of is Ty Brannon. In watching the ags this year, i have come to the conclusion that Reggie is not that great of a QB, right now he has no leadership qualities and people in aggieland are still living off his OU game when he was a freshman. I have seen Reggie miss wide open receivers and force passes that just make you shake your head. I know coming out of HS he was not that accurate of a passer, if i remember right he only completed 51% of his passes. The ags are in a serious need of help, and I dont think it is one its way to soon. Looks like Alabama got the better of the whole Fran debacle.

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:06 PM
I'll give y'all some insight into the problem... IT IS NOT COACH FRAN. The dude took TCU, with a little help from LT, to a bowl game, and in my humble opinion the Aggies have 4 stand out players on defense. John Jolly, Red Bryant, Jaxson Appel, and Archie McDaniel. The problem is the are in a recruiting sandwich of sorts. They can never be good. See, they basically get whatever is leftover after Texas takes all the good players out of Texas. Then OU and LSU steal a few away as well. After that, the pocket QB's and slot receivers that are left go to Tech, the kids who have brains go to Rice (i.e. John Syptak and Joel Armstrong both Big XII quality) and THEN after all that the Aggies take what remains. So basically John Jolly and Red Bryant are great sure, but Texas has Rod Wright, Frank Okam, Larry Dibbles and Roy Miller, none of whom they could play over. Appel is great too, but hes not taking Michael Huff's job anytime soon. So basically Fran has been brought into an impossible situation, hes expected to beat teams with better players on a yearly basis. Here's a tip: Maybe if aggies quit acting like morons, people would want to play football at their school.

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:07 PM
And P.S. I would like to here from all the people who said Reggie was better than Vince when the year started...it had my head shaking like a Robert Earl Keen tune...

garlandowl08
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I will openly admit that I thought Reggie was better than Vince...but i didn't realize how innaccurate of a passer he is...His feet are not as elusive as vince's and his arm may be more powerful and prettier, but vince has teh recievers and gets it done. I am by no means becoming a vince fan, but i will have to say he is better.

VB Pack Fan
10-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Reggie is a better all around qb. Vince is on a better team. Switch em and you would have Vince in the same problem. Any one that knows football know that Reggies ankle problem has been around since HS, and when he reinjures it he is not setting himself to throw, makes his passes sail or under throws some.The Aggies needs a o-line. But this is his final year so we just have to get over it.It helps if the recievers could hold on without dropping them. The kids that go to Rice are smart, but don,t play very good football.......just my two cents on A&M.

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Reggies problem has nothing to do with his ankle. Reggie looked nervous as a ***** in church in the pocket against Baylor. Vince was poised in the 'Shoe against AJ Hawk (and a downright gnarly Ohio State defense). Vince is also a leader, Reggie isn't. Vince is also 235, Reggie is 195, thats why his tiny ankles keep popping. Vince took the biggest pounding I had seen all year until that OU UT game and poor Rhett Bomar. Reggie is also no where near the passer Vince is, he can't throw it as far or as accurate. Most of the incompletions I have seen are his fault, and remember Vince is throwing to a bunch of sophomore and 2 seniors, Reggie's are all Jr and Sr. Granted Jamaal Charles is considerably better than Courtney Lewis, but Gerald Riggs is better than Jamaal and I dont hear any whispers that Casey Clausen is better than Vince. If you think Reggie is better than Vince you deserve to be demoted on this website...
But hey,garland, I would have picked my teams QB preseason bar none too, so no worries

VB Pack Fan
10-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Reggie has a stronger arm than Vince dude and he dose not have anything to do with who his recievers are.

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Reggie has a stronger arm than Vince? Nothing on Reggie is stronger than anything on Vince. Reggie is like 6'1 195 and Vince is 6'5 237, thats impossible, your the kind of person that makes people laugh at aggy. Compare him to Reggie Ball and say hes the best College QB named Reggie, or compare him to Brad Smith and say hes the best college QB that gets his *** handed to him by UT every year, but please stop comparing Tennessee's Cotton Bowl MVP to UT's Rose Bowl MVP who just happens to be #2 in the Heisman Race and a shoe in to be at the banquet. Its like trying to say...Courtney Lewis is really better than Jamaal Charles, Charles just has a better O-line. Lewis wouldn't even have a scholarship if it weren't for Vince Young...

garlandowl08
10-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I really have to say that Reggie can throw the ball farther than vince. I mean, do you remember last yer the hail amry pass against OSU right before half time. Reggie was on his game then and has just lost it since...this will be the ost season version 2 (2002 was version 1)

Firebird
10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
The problem at A&M ain't the players. No one will deny that UT has whupped up on everyone else in state in the recruiting wars, but A&M is always second in the state, and recently has put together nationally ranked classes almost every year, even under Slocum. Heck, last year's was a top 15 class. Look at who they drew in frecent years-- Stephen McGee, Javorskie Lane, Martellus Bennet, Howard Morrow. Still, they haven't been able to beat Tech in Lubbock in about 10 years, and dropped several at Kyle to TTU, all the while putting player's on the field that were ranked much higher than Tech's out of HS. They are no closer to closing the gap with UT, have arguably fallen behind Tech, and are looking over their shoulder at Baylor.

The Baylor and Texas State game should tell you plenty. You can't say that A&M didn't take the field with seriously more talented players than both Baylor and Texas State, and they struggled in both of those games. Baylor kicked their butt up and down Kyle field for 3.8 quarters. That's coaching. That is a team that didn't come to play. If you ask any coach in the country who's players they would like, Baylors or A&M's,they take the Aggies every time. Franchione did good things at TCU, but that doesn't guarantee that he will do great things at A&M. Right now, A&M has the players to be 3rd or even 2nd in the conference, but they are playing more like 8 or 9.

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:47 PM
I dont know what your talking about to be honest, but I have seen Vince come a juke and throw it 70+ in the air, and numerous times I have seen him complete passes with a person actually on him. Theres just no way Reggie is stronger, and even if he could crow hop and throw it 5 yards farther (which like I said he cant) it wouldnt matter because he cant hit receivers or run like vince...I just fail to see how there is any talent comparison other than "they are the same type of player"

Firebird
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
TheProphet, I cannot believe you are seriously suggesting that Rice is hurting A&M's recruiting efforts. That is truly laughable. Name me one Rice player that was lured away from A&M because of academics.

wide-e-wide
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I remember when the Aggies hired Franchione they were saying that he was a better recruiter than Mack and a better gameday coach than Stoops. All others were saying that it was a big mistake and that R C was probably the best coach that they could have had. I hope that after Texas DC Gene Chizik who is probably the best assistant in the country gets a head coaching job, that Mack contacts RC about being the Texas DC.

OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
The day RC Slocum is in burnt orange is the day ol' wide-e turns in his horns...never,never,never,never!
It ain't gonna happen.

VB Pack Fan
10-09-2005, 09:51 PM
So what you are saying is Reggie can,t throw it 70 yards and he is nowhere the size of Vince....man where have you been....you may need to be denmoted :eek:

TheProphet
10-09-2005, 09:53 PM
McGee was two years ago man cause he went to school with my cousin, him and Jordan Shipley played at Burnet together. But in reality what a recruiting class is ranked on rivals is moot. not only does rivals SUCK at rating players, but they have no concept of need based recruiting. They ranked A&M's class ahead of UT's last year because basically Texas only graduated like 15 players thus only have 15 ships to give away. You can't tell me that a class with Roy Miller (Rod's replacement), Jamaal Charles, Henry Melton, Quan Cosby, Roddrick Muckelroy (who layed the biggest hit on Javorskie during the North South game I have ever seen), Chris Brown, Aaron Lewis, Adam Ulatoski, Colt McCoy, and so many others isnt better than a class whos prizes were the Bennett brothers and Javorskie. Martellus won't amount to anything cause he wont try and he has no mind. I played against him in basketball and saw this repeatedly, P.S. he wasn't even the best plyer on his high school team. Anyways, short story long, like most my posts, I hate rivals.com

VB Pack Fan
10-09-2005, 09:56 PM
Now the truth comes out...prophet could not cut it at the next level..... :eek:

dragonfootballfan
10-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I'll give y'all some insight into the problem... IT IS NOT COACH FRAN. The dude took TCU, with a little help from LT, to a bowl game, and in my humble opinion the Aggies have 4 stand out players on defense. John Jolly, Red Bryant, Jaxson Appel, and Archie McDaniel. The problem is the are in a recruiting sandwich of sorts. They can never be good. See, they basically get whatever is leftover after Texas takes all the good players out of Texas. Then OU and LSU steal a few away as well. After that, the pocket QB's and slot receivers that are left go to Tech, the kids who have brains go to Rice (i.e. John Syptak and Joel Armstrong both Big XII quality) and THEN after all that the Aggies take what remains. So basically John Jolly and Red Bryant are great sure, but Texas has Rod Wright, Frank Okam, Larry Dibbles and Roy Miller, none of whom they could play over. Appel is great too, but hes not taking Michael Huff's job anytime soon. So basically Fran has been brought into an impossible situation, hes expected to beat teams with better players on a yearly basis. Here's a tip: Maybe if aggies quit acting like morons, people would want to play football at their school.
How come Fran could get kids at TCU, but not at A&M?

Firebird
10-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I know McGee was two years ago, that's why I edited my message to say that he signed recently. Plus, its not just Rival's ranking Aggie high in recruiting, it is every analyst. They are not better at it than UT, but they are ALWAYS second in the state. OU usually does better over all. Aggie should be a lock at third place in the south, but isn't. And I don't care whay you say, they aren't caught losing good prospects to Rice, that is crazy talk man.

They nearly got their butts handed to them at home by Baylor and a I-AA team. You can't deny that Aggie talent was head and shoulders above both teams. Their one decent game was against SMU. Its coaching bro, coaching.

PackAttack2005
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Prophet, Reggie is 6'3" 209lbs, he can throw the football 80 plus yards and has 4.28 40 speed. he may not be a big as Vince, but he has the better arm and he is faster. The difference is the talent that surrounds them and a difference in offensive philosophy. Vince has not had to go through two coaches and three offensive coordinators like Reggie has had to do.

Coach Fran has built winners everywhere he has coached, I just the think the new recruits at A&M need a little more seasoning and don't forget Reggie has lost two starting wide outs to injury since the season started.

dragonfootballfan
10-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Prophet, Reggie is 6'3" 209lbs, he can throw the football 80 plus yards and has 4.28 40 speed. he may not be a big as Vince, but he has the better arm and he is faster. The difference is the talent that surrounds them and a difference in offensive philosophy. Vince has not had to go through two coaches and three offensive coordinators like Reggie has had to do.

Coach Fran has built winners everywhere he has coached, I just the think the new recruits at A&M need a little more seasoning and don't forget Reggie has lost two starting wide outs to injury since the season started.
you can say anything you want but just watch the games. Reggie is so much worse than Vince it is amazing.

Firebird
10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
The difference is in the intangibles. I really can't say whether or not Reggie can chuck the ball 70 yds, or how fast both of them can run carrying the football. Both are phenomenal athletes.

But VY is the true leader of the 'Horns. He belives that when the chips are down, he can carry the team on his back to a W. More importantly, he has done it before, so the 10 guys on the field with him believe it. Football, especialy playing qb, is much more than just raw athletic ability. Not to knock Reggie, but he just hasn't shown the kind of heart, drive, and leadership VY has. Anyone watching the two play will have no doubt as to who is the better QB. The only people in the country saying anything else are Aggie fans.

Plus, in the pros, VY's size will give him a huge edge.

stevefoxsc
10-10-2005, 11:02 AM
i did read in the DWM when i got my hair cut in presseason they were talking about the big 12 QB's when they got to reggie for him they just said "high school stats don't compare to college stats" and had his stats, and it seemed the last few qb's atm had were better than he was.

As for V.Y vs Reggie V.Y is a leader when you get down to the wire if you had to have either QB i know i could count on V.Y to be a leader and lead his team, while reggie on the other hand could make a cream puff team such as utah look amazing, watching him the last few games he reminded me off a high school QB from temple doug streater who had a tendancy to just throw the ball as fast as possible and over shooting his player's. ATM still has time to get it together.

Favpack
10-10-2005, 11:14 AM
It's fairly clueless to say the problem is with a qb who happens to be obliterating all school records. Reggie has a high ankle sprain and the injury may slow him or keep him out, but to say McGee is the solution is either desperation or ignorance.

The A&M D is just shy of terrible - I mean, cmon - Texas State ran rough-shod over them. That's where you start.

On the O side - I think the whole scheme is very high-schoolish. Having a wr jog over behind the qb and then running a slow developing option play is what hs kids do - not a D1 Top 20 program.

If A&M were running the UT version of the spread - which is precisely what Reggie ran in HS - you'd see more offensive production.

But -- I'll say it again - Colorado is good and they will hit UT in the mouth and play hard - UT better be ready - the Buffs are for real. Did you see their two te's? 6'6 and 6'7" -- 250+ - and fast? Both will be nfl starters - maybe big time players. These guys are good.

dragonfootballfan
10-10-2005, 11:36 AM
It's fairly clueless to say the problem is with a qb who happens to be obliterating all school records. Reggie has a high ankle sprain and the injury may slow him or keep him out, but to say McGee is the solution is either desperation or ignorance.

The A&M D is just shy of terrible - I mean, cmon - Texas State ran rough-shod over them. That's where you start.

On the O side - I think the whole scheme is very high-schoolish. Having a wr jog over behind the qb and then running a slow developing option play is what hs kids do -not a D1 Top 20 program.

If A&M were running the UT version of the spread - which is precisely what Reggie ran in HS - you'd see more offensive production.

But -- I'll say it again - Colorado is good and they will hit UT in the mouth and play hard - UT better be ready - the Buffs are for real. Did you see their two te's? 6'6 and 6'7" -- 250+ - and fast? Both will be nfl starters - maybe big time players. These guys are good.
Oh my goodness I can't stop laughing. Aggy a top twenty program. Hillarious

Reaganrattler07
10-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Any of'em as good as big Jeff King? :p

ThEgReAtOnE
10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Aggy can't get any worse!!!

I'm telling you guys....they just don't look like the same team that was winning everything in the 80's (SWC) Or the speedy defense and skill players of the 90's!!

Coach Franchokey needs to step aside, period! R.C. was 10 times better than this stab-in-the-back-passive-a** coach!

pack0808
10-10-2005, 11:49 AM
CU had all scrubs in at that point. I wouldn't read too much into what McGee did, even though, a lot of the posts I have read on Texags lead me to believe that there is a QB controversy... at least in the minds of some fans.

aggy has two big problems. The line isn't very good, but they could win anyway. Their problem is that they have no receivers (Carter is OK and Schroeder could be good). Tellus (HOLLA!) is a huge disappointment so far. He is an average blocker and a terrible receiver. He is catching less than 20% of the passes thrown his way. All that adds up to Reggie barely completing 50% of his passes. Of course, there is something wrong with Reggie too. I don't know if he's playing hurt or what, but his passes have looked nothing short of horrible. His receivers aren't good at all, but even when they do get open, Reggie has been missing them badly. There were several times in the TSU game when an aggy receiver would be open not 20 yards down the field and even under no pressure, Reggie would still over or under throw then by several yards.

The other problem that aggy has is that they cant run the ball. Lewis has never been a good RB and never will be. Lane is not an every down back unless he is at FB. He's too big and slow to be an every down RB in a one back, spread offense. Unless you are going to go with an air attack spread offense like Tech (we know aggy doesn't have the receivers to run such an offense), then you have to have a solid running game.

My solution, abandon the spread... it ain't working. If aggy wants to at least have a shot of winning, they need to line up in a traditional I formation with Lane at FB, Lewis at RB, Tellus at TE and Carter and Schroeder split wide. They need to start playing more of a clock game because the biggest weakness aggy has is that horrible defense that doesn't have one player worth a damn. The aggy offense needs to do everything they can to keep their own defense off the field. If aggy could grind the clock and play field position, they might have a chance to win a few ballgames. As it stands right now, aggy should beat OK State, but they will have tough games against Kansas State and Iowa State (I think Iowa State wins that one at home). Then, the beatdown begins. aggy will get killed by Tech and Texas and I really dont know if they beat Mobilhoma. With the way that aggy defense plays, Rhett Turnover could leave that game as a Heisman hopeful.

Lane is not an every day rb because he is not fast enough and too slow?? Are you serious?? He runs plenty of fast for a big man at 4.6 and he is as durable as they come. He is even faster on the field. I have seen him out run secondary's over and over in hs. Yes i know that was hs but i J Lane is special and i know what he is capable of. I wonder what would happened if they told Dayne that!! What is your deal with LP players??

stevefoxsc
10-10-2005, 11:49 AM
aggy's can be good whod have ever though of such a hilarious thing.

pack0808
10-10-2005, 11:51 AM
And jtk you just ran down a player from Tyler Lee when you said not one player on the aggy was worth crap. They are horrible as a unit but Tyler Lee's Justin Warren is a very talented player.

jtk1519
10-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Lane is not an every day rb because he is not fast enough and too slow?? Are you serious?? He runs plenty of fast for a big man at 4.6 and he is as durable as they come. He is even faster on the field. I have seen him out run secondary's over and over in hs. Yes i know that was hs but i J Lane is special and i know what he is capable of. I wonder what would happened if they told Dayne that!! What is your deal with LP players??

A RB that runs a 4.6 is way to slow for a one back spread offense. Such an offense requires the RB to make plays because there is no lead blocker. This means the RB is required to bounce it outside from time to time. Even moreso since the aggy O-line is so bad. Most LBs in major colleges run 4.6s or better. There are some LBs in the big 12 that run 4.4s. A RB with 4.6 speed just cant cut it unless he has a lead blocker or a good O-line to blow open some holes... aggy has neither.

BTW, he out ran HIGH SCHOOL secondaries. He aint in high school any more. The only DB he could outrun right now is Jaxson Appel. Big backs dont work in the type of offense aggy runs.

Favpack
10-10-2005, 02:45 PM
Oh my goodness I can't stop laughing. Aggy a top twenty program. Hillarious

They should be a Top 10 program based on their location, school size, etc. - I didn't say they WERE a top 20 program. What I said was a Top 20 program doesn't run a HS level offense - that's one of many problems they have.

TheProphet
10-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I think aggy needs to break away from the big XII and let TCU fill their spot. Then they can form the Big South, it would look something like this...with my predicted records in bold....

The Big South
Baylor (who is replaced by UTEP in the BIG XII) 8-0 9-2
Mary-Hardin Baylor 7-1 8-3
Southlake Carroll 6-2 7-4
Texas State 4-4 6-5
Katy Junior High 4-4 5-6
Aggy 2-6 4-7
Cinco Ranch 1-7 1-10
Helen Keller School for The Blind 0-8 0-11

Now doesn't it look like aggy could much better compete in my hypothetical conference?

VB Pack Fan
10-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I just noticed that a lot of you on here are knocking A&M you seem to knock all the Lufkin players that they have, what,s up with that. I will bet the ones that are knocking LP are the ones that Lufkin kick in their rear ends. I don,t see SLC, Longview,fans downing us. Lufkin has as many if not more kids in the NFL as any team in the state, that speaks of the talent of kids we have . Football is a team sport and it takes more that one player to excel. I have nothing aganist Vince, but put him on A&M team then tell how good he is.

Reaganrattler07
10-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, Chuck the Chest Amato may be available....course that may be worst than Fran. I hope the Aggies get it going again.

wide-e-wide
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I just noticed that a lot of you on here are knocking A&M you seem to knock all the Lufkin players that they have, what,s up with that. I will bet the ones that are knocking LP are the ones that Lufkin kick in their rear ends. I don,t see SLC, Longview,fans downing us. Lufkin has as many if not more kids in the NFL as any team in the state, that speaks of the talent of kids we have . Football is a team sport and it takes more that one player to excel. I have nothing aganist Vince, but put him on A&M team then tell how good he is.

uhhh....No...I graduated from Lufkin...and I still say aggy sucks...my nephew graduated from Diboll...and is a student at aggy...and I still say aggy sucks...

why?

because they freakin' do....
I called it...
I said 4-7...and aggy laughed at me...
Who's laughing now agroid?

Accept your place in the universe that is Texas football...You struggle with SWT...and go to OT with Baylor 2 years in a row...guess what buddy?

YOU SUCK!

sorry Reggie...
But believe he knows it.

garlandowl08
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
The worst part about it is Reggie may actually have the talent ot be a heismann hopeful...just not with the Aggies.

wide-e-wide
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh no doubt...
I was pissed when he signed to go to aggy...
and now everybody knows why.

pack0808
10-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Aggy owned UT for quit a while in the mid to late 80's on through the early to mid 90's do some of yall have amnesia?? Lane was in a spread offense all of his life so give me a break jtk. Lane is an unbelievable specimen that is capable of doing anything in any offense.

Firebird
10-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Pack--

Lane ran in a spread offense in High School, which is light years different than a spread offense against D-IA comp. In high school, 4.6 is fast, especially when you are big enough to run over everyone anyway. Against UT a 4.6 big back should either line up in the I behind a massive O-Line. He ain't outrunning Big 12 backers and some D-Lineman. Plus, in college, they are big enough to bring him down.

That said, Lane is a great recruit and Fran truly is an idiot if he can't find ways to get production out of him. It's not in the spread though.

pack0808
10-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Spread or not Lane could be the featured back wihout a doubt and he would be very successful. I have watched this guy for a long time and he is unbelievable trust me!! I am not a dumb A when it comes to sport's. I am not being a homer. J Lane is special.

jtk1519
10-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Aggy owned UT for quit a while in the mid to late 80's on through the early to mid 90's do some of yall have amnesia?? Lane was in a spread offense all of his life so give me a break jtk. Lane is an unbelievable specimen that is capable of doing anything in any offense.

You saw him in high school man. Get with reality. Asking Lane to be the feature back in a spread offense in COLLEGE is like asking Matt Leinart to run the wishbone... he's just not built for it. Lane actually reminds me a lot of Maurice Clarett coming out of high school. They were both about the same size though Clarett looked to be in better shape and a little faster. Also like Clarett, Lane was projected as a FB coming out of hisgh school. The difference is that Clarett went to a program who's offense is built around the running game. A good, big O-line, a FB usually at least one TE and the QB under center, etc. All this made it much easier for Clarett to be as successful as he was.

There's no denying the kid's talent and ability, but you just cant put a square peg in a round hole. If you cant see that, then your purple colored glasses are clouding your vision.

wide-e-wide
10-11-2005, 07:05 AM

aggy was also handing out Z28's and fedex envelopes full of money in the 80's...yeah we remember.

pack0808
10-11-2005, 08:12 AM
You saw him in high school man. Get with reality. Asking Lane to be the feature back in a spread offense in COLLEGE is like asking Matt Leinart to run the wishbone... he's just not built for it. Lane actually reminds me a lot of Maurice Clarett coming out of high school. They were both about the same size though Clarett looked to be in better shape and a little faster. Also like Clarett, Lane was projected as a FB coming out of hisgh school. The difference is that Clarett went to a program who's offense is built around the running game. A good, big O-line, a FB usually at least one TE and the QB under center, etc. All this made it much easier for Clarett to be as successful as he was.

There's no denying the kid's talent and ability, but you just cant put a square peg in a round hole. If you cant see that, then your purple colored glasses are clouding your vision.

You telling me to get with reality is funny to say the least. :rolleyes: I know what he can do and i do not care if it is at the div1a level he could do it. He is that skilled!! I am sure Leinart did not run the wishbone in hs. I do understand what you are saying but Lane is very capable of being a featured back in the spread. I would love to see Lane in a running offense (I type of formation) but it is not going to happen in at a&m unless they change their style.

pack0808
10-11-2005, 08:15 AM
aggy was also handing out Z28's and fedex envelopes full of money in the 80's...yeah we remember.

I am pretty sure it went well into the 90's?? Either way UT owns aggy now and in the overall series.

TheProphet
10-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Yeah the overall series is like 76-33-5, but UT has over twice as many as aggy so if there was a time of owning it lasted about as long as aggy being the darkhorse for a national title...

rich_pack
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Does it really matter who is better between Vince and Reggie? Put either on a bad team like SMU and they both would be getting no attention and no help just like Reggie is getting at A&M. As for Lane, he is averaging 4 yards a carry so far, but they really need to use him more. I did notice in the last game, he was playing on defense and I even saw him on a couple of special teams plays. As for the comment about McGee coming in and doing better?, if I am not mistaking Colorado brought their second string in when he played. Not taking anything away from his ability, but when you say he looked better than Reggie did, you need to look and see who he was really playing against.

jtk1519
10-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I am pretty sure it went well into the 90's?? Either way UT owns aggy now and in the overall series.
The really funny thing is that the only period when aggy "owned" The University resulted in the NCAA leveling swift and harsh penalties on the aggy program for their many "violations." It also resulted in the disgrace of two of their beloved coaches (FedEx Sherrill and Slocum).

There was a very interesting article a while back discussing the many times aggy has been caught cheating dating all the way back to Bear Bryant. In fact, something I didnít know, aggy was very close to being given the same "death penalty" that SMU was given, but the powers that be in the NCAA decided to let aggy live and let SMU hang. It doesnít matter though, aggy still hasnít recovered from their penalties and it doesnít look like they ever will.

VB Pack Fan
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
Hey Rich Pack, Lane was not on the defense, but he was on some kick off,s. A&M has a few players with the same number, one is on offense and the other on defense. I know that is weird but that how it is.

TheProphet
10-15-2005, 10:29 PM
same thing at UT with Sweed and Kelson both wearing 4 and pittman and brown both wearing 5