PDA

View Full Version : Plano vs HP 1977 miracle comeback 29-28 Video highlights

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
KUDO's to the DMN for bringing up the video highlights of the of the greatest comebacks in Texas history. I was in 3rd grade and it was my first trip to Texas Stadium and I had to sit in the upper deck and I was scared to death to walk up the ramps to the seats. After that game I became the lifelong Plano fan I am today.

Check out the link below. It's interesting to see the size of the line-man from 30 years ago and how small in general the players looked.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/videopage-254.html?nvid=170735

Check out the very excited Plano Cheerleader running down the sideline with her hands above her head screaming when Plano completes the flea flicker to tie the game up with 33 seconds to go. Priceless:D

rancher52
09-03-2007, 09:58 PM
KUDO's to the DMN for bringing up the video highlights of the of the greatest comebacks in Texas history. I was in 3rd grade and it was my first trip to Texas Stadium and I had to sit in the upper deck and I was scared to death to walk up the ramps to the seats. After that game I became the lifelong Plano fan I am today.

Check out the link below. It's interesting to see the size of the line-man from 30 years ago and how small in general the players looked.

http://www.hsgametime.com/dfw/videopage-254.html?nvid=170735

Check out the very excited Plano Cheerleader running down the sideline with her hands above her head screaming when Plano completes the flea flicker to tie the game up with 33 seconds to go. Priceless:D

They do look a little smaller (as I would expect) but gosh, the entire team (both sides) look really quick.

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
They do look a little smaller (as I would expect) but gosh, the entire team (both sides) look really quick.

Very quick. However, the cheerleader running down the sideline was the quickest of all. :D

78 Spartan
09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Very cool stuff. I remember that shocking comeback well. I also remember being very surprised that Plano beat PN-G that year. But that Wildcat team sure did have a "team of destiny" thing going for it.

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Very cool stuff. I remember that shocking comeback well. I also remember being very surprised that Plano beat PN-G that year. But that Wildcat team sure did have a "team of destiny" thing going for it.

As a 9 year old I thought those guys were super hero's and could of easily beaten the Cowboys that year. 3 straight weeks of Plano magic that began with the HP game then the roadtrip to Lubbock to play MOJO in 30 degree weather winning 3-0 then the PNG at Texas Stadium in front of 49,905.

It continued into next year until Mr. James and company put a halt in the title game at the Astrodome that year.:cry

LPMOM
09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
high school football is truly priceless!

ThEgReAtOnE
09-04-2007, 09:25 PM
1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye. And yes, those 185 lb o-linemen were hilariously tiny:D ... but pretty quick. To be expected, given the era.

Favpack
09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
No warm-blooded person roots for Highland Park. SLC could be 179-1 and I would root for them to win their 19th straight ring over HP. In fact, I'd drive the bus to the game.

Slotback
09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
In any era of football, that is still a great comeback.

D-FW#1
09-04-2007, 10:39 PM
1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye.

I was a couple of years old when this game took place, but my dad was there and talked about it quite often!

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-05-2007, 03:23 PM
1977!! Whoa.. I was a gleam in my dad's right eye. And yes, those 185 lb o-linemen were hilariously tiny:D ... but pretty quick. To be expected, given the era.

Yes small and quick. I'm amazed how good the video quality was. Sure would like to see the whole game on video.

PCW Cats
09-05-2007, 08:14 PM
PWF- check your PM.

I have video of the game and PDF files of the newspaper recap for it as well.

rancher52
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Just for grins and giggles can one of you Plano posters get the lineups and post the weights of the players ... not sure if that is available but it would be a kick to see for comparisons.

ktCarl
09-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Can you get the entire game on DVD?
I would love to watch that game.

coogs78
09-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Fascinating video.

Butch Fifield
09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Thank you soooo much for posting that. I was in 6th grade in Plano and this is the game that hooked me on high school football for life. It was my second game to go to. I remember how before the game we had no chance to win. Heck, in the 3rd quarter we had no chance to win.

I would love to get a copy of the whole game tape.

Here are the lineups from the back of the program for the person asking for it....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/po_elvis/Plano-HProster.jpg

Billy Ray Smith a a junior. He was 185.

Butch Fifield
09-08-2007, 12:14 AM
looking at the roster, here are the players that made the plays in this highlight video.....

28-0 HP TD - RB #40 Lott McIlhenny (JR) 2 yd run
28-7 Plano TD - QB #20 Steve Ulmer junior (JR) 23 yd run
28-14 Plano TD - Ulmer 13 yd pass to RB #28 John Gaddis (SR)
28-21 Plano TD - #24 Carl Smith (JR) intercepted pitchout from #11 HP QB Lance McIlhenny (SO) and ran back 60 yards.
29-28 Plano TD - 33 seconds left, Ulmer laterals to flanker #25 Stevie Haynes (SR) who throws a 61 yard TD pass to #22 Perry Haynes (JR). Ulmer scores 2 point conversion on a QB keeper (huge hole). I didn't remember the 2 pointer being that easy.

HP was ahead on penetrations, so Plano had to go for the win and not the tie.

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-08-2007, 12:22 AM
looking at the roster, here are the players that made the plays in this highlight video.....

28-21 Plano TD - #24 Carl Smith (JR) intercepted pitchout from #11 HP QB Lance McIlhenny (SO) and ran back 60 yards.
29-28 Plano TD - 33 seconds left, Ulmer laterals to flanker #25 Stevie Haynes (SR) who throws a 61 yard TD pass to #22 Perry Haynes (JR). Ulmer scores 2 point conversion on a QB keeper (huge hole). I didn't remember the 2 pointer being that easy.

Nice, Thanks for the roster. Plano had 3 guys over 200lbs. Ouch.

dragonsdaddy
09-08-2007, 08:11 AM

i was in a position to be able to see the plano coaches thru the binos as the players came to the line. even before the snap, all the coaches were going crazy celebrating and high 5-ing. come to find out, it was the only time all night that the hp defense lined up unbalanced. since the option direction is called at the line, i imagine that when ulmer counted 6 left and 5 right, he had a huge smile too. he probably couldn't get that even call out soon enough.

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-08-2007, 10:02 AM
i was in a position to be able to see the plano coaches thru the binos as the players came to the line. even before the snap, all the coaches were going crazy celebrating and high 5-ing. come to find out, it was the only time all night that the hp defense lined up unbalanced. since the option direction is called at the line, i imagine that when ulmer counted 6 left and 5 right, he had a huge smile too. he probably couldn't get that even call out soon enough.

That hole was huge he could of walked in. The whole right side of the Plano line crushed HP's left side.

dragonsdaddy
09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
That hole was huge he could of walked in. The whole right side of the Plano line crushed HP's left side.

they didn't have enough folks on that side. i know whenever i saw an unbalanced front, we were going to have a big play.

coogs78
09-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Offensive linemen don't block like that anymore. They're only used as stationary obstacles in today's schemes.

Plano Wildcat Fan
09-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Offensive linemen don't block like that anymore. They're only used as stationary obstacles in today's schemes.

I agree. techinque is out the door in todays schemes.