PDA

View Full Version : Abilene Cooper Cougars

jtk1519
05-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Just thought I would provide a few updates on how the Cougars are shaping up this Spring.

Coogs see bigger, stronger, faster team on football field
http://reporter-news.com/abil/sp_fb_hs_cooper/article/0,1874,ABIL_18397_3747528,00.html

Audio interview with Cooper coach Marty Secord
http://real.scripps.com:8480/ramgen/texnews/sportstalk.mp3

KT2000
05-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the links, JTK. I remember when most, including Dave, picked Cooper to finish next to last in district (2002, I believe) and the Cougs ended up winning it. This wouldn't be the first time they "overachieved."

jtk1519
05-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the links, JTK. I remember when most, including Dave, picked Cooper to finish next to last in district (2002, I believe) and the Cougs ended up winning it. This wouldn't be the first time they "overachieved."

I went out and watched them scrimmage today. I was pleasently surprised. It's pretty hard to tell anything this early when the 1st team offense is going up agaisnt the 2nd team defense, but you can sometimes get an idea.

The first thing I noticed is that we have a lot more size. There has been a stronger emphasis on strength and conditioning under Secord and it looks to be paying off. We have some big linemen coming up. We also look deep at RB. Cooper is switching to a two back offense this year with Demetrius Gore at FB. a young kid by the name of Kenson Colbert saw most of the carries at TB and he was quite inpressive. About 6'0 190 with great speed (he has been running track for Cooper since he was a fish). The defense is also coming along great. In fact, they are probably ahead of the offense right now.

I've heard a lot about size and strength and I finally got to see it today. I have to admit that I'm very excited and sickened by the thought that the season is almost 4 months away.

Here's a bit more "in depth" post I made on the Little Southwest Conference board...

http://www.thelittleswc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7200

I'm sure ole' Dave and a lot of people will pick Cooper low again, but this group has a lot of potential. If they continue to improve over the summer, this could be a very exciting bunch.

abilenefan
05-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey JTK,

Have you heard for sure about 7 on 7? Word in town is that Cooper is not playing this year. ???

If not what is up with that?

Thanks

jtk1519
05-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Hey JTK,

Have you heard for sure about 7 on 7? Word in town is that Cooper is not playing this year. ???

If not what is up with that?

Thanks

From what I have heard... no. We havent really established a 3rd string QB and our starter, Chris Hall and his backup, Zach Stewart, are both spending their Summer in the Metroplex playing baseball. Last year, our 7 on 7 squad played some local games against Jim Ned, Wylie, ACU, etc. and I think they will play a lot of those games over this Summer. As for entering one of the SQTs, I was told that Will Galusha and Jordan Neal are trying to talk the coaches into fielding a team for the Abilene SQT, but it's still up in the air. I dont expect us to enter the 4 or 5 tournys like we have in the past.

If what I saw at the scrimmage yesterday was any indication, there are a LOT of changes taking place with the Big Blue Crew. A lot of changes that are really going to shock some people.