PDA

View Full Version : Most Useful Stat

RidgePride
07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Since we have a most over rated stat thread, we may has well have a most useful stat thread.

I am curious to know what ya'll think is the most useful stat to determine how good a team is (besides points).

I think it would be plus minus ratio in turnovers. If a team is on the plus side of turnovers, they are almost always one of the best teams.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
Since we have a most over rated stat thread, we may has well have a most useful stat thread.

I am curious to know what ya'll think is the most useful stat to determine how good a team is (besides points).

I think it would be plus minus ratio in turnovers. If a team is on the plus side of turnovers, they are almost always one of the best teams.

You beat me to it!

Also, how many penalties a game a team averages. Penalties can, and will, kill a drive and take away momentum.

SGP 06 Alumni
07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
You beat me to it!

Also, how many penalties a game a team averages. Penalties can, and will, kill a drive and take away momentum.

The Dallas Cowboys were living proof of that last season.

SLC DRAGON
07-26-2007, 01:18 AM
besides points huh...

id have to go with the WIN-LOSS column

after that id say...
for a runing team: Time of Possesion
for a balanced team: first downs (yours vs. theirs)
for a passing team: QB rating

the most important stat depends on ur offensive mind set. these stats of course apply to just the game u r playing in at the time. even a QB with a high rating can have bad games.

FootballCrazy727
07-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I'd have to go with turnover margin. If you win that you will almost always win

SLC DRAGON
07-26-2007, 04:59 PM
turnover margin is HUGE. agreed

CFlb38 08
07-31-2007, 09:44 PM

tu madre....

The King
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
The number of offensive plays vs. defensive plays. It is sorta like TOP only it accounts for teams that spread the feild. If they can make your defensive backfeild chase them 15 or 20 more times a game that can be a huge factor.

dragonsdaddy
08-01-2007, 04:32 PM
The number of offensive plays vs. defensive plays. It is sorta like TOP only it accounts for teams that spread the feild. If they can make your defensive backfeild chase them 15 or 20 more times a game that can be a huge factor.

that may be more important, but still not be much good when a team score in 5 plays, versus takes 10 plays, and then gets stopped.

The King
08-01-2007, 09:29 PM
that may be more important, but still not be much good when a team score in 5 plays, versus takes 10 plays, and then gets stopped.

Sometimes a team scores in 5 plays or even 3 plays cause they had a few 10 play drives earlier. In reality the only important stat is points, another stat that may tell you alot is yards per play.

Owned05
08-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Just throwing this out here..

3rd down conversion percentage.

FeeltheHaka
08-02-2007, 09:48 AM
A couple of useful individual stats I can never find, but would like to see:

For recievers: Dropped Passes or missed routes

Some stat that shows how many times a player allowed their blocking assignment to make a tackle.

Missed assignments.

The King
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
A couple of useful individual stats I can never find, but would like to see:

For recievers: Dropped Passes or missed routes

Some stat that shows how many times a player allowed their blocking assignment to make a tackle.

Missed assignments.

If you go their you may also record stats on missed blocks, or tackles

dragonsdaddy
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
If you go their you may also record stats on missed blocks, or tackles

if you think 40 yd dash times are subjective, you'll really love missed block/tackle stats. talk about a coach's nightmare. you reckon the lb's dad would be up at the field house early when the dmn stats show jr missed 8 tackles friday night to lead the district.

The King
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
if you think 40 yd dash times are subjective, you'll really love missed block/tackle stats. talk about a coach's nightmare. you reckon the lb's dad would be up at the field house early when the dmn stats show jr missed 8 tackles friday night to lead the district.

Or the OL stats on missed or botched blocks. The scary thing is that I'm sure their is someone out their with enought time to count all those.

FootballCrazy727
08-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Or the OL stats on missed or botched blocks. The scary thing is that I'm sure their is someone out their with enought time to count all those.

that would be very hard to judge though. I mean theres no defenition of what a "missed" block is.

The King
08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
that would be very hard to judge though. I mean theres no defenition of what a "missed" block is.

Not really much harder than a missed tackle. Sometimes 3 or 4 defenders have an opportunity to make a tackle, who would get credited with the miss?

FootballCrazy727
08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Not really much harder than a missed tackle. Sometimes 3 or 4 defenders have an opportunity to make a tackle, who would get credited with the miss?

all of them.

powerofthehaka
08-03-2007, 03:06 PM

After the game-film has been reviewed all lineman get a grade. Been done for years.

FootballCrazy727
08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
After the game-film has been reviewed all lineman get a grade. Been done for years.

ya i know, i was a linemen last year at Grapevine, even though our coach didnt give us a grade. Im just saying it would be a hard stat to take during a game.

The King
08-05-2007, 05:38 PM
ya i know, i was a linemen last year at Grapevine, even though our coach didnt give us a grade. Im just saying it would be a hard stat to take during a game.

Trust me your coach knew how many blocks you missed in a game weather or not ha gave you a grade. So did your backfeild.

FootballCrazy727
08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
ya i know that but for a guy to just sitting up in the booth is different. To him a linebacker shooting through the line and getting a sack is the 0-lines fault when its usually the runningbacks. I HATE when that happens:mad:

The King
08-06-2007, 12:18 PM
ya i know that but for a guy to just sitting up in the booth is different. To him a linebacker shooting through the line and getting a sack is the 0-lines fault when its usually the runningbacks. I HATE when that happens:mad:

Usually the coaches get the final or at least most authoritative stats in the post game breakdown. Also your coach knows it was the RB's fault as well.

Firebird
08-07-2007, 02:53 AM
Right. It's hard for a guy up in the booth to get stats on missed blocks, especially if he doesn't know the blocking schemes. But coaches do know these things, and that is how linemen grade out after a game. Coaches are where you turn for the definitive stats for things like that.

The King
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Right. It's hard for a guy up in the booth to get stats on missed blocks, especially if he doesn't know the blocking schemes. But coaches do know these things, and that is how linemen grade out after a game. Coaches are where you turn for the definitive stats for things like that.

Just cause he is in the booth doesn't mean he know anything about football. But I have to say many schools use a lot of the same blocking schemes. Especially in pass blocking so anyone who has played in the OL can probably get pretty close to telling who missed what.

GHSalumni
08-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Haven't seen anyone chime in on defensive stats. I would argue that they are the most important. Such as Yards allowed per game. Any thoughts?

SGP 06 Alumni
08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Haven't seen anyone chime in on defensive stats. I would argue that they are the most important. Such as Yards allowed per game. Any thoughts?

Yards allowed per game isn't really the most useful stat on defense. A team could get a kick return for a TD, and have a defensive TD and win the game with 14 points while maybe only having a total of 150 offensive yards. I would think the percentage of 3rd down conversions given up by a defense would be more important, because that shows if the defense knows how to shutdown the offense at the most crutial time to get the ball back to their offense.

ntgnate08
02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
defiantly need to be total yards allowed by your defense.. and total yards for your offense..

t-long20
02-18-2008, 11:51 AM
The most useful stat is how many wins a team has. And also how much music their band intends to play during the game.

The King
03-12-2008, 12:00 PM
The most useful stat is how many wins a team has. And also how much music their band intends to play during the game.

And all this time I thought the most useful stats was the number of cheerleaders, even better when broken down by hair color eg. 5 blonds 6 brunettes, and 1 redhead.

Fleeman93
03-12-2008, 03:10 PM
And all this time I thought the most useful stats was the number of cheerleaders, even better when broken down by hair color eg. 5 blonds 6 brunettes, and 1 redhead.

1 Redhead is waaaaaaaaaaay too few!

Fleeman93
03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
In my opinion no one stat by itself is worth a flip other than turnover margin.

mojotrain
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
You can't win in just one area but maybe turnovers can have the most effect on a game. I might list field position (where you take the ball) just as important. That would include Punts, kick offs and-----turnovers.

The thing about turnovers is if you get one, it not only gives you a chance to get 6 points, out of turn so to speak. It make the bad guys lose their turn to score 6 points. Thats a possible 12 point turn around to me.

WestPlano006
04-05-2008, 01:02 AM
Time of Posession means nothing if you can drive 80 yards and chew up a lot of clock, but then stall by turning it over or missing a field goal. Very useless stat.

I think the most useful stat is the score.

Spart11
06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Time of Posession means nothing if you can drive 80 yards and chew up a lot of clock, but then stall by turning it over or missing a field goal. Very useless stat.

I think the most useful stat is the score.

True, True. But time of posession is still a good stat. good numbers in that column represent a solid team so either or.

The King
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
1 Redhead is waaaaaaaaaaay too few!

But she can still be too much to handle

velocio
08-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Just throwing this out here..

3rd down conversion percentage.

that's one of my favorites. You beat me to it. I also look at first downs, turn over margin and time of possesion as key to success. Mack Brown would throw in "explosive" plays as well.

coachg89
10-03-2008, 11:55 AM
1. Turnover Margin (+/-)
2. Explosives - plays of 30 yards or more (+/-)
3. Time of possession - can't score if you don't have the ball.

caesarscott
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
i'm sure somebody mentioned it but the most important stat is turnovers. followed closely by points off turnovers. if you go back and look at just turnovers you can tell the winner probably 80% of the time.

a good rule of thumb is you need about 100 yards of offense to overcome a turnover.