PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated stat?

Firebird
07-18-2007, 12:09 PM
What, in your opinion, is the most overrated stat that football gurus keep track of?

IMHO, it is time of possession. Especially in today's high-octane college and HS offenses, TOP just really isn't that big of a deal anymore. I would bet SLC is nowhere near the top ten in TOP statewide.

KT2000
07-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I would say time of possession also. TOP is only important if you are scoring TDs at the end of those long drives.

But just about any stat can be overrated depending on what's actually happening on the field. Averaging 40 points a game doesn't make you a good team if you allow 41.

As the quote goes...

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics."

Firebird
07-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I would say time of possession also. TOP is only important if you are scoring TDs at the end of those long drives.

But just about any stat can be overrated depending on what's actually happening on the field. Averaging 40 points a game doesn't make you a good team if you allow 41.

As the quote goes...

True dat, KT.

SLC93
07-18-2007, 01:04 PM

As the quote goes...

Speaker the truth, KT.:D

SLC93
07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Quartback ratings can be a little odd.

jakerz
07-18-2007, 01:47 PM
What, in your opinion, is the most overrated stat that football gurus keep track of?

IMHO, it is time of possession. Especially in today's high-octane college and HS offenses, TOP just really isn't that big of a deal anymore. I would bet SLC is nowhere near the top ten in TOP statewide.

Especially regarding high school athletes; weight and height. :(

TXFOOSBALL
07-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I would say "X" and "X-bar" are pretty overrated statistics.

Firebird
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Especially regarding high school athletes; weight and height. :(

I would say that for High Schoolers, 40 times are the biggest BS stat out there. Everyone is a "legit" 4.3 or 4.4, nevermind that that is Olympic track star speed.

Weight and height are slightly more reliable.

sgp3
07-18-2007, 09:14 PM
I would agree on that the forty time is over hype for real. :D

I would say that for High Schoolers, 40 times are the biggest BS stat out there. Everyone is a "legit" 4.3 or 4.4, nevermind that that is Olympic track star speed.

SGP 06 Alumni
07-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I think the most overrated stat is the QB rating. All you need to look at for a QB is how good his o-line is blocking for him and if he can drive his team down the field with under 2 minutes to go and cap it off with a winning score. The QB rating can be too easily effected by how well the o-line protects him, because a blind side hit to a QB can easily turn into an interception thrown...which in turn, effects his QB rating.

dragonsdaddy
07-21-2007, 03:27 PM

we average 2-3 top wins a year.

RidgePride
07-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree with those that say time of possession. One of the reasons is SLC's success and their ability to strike fast.

SLC DRAGON
07-26-2007, 05:01 PM
T.O.P. is huge just ask 2003 Katy. it worked for them. it just all depends on the offense u run. look @ plano. they run the ball. id bet they almost allwayse won the t.o.p. & they allmost alwayse won.

Reaganrattler07
07-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Yards. You can have a thousand yards and no TDs....

I think most important are TDs and turnovers.

"Least" important would be yards....and one could argue TOP but TOP is important to me.

svhorns
07-28-2007, 04:26 PM
post count is pretty overrated :D

The Wet Mustard
07-28-2007, 10:39 PM
wins and losses;)

BAMF cowboy
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Yards. You can have a thousand yards and no TDs....

I think most important are TDs and turnovers.

"Least" important would be yards....and one could argue TOP but TOP is important to me.

I don't think yards are overrated at all. A player can not score a TD, but have a 100 yard game and have a huge impact for his team. It's a good indicator to show a players involvement.

SteerPride09
08-06-2007, 04:56 AM
Posessions are the most overrated!

jrock210
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
to me its a toss up between TOP and the QB rating.

MidLineOption73
08-11-2007, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=Firebird;511654]I would say that for High Schoolers, 40 times are the biggest BS stat out there. QUOTE]

I totally agree. I think the more important stat would be a change of direction time. For instance the "L" drill that they use in the pro combine. How fast can a kid change direction so that he can make a play.

RidgePride
08-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Anyone else think returning starters is slightly overrated?

Especially if a team won maybe one or two playoff games. It does not guarantee that they will go any further the next year. In fact it may prove that their max level is two rounds in the playoffs.

The King
08-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Your right it can be deceptive especially on the occasion when you have a new school open and start varsity play with no seniors. the next season they return all their starters, but It is likely they got ran up and down the field all season the year before. They all have experience, but is it really good experience. On the other hand if your senior class has an injury prone season and you have to throw in a lot of underclassmen they are going in with a better situation, that may make for a rough season, but the next year you have a veteran squad that will come back with confidence.

CLFalcon2006
08-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Your right it can be deceptive especially on the occasion when you have a new school open and start varsity play with no seniors. the next season they return all their starters, but It is likely they got ran up and down the field all season the year before. They all have experience, but is it really good experience. On the other hand if your senior class has an injury prone season and you have to throw in a lot of underclassmen they are going in with a better situation, that may make for a rough season, but the next year you have a veteran squad that will come back with confidence.

returning starters does matter to an extent. For Lake's 05 run that entire team with one or two exceptions was returning starters. They all graduated and 2006 was a whole new team. Everyone expected us to be some sort of new dominate Houston power and we completely fell apart, experince is very very important. Another example would be A&M's defense in 2005, which had very little experince and thus was terrible, as they all gain experince though and keep returning were are getting better every year.

JudsonRocket05
09-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I think that TOP is very important if you are a team that runs a hard up the middle running offense. An example of this is the 8 minute drive by A&M last year against t.u.;)

ruffshod
09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
TOP, turnovers, and penalties.... not necessarily in that order are usually an indicator of wins and losses. Turnovers and penalties are often gamechangers, and TOP @ >+60% typically means you've controlled the ball and the clock.

Falcon16
10-09-2007, 02:30 PM

I agree 40 times are way out there. Pad speed is what you look for, give me someone that can find the ball and make the tackle over a coach taken 4.3.

zippy
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Depends on the team. T.O.P. for a team like SV is very important. Not that its a big deal to lead the stat, but its a big deal to control the game with their style of play (more so in the past).

Owl, Been there Done that
10-10-2007, 04:21 PM

TOP is only important if the teams are equally matched. I'm sure the stat was much more appropriate and reflective in their Miami game.

zippy
10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
TOP is only important if the teams are equally matched. I'm sure the stat was much more appropriate and reflective in their Miami game.

If you are a ball control team, SV/Katy, and you face a passing team, SLC, then TOP is your best friend. As long as you can keep up, which both have done, and manage the clock, which both have done, you can even the teams out so to speak. I dont think either matchup was ever equally matched. SLC was better than both teams. Katy beat them, and SV played with them closer than anyone the year they faced off. Had both Katy and SV not won the TOP battle, SLC beats them both by 14 or more.

Vols4Ever
10-11-2007, 02:55 PM
The most overrated stat is the Win Loss record. HA! Who cares about wins and losses anyways.

purebloodedpanther81
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
IMO, i think that interceptions are the most overrated stat in judging an individual CB. Maybe for a Safety, you could use int's. But for a CB, if you truly are a shut down corner to be feared, the ball would not be thrown your way, resulting in a lower amount of interceptions. IDK, but I would want to put my best WR on the weaker corner and throw that way. Meaning that the weaker corner has a chance at more INT's than the better CB.

Bottomline
02-11-2008, 06:06 PM
WR has got to be the most OVER RATED by far. The stat line will always tell you how many they caught but what about how many they DROPPED ? :D ... If it hit's them in the chest or hands, that should also count against the WR. QB gets a completion % why not the over rated WR's ?

KT2000
02-14-2008, 12:25 PM
WR has got to be the most OVER RATED by far. The stat line will always tell you how many they caught but what about how many they DROPPED ? :D ... If it hit's them in the chest or hands, that should also count against the WR. QB gets a completion % why not the over rated WR's ?

It balances out. After all, they don't dock the QB whenever a receiver bails him out on a bad throw into coverage and/or away from his body.

Also, WR blocks that help spring runners downfield for big gainers are also largely unnoticed and not rewarded in the stat column.

:)

wesaxman34
06-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I think that TOP is very important if you are a team that runs a hard up the middle running offense. An example of this is the 8 minute drive by A&M last year against t.u.;)

Yeah, these days, TOP isn't relevant to the spread offense teams.

However, teams like my Trinity Trojans who play old school power football, TOP is a huge factor in their success. Score on long, drawn out possessions and make a few stops on defense....boom another W.

DragonFan0316
06-17-2008, 08:34 AM

Because sometimes the trow is so far off, we can't tell who it was intended for.:p

wesaxman34
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Because sometimes the trow is so far off, we can't tell who it was intended for.:p

As Lee Corso says: "Heh, I know who the intended receiver was; I think the intended receiver was the safety."

The King
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
As Lee Corso says: "Heh, I know who the intended receiver was; I think the intended receiver was the safety."

It is a great thing for your team when one of your defensive backs is the leading receiver for the other team.

chhspantherfan
06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

number of posts on 5ATexasFootball.com message board ;)