PDA

View Full Version : Lufkin's QB's

LP-79
05-03-2005, 12:06 AM
I just find it amazing that an east Texas high school has 2 starting quarterbacks in the big 12. According to the Baylor website Terrance Parks had an excellent scrimmage the other day. I know he has missed a lot of practice due to keeping his grades up. You can not say enough about Reggie. I hope he wins the Heisman this year! Maybe the Cowboys will draft him next year so they would have a decent QB! LOL Now Lufkin has another Junior QB that is supposed to be very good. Plus 2 more in Junior high that look good. It says a lot for the program the coaches have going on in Lufkin. A winning tradition means more kids want to play, so you have more talent. You can just reload instead of rebuilding.

RGVBadBoy
05-03-2005, 12:09 AM
yeah, whatever dude!!!!!! why dont you just rub it in our face a little bit more!!!!!! :D J/k thats good for ya'll

LP-79
05-03-2005, 12:13 AM
I know when I was in school we always had 1 or 2 good players. Jimmy Kegler ( God rest his soul ) Ronnie Blake were 2. Great players and we won more than we lost. Just could never get over the hump to be a good team that won consistently. Even though Ronnie did help us win state in basketball our senior year.

PackAttack2005
05-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Yes, we do have more QB's on the way and yes junior Jeremy Claybon will make some think of a certain #16 that played at Lufkin. People from around the State continue to wonder how Lufkin , a small community of 35,000 people can continue to turn out the athletes year after year. How can we be 5A with only 35,000 people?

How can we continue winning against the larger schools?

Simple, it is great coaching, great talent, tradition, community, winning attitude (expecting to win every time you walk on the field), family atmosphere and did I say community. We are a one community together with one high school and a linage of great athletes that goes back decades, many from the old Lufkin Dunbar days and all the great teams and championships they won in the old black athletic conference. Many of those kids playing today at Lufkin are the sons, nephews and grandchildren of those great athletes from the Lufkin Dunbar era. You see the talent stayed in Lufkin and did not get watered down through suburban growth. It took someone like Coach John Outlaw and his assist coaches to figure out how to make all that talent work and become winners. To build a program of success and to harness the talent that has always been here.

We start them young in youth football and then from the 7th grade to varsity they all run the same offensive and defensive schemes, these kids grow up together playing football in the community. We just needed to have the right person to build the foundations for success and we found that man in John Outlaw in 1995.

This provides consistency and stability for our program, now we don't rebuild, we reload and we do it with many less resources available the school and our players than at other top schools have to work with.

As long as John Outlaw is coach, Lufkin will always be a very competitive program.

Bootsdaddy
05-03-2005, 01:50 AM
How old is Coach Outlaw?

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Yes, we do have more QB's on the way and yes junior Jeremy Claybon will make some think of a certain #16 that played at Lufkin. People from around the State continue to wonder how Lufkin , a small community of 35,000 people can continue to turn out the athletes year after year. How can we be 5A with only 35,000 people?

How can we continue winning against the larger schools?

Simple, it is great coaching, great talent, tradition, community, winning attitude (expecting to win every time you walk on the field), family atmosphere and did I say community. We are a one community together with one high school and a linage of great athletes that goes back decades, many from the old Lufkin Dunbar days and all the great teams and championships they won in the old black athletic conference. Many of those kids playing today at Lufkin are the sons, nephews and grandchildren of those great athletes from the Lufkin Dunbar era. You see the talent stayed in Lufkin and did not get watered down through suburban growth. It took someone like Coach John Outlaw and his assist coaches to figure out how to make all that talent work and become winners. To build a program of success and to harness the talent that has always been here.

We start them young in youth football and then from the 7th grade to varsity they all run the same offensive and defensive schemes, these kids grow up together playing football in the community. We just needed to have the right person to build the foundations for success and we found that man in John Outlaw in 1995.

This provides consistency and stability for our program, now we don't rebuild, we reload and we do it with many less resources available the school and our players than at other top schools have to work with.

As long as John Outlaw is coach, Lufkin will always be a very competitive program.
Is he wearing #16 this year?

PackAttack2005
05-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Coach Outlaw is 51 and Jeremy Claybon will wear #5.

Scooter I hate to disappoint you, our game with PAM is only a one year deal. Lufkin does not plan to reschedule PAM after we play in September.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 08:11 AM

Scooter I hate to disappoint you, our game with PAM is only a one year deal. Lufkin does not plan to reschedule PAM after we play in September.
Dang it! It's all Colbert fault!!!! :mad:

BigFanSLC
05-03-2005, 09:00 AM
better hope that #5 or whoever starts for Lufkin at QB knows how to stop SLC bc most likely they will meet again if both have great years...

pack0808
05-03-2005, 09:40 AM
who was the qb for lufkin on the 98 team?? i am completely going blank?? he was a solid qb?? what happened to him?? i know he was a white kid?? i remember he got hurt and could not play against lake highlands in the regional finals when lufkin lost that absolute hear breaker when they fumbled at the 1 yard line.

TheDuke
05-03-2005, 10:22 AM
I just find it amazing that an east Texas high school has 2 starting quarterbacks in the big 12. According to the Baylor website Terrance Parks had an excellent scrimmage the other day. I know he has missed a lot of practice due to keeping his grades up. You can not say enough about Reggie. I hope he wins the Heisman this year! Maybe the Cowboys will draft him next year so they would have a decent QB! LOL Now Lufkin has another Junior QB that is supposed to be very good. Plus 2 more in Junior high that look good. It says a lot for the program the coaches have going on in Lufkin. A winning tradition means more kids want to play, so you have more talent. You can just reload instead of rebuilding.

Vince Young will win the Heisman over McNeil I think this year, but he is a very good QB though.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Vince Young will win the Heisman over McNeil I think this year, but he is a very good QB though.
I'm a longhorn fan and about to say this----Reggie McNeal is a better QB than Young. Young just has the talent around him, hell Reggie beat Oklahoma Young hasn't.

PantherPack
05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Pack0808 that was Brian Bradford, but that was the 99 graduating class. They lost to Lake Highlands at SFA. Bradford went on and had a nice punting career at Texas. I think he's still in the Austin area. Don't know what he's doing.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Was his jersey number #6?

pack0808
05-03-2005, 11:12 AM
v young has almost no shot at qb in the nfl because of his lack of reading defenses and his lack of arm strength on certain types of passes like 20 yard outs. he is an absolute amazing athlete and he will be in the nfl but it will not be at qb. i am thinking wr or cb. that is just my opinion. just look at jason white from oklahoma who was like 37-3 as a starter and he was a heisman winner. he was not even drafted this year and when he went to try out coach vermeil told him to go tryout for the arena league. the nfl does not care what team you came from and what your record was in college. they look for certain skills and if the player does not have them they will not be a qb in the nfl. another example, heisman award winner and national champ winner charlie ward from florida st. he was not drafted either. he is now an nba player. r mcneal has a much better shot at making the nfl as a qb then v young. you mark my words. either way, both of them will be playing in the nfl soon at some position because they are such phenomenal athlettes.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Perriloux messed up the whole dang season! You put him at QB Young out at WR with Sweed and Shipley and holy **** Jamaal Charles at RB. Unstoppable Offense with a good o-line. dam LSU! :mad: :eek:

wide-e-wide
05-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Arena League...OMG...stop! let me catch my breath...
Boomer Sooner's messiah is going to be lacing up with the
Arizona Rattlers? hahahahahaha.....wait let me catch my breath
again...okay...what if he's a back-up?...OMG that would be priceless.

I have an overwhelming hatred for anything Sooner puts out...
With the exception being Roy Williams...You put a star on your
helmet and end people's seasons...all is forgiven.

dragonsdaddy
05-03-2005, 12:42 PM
wide, you can at least breathe with some hope of winning a rrs, since white finally won't be there in uniform. oh i forgot, stoops will still be there, as will mack. never mind.

wide-e-wide
05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Overall record in the Red River Shootout....scoreboard.

dragonsdaddy
05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
hope you have slept soundly thinking of all those wins in the last century. see, ancient history is valuable. best news mack has heard is that we don't care what you've done lately, just remember those wins long ago and far away. ahhhhh

stumpman8
05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
who was the qb for lufkin on the 98 team?? i am completely going blank?? he was a solid qb?? what happened to him?? i know he was a white kid?? i remember he got hurt and could not play against lake highlands in the regional finals when lufkin lost that absolute hear breaker when they fumbled at the 1 yard line.
brian bradford was the '98 qb cory hadnot replaced him and fumbled on the one yard line. Bradford went on to punt at Trinity Valley JC and the Started at Texas his last two seasons

LP-79
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I for one am glad times have changed. Back in the 70's and early 80's everybody in east texas played power running football. 3 yards and a cloud of dust! I really enjoy watching the spread offense. It is more suited to High school programs. In east texas very few teams in 4a and 5a still run the old power I or wing T except in certain situations. Dang look at Jasper, They are known as a running team, but they do it out of the spread formation.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM
I for one am glad times have changed. Back in the 70's and early 80's everybody in east texas played power running football. 3 yards and a cloud of dust! I really enjoy watching the spread offense. It is more suited to High school programs. In east texas very few teams in 4a and 5a still run the old power I or wing T except in certain situations. Dang look at Jasper, They are known as a running team, but they do it out of the spread formation.
Yeah and they have I think the best QB in the state, forget a classification. Your gonna be hearing about Gilbert Moye for a while. he's gonna be a Junior next year. :)
I haven't seen a better QB than him since that guy that played in Lufkin. I think he wore #16. :D

Favpack
05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Pack0808 that was Brian Bradford, but that was the 99 graduating class. They lost to Lake Highlands at SFA. Bradford went on and had a nice punting career at Texas. I think he's still in the Austin area. Don't know what he's doing.

PP - I'm not sure exactly when Brian qb'd. If memory serves me that team's qb was a slightly built kid that was a lefty - pretty deceptive arm. I think his dad was a doctor - was his name Morris?

dragonsdaddy
05-03-2005, 04:47 PM
dang, that names familiar.

pack4life
05-03-2005, 06:34 PM
brian bradford was the '98 qb cory hadnot replaced him and fumbled on the one yard line. Bradford went on to punt at Trinity Valley JC and the Started at Texas his last two seasons

Man i remember that game like it was yesterday!! That fumble on the one made me sick... that had to be one of the funnest games!! That sure was a packed house at SFA, but nothing like it was when we played lview there this past year!!.... but anyway, if he scores we more than likely go down to the state semi's and play midland lee and cedric benson :eek:

stumpman8
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
PP - I'm not sure exactly when Brian qb'd. If memory serves me that team's qb was a slightly built kid that was a lefty - pretty deceptive arm. I think his dad was a doctor - was his name Morris?
no ur thinking of jason carter on the team that lost to plano in texas stadium and had denvis manns

Bootsdaddy
05-03-2005, 10:31 PM

I didnt know he was that young! Hopefully he will stay in Lufkin for 10-15 more years!

LP-79
05-04-2005, 06:53 AM
I hope Outlaw stays so long they have to buy him a scooter to get around the football field!

wide-e-wide
05-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Let's just hope he doesn't pull a Joe Pa and stay till he is 108...

dragonsdaddy
05-04-2005, 08:11 AM
if he continues to field winners until he's 103, then you'll have a great tradeoff.

pack0808
05-04-2005, 10:08 AM

you still have top teams playing running football in running formations lp-79. katy, judson, dallas carter, smithson valley mostly, longview, spring westfield, trinity, arlington lamar, north shore just to name a few. running football behind big offensive lines will never die.

LP-79
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Was Carter the QB when Lufkin was ranked #1 preseason and lost their first 3 games? He could throw the ball a country mile, but was not very accurate.

KLH75287
05-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I love this board.

Reggie is a great athlete, as is Vince. I'm not certain either one will make NFL QB's. Reggie would be a great DB IMHO. Vince could be a phenom at WR with his size, strength, and speed. Neither one of them are coming from a system that produces great NFL QB's with any regularity. Please don't post anything about Chris Simms being in the NFL.... :rolleyes:

As far as the RRS past history and more importantly the last few years, I have to go with D'Daddy on this one. Stoops OWNS Mack Brown, and I would be incredibly shocked to see that change any time soon.

I did appreciate the post about J. White and the arena league, that was funny.

GO PACK IN '05

pack98
05-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Well that was a heck of a year. well in 97 we got up to # 3 in the state and lost our first 3 district games but beat 3 1 jhon tyler that year and then we lost a close game with Tyler lee at home for a playoff spot or a chance to get in. That year Jhon tyler, Lufkin and Longview were all ranked in the TOP 5 in the STATE and in the TOP 50 in the Nation all from the same district that was a very good time. i have a article at home that a writter wrote in Florida callng 12-5a the best district in the nation to play football that was a fun time. but we missed out on the playoffs taht year going 7-3 after we won our first 5 in a row.

In 98 my senior year we had one of the best seasons that a lufkin Team has ever had going 10-4 and loosign a close game that we should won with a fumble on the 1 yard line that would have put us up for good but we got beat by lake highlands and it was a great game. Brian bradford was our Qb he was hurt that game so corey Hadnot played for us.

that season was fun going to double overtime to georgetown after being up 28-0 then playing at texas Stadium and beating plano east and coach outlaw took us to the Star and talked to us. That was a great yar to be a panther and that is what started the great run of playoff teams for the pantehrs and the tradition that we have now after that year everyoneknew that LUFKIN was no Joke for sure and would be good for years to come.

On that team we have 3 playing in the NFL NOW. T.Kiel-chargers,r--hadnot_dolphins. S-Hamiliton. not sure were he is at.

On that team
R.Mcneil-freshmen
J.parks-freshman
P. williams
t.williams
W.smallwood
L.sheeperd
L.Adams those last 3 are the best linebackers to come threw lufkin
d.rodgers.
a.mccoy
j.taylor
and the list can go on that year was stackd with talent and if brian does not get hurt the gamebefore LH who knows what would have happned that Saturday afternoon at SFA.

GO PANTHERS ALLWAYS A PANTHER FOR LIFE.

GO PACK LETS KEEP THE TRADITION ALIVE.

pack4life
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
Was beau mulbach on that team also?? if so he is deep snapping for the lions..

pack98
05-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Yep i forgot about him. told you that list goes on and on.

that was the Lufkin team tah could do everything..

GO PANTHERS. we are getting old it is bout time for our 10 year reunion in 3 years it seems like yesterdy we were playing.

GO PACK

Favpack
05-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks Pack98 - good job. Shepherd was definitely one of the very best LB's I ever saw - what a beast! He was the closest thing to a high school version of Butkus or Singletary I've seen. Wonder where the dude is now?

Texasfrog
05-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Pack98 - good job. Shepherd was definitely one of the very best LB's I ever saw - what a beast! He was the closest thing to a high school version of Butkus or Singletary I've seen. Wonder where the dude is now?

I dont know what happened to Shepard. He was one very good LB that I thought would have a great college career (Tx A&M) and possible NFL career. He did have a little bit of an attitude and a few other bad vices I wont talk about here.

To the dude that says Reggie McNeal would make a good NFL "DB". Well, that's not even remotely close to the truth. First, Reggie McNeal doesnt like "contact." Trust me I know. Second, he would make a "GREAT" slot-receiver. I mean "GREAT!" I look for Reggie to turn into a NFL Wr.

He played Wr at Lufkin his freshman and somp year until he took over at QB halfway through his "somp" year.

PackAttack2005
05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Pack 98, you are right, that was the year that the Pack finally started the move toward a top program in Texas high school football. That 1998 year was one I will never forget.

Bootsdaddy
05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Was Carter the QB when Lufkin was ranked #1 preseason and lost their first 3 games? He could throw the ball a country mile, but was not very accurate.

Im not sure who the QB was but i believe you are talking about the '89 team. From what I remember they were #2 preseason and ended up 4-5-1.

Bootsdaddy
05-06-2005, 12:08 AM

That guy was a great high school LB. I remember he played on the kickoff coverage team and would go down and absolutely destroy the wedge. Fast, strong, and a mean streak. I believe he is probably in Lufkin Land.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-06-2005, 07:55 AM
That guy was a great high school LB. I remember he played on the kickoff coverage team and would go down and absolutely destroy the wedge. Fast, strong, and a mean streak. I believe he is probably in Lufkin Land.
Last time I saw him was at the Longview game back in '03. He's still HUGE! Wish he could've enjoyed A&M along with Reggie, Big Ju Parks and T-Kiel.

PackAttack2005
05-06-2005, 08:48 AM
L. Shepards brother wasn't bad either. Jacoby Shepard went on to the NFL and has played CB for the Rams, Texans, Packers and Raiders in the last 4 or 5 years.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
L. Shepards brother wasn't bad either. Jacoby Shepard went on to the NFL and has played CB for the Rams, Texans, Packers and Raiders in the last 4 or 5 years.
Didn't he win a super bowl with the Rams????

PantherPack
05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
That was Lee's brother, cousin or somethin I think. LeeBrandon Shepherd was the best high school football player I have ever witnessed, and I have witnessed the likes of Reggie McNeal, Javorski Lane, Derrick Johnson and the list goes on. He was the most exciting player ever. Man if he could have just kept his nose clean.

PantherPack
05-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Jacoby wasn't Lee's brother... sorry

PackAttack2005
05-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Were they cousins?, I know they were related.

Texasfrog
05-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Were they cousins?, I know they were related.

Cousins...

pack0808
05-06-2005, 11:39 AM

wasn't wilbur smallwood on those teams. i loved watching that guy play linebacker. he was in on every tackle!! he led the team in tackles 3 years in a row i do believe. yall forget he was injured in that playoff run in 98 or 99 when losing to lake highlands. he played that game but he was not near 100 percent. i also loved lb watching hunter slatton. he was small but had a huge heart and he would hit you in the mouth in a big way.

pack98
05-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I hope he is doing well he was a good kid just got in troble after A&M he went to MCNeese St. and was the leading tackler and got in troble there. I hope he is doing well. He was a BEAST and one of the best linebackers to come threw texas if you ask coach outlaw abot any player he would say Shep was the one who had NFL all over him.

We had a great group of linebackers. that year. With W.Smallwood-MIKE
L.SheP-Will and L. Adams-Strongside. nothing got by them. everyone in our secondary went on to college. and played. T.bolton,D.Rodgers,T.kieel.C.flakes all signed letters that team was stacked both our rRb signed letters the williams not related. 3 O-line went on to college and 2 ar in the NFL. that is why i argue and say the 98 team is the best to come threw LUfkin. the state champion ship team was great but i dont think deep down inside they could have beat our team of course who does reggie play for the 98 team or the state team that is the key but even with reggie i dont thin he could have got past the 3 linebackers we had. or they could have stoped S. hamiliton he got a td in everygame and made people look so bad oh and another wr we had got a letter to. D. Jones the list can go on and on.

WELL GO PANTHERS CANT WAIT TO GET HOME AND WATCH SOME GAMES.

we are heading home and pull in Sandiego soon after our stop in Australia.

GO PACK
GO HORNS.

pack0808
05-06-2005, 11:54 AM
i think the 98 team and the 03 team had the most talent. just look at the div1 recruits on those my lord. :eek: the 98 team has 3 or 4 current nfl players which is amazing!! they had the most talent but they were not the best lufkin teams. the 98 team did not have a great rb or qb which killed them in the long run.

PantherPack
05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Man that was a good team. That game against Plano in Texas Stadium was awesome. Man I use to be scared to look at Shep around school.

pack98
05-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Well I will beg to say that in 98 both P. Williams and T. williams had over 1,000 yard apiece that season so you figure if one just plays then he is well over 1,000. both had diffrient things they could do so the RB spot was a strong point lane is the best come threw but he had all the yardage we had those 2 over 1,000 that is amazing. and i will agree with the b we did not have the best but brian got the job done was not to mobile but was a good passer and a stong heart he was a leader and played teh game and a healthy brian in the Lh game it could have turned out another story..

oh and C. hadnot palyed back to with some yardage to. he broke that 70 yeard nice run against tyler lee at rose stadium that sent us to the playoffs that year and we won that game in close fashion.

Go Pack.

PantherPack
05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Pack98 who were you on that team? What position?

pack98
05-06-2005, 12:30 PM
#80. L.Booker. My brother payed lat year. T.booker and my brother E.booker played this year. Tanner signed with Texas College last year and had a good season for thim.

Go Pack

Who is This?

PantherPack
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Allright I remember your name. I was a couple years younger than ya, my sister was your age though.

wide-e-wide
05-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Best linebacker to ever come through Lufkin?

I gotta go with Vargas...I know it was a long time ago
but dude was all over the place. Figured out Carter's cadence
and blitzed almost every down...
...still couldn't stop 'em though.

Bootsdaddy
05-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Best linebacker to ever come through Lufkin?

I gotta go with Vargas...I know it was a long time ago
but dude was all over the place. Figured out Carter's cadence
and blitzed almost every down...
...still couldn't stop 'em though.

You guys are forgetting Derrick "Moon Man" White who played LB in the '80's. Graduated in '87 I believe. After many years of problems he is now a minister at a local church! Unbelievable!

wide-e-wide
05-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Wow didn't know "Moon man" was preaching...good for him.
I didn't forget about him...I just thought he played safety...

Don't say back in the 80's like that...you make me feel old...
I was there and that is kinda scary...I heard the Gap Band on
the "oldies" station earlier today...and I said to my wife...it's official..
there are songs on the "oldies" station that I ACTUALLY REMEMBER....
that's messed up...ha ha...

What about Michael Harper? Wasn't a bad ball-player either.
He has to get an honorable mention for sporting that "curl" for
like 15 years...he was a db though...

wide-e-wide
05-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Nope it's the right thread...just the wrong page of it.

Bootsdaddy
05-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Huh? Wromg thread?

wide-e-wide
05-06-2005, 11:04 PM
hope you have slept soundly thinking of all those wins in the last century. see, ancient history is valuable. best news mack has heard is that we don't care what you've done lately, just remember those wins long ago and far away. ahhhhh

Long ago...?

From 1989-1999 the Longhorns were 8-2-1 in the Red River Shootout...

Is that ancient history? Dang...I must be super old then.

Dumb boomersooners have such short memories.

Just look at it based on the last 16 years...Longhorns can still say

SCOREBOARD...

Know your facts homie...you start trying to smash on my beloved Horns and the gloves come off.

dragonsdaddy
05-07-2005, 10:18 AM
are there any present whorns who have seen the sooners lose to tu who didn't have to buy a ticket to get in? that is the history that counts for anything on these teams. i'm betting that very few players in bo unis cares much about wins or losses during the clinton years. just a thought.

wide-e-wide
05-07-2005, 10:25 AM
For that matter...last year doesn't matter...
my point was that OU hasn't always had Texas' number...
and it wasn't 50 years ago...That they were on the other
end of the whuppins..

dragonsdaddy
05-07-2005, 10:30 AM
you must agree that the only people who care about wins or losses 10 years hence are those of us who buy tickets. the players do remember what has gone on during their tenure, and are effected by it. obviously there have been great streaks by the horns, but not recently, and that is likely to continue until mack is doing something besides coaching.

dragonfootballfan
05-07-2005, 10:32 AM
you must agree that the only people who care about wins or losses 10 years hence are those of us who buy tickets. the players do remember what has gone on during their tenure, and are effected by it. obviously there have been great streaks by the horns, but not recently, and that is likely to continue until mack is doing something besides coaching.
there have been good streaks by the horns recently like the current five game streak they have over Texas A&M

dragonsdaddy
05-07-2005, 10:39 AM
tu has great winning averages recently against most everyone except the crimson and cream.

stumpman8
05-07-2005, 02:55 PM
no don muhlbach was on that team beau is the basketball player who went to arizona and transferred to tamu

pack0808
05-07-2005, 10:47 PM
pack98, yes that lufkin team had a tremendous amount of talent. 3 or 4?? future nfl players and many div1 recruits. but they were not near as dominant as some of the panther teams after them. that team had 4 losses even though most of those came in the toughest district in the nation at the time. that team had maybe the best talent but they were not dominant and the team chemistry was not great. just my opinion. you should be proud of that team though and i know you are. if that team had a reggie mcneal or a parks at qb they would have been absolutely spooky.

Lp78
05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
The Lufkin team that was rated #3 Nationally that lost its 1st three game. Coach: Pat Culpeper. QB Eric Achinson, went on to McNeese.

wide-e-wide
05-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I agree with you for the most part about Coach Culpepper.
But I do think before he came Lufkin's program was waaaay
behind. He came to Lufkin at a time where the players had never
practiced together until the 10th grade! He started the quickness and
agility drills at the 7th grade level...and changed the program so that
Jr. High East and West worked together more. Also started the boot camps during the summer and leading up to the school year.

Now as far as his coaching style. I played for him...and I would have to say it was strange...Blaring the aggy war hymn and turning the heat on in the gym in July was a little much. Every time I hear that freakin' song I have flashbacks.
We were nationally ranked under him at one time. But ended up having a very disappointing season. Anybody remember Dwayne "Flute" Castle?...he was our running back...and was a helluva ballplayer.

PACK '97
05-09-2005, 11:07 AM
yes, I remember Castle. What about Eric Curl and Matt McCall. Were'nt they on the team in the late 80's?

wide-e-wide
05-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Yep...I think McCall graduated in '88. And Eric Curl with his towel hanging behind him that read "bye bye"...Actually played QB his junior year. But was much better suited as a halfback. Michael Carroll was an awesome back on those teams as well. Along with Flournoy at fullback.

pack0808
05-09-2005, 02:40 PM
jeremy rogers was a huge safety with giant hands.

wide-e-wide
05-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, Rogers would knock you into next week.
Hey Pack0808- remember Clarence Jolly? His brother
was Darryl Thomas...dude was 6'1 in the 6th grade...

Also on those LP teams in the late 80's --Eddie Thompson
dude was beast at receiver/tight end. Ended up going in the
Army and fighting in the Gulf War.

PackAttack2005
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Jeremy Rogers has been helping to coach the Lufkin 7 on 7 teams the last few years. If you think he was big in HS, he is about 6'4" 300lbs now.

wide-e-wide
05-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah...almost 2 decades later...the good 'ol southern cookin' and
the good 'ol St. Louis beverages..will add on some pounds.

Lp78
05-09-2005, 11:02 PM
Do any of you Lufkin fans remember Larry Clark (73-75) Pound for pound one the best Lb's I've seen come through Lufkin.

PackAttack2005
05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Yes, I remember Larry. I think his son will be a freshmen offensive lineman this season. He is about 6'3" 320 lb guy, he worked out for the varsity today in practice. He had on a gold JV jersey, so I don't know if he will move up or not. Larry was a tough player .

lufkin_82
05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
who was the qb for lufkin on the 98 team?? i am completely going blank?? he was a solid qb?? what happened to him?? i know he was a white kid?? i remember he got hurt and could not play against lake highlands in the regional finals when lufkin lost that absolute hear breaker when they fumbled at the 1 yard line.i think it was brian carter

lufkin_82
05-14-2005, 10:15 PM
i think it was brian carternope sorry, it was brian bradford. he played qb and punted. eventually punted at UT also

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
05-14-2005, 11:34 PM

The Mulbach ur thinking of is Don...Beau played basketball for Arizona before transferring to A&M...beau may go nba if he does well in college

Woodlander
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Perriloux messed up the whole dang season! You put him at QB Young out at WR with Sweed and Shipley and holy **** Jamaal Charles at RB. Unstoppable Offense with a good o-line. dam LSU! :mad: :eek:
Yeah Young is a NFL caliber WR and Perriloux could of won the Heisman in Texas' offense!