PDA

View Full Version : Texas: Land of Quarterbacks (Brownwood, Baytown Lee, and Waco High)

supercentex
05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Texas: Land of Quarterbacks

May 2, 2005 -- In our comprehensive update of Texas schoolboy quarterbacks across the college football landscape, Brownwood's Kirby Freeman has been named the backup at Miami, while Robert Johnson and Brian Johnson look to be the new starters at Arkansas and Utah, respectively.

So much for Texas being a running back state.

Coach Larry Coker announced last week that 6-5, 208-pound sophomore Kyle Wright held off the talented freshman in Freeman for the job vacated by Brock Berlin. Wright should start the Sept. 5 opener at rival Florida State.

"It's something I've been waiting for three years now," said Wright, who enrolled at Miami in January 2003. "It's definitely a good feeling to know my hard work is starting to pay off. But there's a lot more hard work ahead, to get to where I want to be personally and where we need to be as a team."

Freeman, who earned praise from teammates and coaches during the spring for how he and Wright handled the quarterback battle, said he'll continue to do all he can to support his team -- and its new starter.

This needed to be done," said Freeman, who threw for 2,941 yards and 24 TDs, and ran for 2,091 yards and 32 TDs in his last two seasons at Brownwood. "We needed to come out and we needed to name a leader for this team. That's what we've done. Kyle knows I've got his back, 100 percent."

(For the very latest free recruiting news and our latest on the commitments in the Class of 2006, please click to http://texasfootball.com/05blue_0207.html.)

By all accounts, Wright and Freeman each had strong spring practice seasons. They have different styles; Wright is the strong-armed, comfortable-in-the-pocket type, while the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Freeman is more mobile and equally effective running and throwing.

Wright had better numbers in the Hurricanes' spring game earlier this month, completing 10 of 13 passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns. Freeman was 7-for-18 for 109 yards, and had two interceptions.

"Kyle's probably a little further ahead, having been here an additional year," said Coker, who's 44-6 in his four seasons leading the Hurricanes. "His knowledge of the offense gives him a little edge. ... Kyle knows he can't relax, and Kirby knows now he's going to pour the heat on."

In Arkansas, Johnson looks like the favorite to replace the departed Matt Jones at quarterback after a promising spring. Johnson will be pushed by Alex Mortensen and Cole Barthel.

"Robert is slightly ahead because he knows the system a little better," said Arkansas coach Houston Nutt. "He's a big, athletic guy that has to get better at consistently making the right decisions and being accurate. Alex probably made some of the bigger throws all spring by staying in the pocket. He's highly intelligent, goes through his reads, gets rid of the ball and was very accurate. Cole kept coming and got better as spring went on.

"Everything goes back to the quarterback. Who is going to take the ball for us? Who is going to take this team and put it in the end zone. There was a lot of improvement made. We wish we had gotten a few more scrimmage snaps, but we'll get that now with the depth of the offensive line when we come back. There will not be much room for error. Robert has a little more understanding of everything because he's had more reps and practice. He's a good athlete. We just want him to be more consistent with his decision making, but he threw some good balls this spring and got out of trouble."

At Utah, 'Quarterback U' at the Texas high school football level - Baytown Lee - has another promising signal caller surfacing in the college ranks. Brian Johnson, who followed Tate for the Ganders, established himself this spring as the Utes' top quarterback heading into fall practice.

Johnson took the majority of the snaps for both teams in Utah's spring game late last month. The 6-2 Johnson connected on 19 of 33 passes for 258 yards, three TDs and two interceptions.

Johnson will replace Heisman Trophy finalist Alex Smith, who was taken by the San Francisco 49ers as the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. Before becoming Utah's highest draft pick ever, Smith led the Utes to a 12-0 record and a victory over Pittsburgh in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl last season.

The Utes have also won back-to-back Mountain West Conference championships.

"I feel I'm coming along fairly well, but I have some big shoes to fill," Johnson said. "We are not exactly were we want to be, but we have this summer to work on what we need too. Alex (Smith) had a great season and I'm happy to see him going in the first round."

CoppellCowboy57
05-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Good for Texas QBs, I still say Dallas has alot of good running backs.

NewSherriffInTown
05-02-2005, 02:35 PM
The QBs are coming out because of the spread offense that EVERYONE must run now.

slcdragons
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Texas: Land of Quarterbacks

May 2, 2005 -- In our comprehensive update of Texas schoolboy quarterbacks across the college football landscape, Brownwood's Kirby Freeman has been named the backup at Miami, while Robert Johnson and Brian Johnson look to be the new starters at Arkansas and Utah, respectively.

So much for Texas being a running back state.

Coach Larry Coker announced last week that 6-5, 208-pound sophomore Kyle Wright held off the talented freshman in Freeman for the job vacated by Brock Berlin. Wright should start the Sept. 5 opener at rival Florida State.

"It's something I've been waiting for three years now," said Wright, who enrolled at Miami in January 2003. "It's definitely a good feeling to know my hard work is starting to pay off. But there's a lot more hard work ahead, to get to where I want to be personally and where we need to be as a team."

Freeman, who earned praise from teammates and coaches during the spring for how he and Wright handled the quarterback battle, said he'll continue to do all he can to support his team -- and its new starter.

This needed to be done," said Freeman, who threw for 2,941 yards and 24 TDs, and ran for 2,091 yards and 32 TDs in his last two seasons at Brownwood. "We needed to come out and we needed to name a leader for this team. That's what we've done. Kyle knows I've got his back, 100 percent."

(For the very latest free recruiting news and our latest on the commitments in the Class of 2006, please click to http://texasfootball.com/05blue_0207.html.)

By all accounts, Wright and Freeman each had strong spring practice seasons. They have different styles; Wright is the strong-armed, comfortable-in-the-pocket type, while the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Freeman is more mobile and equally effective running and throwing.

Wright had better numbers in the Hurricanes' spring game earlier this month, completing 10 of 13 passes for 159 yards and two touchdowns. Freeman was 7-for-18 for 109 yards, and had two interceptions.

"Kyle's probably a little further ahead, having been here an additional year," said Coker, who's 44-6 in his four seasons leading the Hurricanes. "His knowledge of the offense gives him a little edge. ... Kyle knows he can't relax, and Kirby knows now he's going to pour the heat on."

In Arkansas, Johnson looks like the favorite to replace the departed Matt Jones at quarterback after a promising spring. Johnson will be pushed by Alex Mortensen and Cole Barthel.

"Robert is slightly ahead because he knows the system a little better," said Arkansas coach Houston Nutt. "He's a big, athletic guy that has to get better at consistently making the right decisions and being accurate. Alex probably made some of the bigger throws all spring by staying in the pocket. He's highly intelligent, goes through his reads, gets rid of the ball and was very accurate. Cole kept coming and got better as spring went on.

"Everything goes back to the quarterback. Who is going to take the ball for us? Who is going to take this team and put it in the end zone. There was a lot of improvement made. We wish we had gotten a few more scrimmage snaps, but we'll get that now with the depth of the offensive line when we come back. There will not be much room for error. Robert has a little more understanding of everything because he's had more reps and practice. He's a good athlete. We just want him to be more consistent with his decision making, but he threw some good balls this spring and got out of trouble."

At Utah, 'Quarterback U' at the Texas high school football level - Baytown Lee - has another promising signal caller surfacing in the college ranks. Brian Johnson, who followed Tate for the Ganders, established himself this spring as the Utes' top quarterback heading into fall practice.

Johnson took the majority of the snaps for both teams in Utah's spring game late last month. The 6-2 Johnson connected on 19 of 33 passes for 258 yards, three TDs and two interceptions.

Johnson will replace Heisman Trophy finalist Alex Smith, who was taken by the San Francisco 49ers as the top overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. Before becoming Utah's highest draft pick ever, Smith led the Utes to a 12-0 record and a victory over Pittsburgh in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl last season.

The Utes have also won back-to-back Mountain West Conference championships.

"I feel I'm coming along fairly well, but I have some big shoes to fill," Johnson said. "We are not exactly were we want to be, but we have this summer to work on what we need too. Alex (Smith) had a great season and I'm happy to see him going in the first round."

Where is the love for Drew Tate? He was first team all Big Ten as a Sophomore and led the Hawks to a Big Ten Championship and a victory against LSU in the Capital One Bowl. I know for sure that LSU hasn't forgotten about Mr. Tate

Texasfrog
05-02-2005, 07:16 PM
The QBs are coming out because of the spread offense that EVERYONE must run now.

Ya, with the spread offense and the summer 7 on 7 games and summer camps. There is alot of Texas "GUNS" coming out now. We would of never seen this back in the 70's and 80's when it was 3 yards and a cloud of dust Texas offense. Those big (6-2/200lbs) kids were playing LB and SS. Now alot of them are playing QB.

Texas has always had alot of "big kids with powerful arms." All you have to do is look at the Texas baseball pitchers of the last 20 years and see that.

We are not only seeing more Texas kids starting in the college ranks as QB's. There is more of them playing in the PRO ranks ( NFL, CFL and Arena).

QB- Drew Brees - San Diego Chargers - Pro Bowler.
QB- Josh McCown- Arizona Cardinals
QB- Luke McCown- Tampa Bay
"Manning brothers not only brother pair QB in the NFL."
QB-Tommy Maddox - Pittsburg

CFL:

Casey Printers - CFL MVP-- took team to Gray Cup.
Eli Roberson - future star.

Arena:

Michael Bishop
Clint Stoerner

There is more that I havent mentioned and more to come. Some of the real QB studs from Texas are coming.

Favpack
05-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Great thread here -- don't forget:
Graham Harrell (sp) - possible starter at TTech
Bobby Reid - coming on strong at OSU

And, i still think you may see Young and McNeal at Heisman night in NYC.

dragonsdaddy
05-03-2005, 05:01 PM
and bomar may be running the sooner o for the next few years.