PDA

View Full Version : Surprises on the Top 25 List Only

Favpack
06-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Hey - not trying to detract from KT's sticky thread - let's limit this to your surprises only here.

It goes without saying the KT's have out-done themselves this year. As Texas 5A gets deeper and deeper in talent, their job gets tougher every year.

My random surprise thoughts are not meant to bash or prop up a program, just an opinion. And, let's also remember making the PO's and winning a PO game does not constitute a Top 25 teams.

1) Allen at 5. Clearly a team that has come along way, but they rode the shoulders of Nathan last year, and his loss in the semi-final shows me they have a ways to go as a program. Their D was suspect all year, and it appears that will continue to be the case. Yes, their O is loaded to the max - but you hate to have to out-score folks every game. Allen will sneak up on no one this year - they are a clear top program.

2) Cedar Hill at 4. Props to this program, but they lose a ton of guys - and their senior leadership last year was second to none. I don't think they duplicate that again this year, and they too sneak up on nobody in '07.

3) Tyler Lee off the list. It just looks odd with them not on there. Has the program fallen off? Yes - but I think this exclusion gives them motivation to get back to the beast they were for a 5 years - we'll see.

4) SA Reagan off the list. I think they pick up where they left off in the PO's - just a hunch. But, that district will be brutal.

5) Plano East excluded. This team had SW beat last year until Rico went down and was playing very well in the PO's. I think that trend continues.

Favpack
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Forget my No. 4 - Reagan is at 13 - a good pick.

twcpfan1
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Cy Fair, Tyler Lee and PESH excluded.

Lufkin at 8 (should be 4 or 5)

Cy Falls not in top 25. I knew they graduated a lot of kids but so did Lufkin. I would have thought the state final appearance would have warranted a top 25 ranking the year after. Guess we'll all hear it from CFMom if they make a deep playoff run.

SV at 14 is a little low.

KatyTigerDad0407
06-02-2007, 10:45 AM
I expected 175a to have at least 1 team.

I'm sure I will try to see Muguffie play a couple of times in the fall and or post season. I also plan on watching Luck a game or two as he ripps through 195a.

Favpack
06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Cy Fair, Tyler Lee and PESH excluded.

Lufkin at 8 (should be 4 or 5)

Cy Falls not in top 25. I knew they graduated a lot of kids but so did Lufkin. I would have thought the state final appearance would have warranted a top 25 ranking the year after. Guess we'll all hear it from CFMom if they make a deep playoff run.

SV at 14 is a little low.

Assuming good health, Lufkin could easily return to their deep PO form. My main concerns with Lufkin is losing so many on D, and a semi-question mark at qb. I'm not worried about the D with Coach Quick. He'll use the Round Rock defensive debacle all year long.

In all honesty though, Lufkin has historically been an inconsistent offense - even the McNeal led team. A few huge plays sandwiched between some ugly plays. That trend will continue.

toonman
06-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Obviously no surprise at 1, 2 & 3 - I think just about everyone had these 3 teams as a lock.

The surprise is probably De Soto being ranked to the exclusion of, but not limited to : Tyler Lee, Plano East, Cy Falls, Cy Fair, etc

Favpack
06-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Obviously no surprise at 1, 2 & 3 - I think just about everyone had these 3 teams as a lock.

The surprise is probably De Soto being ranked to the exclusion of, but limited to : Tyler Lee, Plano East, Cy Falls, Cy Fair, etc

Cy Fair due to one hurdling rb who could gain 3,000 yards. Not sure about Cy Falls - I know they lost alot of seniors, but so did Cedar Hill.

twcpfan1
06-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Cy Fair due to one hurdling rb who could gain 3,000 yards. Not sure about Cy Falls - I know they lost alot of seniors, but so did Cedar Hill.

I think it would be an understatement to say that the Cypress Fairbanks schools are a little miffed about the list.

SLC93
06-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Allen - at 5 bit of an eyebrow raise but if Payne comes into his own, they've got talent at the skill positions.

Desoto - I just don't trust the Eagles to deliver. As good as Gray is I'm not sure the Cole formula is as simple as adding ingredients & stirring.

Lufkin & SV are where they should porbably start but both have the potential to catch fire.

Pesh & Tyler Lee on the outside looking in was interesting. I'm eager to see Rapp's impact on the PESH defense.

svfootball45
06-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Even though we did bad in the playoffs i think we should at least be at 10 or 11

Favpack
06-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Even though we did bad in the playoffs i think we should at least be at 10 or 11

There's not a lot of separation from 8 to 14 - most are good teams with something to prove. I think there could be some real movement in the top 7 when considering Allen, Ced. Hill and DeSoto - they could all lose 2 games prior to the PO's.

Favpack
06-02-2007, 11:27 AM
A little surprising to not see A&M Consol listed anywhere. But, they have a tough schedule and lost a lot of seniors. Not sure who is coming back.

DragonBand06
06-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Cedar Hill at 4 surprised me a bit as well. I'm not hatin', just saying it'll be interesting to see what they do this season. I'll definitely have an eye on them.

PaulinPlano
06-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Hey - not trying to detract from KT's sticky thread - let's limit this to your surprises only here.

It goes without saying the KT's have out-done themselves this year. As Texas 5A gets deeper and deeper in talent, their job gets tougher every year.

My random surprise thoughts are not meant to bash or prop up a program, just an opinion. And, let's also remember making the PO's and winning a PO game does not constitute a Top 25 teams.

1) Allen at 5. Clearly a team that has come along way, but they rode the shoulders of Nathan last year, and his loss in the semi-final shows me they have a ways to go as a program. Their D was suspect all year, and it appears that will continue to be the case. Yes, their O is loaded to the max - but you hate to have to out-score folks every game. Allen will sneak up on no one this year - they are a clear top program.

2) Cedar Hill at 4. Props to this program, but they lose a ton of guys - and their senior leadership last year was second to none. I don't think they duplicate that again this year, and they too sneak up on nobody in '07.

3) Tyler Lee off the list. It just looks odd with them not on there. Has the program fallen off? Yes - but I think this exclusion gives them motivation to get back to the beast they were for a 5 years - we'll see.

4) SA Reagan off the list. I think they pick up where they left off in the PO's - just a hunch. But, that district will be brutal.

5) Plano East excluded. This team had SW beat last year until Rico went down and was playing very well in the PO's. I think that trend continues.

We drop players on both side of the ball like everyone else including our stud LB Keenan Robinson who will play for the Longhorns. But East always reloads . There are teams on the top 25 that East could handle and have handled, no disrespect intended. Our head coaching issues may have affected the judgement. But there is NO WAY you rank ALLEN number 5 and leave Plano East out of the top 25. They either forgot us or just blew it. Yes this is a homer talking... but I just don't see East dropping off with Rico Smalls at QB. East also played Allen toe to toe last year in the district finale and barely lost. And that was without Rico!

KT2000
06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
The Cypress schools are almost a victim of their own competition when it comes to the rankings this year. That district is so balanced that almost any team can beat anyone in the district on a given night, or lose to them. It's one of the tougher districts to get a read on because of the jekyll-hyde personality of the teams in the district.

Cy Fair starts outside of the top 25 because of the senior leadership they lost on defense. That's what we are looking for from the Bobcats. We know the offense will be there, but how good will the D be? I'm confident they will play there way into the rankings.

After all, the top 25 is just a starting point. We obviously expect it to change quite a bit and take form over the course of the season when we start playing games.

Tyler Lee still has to prove they are back in our eyes. They haven't done anything in the post-season since winning it in 2004. The truly elite programs are in contention every season regardless of graduation hits. Lee isn't there yet in my opinion.

Favpack
06-02-2007, 11:48 AM
The Cypress schools are almost a victim of their own competition when it comes to the rankings this year. That district is so balanced that almost any team can beat anyone in the district on a given night, or lose to them. It's one of the tougher districts to get a read on because of the jekyll-hyde personality of the teams in the district.

Cy Fair starts outside of the top 25 because of the senior leadership they lost on defense. That's what we are looking for from the Bobcats. We know the offense will be there, but how good will the D be? I'm confident they will play there way into the rankings.

After all, the top 25 is just a starting point. We obviously expect it to change quite a bit and take form over the course of the season when we start playing games.

Tyler Lee still has to prove they are back in our eyes. They haven't done anything in the post-season since winning it in 2004. The truly elite programs are in contention every season regardless of graduation hits. Lee isn't there yet in my opinion.

I think Lee was there and then slipped - and, ain't it funny we still point back to traveling to Ohio as the beginning of slippage.

I'd be interested in Smoak's take here. Clearly Tyler is losing good kids daily to Whitehouse, Bullard and points beyond - that makes it tougher for both Lee and JT to be up yearly. I'm afraid an ugly, protracted re-alignment of school district boundaries may be required to get Lee all the way back. Lots of good growth within the city limits of Tyler is in the Whitehouse or other ISD's.

Lee has a lot to prove this coming year - getting beat multiple times and barely making the PO's is not Owens style. We'll see.

Crank_It
06-02-2007, 12:15 PM

SV's got alot to prove brosef, espescially after what happened last year. but the predicted playoff first round on the gridiron guide have us going against SM again with a chance for redemption:cool:

Matthew 2000 Eagle
06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
I guess I'm different, but, I'm not really surprised about DeSoto being ranked. DeSoto is actually a mirror image of Cedar Hill player for player, and speed for speed, but, Cedar Hill just has better coaching.

Where is Cy-Fair and Cy-Falls?

big red & cujo
06-02-2007, 01:04 PM
I think Lee was there and then slipped - and, ain't it funny we still point back to traveling to Ohio as the beginning of slippage.

I'd be interested in Smoak's take here. Clearly Tyler is losing good kids daily to Whitehouse, Bullard and points beyond - that makes it tougher for both Lee and JT to be up yearly. I'm afraid an ugly, protracted re-alignment of school district boundaries may be required to get Lee all the way back. Lots of good growth within the city limits of Tyler is in the Whitehouse or other ISD's.

Lee has a lot to prove this coming year - [getting beat multiple times and barely making the PO's is not Owens style]. We'll see.
i just have to cut in a say something to you now. from reading a few of your post. it sounds like you belive tyler lee had a 4,5,or 6 loss season in 06. they only lost 2 in the regular season. one to trinity and longview before losing 21-18 to plano east in the second round.all 3 games decided late in the fourth qtr. they were second in district, loosing only one game. so owens never has barely made the playoffs. 9-3 in 06 unless you want to go all the way back to 1997 ;)

TexasRed6x
06-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Judson did not make it. They are a favorite to take the 4th place spot in 26-5A.

Redhoss
06-02-2007, 01:18 PM

The surprise is probably De Soto being ranked to the exclusion of, but limited to : Tyler Lee, Plano East, Cy Falls, Cy Fair, etc

I'll admit it's strange to see them ranked that high.

What's equally strange when picking up on your comments is that the others are not in the top 25 at all, not one of them. :eek:

Redhoss
06-02-2007, 01:20 PM

In my mind, that would have been about where I would have expected you to be but I don't have all the info. the KT boys do.
Wouldn't it be interesting to have all that info? Maybe we should talk them into having a pre-season rating contest :D

PlanoTexan
06-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Being a East fan (PESH is no longer Hip) and watching our spring game I can understand why we are not in the top 25. With that being I will take our offense with Rico and our WRs and play with anybody in state. I like our RBs but they are all unproven. All HS fans will have a true gauge after our first two games against Mesquite and Garland, with both games being on the road.

As for our defense we are fast but we lack size. I hear good thing about Coach Rapp but came away from the spring game very dissatisfied. But to Coach Rapp's defense he just arrived on campus a day before spring drills began. He has some work to do but he has several returning players with significant playing time last year. Travis Malone (NG/DE) could be a sleeper for District Defense player of the year.

This is going to be a different type of East team this year, we are going to score alot of points and hope to hang on for the win. I guess I'm saying we are going to play "Allen Ball" this year.

I like our schedule with 7 games in Plano, we only leave Plano once during district race, and we get Allen in our house.

Go East!!!!!

CyFallsMom
06-02-2007, 03:04 PM

I figured we wouldn't be but, yes, I really do believe you all will be hearing about it from me around October...I think we are going to surprise some people. I was more surprised that Cy Fair was left off...I know that there are few outside of Falls who think we can do anything this year due to the losses - but to me it's only the Falls players and fans that count:). And those who are left were still on that team and the JV players were right there with them, watching and learning.

We have been joking today that it's because of Falls beating Katy that the whole district was left out in the rain:D. That's okay - I'll take that win over any top 25 list!!

Favpack
06-02-2007, 04:35 PM
i just have to cut in a say something to you now. from reading a few of your post. it sounds like you belive tyler lee had a 4,5,or 6 loss season in 06. they only lost 2 in the regular season. one to trinity and longview before losing 21-18 to plano east in the second round.all 3 games decided late in the fourth qtr. they were second in district, loosing only one game. so owens never has barely made the playoffs. 9-3 in 06 unless you want to go all the way back to 1997 ;)

Points well made. I've stated early and often I expect Lee to come back strong.

AE 8008
06-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Cy Falls not even projected to make the playoffs-that surprised me!

Bobcat81
06-02-2007, 06:35 PM

I would have to agree. The offense isn't the big question. The Cats are going to have an offense that will hold their own as one of the best in 17-5A. Some pretty heafty talent moved up from JV to take care of the O-line. As you suspect, and likewise for me, the BIG question will be the defense. Although i hear they have quite a bit of "head banging" talent moving up (LB positions especially), they will still have a lot to prove. They will get a really good test Aug. 31st with Luck & Co. Beyond that, i'm looking forward to the Friday Night Lights & a host of excitement from high school football!

Redhoss
06-02-2007, 07:20 PM
I figured we wouldn't be but, yes, I really do believe you all will be hearing about it from me around October...I think we are going to surprise some people. I was more surprised that Cy Fair was left off...I know that there are few outside of Falls who think we can do anything this year due to the losses - but to me it's only the Falls players and fans that count:). And those who are left were still on that team and the JV players were right there with them, watching and learning.

We have been joking today that it's because of Falls beating Katy that the whole district was left out in the rain:D. That's okay - I'll take that win over any top 25 list!!

Hahaha, I can see why someone might think so but we all know it's not true. I know if the teams in 17-5A show their stuff, they'll move up and rightly so.

ACM Dad
06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
A little surprising to not see A&M Consol listed anywhere. But, they have a tough schedule and lost a lot of seniors. Not sure who is coming back.

Enough coming back and enough reloading to cause some heartburn around the state. One thing last year taught the local boys, being in the preseason top 25 doesn't mean much when the games actually begin.

We should be dangerous enough this year.

CyFallsMom
06-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Hahaha, I can see why someone might think so but we all know it's not true. I know if the teams in 17-5A show their stuff, they'll move up and rightly so.

I know these guys - and I know it's absolutely not true but we just had to joke about it. I know how they feel - a lot of unknowns in 17-5a this year and it is a very competitive district. You never know if the favorites will come out on top or one of the two or three yearly dark horses will take over. I understand Cy Fair, LC and Ridge were picked above us but not sure why JV was picked ahead of us though - I feel very confident that we will be at least the #4 team going into the playoffs - if not higher.

PaulinPlano
06-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Being a East fan (PESH is no longer Hip) and watching our spring game I can understand why we are not in the top 25. With that being I will take our offense with Rico and our WRs and play with anybody in state. I like our RBs but they are all unproven. All HS fans will have a true gauge after our first two games against Mesquite and Garland, with both games being on the road.

As for our defense we are fast but we lack size. I hear good thing about Coach Rapp but came away from the spring game very dissatisfied. But to Coach Rapp's defense he just arrived on campus a day before spring drills began. He has some work to do but he has several returning players with significant playing time last year. Travis Malone (NG/DE) could be a sleeper for District Defense player of the year.

This is going to be a different type of East team this year, we are going to score alot of points and hope to hang on for the win. I guess I'm saying we are going to play "Allen Ball" this year.

I like our schedule with 7 games in Plano, we only leave Plano once during district race, and we get Allen in our house.

Go East!!!!!

Our defense does not have the big name this year. Our defense and team is being underestimated. No problem. We will show them on the field. I am not saying East will dominate in pre-district... but we will make the playoff run again.

bigdaddydog
06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
We drop players on both side of the ball like everyone else including our stud LB Keenan Robinson who will play for the Longhorns. But East always reloads . There are teams on the top 25 that East could handle and have handled, no disrespect intended. Our head coaching issues may have affected the judgement. But there is NO WAY you rank ALLEN number 5 and leave Plano East out of the top 25. They either forgot us or just blew it. Yes this is a homer talking... but I just don't see East dropping off with Rico Smalls at QB. East also played Allen toe to toe last year in the district finale and barely lost. And that was without Rico!

Plano East not being in the top 25 or top 10 is my biggest surprise. They deserve to be at least in the top 25. This is a bad omen for all the folks that have to play PESH this year. look out Garland!!

I just can't wait till Allen plays PESH this year because no matter who wins, at least then we can stop hearing about how PESH almost won in the District championship game last year, without Rico! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

~

PlanoTexan
06-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Dawg..Can I get you to say "East" and drop the PESH. Pesh died when John Crawford left, we are on a new page. Call us EAST and we will welcome you into our house with open arms.

My only bone with you fellas is that dog pit of a stadium Invest some money into a real field like you do for your baseball team. Just wanted to get a little Baseball talk in there since we did win District.:D

PaulinPlano
06-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Plano East not being in the top 25 or top 10 is my biggest surprise. They deserve to be at least in the top 25. This is a bad omen for all the folks that have to play PESH this year. look out Garland!!

I just can't wait till Allen plays PESH this year because no matter who wins, at least then we can stop hearing about how PESH almost won in the District championship game last year, without Rico! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

~

We were also missing our shutdown corner. Allen has a streak on us, so we have to step up and take one. You have the bragging rights right now big daddy deputy dog.:p

bigdaddydog
06-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Dawg..Can I get you to say "East" and drop the PESH. Pesh died when John Crawford left, we are on a new page. Call us EAST and we will welcome you into our house with open arms.

My only bone with you fellas is that dog pit of a stadium Invest some money into a real field like you do for your baseball team. Just wanted to get a little Baseball talk in there since we did win District.:D

Dude, all you gotta do is ask. See it's really tough because I grew up with PESH and that is how I know them. In honor of you guys being on a new page, Congrats on EAST winning district in Baseball. That is no small matter with 4 teams from 9-5A ranked in the area top ten.

Now, you folks need to recognize that "dog pit" of a stadium is properly referred to as a Double Wide with Character! Get it straight! :D

As a school district, I'll take putting money for education as a higher priority over a new stadium every time.

I am still surprised that Plano East is not ranked. I attribute part of it to the rankers (KT's) being from Houston. It just doesn't seem like they have as good a feel for this area and EAST specifically compared to the rest of the state. Time will tell. My bet is that you will see EAST ranked by the DMN and in the state rankings.

That's the dealio!

Cheers,

~

bigdaddydog
06-02-2007, 11:43 PM
We were also missing our shutdown corner. Allen has a streak on us, so we have to step up and take one. You have the bragging rights right now big daddy deputy dog.:p

That's Mr. big daddy deputy dog to you! :D

I get the feeling the entire district is going to be much more balanced this year. I just don't see any standout teams.

Take one, I double big daddy dog dare ya! :p

Cheers

~

AE 8008
06-03-2007, 01:20 AM

I get the feeling the entire district is going to be much more balanced this year. I just don't see any standout teams.

Cheers

~

whos the girl in your avatar?:p

PaulinPlano
06-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Dude, all you gotta do is ask. See it's really tough because I grew up with PESH and that is how I know them. In honor of you guys being on a new page, Congrats on EAST winning district in Baseball. That is no small matter with 4 teams from 9-5A ranked in the area top ten.

Now, you folks need to recognize that "dog pit" of a stadium is properly referred to as a Double Wide with Character! Get it straight! :D

As a school district, I'll take putting money for education as a higher priority over a new stadium every time.

I am still surprised that Plano East is not ranked. I attribute part of it to the rankers (KT's) being from Houston. It just doesn't seem like they have as good a feel for this area and EAST specifically compared to the rest of the state. Time will tell. My bet is that you will see EAST ranked by the DMN and in the state rankings.

That's the dealio!

Cheers,

~

I get to the stadium 1 1/2 hours early and I have no problem. Eat in the parking lot. Yea you need a new stadium... but I will refrain...:)

PaulinPlano
06-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Cheers

~

9-5A will be tough again. Allen, Berkner, East and West. Not sure about the storied Plano and the other Wildcats in LH.

PlanoTexan
06-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks Dawg for the East request. You and your eagle fans might want to bring one of double wides as the seating at Kimbrough on the visitors side might seat your band. I'll be at your first game watching you tangle with Garland. I'm really interersted in seeing the QB (Payne) develop, I don't want any excuses on either side when we meet. Have a good summer and will catch you at the game.

KT1ss24
06-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Anybody want to explain the PESH thing any way. I say east but I've heard of PESH but dont know what it means. I'm guessing Plano East S??? H???

grayowl60
06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
Anybody want to explain the PESH thing any way. I say east but I've heard of PESH but dont know what it means. I'm guessing Plano East S??? H???
Its a Plano thing:cool: Senior High;)

KT2000
06-03-2007, 02:24 PM

East is a team we considered pretty heavily for the rankings. If we went up to 30, they would be in there.

The truth of the matter is that there isn't a whole lot separating teams in the 11 to 30 or 35 range really. The top 25 is representing the top 10% of class 5A. So, we are saying we believe anyone in our top 25 (or 40 if you want to go that high) is better than at least 85% of the state so that's hardly dismissing them as a "bad" team.

What we'd like to see from East is that they reload on defense. We felt like you had one of the best defenses in the state last year that played a big role in helping you win five games decided by 7 points or less. If the defense emerges along with the offense, we expect East will play their way up the rankings.

I think what some people forget about pre-season rankings is that they are starting points. We don't expect these to hold up. It is just for positioning before the games start being played, and we see how everything actually pans out. They are the representation of where we think teams stand going into the season. It certainly doesn't mean we don't think teams like Plano East or Cy Fair won't eventually play their way in. What we'd really like to get right is the top 10.

pack4life
06-03-2007, 02:37 PM
nvm

Gridiron Gopher
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
I still like SV as the top dog in 265a. I do get to watch all these teams a lot and have done so for the last 3-4. SV's offensive line is going to be dominating and this will allow them to control the clock and keep their defense off the field.
Reagan will be good and I like their offense but I don't see anyone talking about the defensive issues they had last year. Every blows up Madison about their defense but nothing is said about Reagan's D. It has to get better if it wants to win 265a.

Gridiron Gopher
06-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Judson did not make it. They are a favorite to take the 4th place spot in 26-5A.

Judson shouldn't have made it. They might be a top 35-40 but that's it. They get the nod for the 4th spot in 265a on past rep.

ktCarl
06-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I figured we wouldn't be but, yes, I really do believe you all will be hearing about it from me around October...

We don't have to wait until October....we're hearing from you now!!! :D

KT1ss24
06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Its a Plano thing:cool: Senior High;)

Yea that would make sense. Thanks.

Gridiron Gopher
06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I still like SV as the top dog in 265a. I do get to watch all these teams a lot and have done so for the last 3-4. SV's offensive line is going to be dominating and this will allow them to control the clock and keep their defense off the field.
Reagan will be good and I like their offense but I don't see anyone talking about the defensive issues they had last year. Every blows up Madison about their defense but nothing is said about Reagan's D. It has to get better if it wants to win 265a.

Should have followed this up with.......Reagan at 13th and SV at 14th is as close as you can get to being dead even.

Redhoss
06-03-2007, 08:36 PM
We don't have to wait until October....we're hearing from you now!!! :D

LOL, good one Carl.

CyFallsMom
06-03-2007, 10:50 PM
We don't have to wait until October....we're hearing from you now!!!

Good thing I like you cowbell boy:D .

bigdaddydog
06-04-2007, 12:27 AM
whos the girl in your avatar?:p

She is a friend of the guy she is painting :D you gotta love body paint.

Check out the DFW game of the week for week 10 intro and you can see the finished product.

Oh yeah you can also see the highlights of Allen's win over EAST, without Rico. :D

It was a GREAT game!

Cheers,

~

CFlb38 08
06-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I guess I'm different, but, I'm not really surprised about DeSoto being ranked. DeSoto is actually a mirror image of Cedar Hill player for player, and speed for speed, but, Cedar Hill just has better coaching.

Where is Cy-Fair and Cy-Falls?

ehhhh.....good question!! but..."they lost alot of seniors..." lol

rebel27
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Judson shouldn't have made it. They might be a top 35-40 but that's it. They get the nod for the 4th spot in 265a on past rep.

and i guess you base this on how much you have actually seen them practice or is it just HATORADE you drinking?

CyFallsMom
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
ehhhh.....good question!! but..."they lost alot of seniors..." lol

The Eagles will show them the error of their ways!! Never Give Up, Never Surrender!!

This actually should give the team motivation to prove the naysayers wrong...they forget that the same coaching staff is in place and there are some returning players who had playing time last year AND those who didn't, were very close by - listening and learning:).

Drake
06-04-2007, 10:15 AM
The Eagles will show them the error of their ways!! Never Give Up, Never Surrender!!

This actually should give the team motivation to prove the naysayers wrong...they forget that the same coaching staff is in place and there are some returning players who had playing time last year AND those who didn't, were very close by - listening and learning:).You have to realize that there are almost 250 5A programs in Texas and the player personnel for each one changes each year. Returning talent and experience has to major factor in pre-season predictions. CyFalls has had a good run primarily because last year's graduating class were a special gathering of talent. That class is gone. Perhaps the program is to the point that it can churn out Region III contenders every year now, but you can't say that they have proven they're at that point yet. By the end of the year they may be right back where they were last year, but I see no justification for expecting them to be considered a top 25 team in the state at this point. Good luck though! :)

KT2000
06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
I didn't think that Falls' position would be a big surprise really. In a district as balanced as 17-5A is, I didn't think it would be a big shock to those who follow the district.

The teams ahead of Falls all played the Golden Eagles well last year, and they return more key contributors than Falls does so it made sense to me to put them in front. However, the 2 or 3-5 spots will likely be decided by one game.

I don't think Falls will be flying under the radar this year even if others start them out ranked lower like we have. You played on TV in front of the state last year, and now programs will be gunning for Falls. Despite the inexperience, teams will not be treating Falls like it's "any other game" any more. It's tough to explain what the targets truly means, but something you have to see and experience yourself to understand. It is different.

It's tough for any program to lose the amount of starters Falls did and not lose a beat. And the majority of the players Falls has to replace were at least two year starters, a handful of which were three year starters. That's significant no matter how you spin it. If Falls finishes in the district top two and advances to the Regional Semis or better again this year then it will have to be considered an enormous accomplishment for Coach Raffield and the program in general.

CyFallsMom
06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
I don't think Falls will be flying under the radar this year even if others start them out ranked lower like we have. You played on TV in front of the state last year, and now programs will be gunning for Falls. Despite the inexperience, teams will not be treating Falls like it's "any other game" any more. It's tough to explain what the targets truly means, but something you have to see and experience yourself to understand. It is different.

It's tough for any program to lose the amount of starters Falls did and not lose a beat. And the majority of the players Falls has to replace were at least two year starters, a handful of which were three year starters. That's significant no matter how you spin it. If Falls finishes in the district top two and advances to the Regional Semis or better again this year then it will have to be considered an enormous accomplishment for Coach Raffield and the program in general.

You know I just have to add a couple of comments here:)

First of all, I've been watching Falls for 7 years now and they have never had it easy against their fellow 17-5a teams - who have ALWAYS gunned for them no matter the situation. That sort of mirrors what you said about the competitiveness of the district. It almost always comes down to that last weekend of regular play before the playoff order is set. It has even come down to who scored more against whom during the season. It takes a mathemetician to figure 17-5a out!!

As for losing players, three years ago, that was a VERY young team full of Sophomores and Juniors and they went to the Region finals against Westfield - a task many thought was impossible. In fact, the feeling among many was that they wouldn't get past Aldine Eisenhower!! They did. The next year, still fairly young, they were going to be annihalated by Memorial in the first round and stricken down by Strake in the second...they weren't. Last year was a result of those two teams together and they finally got past that Regional Final plateau - so do I think they will go to state again? Probably not due to the youth and inexperience of the team as a whole. Do I think they will get into the playoffs - absolutely I do...and possibly higher than 4th place too.

CyFallsMom
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
CyFalls has had a good run primarily because last year's graduating class were a special gathering of talent. That class is gone. Perhaps the program is to the point that it can churn out Region III contenders every year now, but you can't say that they have proven they're at that point yet. By the end of the year they may be right back where they were last year, but I see no justification for expecting them to be considered a top 25 team in the state at this point. Good luck though!

See my previous post about the youthful team of 2004 and yes that group that grew into last years team was quite special and only comes along every now and then for some schools. I know they probably don't belong in the top 25 due to the sheer volume of losses they incurred but I guess my point is, this should give them major motivation to prove otherwise.

KT2000
06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree with you about the motivation angle CFM.

Cy Falls is now in a PROVE IT stage as a program.

This is when we find out whether or not Falls has become one of the elite area programs. If they put together another team this year that contends for Region 3, then they will have that respect and deservedly so.

The elite programs will be knocking on the door in the end regardless of experience or lack thereof. It's time to find out whether or not Cy Falls has joined that select company.

Favpack
06-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with you about the motivation angle CFM.

Cy Falls is now in a PROVE IT stage as a program.

This is when we find out whether or not Falls has become one of the elite area programs. If they put together another team this year that contends for Region 3, then they will have that respect and deservedly so.

The elite programs will be knocking on the door in the end regardless of experience or lack thereof. It's time to find out whether or not Cy Falls has joined that select company.

Excellent points - 3 or 4 deep runs (semi's or finals) is 400% more than one deep run, and is usually shown in the polls.

PaulinPlano
06-04-2007, 11:20 AM
East is a team we considered pretty heavily for the rankings. If we went up to 30, they would be in there.

The truth of the matter is that there isn't a whole lot separating teams in the 11 to 30 or 35 range really. The top 25 is representing the top 10% of class 5A. So, we are saying we believe anyone in our top 25 (or 40 if you want to go that high) is better than at least 85% of the state so that's hardly dismissing them as a "bad" team.

What we'd like to see from East is that they reload on defense. We felt like you had one of the best defenses in the state last year that played a big role in helping you win five games decided by 7 points or less. If the defense emerges along with the offense, we expect East will play their way up the rankings.

I think what some people forget about pre-season rankings is that they are starting points. We don't expect these to hold up. It is just for positioning before the games start being played, and we see how everything actually pans out. They are the representation of where we think teams stand going into the season. It certainly doesn't mean we don't think teams like Plano East or Cy Fair won't eventually play their way in. What we'd really like to get right is the top 10.

Then put East in the Top 10!:p

You are right about the defense. But I think we will reload well.

bigdaddydog
06-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Then put East in the Top 10!:p

You are right about the defense. But I think we will reload well.

You guys just need to make sure they eventually have no choice. :cool:

9-5A RULES!!

~

PaulinPlano
06-04-2007, 11:23 AM

PESH stands for Plano East Senior High. The Plano East faithful prefer to be called "East" or "Plano East".

KT2000
06-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I thought it was "East Plano" just so no one is grossly misled if you were to lead off with "Plano" instead. :)

PaulinPlano
06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I thought it was "East Plano" just so no one is grossly misled if you were to lead off with "Plano" instead. :)

Nope... "Plano East".

East Plano is just the side of town East of US 75.;)

You have Plano (PSHS), Plano East (PESH), and Plano West (PWSH).

PaulinPlano
06-04-2007, 12:01 PM

One more thing... Year in and year out East has always reloads well because of the sheer number of athletes on a big squad. East has a lot of depth and we donít drop off much with a backup. Over the season, this gives East an advantage. OK... I',m done... NOT!:D

cyfallsbooster2
06-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Excellent points - 3 or 4 deep runs (semi's or finals) is 400% more than one deep run, and is usually shown in the polls.

For clarity, Fav, it was 3 consecutive regional finals with the last one going on to state. But I understand your point.

cyfallsbooster2
06-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I know these guys - and I know it's absolutely not true but we just had to joke about it. I know how they feel - a lot of unknowns in 17-5a this year and it is a very competitive district. You never know if the favorites will come out on top or one of the two or three yearly dark horses will take over. I understand Cy Fair, LC and Ridge were picked above us but not sure why JV was picked ahead of us though - I feel very confident that we will be at least the #4 team going into the playoffs - if not higher.

Now THAT would be interesting!:rolleyes:

CyFallsMom
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Now THAT would be interesting!

Yep - Cy Falls vs Katy Part III - would be intriguing especially THAT early in the playoffs!! I've got about 25 Stand Up For The Eagles towels just lying in wait to wave like a madwoman:). Not sure how I ended up with so many except they handed them to me at every game and even at softball games!

CFeagleman
06-04-2007, 10:34 PM
CFM

i know EXACTLY what you mean

i have a two siblings and my mom and dad who attended almost every game last year.

i can honestly say we have more than 30 - 40 towels laying around the house

its ridiculous really