PDA

View Full Version : I am considering moving down to Texas...

OhioCoach
05-01-2005, 09:27 PM
First off I would like to say that as a new member of this site I am very excited about the many discussions that are to come. Anyway on to the point of this topic. I am seriously considering moving down to Texas from Ohio. I am going to list what I would look for in a place to live and then if you guys dont mind I would like you to recomend to me places to look into.

-Great high school football!! This is a must for an area that I will move to. I am a coach so I will be looking for a job in the district in which I will live.

-Type of area I would like to live in. I would prefer a rural area but I would like it to be within short driving distance of a city where I could get what ever I need. I am a country boy at heart but I still like to be close enough to a place that has nice attractions...such as resturants, stores etc...

-A district that pays their teachers/football coaches well. I am definetly not in coaching for the money but I would like to make a decent living.

I would like to thank you all in advance for any advice you can offer.

Shoot2thrill
05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Welcome to Abilene then coach. Drive safe. :cool:

OhioCoach
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM
shoot2thrill,

If you dont mind could you tell me a little bit about the area of Abilene??

supercentex
05-01-2005, 09:42 PM
No offense but I wouldn't move to Abilene.

Best thing to do is find a rural place around a city like Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, or Houston. That way you are close to the city.....but still live in the country.

Abilene is out in the middle of no where in West Texas. Kinda desert looking......if you were to drive to West Texas out towards El Paso....Abilene is the place that the grass starts to get scarce. :D

MHS_Ram
05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Lucky Abilene people, at least they got grass. :mad:

Just kidding, its the El Pasoan in me. If you really want to be around a big city area (but still in a rural area) those other towns wouldnt be that bad. West Texas aint all that bad though, good people, good football, and the pay is not that bad (well it is if the school you coach for is in district 3-5A).

RedRage00
05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Spring Branch

Smithson Valley......

RR

RedRage00
05-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Victoria is a nice area and it's close to Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Corpus....all within 2 hours.

And the coast.....

RR

OhioCoach
05-01-2005, 09:56 PM
Thats interesting that you mention Victoria. I have met coach Jerry Campbell who is the head coach of the Victoria Vipers. I have learned a lot from coach Campbell.

stevefoxsc
05-01-2005, 10:04 PM
well if you really want a good place austin or any were on the out side the drive is short but like most city's it has traffic but austin is known to gross in the best entertainment around texas only thing it really lacks is a six flags or what not but with UT down town and all sorts of crazy places its no wounder the motto is Keep Austin weird guessing thats why it was the 3rd most place used for making movies / concerts / conventions and much much more id def give austin the ok

Xfballphenome05
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
u could try to apply at the new high school around canyon lake,it is a nice place to live

OhioCoach
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
steve,

Is there a nice little town close to Austin that you would recomend??

supercentex
05-01-2005, 10:10 PM
Georgetown, Round Rock, Buda, Bastrop, Liberty Hill, Burnet are some of the Austin area towns.

stevefoxsc
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
round rock is a nice suburb of austin and there is the outer most west lake area rich in tradition decent place to grow up and a nice nice area

lonny23
05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Spring Branch

Smithson Valley......

RR
If you hadn't said it, I was going to say SV. You're in the country, but 20 miles from downtown San Antonio. 26-5A is the best football district in 5A and SV has one of the best programs in the state. When you add in the Judson schools and the Northeast ISD schools, you have great programs in every sport.

Houston and Dallas have their areas in the country, but they are further away from the main city.

Bootsdaddy
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
round rock is a nice suburb of austin and there is the outer most west lake area rich in tradition decent place to grow up and a nice nice area

Round Rock may be "rural" compared to Austin but it has like 200,000 people. Not really rural but it doesnt take long to get to the "sticks"

Shoot2thrill
05-01-2005, 10:38 PM
shoot2thrill,

If you dont mind could you tell me a little bit about the area of Abilene??

Coach, the posters on this board will be a little biased (what a surprise!) when talking about the region of Texas to consider moving to. Just look at some of the other topics and everyone is passionate about their team and the season is months away!

Abilene is about 2 hours away from any city of size (Abilene's population is about 118,000). In Texas, a 2 hour drive is nothing. I have driven to Fort Worth for lunch! Abilene is not as green as East Texas or the Texas hill country and is located more in central West Texas. That means we are not as barren and dry as true West Texas (Permian Basin, El Paso, etc.). Our cost of living is substantially lower than some of the other suggestions made by forum posters. I think our coaches pay would be competitive with other areas.

The quality of football in our area cannot be denied. West Texas football is legendary and one of our district opponents was the subject of a pretty good football movie (Friday Night Lights). When playing district road games, you would have to travel 150 miles to Midland and Odessa as opposed to other areas where your trip may only be 30-45 minutes.

If you are serious about moving to Texas, you will never regret your decision IMHO. Its a great state with GREAT people. You really will experience some great Friday nights! Good luck with your decision. :)

lonny23
05-01-2005, 11:00 PM
District 3 and 26 are the 2 best districts in the state and each has their advantages.

There are big stadiums and good support in 3 (Abilene, Abilene Cooper, Odessa, Odessa Permian, Midland, and Midland Lee). The amenities are less and the travel is greater.

26 has just as good of football, but not as much support. All the schools are within 25 miles of each other. The SA cost of living is cheaper than Austin, Dallas, and Houston. SA houses cost less than Wichita Falls!

OhioCoach
05-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Would any of you guys mind giving me a brief breakdown of how the districts are split up?? How many teams get in the playoffs from each district and so on??

LoneStarProud
05-01-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't know if you can go wrong with any of these suggestions coach. Texas football has a stong following throghout the state. If it were me though, I think I would stick to the Hill Country. If your going to relocate and start
anew, might as well go where alot of folks would love to retire. Get a map
and draw a line from Georgetown down to San Antonio then out to Kerrville
to Llano to Burnett and back to Georgetown. Some great places to live
with abundant outdoor pleasures, good food, friendly folks and all the
other stuff you mentioned.

LoneStarProud
05-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Most districts are comprised of 8 or so teams usually within a very short
drive from one another (some aren't very short). In 5A ball there are 3 teams
that head to the play-offs. The team out of the 3 that makes the play-offs with the largest student enrollment goes to Div.I bracket. The other 2 teams
go to the Div II bracket. During the play-offs the Div I bracket plays one less
game than Div II does due to the amount of teams going into either brackets.
Not sure if that's what your looking for or not. Some of these other guys can
probably give you more with specifics.

Bootsdaddy
05-01-2005, 11:59 PM
I beleieve they will have 4 teams in playoffs from each district in 4A and 5A. May begin in '06.

NewSherriffInTown
05-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Coach...

like I said in the other forum...

I'm from New York. I'm moving to Leander which is right outside Austin. Austin's surrounding areas are really beautiful. lakes, hills, lots of green...It's nice, and Austin is a pretty cool city with the university right there obviously. Round Rock, Leander, Cedar Park is a pretty nice area. I'd highly recommend it.

jtk1519
05-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Starting next season, 4 teams from each district will make the playoffs. Two will go into the Div. I bracket and two into the Div. II bracket. The bracket you enter is determined by enrollment numbers. The two biggest schools to make the playoffs will go into the div. I bracket while the two smallest will go Div. II. Sadly, the winner of the two brackets dont meet to determine a true state champion. Instead, two state championships are awarded.

As for locations, I live in Abilene so I am a little biased. Abilene is far enough away from the Metroplex that the worst traffic you will see is a 5 minute wait at a busy intersection. That being said, the Metroplex isnt that far away. I can make it to Wetherford (a Western suburb of DFW) in about and hour an a half and the drive keeps getting shorter as the Metroplex keeps expanding. We are not in the desert like you see towards Midland and Odessa (though the Abilene schools are in the same district as the Midland and Odessa schools so you would have to get used to the terrain). Abilene probably has more in common with Central Texas than West Texas. We have hills, trees and water... things that are hard to find out west. There's also some pretty good fishing in this area.

Another thing appealing about Abilene is that the low cost of living (lower than anything you'll find around Austin or Dallas) combined with the fact that the Abilene head coaches are the highest paid 5A coaches in Texas, probably make Abilene the most financially desirable area in the state. If you dont work in Abilene, there are about a dozen quality smaller programs (3A or lower) either in Abilene or just outside the city. My favorite thing though (and maybe one of the drawbacks depending on how you look at it) is the passionate following football has out here. No other part of the state really comes close (though East Texas isnt really far behind). The smallest stadium you will find in district 3-5A is Midland's 15,000 seat stadium and as soon as it was built, people started complaining that it was too small. Playing games in front of 16,000-22,000 is not uncommon out here. There can sometimes be a LOT of pressure on coaches to win.

Abilene was recently named the best city in Texas for education...
http://reporter-news.com/abil/nw_local/article/0,1874,ABIL_7959_3414290,00.html

Abilene was also just part of a very nice segment on MSN.com...
http://travel.msn.com/firsts/texas/dispatch7.armx

I also have a few pics from around town...
http://photobucket.com/albums/y12/jtk1519/Around%20town/

For info on football in Abilene and the Big Country...
www.gofridaynight.com

If your interested in anything related to West Texas football, check here...
www.thelittleswc.com

Fell free to hop on the message boards and get some opinons there.

Dont get me wrong... Abilene isnt perfect. The head coaches are paid great, but teacher's pay isnt great. There isnt as much to do in Abilene as other bigger cities, but most out of towners are usually shocked by how much there is in Abilene. From universities, to museums and art galleries and the best damn BBQ in Texas. In you're into outdoors stuff like fishing, hunting, camping, etc... Abilene is great.

Anyway, I hope to get my check from the chamber of commerce very soon. Good luck with your move... wherever it's to.

Rerun
05-02-2005, 01:50 AM
How about Schertz Texas. Just NE of San Antonio and similar to Smithson Valley and Spring Branch, but minus the confederate flags and racism.

supercentex
05-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Austin area (nuff said)

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/photos/around_austin/images/courtyard_street_B_2002-08-23_lres.jpg

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/photos/around_austin/images/2222_from_360_C_2002-08-24_lres.jpg

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Austin/photos/around_austin/images/620_near_oasis_B_2002-08-23_lres.jpg

PackAttack2005
05-02-2005, 08:35 AM
I am going to throw my two cents in for Lufkin and the East Texas area in general. Good job market, lower cost of living and housing than most metro areas, great fishing and boating lakes. We are 1 1/2 hours north of Houston and 1 1/4 hours south of Tyler, Texas. We have great high school sports in East Texas from 5A down to 1A. We are worth a look.

http://www.visitlufkin.com/

http://www.lufkintexas.org/relo/index.htm

http://cityoflufkin.com/panthers.htm

LoneStarProud
05-02-2005, 08:46 AM
I am going to throw my two cents in for Lufkin and the East Texas area in general. Good job market, lower cost of living and housing than most metro areas, great fishing and boating lakes. We are 1 1/2 hours north of Houston and 1 1/4 hours south of Tyler, Texas. We have great high school sports in East Texas from 5A down to 1A. We are worth a look.

http://www.visitlufkin.com/

http://www.lufkintexas.org/relo/index.htm

http://cityoflufkin.com/panthers.htm

I would agree. East Texas area is a great place to live. Like I said earlier,
Coming from Ohio to Texas I don't think coach can go wrong anywhere.
However, I don't know if he would want to live in Muleshoe. No offense
to Muleshoeonians.

wide-e-wide
05-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Nice pictures of Austin. Is that bumper to bumper traffic I see in the distance? Left that part out huh?

And why would you lie to the guy and tell him the job market in Lufkin is good? Yeah, if you want to work for 5.15 an hour...that wasn't cool.

RedRage00
05-02-2005, 11:09 AM
How about Schertz Texas. Just NE of San Antonio and similar to Smithson Valley and Spring Branch, but minus the confederate flags and racism.

LOL ;)

too funny.....

RedRage00
05-02-2005, 11:10 AM
the traffic in austin s*cks!

RedRage00
05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
It's funny...everyone is trying to sell their area! :D

CCHS77
05-02-2005, 11:39 AM

What's funnier is that any one thinking of a move to a new state would use opinions from a site like this!

Bootsdaddy
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Nice pictures of Austin. Is that bumper to bumper traffic I see in the distance? Left that part out huh?

And why would you lie to the guy and tell him the job market in Lufkin is good? Yeah, if you want to work for 5.15 an hour...that wasn't cool.

A lot of times if you are related to the boss you can get $5.50 to $6 hr. Being a coach he wouldnt have to worry about that. Other than that Lufkin is OK. You dont have to worry about randomly getting shot like some places.

Austin is beautiful but...How can a city that big only have 3 freeways? Plus everyone will be more cool and hip than you-and wll let you know it.

OhioCoach
05-02-2005, 12:42 PM
I really do appreciate all the informative posts. By the way im not going to base my move soley on information I get from this site. But at the same time I see nothing wrong with going to you guys for info about the state of Texas seeing as that is where you all live.

CCHS77
05-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I really do appreciate all the informative posts. By the way im not going to base my move soley on information I get from this site. But at the same time I see nothing wrong with going to you guys for info about the state of Texas seeing as that is where you all live.

Texas High School football fans are passionately biased about towns/regions of this large state. (As I’m sure, are fans of other states.) I can’t fathom using “info” from this site as anything more than entertainment. That’s not a “knock” against any poster, just a byproduct of what brings everyone together on this type of site.

CoppellCowboy57
05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I say a move to Texas, is a move to Texas. We have the best football around, best fans around, and if you ask me, the biggest selection of food anywhere... :)

RGVBadBoy
05-02-2005, 01:46 PM
hey Coach, move to the Rio Grande Valley, we have pretty good football down here....we pay ALOT and the cost of living is really low, its a beautiful area....i know that most of the posters on this site will have nothign good to say about the RGV, but i can tell you, i have lived in several areas throughout the state and none have grown on me the way the RGV has....at least give the area some thought......its a great place to raise a family....we are not overrun by gangs, street violence and drugs.....take it from me....Mission is the best Area to live in.....the RGV ROCKS!!!! :D

htownfootball
05-02-2005, 08:09 PM
austin HS football isnt as competitive as it would be in metroplex up north in dallas or the greater houston area.
inner city in houston has some good football in galena park but its a rough area.
katy, texas has great football with great communities but the football is so competitive unless your coaching the tigers of katy HS or the cougars at cinco ranch it wont be fun on your part.
sugar land, texas has decent football.

just my input. good luck and welcome to texas, whataburger is on your left...and right.

stevefoxsc
05-02-2005, 11:34 PM
austin HS football isnt as competitive as it would be in metroplex up north in dallas or the greater houston area.
inner city in houston has some good football in galena park but its a rough area.
katy, texas has great football with great communities but the football is so competitive unless your coaching the tigers of katy HS or the cougars at cinco ranch it wont be fun on your part.
sugar land, texas has decent football.

just my input. good luck and welcome to texas, whataburger is on your left...and right.

oh yea houston is a great area, they have more floods than horrible dressing nerd.

As for living in texas in general you really can't go wrong every city has its up's and downs.

San antonio- rich in texas history and also has alot of great things for the family from the multiple theme parks to the river walk as for football in the area they have produced some of the finest teams in the state from judson to smithson valley ranger this place is a plus. as for negatives Its a very very hot area of texas all i can say for now

Dallas metroplex area- great place nice theme park in arlington good for shopping for the wife and a daughter and its one of the only metro city's that have snow. As for football or sports in general it has to be another of the best south lake carroll, denton ryan, dallas carter, and the garland area plus many others. Negatives there is alot recent construction on roads so expect traffic build up's.

Houston- Great place for sports and entertainment it has its theme parks and its school a plus about the area it's near the coast line and it beeing near the Louissana area there is some cajun mix in there. Negatives When it rain it poors and the floods yea weather is kinda BOO here

Austin- The Entertainment capitol of Texas sports are ok but just ok here, It has some of the best event's in texas such as The south by southwest which has some of the best bands around the world come here to play, home of 6th street an area known for its night life traffic is not as bad here as some places but when somthing happens the traffic does build. Austin also is known for beeing one of the most filmed in city's in the united states and last its one of the most rappid growing city's in the united states. Negatives are the sports are just ok here and with alot of construction here and there you may wana leave early.

Central Texas region

Temple- sports are all this town knows not so succesful in football recently but in all other sports they are amazing the town is very industrial and is home to 3rd largest medical exstension in the usa, its is growing more than what it has been, it is also home to one of the best martial art dojo's in the usa which took 2nd in a last tournment. negatives roads are horrid!!! Also there is a lack of entertainment here mall is not so great but gets the job done, for entertainment you may have to go to austin or waco
temple to waco on 85mph time of arival 30 mins
temple to austin 95-100 mph 30

Waco- purely a college town with Baylor mcc TsTc education for an person looking ahead is no problem, sports here are fair they have there ups and downs, has better entertainment than temple but is some what higher in crime and cops give out tickets just about for anything all in all its better than some places.

Copperas Cove- It is a decent town located near Fort Hood sports here are fine in some areas, no malls or much of anything but beeing near Killeen makes up for that cove is more so the type town you live there but go to killeen for your entertainment. downs people can be crabby nothing to really do there.

as for West texas and east texas i can't say much so i won't the places i have spoke of are just my personel knowledge and experince im sure there is more to these places then what i have said and hopefully the people here can fill in what i have left out hope it helps you more on what you are looking for

RGVBadBoy
05-03-2005, 12:00 AM
heres a little info on the RioGrandeValley

The Rio Grande Valley is a unique place to live and work – one of the fastest-growing areas in the nation but also one of the nation’s top tourist spots. The Rio Grande Valley is one of the few places in the country where you can enjoy a combination of beaches, Mexico, friendly people, a family-oriented environment, year-round sunshine, year-round sports, and year-round outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing, birding and nature walks.

In “the Valley” you will find opportunities where your talents and skills will be greatly needed and can be maximized to their fullest potential in the health care field, which is an important and growing industry centered in Harlingen around Valley Baptist Medical Center and the University of Texas – San Antonio’s medical school, the Regional Academic Health Center.

The Valley is your ticket to the tropics at an affordable price – but within America. The combination of a reasonable cost-of-living, excellent schools, excellent health care facilities and churches; and unique attractions draws thousands of people from across the Midwest and other areas of the United States. Many of these people find the Valley to be THE PLACE which they come to call home – with plenty of opportunities for growth but without the traffic and crime problems of big cities. Many retirees have made Harlingen and the Valley their year-round home, while others, the “Winter Texans,” spend six months or more per year in the Valley to escape the icy weather back north.

As a new resident of the Valley, you will always have something to do on the weekend …. Texas’ best beach, South Padre Island, is only a 40-minute drive from Harlingen. South Padre Island features outstanding swimming and sunbathing, fishing, sailing, water sports on the Gulf of Mexico or in the bay, hotels, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment ... not to mention some fantastic sunsets over the bay!

For a change of pace, visit the friendly towns of old Mexico … Harlingen is within a 15-minute drive from the Mexican border. Only 25 minutes away from Harlingen -- and just across the Rio Grande -- lies the welcoming Mexican tourist / border town of Nuevo Progresso, a favorite for shoppers. Also from Harlingen, you can head 25 minutes south and do some really serious shopping and dining in the large city of Matamoros, Mexico, which lies across the border from Brownsville, Texas. For even more adventures, Monterrey and the mountains of Mexico's interior are only three to four hours away by car or bus.

As far as HS football goes, we are decent, I won't lie to you and tell you we're the cream of the crop, because we're not, but we are competative, we have a great fan following of all of our teams and have atleast a couple of teams making late runs into the playoffs year in and year out. The RGV has not won a state title since 1961 when the Donna Redskins did it in class 1A, but this by no means makes us weak. In my opinion, the RGV is a GOOD head coach away from a playing for a state title and have had teams in the regional finals, semi finals several times in the last several years.

Notable 5A programs here in the Rio Grande Valley are: Donna, Harlingen HS, Mission Sharyland, San Benito and LaJoya

Notable 4A programs are: Mission HS, Mission Veterans, Edcouch Elsa HS, Mercedes and Pharr SanJuan Alamo Memorial (PSJA Memorial)

3A Port Isabel is a constant State regional finalist or semifinalist year after year.

Firebird
05-03-2005, 12:12 AM
No one here has given this advice yet, so I will go ahead and throw it out for you, Ohio coach...

There are many, many great places in Texas to live and work (San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and the RGV being a few of my favorites.) BUT-- you should know that GOOD football coaching positions are hard to come by. The competition is fierce, even for O/D coodinators, varsity position coaches, etc, etc.

Now, I am in no way saying that you, as an Ohio coach could not break into the coaching ranks here in Texas. Ohio absolutely has some of the best ball in the country, and with that comes some great coaches-- plus, I have no idea of your credentials. But, if I were looking to get into Texas HS coaching, I would find a selection of possible job openings first, apply, then start researching the towns that they are in. Hopefully you will have a choice of jobs.

If you simply pick a town down in Texas and move there, hoping to land work as a football coach with the district, then you should be prepared to at least start coaching at a level you might not like- middle school, freshman, jv. (Unless of course, you come armed with Ohio State championships, college coaching exp., etc) It will help if you are a math or science teacher-- we are desperate for them, and if you are certified bilingual/teacher of English as a second language.

I'm basing my advice on some of your criteria-- things like fan support, tradition, winning football-- these type of programs at the 5a level carry 80,000+ plus salaries and all kinds of intangible benifets. They are the jewels of our state, and many excellent coaches will work hard all their lives and NEVER land a big-time 5a program.

My advice-- unless you have an incredible resume, see who is hiring, make some calls, and then look at the town you want to live in. If you are up to a challenge, don't be afraid to take a position at a smaller school or one with out much tradition, and try to build a winner- that is the surest way to land a HC/AD slot at a big-time 5a program.

Best of luck to you!!!!! Texas needs coaches like you who are enthusiastic about the game and the kids, and who want to make their mark on the biggest HS football stage in the land. You have the right attitude, I hope I will be hearing about an Ohio coach leading a team to the 5a D1 title game one day.

RGVBadBoy
05-03-2005, 12:19 AM
damb Firebird, a single tear drop just left my eye right there.....well said...

LP-79
05-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Well another person that was not born in Texas trying to get here as fast as he can. Good Luck and I hope you find the opputinity you are searching for.

RocketQB
05-03-2005, 01:03 AM
As stated in previous posts, there are several areas throughout Texas that would not be bad choices--San Antonio being one of them. San Antonio has a rich, Texas heritage and is a family oriented city. There are a variety of activities throughout the year, so it should be fairly easy for you to find something you enjoy.

As for school districts, you have San Antonio, Edgewood, Northside, Southside, and North East. Other districts not in San Antonio but located in the surrounding areas include Judson, Schertz, Comal, and East Central (to name a few). Out of all the districts mentioned, your better schools and teams are in the Judson, North East, and Northside districts. Schertz and Comal have good schools/teams also. As a matter of fact, Schertz, Judson, Comal, and Northside are opening new high schools either this fall (2005) or next year. Might be something you look into.

Cost of living is not bad. Traffic is not too bad. Nothing compared to areas like Austin, Houston, or Dallas. Four major highways (IH-35, IH-10, Loop 410, and 1604).

A variety of foods to enjoy ranging from mexican to chinese to indian to soul food to italian to seafood. You name it, we've got it!

We have the Spurs, the missions (minor league baseball), talks of possibly bringing soccer to the city. I also heard mention of Red McCombs wanting to purchase the New Orleans Saints and bring them to San Antonio. Not sure of the status of that, but it was in the news a few weeks ago.

You are centrally located which allows you to drive to other cities in a matter of a few hours, i.e., Houston in about 3hrs, Austin in 1hr, Dallas in about 4hrs. Something to think about.

lonny23
05-03-2005, 01:25 AM
Way too expensive. He said he wanted GOOD football! :p

The town is planned well, though.

lonny23
05-03-2005, 01:31 AM
I didn't tell him to move to Converse because we all know the streets are bad. He wanted country, good housing prices, good football, and close to the big city. There's only one place in the state that meets those criteria and that's Smithson Valley. I've been to every county in this state and know you guys homeristic posts are blowing smoke.

lonny23
05-03-2005, 01:33 AM
I say a move to Texas, is a move to Texas. We have the best football around, best fans around, and if you ask me, the biggest selection of food anywhere... :)
Man, I disagree with that post. Some places are definitely better than others. There is a wide range of people and some are friendlier than others. Economics also plays a part in better places to live.

lonny23
05-03-2005, 01:36 AM
hey Coach, move to the Rio Grande Valley, we have pretty good football down here....we pay ALOT and the cost of living is really low, its a beautiful area....i know that most of the posters on this site will have nothign good to say about the RGV, but i can tell you, i have lived in several areas throughout the state and none have grown on me the way the RGV has....at least give the area some thought......its a great place to raise a family....we are not overrun by gangs, street violence and drugs.....take it from me....Mission is the best Area to live in.....the RGV ROCKS!!!! :D
The towns down in the Valley don't seem bad. I like the weather, and although it's not my favorite place, it sure blows Laredo away. The smaller RGV towns aren't anything to write home about, but the others like Brownsville, McAllen, Harlingen, Mission, Edinburg, etc. are very liveable.

lonny23
05-03-2005, 01:46 AM
One of the previous guys had a real good post about it being hard to get good jobs. If you have a real good resume, you might break into 5A, but most guys don't start there.

Pat Collins came to Texas from Louisiana and was at Longview for a good while. He didn't dominate high school football over there, but he was a good coach. He won the 1987 Div 1-AA title at Northeast Louisiana (LA-Monroe).

Judson's new Def. Coordinator just quit as Head Coach at 4A New Braunfels and he was in the state title game in 2002.

Most guys win big at lower levels and work their way up to bigger classifications. Other guys move up in class, but take assistant jobs. The overall best coaching is in 5A, just like the BCS conferences.

Bootsdaddy
05-03-2005, 01:54 AM
What's the weather like on average in the winter? From say Nov 1 to Mar 1.

Rerun
05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Way too expensive. He said he wanted GOOD football! :p

The town is planned well, though.

Ohhohohohoh, L2K, you better be gald you moved, cuz if you were still in Converse I would track you down and wale on you for that comment. :p :confused: :cool:

owlfan 1
05-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Dallas has snow? Sure, MAYBE once every year or two we get a 1-2 inch dusting that causes the whole city to shut down. It also gives the tv reporters a chance to either 1) go stand next to a freeway overpass to watch cars slide into the retaining walls or 2) go watch the road crews load up their trucks with sand.

Great 5A and 4A football in the metroplex, with awesome matchups nearly every week.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Come to P.A. memorial. Maybe you can win a title with championship caliber players, something Colbert can't do. :mad:

XSVRanger
05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm sure the RGV is a great place to live and all, but I'm not sure the high school football there can compete with the rest of the state. This is just based on what I saw when SV played San Benito. The fan support was great, you all packed the dome from endzone to endzone, and y'all made a lot of noise too! But the game wasn't so great. I was surprised that a two loss team from the SA area could just run all over an undefeated (12-0) RGV team 51-0. Maybe it was just because their QB got hurt? You all can post your opinions on that. As for where you should move, I think one of the new high schools in the SA/Austin area, maybe the new Canyon Lake high school. It's got everything you said you wanted. I look forward to the possible rivalry.

lonny23
05-04-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm sure the RGV is a great place to live and all, but I'm not sure the high school football there can compete with the rest of the state. This is just based on what I saw when SV played San Benito. The fan support was great, you all packed the dome from endzone to endzone, and y'all made a lot of noise too! But the game wasn't so great. I was surprised that a two loss team from the SA area could just run all over an undefeated (12-0) RGV team 51-0. Maybe it was just because their QB got hurt? You all can post your opinions on that. As for where you should move, I think one of the new high schools in the SA/Austin area, maybe the new Canyon Lake high school. It's got everything you said you wanted. I look forward to the possible rivalry.
San Benito had a few other guys injured, too. The level of competition that SV played gave them a huge advantage when they played San Benito. A healthy San Benito team was not going to beat SV. The RGV does not have the coaching, players, or equipment to compete with SA.

dragonsdaddy
05-04-2005, 08:14 AM
lonny, you are going to be placed on the same trash heap with me for stating the obvious. you should be nicer and not bring that up.

Rerun
05-04-2005, 08:22 AM
San Benito had a few other guys injured, too. The level of competition that SV played gave them a huge advantage when they played San Benito. A healthy San Benito team was not going to beat SV. The RGV does not have the coaching, players, or equipment to compete with SA.

maybe they'd be better off in 6 man action :)

RedRage00
05-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Ohhohohohoh, L2K, you better be gald you moved, cuz if you were still in Converse I would track you down and wale on you for that comment. :p :confused: :cool:

You can still wale him...PM me for his address :D

RR

lonny23
05-04-2005, 09:23 PM
maybe they'd be better off in 6 man action :)
Doesn't Highlands play 6-man? :)

Jtate862003
05-04-2005, 11:48 PM
Would you want to be coaching at 5a level...........tyler has great football here but i dont know of any openings at John Tyler or Tyler lee.....but if you have a good enough resume...there are alot of smaller schools around that have great football.....all within however far you want to move away from tyler.....troup, arp, athens, kilgore, there are so many small towns around that come to tyler and or longview for resturants/entertainment...if your looking for the country/city living look no further than east texas...ANNNNND you wouldnt have to deal with the big city traffic. Just My Opinion Though

RGVBadBoy
05-04-2005, 11:55 PM
What's the weather like on average in the winter? From say Nov 1 to Mar 1.
beautiful, mid to upper 80s

RGVBadBoy
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Headliner and svranger

i never said, i dont think anyone ever said that SanBenito could have beaten SmithsonValley, even with their starters they were missing, there was 8 to be exact, the QB (a 2,000yrd rusher) on offense and 6 starters on Defense.....the SanBenito D was really good, but i would like to see even the great SmithsonValley play SLC without 6 starters on Defense....dont get me wrong, i have GREAT respect for SV, i wish i played there, but its true....when you lose a 2,000yrd rusher, team moral goes down, the backup QB was a starting WR but he went down with a collar bone, so SanBeni was actually playing with their 3rd string QB so right there they were out of a WR too. like i said, SanBenito was 12-0, if they would have been completely healthy, i believe it would have been a better game, but again i dont think they could have beaten SV, IMO SanBenito could have probably beaten every other SA team aside from SV obviously, Judson and maybe O'Connor if completly healthy, but unfortunatly for us the games were never played so we'll never know....

as far as us not having the Coaching, Equipment and Talent......i agree to an extent, i dont think the RGV coaches are the cream of the crop, certainly no where near in compariston to Coach Hill at SV, Coach Dodge at SLC..but they are alright.....yes, just alright......Equipment, i think we're pretty good in this dept.....now Talent....is a big one, i gotta disagree with ya there.....we got some great kids, fast, big, strong, you name it, we got it......what we dont have is dedication.....there inlies a problem, one example of a pretty darn good RGV team with DEDICATION is little Port Isabel, they arent the biggest, but they got GREAT coaching and great dedication, they may not win state titles, but they are in the regiona and semi finals in 3A every season

gator9
05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Mr. Ohio Coach better get his TEA certification or else he will only have the private schools to look at.

North Shore Mustang
05-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Come to NS...

GREAT PAY!!! :)

You'll be surrounded with everything you need.

They are building brand new homes/neighborhoods and it's looking nice around here. Some areas around here are nice and private.

Overall, great school and tons of support. Two things you really want.

WATCH OUT!!!!! 05 Mustangs are ROLLIN'... :mad:

Red Raiders
05-07-2005, 01:23 PM
sorry double post.

Red Raiders
05-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Move to Tyler, its increasing very fast about 25,000 people in 10 years moving here and also state championship Tyler Lee. Coaches paid about 90,000 dollars I think (the head coach is)

Red Raiders
05-07-2005, 01:26 PM
beautiful, mid to upper 80s

and summer like 120s, lol.

RGVBadBoy
05-07-2005, 01:52 PM
and summer like 120s, lol.
its the RioGrandeValley, not Laredo or DelRio where temps regularily reach 110 to 115.....the RGV is rarely hotter than 100 to 103 deg during the summer...RARELY...the avg in teh summer is probably about 96 ot 97 degrees, yes it is hot, but there is always a nice cool breeze during the day here and come dusk, temps drop dramatically to make a quite nice afternoone, plus we're close to the beach!!!!!!!!! :D

XSVRanger
05-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Most of you all are naming big cities to move to when he said he wanted country living close to a big city. SV is the perfect place!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
We need you at PAM. Dam Colbert to hell if we don't make the 3rd round or more this year. he has no excuses this year he has the talent, the best WR corps in school history potentially, the best secondary, and last but not least he will have one of the best Sophomore RB in the state.

lonny23
05-14-2005, 07:46 AM
Move to Tyler, its increasing very fast about 25,000 people in 10 years moving here and also state championship Tyler Lee. Coaches paid about 90,000 dollars I think (the head coach is)
Tyler hasn't gained 25,000 people in the last 35 years. They have over 83,000 and were over 61,000 in 1970.

LP-79
05-14-2005, 08:14 AM
Hell they need him at Huntington! If he could turn that program around and make the playoffs he would be a hero around there!

Texas Hammer
05-14-2005, 08:34 AM
This guy is just better off getting a job here where he can and work from there. It seems that you usually go down in class when you take a job in Texas from out of state.

wide-e-wide
05-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Hell they need him at Huntington! If he could turn that program around and make the playoffs he would be a hero around there!

Dude why would you wish that on anyone?

Texas Hammer
05-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Dude why would you wish that on anyone?
Outside of a few people, you have to take what you can get anywhere in the state and then move up.

bubbacoach
05-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Coach, I am a coach in the San Antonio area. Our football is very good. We do not have the athletes that Houston or Dallas does but we have very good coaching. I am biased, but I think the best coaching goes on in SA. 26-5A is the most competitive district in SA and possibly the state from top to bottom. There are many places aaround SA to live that are small towns. Over half of our staff lives outside the SA area and commutes. The city of SA is a great city with a small town feal. What do you coach?

dada
05-12-2006, 10:56 AM
Coach, I am a coach in the San Antonio area. Our football is very good. We do not have the athletes that Houston or Dallas does but we have very good coaching. I am biased, but I think the best coaching goes on in SA. 26-5A is the most competitive district in SA and possibly the state from top to bottom. There are many places aaround SA to live that are small towns. Over half of our staff lives outside the SA area and commutes. The city of SA is a great city with a small town feal. What do you coach?
LOL...Bubba that was a year ago...dont think that guy is still around.

bubbacoach
05-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Man I feel like an idiot, I did not even look at the date on this thread. I just saw someone looking at it and opened it up.

dada
05-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Man I feel like an idiot, I did not even look at the date on this thread. I just saw someone looking at it and opened it up.
LMAO...as a matter of fact, the last post was almost a year ago this month.

bubbacoach
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I will pay more attention next time. I went to Who's online and saw it by one of the peoples name and started reading it without looking at the date. Actually I just saw the 5-1 part and did not finish reading the whole date. Oh well. Move Along there is nothing to see here. What are you laughing at? Leave me alone and go away. LOL

dada
05-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I will pay more attention next time. I went to Who's online and saw it by one of the peoples name and started reading it without looking at the date. Actually I just saw the 5-1 part and did not finish reading the whole date. Oh well. Move Along there is nothing to see here. What are you laughing at? Leave me alone and go away. LOL
I had to look at the year again...I also just looked at the month and saw that this thread was like 4 pages long and thought "HOW DID I MISS THIS"...then I saw the 05....lol

bubbacoach
05-12-2006, 11:05 AM
I made SA sound good though, didn't I?

dada
05-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I made SA sound good though, didn't I?
yeah, you sold it alright....lol

The Great Evaluator
05-12-2006, 11:24 AM
This thread reminds me a little of Coach Wager at Martin High School - jumped on his motorcycle and headed south to Texas. Here's some Q&A with someone who was once in your shoes:

The Link (http://forums.insidehighschoolfootball.com/index.php?showtopic=229)

Check out the video at the bottom...This guy is crazy!

ACM Dad
05-12-2006, 11:41 AM
As we all pimp our towns, I will say that in a recent nation-wide survey, real estate prices in College Station remain the number one value for what you get in the USA.

Not sure what the coaches make here, but with Texas A&M in our backyard you get all the trappings that go with any good sized university town. In addition, we're less than an hour and a half from Houston and Austin. We're 2.5-3 hours from DFW. We're about 2.5 hours from San Antonio. Right kinda in the middle, easy access to all four major towns in this state.

Central Texas has great football, as most other areas of the state as well. North side of Austin was mentioned earlier and that is a great place to live, but it's getting more and more crowded and busy.

RedRage00
05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I had to look at the year again...I also just looked at the month and saw that this thread was like 4 pages long and thought "HOW DID I MISS THIS"...then I saw the 05....lol

LMAO! I did the same thing...then I figured it out when I realized I had posted a response on the first page. lol

Miss Kitty
05-12-2006, 12:01 PM
OH MAN!!!!!!!!!! You guys need a good weekend break!!!!!!!!! LOL

toonman
05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Coach - How about posting your resume here and then I will tell the best to live!!!!!!!

bubbacoach
05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
DaDa4w
I do not feel so bad now. There has been a rash of people that did not realize this was a year old.

MesquiteRebel
05-12-2006, 01:38 PM
District 3 and 26 are the 2 best districts in the state and each has their advantages.

There are big stadiums and good support in 3 (Abilene, Abilene Cooper, Odessa, Odessa Permian, Midland, and Midland Lee). The amenities are less and the travel is greater.

26 has just as good of football, but not as much support. All the schools are within 25 miles of each other. The SA cost of living is cheaper than Austin, Dallas, and Houston. SA houses cost less than Wichita Falls!

Yeah, If Midland Lee has another year like last year, that job may be up for grabs.:D

Just kidding. I will give some advice though, If you're not really serious about winning at all costs, or if you don't have really thick skin, I would recommend coaching football in Texas.

dada
05-12-2006, 01:41 PM
DaDa4w
I do not feel so bad now. There has been a rash of people that did not realize this was a year old.
I saw that.....oh well...it's Friday....the season needs to hurry up and get here:D

MesquiteRebel
05-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Austin area (nuff said)

Lubbock Texas, (nuff said)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redttu5/detail?.dir=/bfb3&.dnm=dd35.jpg&.src=ph

:eek:

HUM398
05-12-2006, 02:33 PM
I think its funny that this thread is a year old..........

Football offseason sucks

RedRage00
05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
Does anyone even know what he decided? lol

mojo61
05-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Lucky Abilene people, at least they got grass. :mad:

That's funny MHS Ram! :D I don't know if anyone fm. Ohio could endure in any place west of Abilene. However, Abilene does have 3 beautiful lakes. :D

mojotrain
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Bukeye! I am assuming you wish to coach. If so I'll tell you about a place with an opening as we speak. San Angelo, It has all the qualifications of which you speak. Beautiful country, deer, turkey, farm land, ranch land, Historic sites as forts and buildings which are well maintained. Close to 100,000 people and shopping centers more likely, like any town of same size in Ohio. The only one detractor is the word city. If you can look on the map it seems a long way from Dallas and Fort Worth. Medicial facilities are great. Three great Black Bass lakes near by. Except for Ice and snow it would be close what you now know. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with friendy people. Central the school with the opening is a 5A cchool and the other school in town is 4A. You can get to Dallas if thats your wish in a little less that three hours. You can get to ball games in Odessa, Midland, Abilene, Brownwood, Stephensville, Lubbock and Amarillo all within 1 hour to 3 hours drive. Two hundred miles in this part of Texas is like across Dallas or Across Houston to watch a game. Except no traffic. The major high schools in this districts have any where from 900 to maybe 3600 students but that would encompass both 4A and 5A districts.

If you know Texas High School Football, this town and area offers The apex of the game. Good , Bad or, ugly this is the place.

If you just want beautiful country and the envy of Texas and also excellent football country. Draw a twenty mile circle around San Antioio then another about 80 miles out and go to any where in this outer circle. Beautiful hills. streams, lakes. Historic sites abound. Kinda a German Hispanic culture that
will have you watching your blood pressue in no time. This is where I would go If Permian would go with me.

The state is so vast and varied you can really pick a customize place for you and your faimly. After narrowing down you list please consider weather. High Humidity or none, rain or none, windy or none, Hurricanes or tonorados. Chiggers or none we have it all and you won't be wrong with any choice.

Just bring a little of that Massillion with you ( like Texas, you know their are other great programs up there but you can only remember one or two). If you have any specifics I will be glad to help as much as I can but I am bias to the west Texas area.

Presently San Angelo is in the district with Amarillo schools but believe it will be back in it's old home in 2008 with Abilene Schools 6 state championships, Midland schools with 3 and Odessa with 7. San Angelo has one. I'm not sure that a record for one Texas district but it's darn sure of whoever is in second place.

After I wrote this I thought of something else. I'm sure San Angelo has some sort of at least short hop air travel but to pick up on American or Southwest it would be a 2 hour drive to Odessa Midland. But I spent 3 hours two weeks ago trying to get from one side of Houston to Hobby Airport. Its really just a wash.

mojotrain
05-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Lord I just spent 1 hr. playing chamber of commerce and giving a travel log to Ohio.

If I had to big in a big city, and I don't, SA would be my choice. Is Del Rio still I one of those districts? Lived their from 99 to 2003. Saw three ram games one against Marshall one against Permian and one against Mitland Lee. The rams were pretty bad eons behind those programs.

Gridiron Gopher
05-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Most districts are comprised of 8 or so teams usually within a very short
drive from one another (some aren't very short). In 5A ball there are 3 teams
that head to the play-offs. The team out of the 3 that makes the play-offs with the largest student enrollment goes to Div.I bracket. The other 2 teams
go to the Div II bracket. During the play-offs the Div I bracket plays one less
game than Div II does due to the amount of teams going into either brackets.
Not sure if that's what your looking for or not. Some of these other guys can
probably give you more with specifics.

This coming season there will now be 4 teams in the 5A playoffs.

Red Raiders
05-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Georgetown, Round Rock, Buda, Bastrop, Liberty Hill, Burnet are some of the Austin area towns.

What about Austin Westlake? One of the richest and nicest place to live especially by the lake.

Red Raiders
05-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Why Rio Grane Valley? If I live down there, I will probably get shot! because of too many gangs. Haha

Red Raiders
05-12-2006, 06:23 PM
As stated in previous posts, there are several areas throughout Texas that would not be bad choices--San Antonio being one of them. San Antonio has a rich, Texas heritage and is a family oriented city. There are a variety of activities throughout the year, so it should be fairly easy for you to find something you enjoy.

As for school districts, you have San Antonio, Edgewood, Northside, Southside, and North East. Other districts not in San Antonio but located in the surrounding areas include Judson, Schertz, Comal, and East Central (to name a few). Out of all the districts mentioned, your better schools and teams are in the Judson, North East, and Northside districts. Schertz and Comal have good schools/teams also. As a matter of fact, Schertz, Judson, Comal, and Northside are opening new high schools either this fall (2005) or next year. Might be something you look into.

Cost of living is not bad. Traffic is not too bad. Nothing compared to areas like Austin, Houston, or Dallas. Four major highways (IH-35, IH-10, Loop 410, and 1604).

A variety of foods to enjoy ranging from mexican to chinese to indian to soul food to italian to seafood. You name it, we've got it!

We have the Spurs, the missions (minor league baseball), talks of possibly bringing soccer to the city. I also heard mention of Red McCombs wanting to purchase the New Orleans Saints and bring them to San Antonio. Not sure of the status of that, but it was in the news a few weeks ago.

You are centrally located which allows you to drive to other cities in a matter of a few hours, i.e., Houston in about 3hrs, Austin in 1hr, Dallas in about 4hrs. Something to think about.

San Antonio is a nice are and I wouldn't mind living there (Reagon High School Area). Warm enough there during winter and I am sure they have great mexican food places since they're close to Mexico.

Red Raiders
05-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Would you want to be coaching at 5a level...........tyler has great football here but i dont know of any openings at John Tyler or Tyler lee.....but if you have a good enough resume...there are alot of smaller schools around that have great football.....all within however far you want to move away from tyler.....troup, arp, athens, kilgore, there are so many small towns around that come to tyler and or longview for resturants/entertainment...if your looking for the country/city living look no further than east texas...ANNNNND you wouldnt have to deal with the big city traffic. Just My Opinion Though

Tyler has a heck of alot of traffic now and thats why you see alot of construction on roads and buildings now. it may end up like Austin! lol

Red Raiders
05-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I think its funny that this thread is a year old..........

Football offseason sucks

Haha I didn't noticed it was 1 year old until I saw my post in there a year ago and I was like, "Did I write that 5 days ago?" and then I checked to see the year and it was 05', "I was like crap, who started to have this thread pop back up!. lol

Slim-Rob
05-12-2006, 09:39 PM
wow

Slim-Rob
05-12-2006, 09:43 PM

ROFL same here dada. I always check out the main Statewide board and when I noticed it was so long I was like "WTF?"

lonny23
05-12-2006, 10:46 PM
LMAO...as a matter of fact, the last post was almost a year ago this month.
Yeah, but a smart guy made it!:p

RocklandDragon
05-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Lubbock Texas, (nuff said)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/redttu5/detail?.dir=/bfb3&.dnm=dd35.jpg&.src=ph

:eek:

That's just wrong....wrong....

but so true.

:(

Can't beat a good 'ol dust storm for a nice scenery though. (not really).

:D