PDA

View Full Version : 2005 7 on 7 Champ?

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Who do you think who will win for 7 on 7 state champ? Tyler Lee won the 2004 7 on 7 Champ.

Sorry to offend you If I didn't put your team because I can't name it all.

Eaglewatcher
04-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Midland Lee will be looking for a quarterback for next year so I'm not sure why they were included in this poll. They may be great, but I think they are pretty much and unknown as a passing threat for 2005. I would say Abilene High will have a chance for a good showing with Taylor Potts and Lyle Leong coming back. 7 on 7 is mostly about the quarterback, so who else has a good QB coming back?

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Midland Lee will be looking for a quarterback for next year so I'm not sure why they were included in this poll. They may be great, but I think they are pretty much and unknown as a passing threat for 2005. I would say Abilene High will have a chance for a good showing with Taylor Potts and Lyle Leong coming back. 7 on 7 is mostly about the quarterback, so who else has a good QB coming back?

Well I thought Midland Lee would be good though.

Eaglewatcher
04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Don't misunderstand. I think Midland Lee will be a very good football team in 2005. Maybe on of the best in the state. I just don't see any reason (at this point) to think they will be as good at 7 on 7. Their success this last year was mostly on the running attack, with a little passing mixed in. (Their run made the passing they did effective, I think). They lost their QB and I'm sure Coach Quiz. will find another. I just don't know if he will be a good passer.

relraiderfan
04-03-2005, 11:05 PM
with all of the talented slc receivers and the d1 prospect qb, i would think they would be a favorite if all of them are competing. I know tyler lee has established a pretty good 7 on 7 program and should be able to hold their own.

Texasfrog
04-03-2005, 11:12 PM
They are going to be tough again in 7 on 7 and 11 man football.

There defense is going to be even better this season and their offense will probably be just as good as last seasons.

There new QB- Greg McElroy is suppose to be the real deal with a cannon and very athletic.

jtk1519
04-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I wont be at all suprised if Abilene High wins it. They might just have the best QB/WR combo in Texas in Taylor Potts and Lyle Leong.

Midland Lee had never participated in 7 on 7 until last year and they didnt do all that well. Make no mistake though, as Quiz makes his changes, they will probably start fielding some good 7 on 7 teams.

Texasfrog
04-04-2005, 12:14 AM
I saw Abilene High three times last season (ECA, Midland Lee and SLC). I think Potts is a nice QB although I'm not a fan of his sidearm release. I would like to see him throw it more over the top and get a high release pt.

The Wr-Lyle Leong I thought was a stud !! That kid is legit and has great hands. If his not one of the top five rated Wr in Texas this season somethings wrong.

jtk1519
04-04-2005, 12:22 AM
I saw Abilene High three times last season (ECA, Midland Lee and SLC). I think Potts is a nice QB although I'm not a fan of his sidearm release. I would like to see him throw it more over the top and get a high release pt.

The Wr-Lyle Leong I thought was a stud !! That kid is legit and has great hands. If his not one of the top five rated Wr in Texas this season somethings wrong.

If anybody saw Abilene Cooper's 7 on 7 team last year, we had a WR by the name of Damon Russell. Leong is much like Damon. Damon was about 6'3 with an amazing leaping ability. Cooper made it deep in College Station just because the QB could lob the ball up towards the back of the endzone and Damon would jump up and get it. There was nobody that could stop him. Expect the same from Leong. He's about 6'2 with a great leaping ability. Expect to see the ball tossed up Leongs way and expect him to score quite a bit.

drgnbkr
04-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Carrol's guy like that is James Allen, who now has the confidence and can go up & get it at 6'3"....should be a competitive 7 on 7 season

dragonsdaddy
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
seems to me lp should get some votes with their great soph wr and the true deciding factor in 7on7, db's.

ralph'sboy
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
seems to me lp should get some votes with their great soph wr and the true deciding factor in 7on7, db's.

I agree lp is always a dangerous team in both 11 man and 7 on 7. I think slc's skill players are just too good. :)

Eaglewatcher
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't remember SLC even qualifying for state in 7 on 7 last year. Did they?
I remember thinking that probably a lot of their players were in summer baseball so they didn't field a strong team. They have the athletes to put together a good team if they are not involved in something else this summer. I know Abilene will have to work around both baseball and basketball to get our best 7 on 7 team on the field.

ralph'sboy
04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
No, southlake did not make the 7 on 7 tourney last year. I was only saying that i believe they have the offense, qb, and wr's to have a very good 7 on 7 team this year.

dragonsdaddy
04-04-2005, 11:13 AM
as it prolly should be for every team involved in 7on7, the object at slc is reps and preparation for the fall season. winning the 7on7 state title , while a nice thing in and of itself, has little to no bearing on productivity in the fall. the number of state champs in both these tourneys, in the same year can be counted on one hand and leave room for several chain saw accidents. slc has had the potential skill people to go far into the 7on7 po's every year of its existance. the fact that they haven't always won it hasn't kept them from being modestly successful come december, for the last 5 years. anyone who has watched lots of 7on7 thru the years will recognize that the easiest way to be successful in 7on7 doesn't carry-over into fall ball. teams that stick to their offense, like slc traditionally does, can lose to teams that put in 7on7 offenses just for the sake of 7on7 wins. many of them are playing basketball in november. a great example of the later is azle. the hornets have had great success in 7on7 running plays that can't be run in the fall, but work well in 7on7. and their b-ball teams have gotten the football players earlier than many.

AIRITOUT
04-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Tyler Lee should have a very good 7 on 7 Team again this year. They have Preston Hill at QB and two big receivers that both made impacts in last years State Tourn. with John Williams and Jacob Amie. They also have two returning DB's with Tekerian Cuba and Quett Nicholson.

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Tyler Lee should have a very good 7 on 7 Team again this year. They have Preston Hill at QB and two big receivers that both made impacts in last years State Tourn. with John Williams and Jacob Amie. They also have two returning DB's with Tekerian Cuba and Quett Nicholson.

Tyler Lee has very good skills in 7 on 7 tourny though so they could win again this year.

MojoRaiderPower
04-04-2005, 04:43 PM
You cannot Exclude My Odessa Permian Panthers!!

They won in 2003, while posting one of the worst seasons in school history.

NMHS fan
04-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Tyler Lee has very good skills in 7 on 7 tourny though so they could win again this year.

Very good possibility. I have to take this opportunity to add North Mesquite to the list. Yeah, I'm a homer, but we lost in the semis last year to Tyler Lee and won it all in '99. Now all we need is someone to step up at QB this year... You know we're missing football when we start to get excited about 7-on-7 again. :eek:

ralph'sboy
04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
as it prolly should be for every team involved in 7on7, the object at slc is reps and preparation for the fall season. winning the 7on7 state title , while a nice thing in and of itself, has little to no bearing on productivity in the fall. the number of state champs in both these tourneys, in the same year can be counted on one hand and leave room for several chain saw accidents. slc has had the potential skill people to go far into the 7on7 po's every year of its existance. the fact that they haven't always won it hasn't kept them from being modestly successful come december, for the last 5 years. anyone who has watched lots of 7on7 thru the years will recognize that the easiest way to be successful in 7on7 doesn't carry-over into fall ball. teams that stick to their offense, like slc traditionally does, can lose to teams that put in 7on7 offenses just for the sake of 7on7 wins. many of them are playing basketball in november. a great example of the later is azle. the hornets have had great success in 7on7 running plays that can't be run in the fall, but work well in 7on7. and their b-ball teams have gotten the football players earlier than many.

well said dragondaddy.well said.

CCDawgs05
04-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I hope my dawgs from cove can get another shot this year....our 2003 team was surely a top contender but a brawl with Bryan at a Qualifier got us a DQ.....and last year we got to the Consolation Semis before losing(forgot who)....

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 09:28 PM
I hope my dawgs from cove can get another shot this year....our 2003 team was surely a top contender but a brawl with Bryan at a Qualifier got us a DQ.....and last year we got to the Consolation Semis before losing(forgot who)....

What was yall record?

Owned05
04-05-2005, 12:58 PM
I don't even think who wins.

It's just a bunch of "t-shirt hero's" going out there throwing the ball around and such. Though, Tyler Lee did win the 7 on 7 tourney and the state championship, when was the last time that happened?

Also, who did Lee beat in the finals? Katy Taylor? (I think.) Any of yall remember how they finished? Same with a few years ago with Cinco Ranch winning it all, they didn't make the playoffs either.

It's hard to gauge how each team is during 7 on 7 because some players don't even play. Some go out of town for vacaction, some have other commitments, and all. Also, you'll find teams that run the spread offense will usually do better than teams that run anything else.

But theres usually some surprises in the tourney and I don't doubt this year'll be any different. It's hard to pick a team that'll win it.

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Tyler Lee always good in 7 on 7 tourny.

ALLSTAR
04-05-2005, 10:52 PM
its all slc. with mcelroy, the recievers, the secondary and even the center getting into guys heads... its over

drgnbkr
04-05-2005, 10:58 PM
its all slc. with mcelroy, the recievers, the secondary and even the center getting into guys heads... its over
The center does'nt do anything in 7 on 7..... Carroll is one of the few that actually uses the center in a regular snap motion to get him work for the reg season, but then he just watches....:confused:

pack4life
04-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Well we just better hand the trophy over to them now!! :p :D

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Well we just better hand the trophy over to them now!! :p :D
Yeah. Wouldn't want to play and sweat out in that Texas heat for nothing...LOL

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah. Wouldn't want to play and sweat out in that Texas heat for nothing...LOL

Anything can happen in 7 / 7..Carroll had lots of injuries during the summer last year...you would have thought they were more loaded then...

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
The center does'nt do anything in 7 on 7..... Carroll is one of the few that actually uses the center in a regular snap motion to get him work for the reg season, but then he just watches....:confused:

How come Southlake Carroll not good in 7 on 7 but there good in regular.

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 04:39 PM
we won the innaugural event and won the loser's bracket championship 2 years ago. we lost in the semi's in 02. last year was the first time we didn't qualify. didn't seem to have a negative influence on the real thing.

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:41 PM
we won the innaugural event and won the loser's bracket championship 2 years ago. we lost in the semi's in 02. last year was the first time we didn't qualify. didn't seem to have a negative influence on the real thing.

Well we won 7 on 7 champ last year (last time 7 on 7).

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
yeah, seems like you may have mentioned that somewhere. is there a point to this?

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
It has been mentioned many times that there is not much of a connection between winning in 7 on 7 and being a force during the regular season, Carroll and Lee obviously being notable exceptions. Colleyville Heritage won the consolation bracket last year (arguably as tough as the champ bracket) and had nothing for the regular season...go figure

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
It has been mentioned many times that there is not much of a connection between winning in 7 on 7 and being a force during the regular season, Carroll and Lee obviously being notable exceptions. Colleyville Heritage won the consolation bracket last year (arguably as tough as the champ bracket) and had nothing for the regular season...go figure

Well I understand that 7 on 7 don't really count but still is for regular season.

drgnbkr
04-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Well I understand that 7 on 7 don't really count but still is for regular season.

Huh? Say again?

Red Raiders
04-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Huh? Say again?

7 on 7 don't count much as regular season game. You see what I am saying now?

dragonsdaddy
04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
7on7 doesn't count at all except for what each team gets out of it in preparation for fall ball. until the ptb decide to give teams some advantage for winning in july, it'll stay as a training ground for skill players.

ALLSTAR
04-06-2005, 10:47 PM

correction, i heard all slc's center does is talk crap the whole time, and i hear that it gets on those linebackers and db's nerves...

ALLSTAR
04-06-2005, 10:52 PM
messin with their heads, and screwing up their game..

BigFanSLC
04-07-2005, 09:02 AM
yah the center from 02-03 was the best at that, the new one just tries to act like the old one lol, there can only be one JJ #50

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
I wish i played football still...lol...man im tired and i still got 20mins in 4th period

odessapermian.com
04-07-2005, 03:34 PM
It appears that Odessa Permian will not be competing in any qualifying tournaments this season. We will be playing in a local league every Monday in June.

http://www.odessapermian.com

Eaglewatcher
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm sorry for the kids that Permian won't go to any qualifiers. Part of the "reward" is getting to go to A&M to play against other kids from across the state in the big tournament. My son played with the Abilene High squad and thought it was one of the most fun things he did all summer last year.

ALLSTAR
04-07-2005, 04:38 PM
yah the center from 02-03 was the best at that, the new one just tries to act like the old one lol, there can only be one JJ #50

JJ was definitley the best at that, do you know where he is now?

AtownEagle06
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
I think that Allen will be able to challenge the top threats of the state this summer with the experience that Nathan ******************** received toward the end of the year. Our receivers are also the most under-rated in the state and I feel they'll shock a lot of people when it comes to the tourny and the season. As with every team the DB's are the question as to how we'll do this summer and during the regular season but the leadership and work needed to succeed are both there for the 05-06 season

BigFanSLC
04-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Allstar: last i heard of JJ he was at UMHB. but that was last semester, no clue where he could be now a days

Red Raiders
04-12-2005, 04:29 PM
I see most votes go to Katy beside others because there is alot of katy online fans on here. Its only 7 on 7 though.

7 on 7 seems like a fun game to me without pads. :)