PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech

lonny23
09-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Did the Red Raiders play the Sam Houston statue or the team today? :D

I just thought they should have a thread. I liked how Hodges said if we don't make mistakes, we might get 100 points, but need to do it next week. Considering they got all their points on offense, only got 1 turnover off of SH, and they had plenty of penalties, I think he's right.

I don't know how good they can be this year, but they stand a chance to get a 1 loss season or run the table if they figure out Texas.

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=lonny23]Did the Red Raiders play the Sam Houston statue or the team today? :D

I just thought they should have a thread. I liked how Hodges said if we don't make mistakes, we might get 100 points, but need to do it next week. Considering they got all their points on offense, only got 1 turnover off of SH, and they had plenty of penalties, I think he's right.

I don't know how good they can be this year, but they stand a chance to get a 1 loss season or run the table if they figure out Texas.[/QUOTE

Well when you are supposed to be a big time program and you consistently schedule teams like 1-AA Sam Houston st. you will never get a thread. What can playing this team possibly tell you about how good your team will be?? Guess this is the only way TT can make sure they will be undefeated going into league play.

bowiedawgs01
09-18-2005, 01:49 PM
The game is in Austin. Texas will win.

lonny23
09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=lonny23]Did the Red Raiders play the Sam Houston statue or the team today? :D

I don't know how good they can be this year, but they stand a chance to get a 1 loss season or run the table if they figure out Texas.[/QUOTE

Well when you are supposed to be a big time program and you consistently schedule teams like 1-AA Sam Houston st. you will never get a thread. What can playing this team possibly tell you about how good your team will be?? Guess this is the only way TT can make sure they will be undefeated going into league play.
If anything, I think they might've done it because they knew they would be breaking in a new QB and wanted time to get him up to speed. They'll do just fine in the Big 12.

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=FootballJunkie]
If anything, I think they might've done it because they knew they would be breaking in a new QB and wanted time to get him up to speed. They'll do just fine in the Big 12.

TT schedules cupcakes every year!!! if this is supposed to be an up and coming program looking for respect then schedule one decent team on your non-conference scedule. Fl International, Sam Houston State and Indiana St. 2 I-AA teams and a team that just moved to 1-A. Schedule is pathetic!!!

Towelie
09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
No offense but Texas Tech doesn't schedule cupcakes every year. Before UT made their fateful trip to Columbus this year, Tech played in the shoe in 02 (the year they won the NC) for what turned out to be a coming out party for one Maurice Clarett. There have also been home and homes with NC State and Ole Miss over the past couple of years. Tech could have played at the Big House against Michigan this year, but elected not to, because Michigan wasn't going to come to Lubbock next year. I mean here are Tech's OOC schedules' since the 2002 season, please point out the supposed "cupcakes" included:

At. Ohio State
At. SMU
Vs. Mississippi
Vs. NC State
At. New Mexico

Vs. SMU
Vs. New Mexico
At. NC State
At. Ole Miss

At. SMU
At. New Mexico
Vs. TCU

garlandowl08
09-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I don't understand how Texas Tech can have any fans outsdie of the nutjobs that go there...all they do is run up the scre...its entertaining for 4 year olds...but I guess thats the intelligence level for TEch's main audience... :D

Reaganrattler07
09-18-2005, 05:10 PM
At. SMU
At. New Mexico
Vs. TCU

You didn't help yourself too much there.....

Towelie
09-18-2005, 05:10 PM
How unexpected here comes the whole "running up the score" argument. Exactly what are the 2nd and 3rd teamers supposed to do when they get into the game? What do you tell the red-shirt freshman or walk on who bust their tails everyday in practice to do when they finally get their number called? Take a knee on every play?

And FYI, at least this "nutjob" can spell the word "outside."

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 05:12 PM
No offense but Texas Tech doesn't schedule cupcakes every year. Before UT made their fateful trip to Columbus this year, Tech played in the shoe in 02 (the year they won the NC) for what turned out to be a coming out party for one Maurice Clarett. There have also been home and homes with NC State and Ole Miss over the past couple of years. Tech could have played at the Big House against Michigan this year, but elected not to, because Michigan wasn't going to come to Lubbock next year. I mean here are Tech's OOC schedules' since the 2002 season, please point out the supposed "cupcakes" included:

At. Ohio State
At. SMU
Vs. Mississippi
Vs. NC State
At. New Mexico

Vs. SMU
Vs. New Mexico
At. NC State
At. Ole Miss

At. SMU
At. New Mexico
Vs. TCU

How far do you want to go back don't stop at 2002!! North Texas, Stephen F. Austin, Lousiana Monroe I mean don't try it even of the teams you listed only one team other than Ohio St that has even sniffed the top 25at the time TT was playing them and that was N C State (TT lost both of those by the way)

Towelie
09-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Off the top of my head I can't remember past 02 and don't really feel like doing the research. Tech played SFA back in 2001 as a make-up for 9/11. As far as UL-Monroe/NE Louisiana I am not aware of Tech playing them, but I could be wrong. Now onto N.C. State and Ole Miss. The Wolfpack were a top ten in 02 up until Week 9 or 10 with Phillip Rivers under center. I want to say that was their best team in school history finishing at 9-3 or 10-3 and playing Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, but I could be wrong. Ole Miss was an upper echelon SEC team (albeit they never won the SEC West), with Eli Manning. Also New Mexico has been a program on the rise and a somewhat traditional "border rival" for Tech. Furthermore, what team in the nation consistently plays more then 1 top 25 in the non-conference portion of their schedule, save Notre Dame and possibly the Florida schools back when Miami and FSU weren't in the same conference? A&M/UT/Tech usually schedules a game against a UH/Rice/SMU/UNT/TCU every year for their alumni in Dallas/Houston and to help on the recruiting front, not to mention a little old SWC nostaglia.

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Off the top of my head I can't remember past 02 and don't really feel like doing the research. Tech played SFA back in 2001 as a make-up for 9/11. As far as UL-Monroe/NE Louisiana I am not aware of Tech playing them, but I could be wrong. Now onto N.C. State and Ole Miss. The Wolfpack were a top ten in 02 up until Week 9 or 10 with Phillip Rivers under center. I want to say that was their best team in school history finishing at 9-3 or 10-3 and playing Notre Dame in the Gator Bowl, but I could be wrong. Ole Miss was an upper echelon SEC team (albeit they never won the SEC West), with Eli Manning. Also New Mexico has been a program on the rise and a somewhat traditional "border rival" for Tech. Furthermore, what team in the nation consistently plays more then 1 top 25 in the non-conference portion of their schedule, save Notre Dame and possibly the Florida schools back when Miami and FSU weren't in the same conference? A&M/UT/Tech usually schedules a game against a UH/Rice/SMU/UNT/TCU every year for their alumni in Dallas/Houston and to help on the recruiting front, not to mention a little old SWC nostaglia.

OK we will do it your way and not give a history lesson. Seems Mike Leach and TT are getting the Bill Snyder disease when it comes to scheduling. Come on now how do you defend 2 1-AA teams and a team that just left 1-AA??? Give me some kinds of excuse besides getting a new QB. Granted every team will schedule a patsy but come on now!!!!

Towelie
09-18-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm with you with that. I'll never defend the 04 schedule. I have no idea what Myers and/or Leach were thinking. I understand Indiana State was a make-up for some team backing out, kinda like how A&M has to play Texas State because FSU dropped them. FIU and Sam Houston I have no idea about though. At least we'll see TCU, SMU, and UTEP next year.

wide-e-wide
09-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Tech's finest ...bwwwahahahahahahahahaha...OMG that is hilarious.

http://media.putfile.com/bellringer

Garland02
09-18-2005, 07:14 PM
Tech's finest ...bwwwahahahahahahahahaha...OMG that is hilarious.

http://media.putfile.com/bellringer

My dad used to tell me, whatever you do, do it well. He must have got the same advice. ;)

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 07:42 PM
How unexpected here comes the whole "running up the score" argument. Exactly what are the 2nd and 3rd teamers supposed to do when they get into the game? What do you tell the red-shirt freshman or walk on who bust their tails everyday in practice to do when they finally get their number called? Take a knee on every play?

And FYI, at least this "nutjob" can spell the word "outside."

No one is placing blame on the 2nd and 3rd teamers or any player for the score only the coaching staff who for the sake of an easy win and padding the stat book schedule obviously weaker opponents on the one hand and then claim they are not respected by the media or in the polls. TT claims they want to be recognized as one of the top teams in the Big XII and the country then they go and schedule teams like this. If these teams prepare you to play UT,OU,or any other "big time" program then please tell me how?? Every team will schedule a "patsy" as I've already stated but this is I say again rediculous.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-18-2005, 07:55 PM
While it is not admirable to play IAA Texas Tech uses that time to develop some sort of confidence and rythum. The Big XII doesn't leave much room for in-game strategizing or in-game development. If Tech were to schedule LSU and Florida in their pre-season they'd most likely be heading into conference play with 2 losses or more. What do you think that does to the psyche?

Also, IAA teams need to play teams like Tech. It helps build their morale, rank and gets them seen on t.v.

It works out for everybody! (Well, not everybody...just ask Sam Houston State, Arkansas and Rice. [whistling] Wow...I thought there was a basketball game being played when I saw their scores.)

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 08:17 PM
While it is not admirable to play IAA Texas Tech uses that time to develop some sort of confidence and rythum. The Big XII doesn't leave much room for in-game strategizing or in-game development. If Tech were to schedule LSU and Florida in their pre-season they'd most likely be heading into conference play with 2 losses or more. What do you think that does to the psyche?

Also, IAA teams need to play teams like Tech. It helps build their morale, rank and gets them seen on t.v.

It works out for everybody! (Well, not everybody...just ask Sam Houston State, Arkansas and Rice. [whistling] Wow...I thought there was a basketball game being played when I saw their scores.)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...beating a team like Sam Houston helps you develop. How much strategy is put in when you beat someone like that?? Maybe I am wrong but playing LSU or Florida early would tell you a lot more about your team than playing Indian St.

Texasfrog
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...beating a team like Sam Houston helps you develop. How much strategy is put in when you beat someone like that?? Maybe I am wrong but playing LSU or Florida early would tell you a lot more about your team than playing Indian St.

When I saw Sam Houston St on Texas Tech schedule I did laugh. Big time scrimmage game for Tx Tech no doubt.

But, when all the smokes clears and water dries up. Texas Tech still scares me as a Texas fan. If they get that offense rolling ..they can be tough to stop.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-18-2005, 08:37 PM

Playing LSU and Florida would be considered dangerous....and may put you at 0-2, which wouldn't look good to the schools' AD! Playing Sam Houston State allows your QB time to develop in-game flow and confidence in his throwing abilities, plus it allows you the opportunity to develop swagger and timing with your squad. Hell, all the big schools pick small schools to pounce on.

But don't forget the TCU's of the world. TCU was horrible last year, and I guarauntee you OU thought TCU would be a push-over in 2005. TCU got a very big win...a motivating win, over OU. If all the big schools play all the big schools, who will the little schools play? More little schools?

For the first 65 years of college football, Florida State was not considered "BIG TIME"...it wasn't until they started playing the big schools and ultimately beating them, did they become an elite power.

Gotta look on both sides of the game. If Sam Houston State upsets Tech, we'd talk bad about Tech!

You guys look at it as Tech beating the crap out of the little school...I look at it as Sam Houston getting a shot at a big school. I'm sure SHSU looks at it like that, as well.

cougardude
09-18-2005, 08:42 PM

At. Ohio State
At. SMU
Vs. Mississippi
Vs. NC State
At. New Mexico

Vs. SMU
Vs. New Mexico
At. NC State
At. Ole Miss

At. SMU
At. New Mexico
Vs. TCU

Aside from Ohio State I don't think any of those schools would be considered any type of powerhouses. ;)

Texasfrog
09-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Aside from Ohio State I don't think any of those schools would be considered any type of powerhouses. ;)

NC State and Ole Miss werent exactly pushovers in 2002 and 2003. Both were top level teams in the ACC and SEC.

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 08:54 PM
NC State and Ole Miss werent exactly pushovers in 2002 and 2003. Both were top level teams in the ACC and SEC.
NC State was ok with Phillip Rivers beat TT twice maybe thats why they don't schedule good non-conference opponents...they lose. Ole Miss wasn't that great even with Eli Manning.

garlandredraider
09-18-2005, 08:55 PM
You dont consider Eli Manning a threat? And the fact that Tech beat Old Miss both years. Good lord!

Also while your at it... Texas State @A&M. Ha. Right.

Cupcakes? Big 12 is king of cupcakes. OSU has 2 DII schools also. Florida Alantic, Rice, LA. LA, Texas State. I mean pretty much every team plays ****** opponents.

Why schedule teams like SMU, TCU, ETC. that all they want is an upset. You have nothing to lose from winning, and they have nothing lose from losing. Build Confidence. Work of weaknesses. That is what NON-conference is about... not trying to upset even bigger teams.

And you know- I would agree that is not worth it. But look at Tech's new coaches poll.... #16. You know, something is working cause Tech sure is moving up. And with the weak big 12 this year, Tech may be heading to a 10-1 season going to the cotton bowl.

Say what you will... every team does it. Tech just learned it from UT and OU.

Now about running up the score... go watch the damn game and then come back and talk. I sat through that entire game and got to watch our 2nd string come in after halftime. Then our third string in the forth qr. I also got to watch Graham Harrell sit at the line and wait for the play clock to hit 1 before he snapped it all 4th qr. I also got to watch a rare Texas Tech drive of only rushing. You can sit and down the ball starting at halftime, sorry. Cant do anything about it.

Other than that screw all who talks crap. Tech is sitting nice at #16.

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Sitting nice at #16 well I am happy for you. What will happen is you will beat Indiana St. next maybe 75-10 and everyone will move you up in the polls. Then you will play UT get the "dog crap" beat out of you and wonder how it happened. All the TT fans will be so upset because these inflated scores against these 1-AA schools will give you a false sense of how good your team is then you will be where you were last year crying the blues when they realize TT is not that good. Everyone schedules a lesser team during the preseason as a tune-up I give you that but look at this schedule. What could you possibly learn about how good your team is by playing these teams. They are not as fast, big, or good as the teams you really need to beat. Unless you play someone that is at least on your level how do you improve? At least this way TT is guranteed to be 3-0 when Big XII play begins.

garlandredraider
09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Yep. Tech is "Guaranteed " when big 12 starts. Also we open with KU at home- NU away- and KSTATE at home. Should be 6-0 with that schedule heading into Austin. If we lose to Texas, who cares....Who the hell is going to beat those guys... ..OU? A&M? ha right....they are awesome. Lets say we are #10-15 in the polls before UT. Big deal, we dont drop far from losing to the #2 team in the nation. We have the schedule to end high in the polls, with A&M and OU both at home. 10-1 record... high rank... cotton bowl birth. I will be happy with that and forget who we even played at the first.

We also have a new QB and young players. These games will be padding into the big 12 north games we have up... then those will be padding into the big 12 south games we end with.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
You dont consider Eli Manning a threat? And the fact that Tech beat Old Miss both years. Good lord!

Also while your at it... Texas State @A&M. Ha. Right.

Cupcakes? Big 12 is king of cupcakes. OSU has 2 DII schools also. Florida Alantic, Rice, LA. LA, Texas State. I mean pretty much every team plays ****** opponents.

Why schedule teams like SMU, TCU, ETC. that all they want is an upset. You have nothing to lose from winning, and they have nothing lose from losing. Build Confidence. Work of weaknesses. That is what NON-conference is about... not trying to upset even bigger teams.

And you know- I would agree that is not worth it. But look at Tech's new coaches poll.... #16. You know, something is working cause Tech sure is moving up. And with the weak big 12 this year, Tech may be heading to a 10-1 season going to the cotton bowl.

Say what you will... every team does it. Tech just learned it from UT and OU.

Now about running up the score... go watch the damn game and then come back and talk. I sat through that entire game and got to watch our 2nd string come in after halftime. Then our third string in the forth qr. I also got to watch Graham Harrell sit at the line and wait for the play clock to hit 1 before he snapped it all 4th qr. I also got to watch a rare Texas Tech drive of only rushing. You can sit and down the ball starting at halftime, sorry. Cant do anything about it.

Other than that screw all who talks crap. Tech is sitting nice at #16.

All of you are looking at this from the view point of the fan. Try envisioning yourself as the head coach. You're the head coach at Texas Tech, and it's the year 2006. You have a school, community and team that wants to win.

You already have contests against SR- Vincent Young and Texas, a reloaded OU squad, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State....then you set up two pre-season games against LSU and Miami. Now if you beat LSU and/or Miami you're in the top 15 going into conference play...you're a hero. Now, if you lose against both LSU and Miami, you're 1-2 and ranked probably 40th in the country.

It's a risk. As a fan you think the coach and team should take a risk....as a head coach and school, you want more wins in the pre-season/regular season. Then play LSU or Miami in a bowl game, hence playing and beating Cal last year in a bowl game.

While it's easier to say, this team or that team plays cupcake schedules, a closer examination of why they choose these games is needed. Risks are needed...but not at the expense of your football season. It's pre-season and OU is already out of the NC bid.

If Tech knew they had a "VERY" good chance (and I emphasize VERY GOOD) at beating USC, they would've probably scheduled to play them in the pre-season. If they win, they make a jump up to #7 or #8 in the nation. If they lose 77 - 21, they fall to #36. (If not worse.)

It's a risk! And some schools can't afford risks.

Texasfrog
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
NC State was ok with Phillip Rivers beat TT twice maybe thats why they don't schedule good non-conference opponents...they lose. Ole Miss wasn't that great even with Eli Manning.

Not wanting to start trash with you but here are some facts about that "not very good" Ole Miss team.

2002 (7-6)

Ole Miss = 28 Tx Tech= 42
Ole Miss = 24 Auburn = 31
Ole Miss = 17 Georgia = 31
Ole Miss = 13 LSU = 14
Florida = 14 Ole Miss = 17

I would say Tx Tech did pretty good with Ole Miss and played them just as good as all the SEC powers in 2002.

2003 (10-3)

Ole Miss = 45 Tx Tech = 49

Ole Miss = 20 florida = 17
Ole Miss = 24 Auburn = 20
Ole miss = 43 Ala. = 28
Ole Miss = 19 Ark . = 7
Ole Miss = 14 LSU = 17 (National Champs).

So, I would say that in 2002 they beat a pretty salty Ole Miss team and in 2003 they beat a very good Ole Miss team.

PS. That LSU National Champ team. They had two tough games that year against ..

La-Monroe (one of the weakest D-1A teams) & Western Illinois (D-1AA team).. how in the heck did LSU win the National title with those weak patsys on the schedule that year ??

Texas State, Sam Houston and SFA can beat La-Monroe (D-1A) team probably 90% of the time. Why did LSU play them ?

FootballJunkie
09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
All of you are looking at this from the view point of the fan. Try envisioning yourself as the head coach. You're the head coach at Texas Tech, and it's the year 2006. You have a school, community and team that wants to win.

You already have contests against SR- Vincent Young and Texas, a reloaded OU squad, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State....then you set up two pre-season games against LSU and Miami. Now if you beat LSU and/or Miami you're in the top 15 going into conference play...you're a hero. Now, if you lose against both LSU and Miami, you're 1-2 and ranked probably 40th in the country.

It's a risk. As a fan you think the coach and team should take a risk....as a head coach and school, you want more wins in the pre-season/regular season. Then play LSU or Miami in a bowl game, hence playing and beating Cal last year in a bowl game.

While it's easier to say, this team or that team plays cupcake schedules, a closer examination of why they choose these games is needed. Risks are needed...but not at the expense of your football season. It's pre-season and OU is already out of the NC bid.

If Tech knew they had a "VERY" good chance (and I emphasize VERY GOOD) at beating USC, they would've probably scheduled to play them in the pre-season. If they win, they make a jump up to #7 or #8 in the nation. If they lose 77 - 21, they fall to #36. (If not worse.)

It's a risk! And some schools can't afford risks.

NO Risk...NO Reward

ThEgReAtOnE
09-18-2005, 10:43 PM
NO Risk...NO Reward

Easy for a fan to say. A coaches' job depends on wins and losses....not risks and rewards! I believe in the whole "Gotta beat the best to be the best"....but Tech knows more about itself, than you or I. What does that say? Who knows?!!

Anyhow, when Leach knows he has a chance against a big time program, he'll take that chance. Until then he'll keep his job....and keep beating SHSU 95-0.
And playing/beating Cal in a bowl game!

Politics of football in college! :D

lonny23
09-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Have any of you guys considered that Tech might've tried to schedule better teams and couldn't get anybody to bite? They are a dangerous team to play and the reward doesn't match the risk for most teams. The scary part about Tech is their coach is better than Mack Brown and if Leach starts to get recruits, you'll see Tech become a perennial national power.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Have any of you guys considered that Tech might've tried to schedule better teams and couldn't get anybody to bite? They are a dangerous team to play and the reward doesn't match the risk for most teams. The scary part about Tech is their coach is better than Mack Brown and if Leach starts to get recruits, you'll see Tech become a perennial national power.

That's my point.....people look at it as Tech beating down on the little guy and I look at it as Tech giving the little guy a chance. Tech has always been on the verge of being an elite program. (I should know, we played them twice in college. We won both times, but it was close calls.)

Leach knows more about Tech capabilities than we do. And the times we played them I always said they could've upset us, but they most likely wouldn't beat Tennessee, Florida State or Miami!

They're dangerous to play these days though!!!

FootballJunkie
09-19-2005, 07:38 AM
That's my point.....people look at it as Tech beating down on the little guy and I look at it as Tech giving the little guy a chance. Tech has always been on the verge of being an elite program. (I should know, we played them twice in college. We won both times, but it was close calls.)

Leach knows more about Tech capabilities than we do. And the times we played them I always said they could've upset us, but they most likely wouldn't beat Tennessee, Florida State or Miami!

They're dangerous to play these days though!!!

Your point is well taken. My counterpoint would still be the same though. TT has nothing to gain from beating these type of teams and everything to lose should one of them beat TT. Nothing wrong with a "tune-up" game but loading the entire front end is alot. As you stated I don't know the situation within so I am just stating my opinions. You and everyone else will at least admit that there are plenty of examples of teams scheduling a good team in the early going perhaps taking a close loss and going on from there to win the National Championship. Ask Auburn about the effects of scheduling opponents like this when it comes time to play for the championship. In this day of voting to see who plays in the "Big" game instead of having a playoff system playing three pastsies in the beginning will hurt you in the end.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Your point is well taken. My counterpoint would still be the same though. TT has nothing to gain from beating these type of teams and everything to lose should one of them beat TT. Nothing wrong with a "tune-up" game but loading the entire front end is alot. As you stated I don't know the situation within so I am just stating my opinions. You and everyone else will at least admit that there are plenty of examples of teams scheduling a good team in the early going perhaps taking a close loss and going on from there to win the National Championship. Ask Auburn about the effects of scheduling opponents like this when it comes time to play for the championship. In this day of voting to see who plays in the "Big" game instead of having a playoff system playing three pastsies in the beginning will hurt you in the end.

I've always believed in playoff systems...and to be frank I'm not a big fan of having playoff series, like MLB, NBA or NHL, where you play the best 3 out of 5 games or 4 out of 7. I like the way the NFL Playoffs or NCAA Basketball Tourney is set up. One loss, "YOU GO HOME!"....no second, third, fourth, fifth chances!

Until we see that type of system we must continue on with the BCS. Is the BCS better than the human poll? yes...better than a playoff system? not at all. The arguing point is taking risks at the beginning of the season. It's kinda like playing poker...Tech can bluff their way into the top 25 by playing a decent squad and two small schools, before conference play, where as Notre Dame, because it is independent, chooses to play Michigan, Michigan St, USC, Tennessee and Pitt. More is to gain from ND playing and beating those teams, but obviously Leach doesn't feel Tech is ready for that kind of scheduling.

However, if Leach goes 8-3 or 9-2 he can play Michigan, ST, USC, Tennessee or Pitt in a bowl game....which would benefit his position as coach and the schools position financially, recruiting wise and t.v. fame.

Schedules can tell alot, overall,...but mainly tells alot about the coach or school system...not the team.

Texasfrog
09-19-2005, 06:49 PM

Tx Tech is on the verge of becoming a pretty stiff college football power. I think right now they're annual #25 with the players, coaching and system they have in place.

Firebird
09-20-2005, 01:35 AM
Part of the deal with Tech is this:

For years, especially in the Spike Dykes era, Tech would regularly schedule 1-game matches agaisnt top ten opponents. Nebraska used to be a fixture on the TT schedule, back in their glory days. But now Tech is on the rise, and has told the bigger name schools that from now on, it is home and home only. This year, some of our opponents refused to give us a home and home series, so we told them to stuff it. Why should we agree to go on the road to Ann Arbor or Columbus without the benefit of a return visit? We are trying to escape our image as a tune-up school. UT is making TOSU come to Austin next year, aren't they? Incidentally, Lubbock has evolved into one of the toughest places to play in the Big 12.

This year's schedule is an anomoly filled with replacement teams who agreed to come to Lubbock and pick up a paycheck. Leach wants to start including natural geographic rivals (TCU, SMU, UH, UTEP). That scheduling starts next year. Most Tech fans do not want this kind of schedule any more, but understand why we have it for this one year.

Finally, before mocking Leach for behaving like Bill Snyder, consider that Bill Snyder took K-State from football purgartory to a fixture in the Top 15 and regular trips to confrence championship games (at least until this latest hiccup). I could thing of many, many worse coaches to pattern yourself after.

lonny23
09-20-2005, 04:43 AM

For years, especially in the Spike Dykes era, Tech would regularly schedule 1-game matches agaisnt top ten opponents. Nebraska used to be a fixture on the TT schedule, back in their glory days. But now Tech is on the rise, and has told the bigger name schools that from now on, it is home and home only. This year, some of our opponents refused to give us a home and home series, so we told them to stuff it. Why should we agree to go on the road to Ann Arbor or Columbus without the benefit of a return visit? We are trying to escape our image as a tune-up school. UT is making TOSU come to Austin next year, aren't they? Incidentally, Lubbock has evolved into one of the toughest places to play in the Big 12.

This year's schedule is an anomoly filled with replacement teams who agreed to come to Lubbock and pick up a paycheck. Leach wants to start including natural geographic rivals (TCU, SMU, UH, UTEP). That scheduling starts next year. Most Tech fans do not want this kind of schedule any more, but understand why we have it for this one year.

Finally, before mocking Leach for behaving like Bill Snyder, consider that Bill Snyder took K-State from football purgartory to a fixture in the Top 15 and regular trips to confrence championship games (at least until this latest hiccup). I could thing of many, many worse coaches to pattern yourself after.
Bill Snyder gets spooked by his own shadow. He thinks telling you his name will give away football secrets. Leach will unload and tell you what he thinks and actually talk.

FootballJunkie
09-20-2005, 07:32 AM

Texas Tech's first-year head football coach Mike Leach is off to a nice start.

His team has wins over New Mexico, Utah State, North Texas and Louisiana-Lafayette and stands proud with a 4-0 record.

Leach is only the second head coach in school history to win his first four games of his tenure. Dell Morgan won his first five games in 1941.

Morgan's squads routed Abilene Christian, Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State), Loyola of the Coast, Centenary and New Mexico by a combined 125-6 to open the season and lost just twice overall, both by 6-0 scores.

But Leach's Red Raiders have gotten no respect this season, and frankly, they have yet to earn any.

They deserve credit for doing what you are supposed to do to low-level teams at home but until they notch a legitimate victory, there will be questions as to how good they are. It takes a legit win to earn respect.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
That was an article from 2000 and guess what Texas Tech is doing the same thing now looking for respect and you won't get any with this schedule just like you didn't at that time. ;)

lonny23
09-20-2005, 10:06 AM

His team has wins over New Mexico, Utah State, North Texas and Louisiana-Lafayette and stands proud with a 4-0 record.

Leach is only the second head coach in school history to win his first four games of his tenure. Dell Morgan won his first five games in 1941.

Morgan's squads routed Abilene Christian, Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State), Loyola of the Coast, Centenary and New Mexico by a combined 125-6 to open the season and lost just twice overall, both by 6-0 scores.

But Leach's Red Raiders have gotten no respect this season, and frankly, they have yet to earn any.

They deserve credit for doing what you are supposed to do to low-level teams at home but until they notch a legitimate victory, there will be questions as to how good they are. It takes a legit win to earn respect.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
That was an article from 2000 and guess what Texas Tech is doing the same thing now looking for respect and you won't get any with this schedule just like you didn't at that time. ;)
Hey, read through the thread. Some of these games are 1 year deals as a makeup for other games that dropped off. Small schools take tough teams to get a check and get visibility. Tech has visibility and can start getting recruits. They don't need to go on the road for 1 year deals and I don't blame them for wanting home games, too.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-20-2005, 10:48 AM

Again...it's not about "deserving credit" or "respect" it's about wins & losses. If I'm Mike Leach I say to myself "I know what my team is capable of"....and scheduling to play Tennessee and UCLA before conference play, while it will be considered admirable/respectable to the "FANS" and "VOTERS", it doesn't behoove me and my program to be facing a possible 1-2 record going into conference play....where OU, UT, A&M, OSU and Nebraska are lurking...and licking their chops.

I'd much rather have top recruits from around the country saying, "Man Tech finished 8-3 (or 9-2) last season, then played Purdue in a bowl game, of which Tech won....wow, I want to play for the Red Raiders"...instead of saying, "Man did you see Tech get blown out by Tennessee last year?....I think their record for the year was 6-5...and they even missed out on a bowl game...wow they stink!"

Respect or deserving credit, in football, is only valued if it's coming from your opponent. Everyone else just has an opinion.

If I'm Leach I love the fact that I have a timing, rythum, confidence and a 3-0 record heading into conference play....then I can shock OU and beat Nebraska and OSU handly....leaving me with a 9-2 record, with close losses to UT and A&M, and putting me in a pretty good bowl game!

Then next year that same team returns...with about 5 to 7 nationally ranked freshman! I just keep building and building, until I have an elite squad.

Tech is close to having an unstoppable elite squad. They need a few more players to step up, plus upsets in the Big XII....and with the way the teams, in that conference, are playing Tech could be sitting pretty at the end of the season.

lonny23
09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Again...it's not about "deserving credit" or "respect" it's about wins & losses. If I'm Mike Leach I say to myself "I know what my team is capable of"....and scheduling to play Tennessee and UCLA before conference play, while it will be considered admirable/respectable to the "FANS" and "VOTERS", it doesn't behoove me and my program to be facing a possible 1-2 record going into conference play....where OU, UT, A&M, OSU and Nebraska are lurking...and licking their chops.

I'd much rather have top recruits from around the country saying, "Man Tech finished 8-3 (or 9-2) last season, then played Purdue in a bowl game, of which Tech won....wow, I want to play for the Red Raiders"...instead of saying, "Man did you see Tech get blown out by Tennessee last year?....I think their record for the year was 6-5...and they even missed out on a bowl game...wow they stink!"

Respect or deserving credit, in football, is only valued if it's coming from your opponent. Everyone else just has an opinion.

If I'm Leach I love the fact that I have a timing, rythum, confidence and a 3-0 record heading into conference play....then I can shock OU and beat Nebraska and OSU handly....leaving me with a 9-2 record, with close losses to UT and A&M, and putting me in a pretty good bowl game!

Then next year that same team returns...with about 5 to 7 nationally ranked freshman! I just keep building and building, until I have an elite squad.

Tech is close to having an unstoppable elite squad. They need a few more players to step up, plus upsets in the Big XII....and with the way the teams, in that conference, are playing Tech could be sitting pretty at the end of the season.
I'll be throwing tortillas in Kyrgyzstan if Tech plays on New Year's Day 2006.

FootballJunkie
09-20-2005, 01:13 PM

I know you are not seriously thinking that Texas Tech is unstoppable or elite.
Texas Tech is doing the same thing the University of Houston did back in the day with Andre Ware and David Klingler. They use a gimicky offense that throws 75 percent of the time and play weak opponents that overly inflate their statistics to make Mike Leach look like an offensive genius. Now give me a break elite status yea right. Money and easy wins you said it yourself is the reason for the schedule and that does not equal an elite team ie. no respect.... of course this is just my opinion.

lonny23
09-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I know you are not seriously thinking that Texas Tech is unstoppable or elite.
Texas Tech is doing the same thing the University of Houston did back in the day with Andre Ware and David Klingler. They use a gimicky offense that throws 75 percent of the time and play weak opponents that overly inflate their statistics to make Mike Leach look like an offensive genius. Now give me a break elite status yea right. Money and easy wins you said it yourself is the reason for the schedule and that does not equal an elite team ie. no respect.... of course this is just my opinion.
I'm a fan of both teams and there is a difference. Houston was hamstrung coming off of probation and Tech doesn't have that problem. Tech is in a better conference. The achilles heel for Houston was scoring in the red zone. I think Tech has a better system for the red zone and that will make a difference. Over time, Tech will have better players than the Cougars.

Firebird
09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
FootballJunkie, you need to put down the haterade for a while, whatever is in it is clouding your vision.

Go ask Cal (ranked #4 before the Holiday Bowl) if Tech is gimmicky. Ask the Aggies, who haven't won in Lubbock in 10+ years, and have dropped (I believe) 7 or 8 of the last 11 versus Tech. Leach's offense has produced the same results at every one of his stops,who cares if football snobs turn up their nose at it.

We have a long way to go before we can claim elite status, but in truth Tech has a real shot at a 1 loss season this year (UT is just too tough.) OU is way down and has to play in Lubbock. The entire Big 12 north has problems.The Aggies are good, but still have to get the Jones Stadium monkey off their back and have a suspect secondary. To be honest, at this point anything less than 9-2 wil be a big disappointment for this squad.

Who cares if you get "respect" for losing at places like Neyland Stadium or Ann Arbor. Recruits sure don't, and Leach has steadily improved recruiting classes since he got here. Bowl wins help a lot with that. What WR wouldn't want to play in an offense that can get him 10-12 catches a game? In addition, although we haven't had any high draft picks, Tech players have a bigger presence in the NFL than ever before. His offense will only get better with better athletes, we have already seen that. Tech is the ONLY Big 12 team that has always finished with a winning season. In addition, we have been getting wins over quality opponents, and winning bowl games, something Spike couldn't do. You say no one gives us respect... Well, we are currently the second ranked team in the Big 12, 16 in the ESPN poll and 19 in the AP poll. If that is disrespect, I'll take it all day long.

In summnation, this is a team on the rise, like it or not. We have to capitalize on the possibilities, before we can talk BCS, but now its a lot closer now than it ever has been before.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-20-2005, 02:08 PM
FootballJunkie, you need to put down the haterade for a while, whatever is in it is clouding your vision.

Go ask Cal (ranked #4 before the Holiday Bowl) if Tech is gimmicky. Ask the Aggies, who haven't won in Lubbock in 10+ years, and have dropped (I believe) 7 or 8 of the last 11 versus Tech. Leach's offense has produced the same results at every one of his stops,who cares if football snobs turn up their nose at it.

We have a long way to go before we can claim elite status, but in truth Tech has a real shot at a 1 loss season this year (UT is just too tough.) OU is way down and has to play in Lubbock. The entire Big 12 north has problems.The Aggies are good, but still have to get the Jones Stadium monkey off their back and have a suspect secondary. To be honest, at this point anything less than 9-2 wil be a big disappointment for this squad.

Who cares if you get "respect" for losing at places like Neyland Stadium or Ann Arbor. Recruits sure don't, and Leach has steadily improved recruiting classes since he got here. Bowl wins help a lot with that. What WR wouldn't want to play in an offense that can get him 10-12 catches a game? In addition, although we haven't had any high draft picks, Tech players have a bigger presence in the NFL than ever before. His offense will only get better with better athletes, we have already seen that. Tech is the ONLY Big 12 team that has always finished with a winning season. In addition, we have been getting wins over quality opponents, and winning bowl games, something Spike couldn't do. You say no one gives us respect... Well, we are currently the second ranked team in the Big 12, 16 in the ESPN poll and 19 in the AP poll. If that is disrespect, I'll take it all day long.

In summnation, this is a team on the rise, like it or not. We have to capitalize on the possibilities, before we can talk BCS, but now its a lot closer now than it ever has been before.

I agree!!

And Footballjunkie...I believe my words were "close to an unstoppable elite squad." With the kind of passing they do and the fact that many teams, today, lack quality db's...TTech will be hard to slow down. Tech has the strategy of what USC is using...except USC has great athletes like, Matt and Reggie, carrying out those strategies.

Just wait until Tech gets the same type of athletes!!

Texasfrog
09-20-2005, 02:18 PM

I still think the Tx TEch win over Cal was better then the Tx victory over Michigan.. at least for me it was.

Cal was so convinced that Tx Tech was an inferior team and couldnt get on the field with them. After the game the Cal defenders had the " glazed over daze look" and many said, " we've never seen anything like that."

That was a great win for Tx Tech and their program.

Texasfrog
09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I agree!!

And Footballjunkie...I believe my words were "close to an unstoppable elite squad." With the kind of passing they do and the fact that many teams, today, lack quality db's...TTech will be hard to slow down. Tech has the strategy of what USC is using...except USC has great athletes like, Matt and Reggie, carrying out those strategies.

Just wait until Tech gets the same type of athletes!!

Totally agree with ya. Texas Tech is in the process of getting some very good athletes into their program. They always seem to have a few on the team. But, its looking more and more like they will have teams in the near future loaded with NFL caliber players.

I think Tx Tech is on the verge of being an annual Top #25 team and sometimes making strides into the Top #10 or better.

FootballJunkie
09-20-2005, 03:53 PM

I am not hating on TT just voicing my opinion. If that is the strategy that Mike Leach wants to use then that's his choice. I just don't happen to agree and that is what I have been stating. If I were a fan of TT and they didn't win 9 games especially when the first 3 are gimmies then I would be upset as well. OK TT beat Cal last year fine TT wasn't better than California anymore then Washington St was any better than UT the year before when they beat them in the Holiday Bowl. Neither one of those teams(meaning UT or CAl) thought they should be in the game they were in and they played like it. I am not going to change anyone's mind and none of you are going to change mine so I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see the benefit to playing these type of teams and others of you do I guess that is the way it will be.

Before I go I think a recruit would rather play on National TV at Neyland stadium or Ann Arbor and showcase his skills in a quality win instead of playing Indiana ST. perhaps thats why certain schools can get recruits even when they are down because they know there will be a couple of marquee games on a big stage.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-20-2005, 04:28 PM
I am not hating on TT just voicing my opinion. If that is the strategy that Mike Leach wants to use then that's his choice. I just don't happen to agree and that is what I have been stating. If I were a fan of TT and they didn't win 9 games especially when the first 3 are gimmies then I would be upset as well. OK TT beat Cal last year fine TT wasn't better than California anymore then Washington St was any better than UT the year before when they beat them in the Holiday Bowl. Neither one of those teams(meaning UT or CAl) thought they should be in the game they were in and they played like it. I am not going to change anyone's mind and none of you are going to change mine so I guess we can agree to disagree. I don't see the benefit to playing these type of teams and others of you do I guess that is the way it will be.

Before I go I think a recruit would rather play on National TV at Neyland stadium or Ann Arbor and showcase his skills in a quality win instead of playing Indiana ST. perhaps thats why certain schools can get recruits even when they are down because they know there will be a couple of marquee games on a big stage.

Any recruit would, most likely, want to play at Ann Arbor, period! And the reason Ann Arbor is on the national stage of primetime t.v. is because of their history. 100 years of it! Tech doesn't have that luxury. I mean they're the Michigan Wolverines....I could care less if they play a lesser team in Northwestern U....I'd still watch the game...or at least part of it.

I believe Tech will ultimately play tougher challenges, but not right now...and definitely not because fans don't respect them....who cares?

Agree to disagree!!

Texasfrog
09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Any recruit would, most likely, want to play at Ann Arbor, period! And the reason Ann Arbor is on the national stage of primetime t.v. is because of their history. 100 years of it! Tech doesn't have that luxury. I mean they're the Michigan Wolverines....I could care less if they play a lesser team in Northwestern U....I'd still watch the game...or at least part of it.

I believe Tech will ultimately play tougher challenges, but not right now...and definitely not because fans don't respect them....who cares?

Agree to disagree!!

Tx Tech is really building the program with Coach Leach. Coach Leach and Tx Tech have really added to the program by expanding the athletic facilities and even added onto the stadium ( about 15,000 seats with boxes).

Their getting higher caliber of athletes into the program "overall".

I think Coach Leach is taking the walk.. jog.. run approach. This past season I think they got into the "jog" area and going.

Lufkin_Class_Of_08
09-20-2005, 05:34 PM
the tech qb has said he wants to score 100 points this week...i think they could do it...dont be surprised if they do...tech always has high scores...just ask nebraska

Firebird
09-20-2005, 11:45 PM
The one thing that has me worried about exactly how far Tech can rise is the recruiting issue. It is hard to compete against a program like UT, with the established tradition of winning. For that matter, there is a HUGE chunk of the statewide recruiting field that WILL go to aTm, regardless of the situation there. Combine that with the fact that Lubbock isn't the most exciting place-- Austin is a "trendy city", and Houston ain't to far from CS. Not to mention the fact that OU recruits like an in state school. TTU has an uphill battle facing them in the recruiting wars.

Nevertheless, things HAVE been improving with coach Leach. We went head to head with OU over Kentucky QB Chris Todd and won. Any program in the country would love to have McKinner Dixon from Lufkin, and again we landed him. We convinced OT Marlon Winn to switch from OSU to Tech, and hauled in an outstanding WR class with Catron Houston, Todd Walker, and Cris Cunnigan. This season we already secured a verbal from Taylor Potts, who is gonna be really special. That is why wins are so important for Tech. We will probably always play second bannana to UT, but wf we can consistently finish with a better record than TAMU and establish a tradition of sending players to the pro's, we can narrow that gap, perhaps completely close it. TT has beat the pants off of Aggie with "inferior" athletes the past few years, if we can land equal or better--- wait and see. A few things are critical-- We MUST keep the great west Texas athletes in west Texas-- it is a shame that Cedric Benson and Roy Williams both went to UT. Securing verbals from Potts and Midlands Baron Davis are both good signs. Second, we need to continue to bolster the pipeline into DFW and North Texas. TAMU and UT are gonna divide Houston between them, but we have shown we can hang with the big boys in Dallas.

southlake thug
09-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Yeah there is still alot of time left. I expect there to be a couple of "big name" players that will commit within the couple of weeks. The program is growing and the players really seem to like Leach.

friendswood72
09-21-2005, 08:09 PM
GarlandOwl, You are a dolt. I am currently a student at Texas Tech and have you ever thought of the possibility that people go to Tech not to be cookiecutter longhorn/aggies? Get real simpleton you don't understand Tech because you've never been here all my friends that go to UT or A&M that have been here say it's alot nicer than their schools plus our crowd at the games will tear you apart. We will Hit em We will Wreck em We will F***in Kick Their A**!

bhs06
09-24-2005, 08:55 PM
The reason they are moving up in the polls is because all the other teams in the Top 25 are falling to teams that have lost to teams that play in a section of NCAA football called division 1.

Iowa, Oklahoma, TCU, A&M, Louisville now, Boise State, Auburn, Georgia Tech to name a few. Of course you will move up when other teams around you fall.

bhs06
09-24-2005, 08:56 PM
GarlandOwl, You are a dolt. I am currently a student at Texas Tech and have you ever thought of the possibility that people go to Tech not to be cookiecutter longhorn/aggies? Get real simpleton you don't understand Tech because you've never been here all my friends that go to UT or A&M that have been here say it's alot nicer than their schools plus our crowd at the games will tear you apart. We will Hit em We will Wreck em We will F***in Kick Their A**!

I always thought it was because you can get into Texas Tech even with a GPA of 1.9 and an SAT of 500, not to mention the "party school" label, the so called wild parties I heard about from all the Tech students who returned home for homecoming yesterday.

friendswood72
09-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Yeah thats the requirement a 1.9 but I only made a 430. I hope you realize how stupid you sound. There are plenty of kids who would rather just come to Texas Tech because it is layed back and yes, the parties are wild, but guess what d-bag? Not everyone here parties balls to the wall, actually mostly frat guys. It's not a "partying" college, every college has its wild parties, but you would not know that since you are still in high school. Please refrain from posting here because you are a complete idiot. ;)

lonny23
09-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah thats the requirement a 1.9 but I only made a 430. I hope you realize how stupid you sound. There are plenty of kids who would rather just come to Texas Tech because it is layed back and yes, the parties are wild, but guess what d-bag? Not everyone here parties balls to the wall, actually mostly frat guys. It's not a "partying" college, every college has its wild parties, but you would not know that since you are still in high school. Please refrain from posting here because you are a complete idiot. ;)
When I was in high school, I could've gotten into any college in the state, except for Rice which was a maybe. Like many people, I looked at college catalogs for places all over the state and looked for a good fit for degree programs and places to live. I considered Texas Tech, just like a lot of other universities that are too numerous to mention. Many people choose Tech because it's right for them, not because they failed to get accepted someplace else.

NEWSFLASH: NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS STATE LIKES A&M OR UT!

I've been to the campuses of the vast majority of public and private universities in Texas and all of them are decent places to get an education.

Firebird
09-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Right on, Lonny 23.

The fact is, that just about any University in the state CAN provide you with an undergrad education on par with just about any school in the country. That is if, and only if, you WANT to come away with a good education. If you go to Tech, study your butt off, and come away with a good GPA and test scores, you are going to be able to continue grad work at just about any place you want to. Any one who went to UT or A&M has no business pinning the "party school" label on Tech, both places do more than their fair share, just like all the other schools in Texas. I went to a DII Christian school with a reputation for extreme conservatism and moral turpitude, but if I had wanted too I could have had the party school experiece.

lonny23
09-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Firebird,

Did you go to some place like Abilene Christian? I had a teacher (one of the football coaches) in 8th grade that played football at ACU and he used to tell our class about his college days and how one year they plastered a whole wall with Playboy pictures.

friendswood72
09-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Lonny,

I read you man. I got into A&M i didn't get into UT but i knew from the beginning that Tech was the right place. Everyone here is layed back, and like you said, if you want a good education then you'll get it it doesn't matter what university you go to ( to a point ). Texas Tech has a couple great grad schools too not to mention an awesome tradition and crazy football games.

bhs06
09-25-2005, 06:40 PM
NEWSFLASH: NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS STATE LIKES A&M OR UT!

I don't either. The college I plan on attending and support isn't even in the Big 12. And UT/A&M, from what everyone says, are just as big of "party schools". I just hate people who attend college thinking partying first education later, get into colleges and other people who actually deserve to go to that college and go to that college for the right reasons(EDUCATION) get rejected because they either can't pay or weren't accepted.

Firebird
09-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah Lonny, I went to ACU. I love Abilene Christian, and what they stand for, but at the same time I don't kid myself about the place. There were some wild partyers out there, same as at every school. The only difference is that at ACU they tried to cover their activities up a little more. ACU has, however, made serious strides in its transforming itself from a simple "Christian" college into a real University. Talking to people from different schools, I would put the academics at ACU up agaisnt anyplace in the state, save maybe Rice. Of course, being a private school that depends on tuition to save bills, the enterance standards are lower than some other places, although higher than most of the state U's.

farmerfan
09-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah Lonny, I went to ACU. I love Abilene Christian, and what they stand for, but at the same time I don't kid myself about the place. There were some wild partyers out there, same as at every school. The only difference is that at ACU they tried to cover their activities up a little more. ACU has, however, made serious strides in its transforming itself from a simple "Christian" college into a real University. Talking to people from different schools, I would put the academics at ACU up agaisnt anyplace in the state, save maybe Rice. Of course, being a private school that depends on tuition to save bills, the enterance standards are lower than some other places, although higher than most of the state U's.

I attneded Howard Payne in Brownwood for a semester, some of the best parties I have ever been to were in Abilene, those parties usually involved people from all 3 schools in Abilene (ACU,HSU,McMurry). and it was always wild.

businesstron
09-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Hell I headed Out of Texas for College(Grambling State). Anyway to Tech the cupcake scheduling thing isn't a terrible idea Snyder did it back in the day(where Kstate was good) and it worked out great for them then. I'd do 2 cupcakes and a decent to dominant team before Conference play. Tech gets alot of respect in my book. I can't remember the last time they didn't go to a bowl game and they are atleast up there with UT and Aggy every year(even though they get slaughtered by them(UT) last year). You can diss every other team in the country for scheduling sorry teams it's a fact of life...get used to it.

TheProphet
09-26-2005, 12:00 AM
until tech plays a school that has registered a division 1 1A win they do not deserve a thread. end of discussion

wide-e-wide
09-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I'm curious ...can someone tell me the meaning behind Tech fans throwing tortillas at their games? I'm serious...I've never received a straight answer on this one.

lonny23
09-26-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm curious ...can someone tell me the meaning behind Tech fans throwing tortillas at their games? I'm serious...I've never received a straight answer on this one.
Maybe they thought they were going to the Fiesta Bowl one year! I have no idea.

Firebird
09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Here you go, the reason for Tech's tortilla throwing. It's actually pretty cool.

Gabe Rivera was a defensive lineman out of SA Jefforson who played for TTU in the late 70's--early '80's. He was also, as you may have guessed, Mexican-American. A consensus all-American, he was probably the best player ever for Tech, as evidenced by the fact that the Pittsburgh Steelers selected him as their 1st pick in the 1983 draft. The Tech qb nicknamed him "Senor Sack", and he was a hero and cult figure on campus. One day in an interview a reporter asked him what he missed most about home, and he replied "my mother's tortillas". So, the next game, one of the fraternities threw tortillas onto the field for Gabe at the start of the next game. It caught on, and just never went away.

Ironically, a tradition that began as a way to salute and in no way degrade a standout Mexican-American footballl player came under fire for being racist. The University of New Mexico admin complained that Tech threw tortillas as an insult that University's large Hispanic population. The practice is dying out now, mostly because the officials don't like to have tortillas flung onto the field.

Sadly, Gabe Rivera was paralyzed in a car accident after a rookie of the year season with Pittsburgh, he was intoxicated and not wearing his seatbelt.

TechGuy07
09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
There's also a rumor...

A Aggie writer referred to Lubbock as "flat as a tortilla" and continued to blast the school/city. Tech was playing aTm that week and as a response the student section threw tortillas onto the field as aTm entered the field.

friendswood72
09-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Yeah they pat us down to make sure we dont have any tortillas and at the beginning of the game they make sure to remind us anything thrown on the field might be cause for a flag against texas tech.

lonny23
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Here you go, the reason for Tech's tortilla throwing. It's actually pretty cool.

Gabe Rivera was a defensive lineman out of SA Jefforson who played for TTU in the late 70's--early '80's. He was also, as you may have guessed, Mexican-American. A consensus all-American, he was probably the best player ever for Tech, as evidenced by the fact that the Pittsburgh Steelers selected him as their 1st pick in the 1983 draft. The Tech qb nicknamed him "Senor Sack", and he was a hero and cult figure on campus. One day in an interview a reporter asked him what he missed most about home, and he replied "my mother's tortillas". So, the next game, one of the fraternities threw tortillas onto the field for Gabe at the start of the next game. It caught on, and just never went away.

Ironically, a tradition that began as a way to salute and in no way degrade a standout Mexican-American footballl player came under fire for being racist. The University of New Mexico admin complained that Tech threw tortillas as an insult that University's large Hispanic population. The practice is dying out now, mostly because the officials don't like to have tortillas flung onto the field.

Sadly, Gabe Rivera was paralyzed in a car accident after a rookie of the year season with Pittsburgh, he was intoxicated and not wearing his seatbelt.
Yeah, they had an article in the SA Express-News about him last month and he looked BAD. I shouldn't waste food, so maybe I'll eat some tortillas for Tech! :)