PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Explain This ?

LUFPAN
04-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm speechless

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/hp/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Botched_Surgery.html

svhorns
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm speechless

http://www.lufkindailynews.com/hp/content/shared-gen/ap/National/Botched_Surgery.html

:eek: me too......

grayowl60
04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh well..., xxxx happens:eek:

drgnbkr
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Thats just nuts!

svhorns
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Thats just nuts!

haha

mad_fan
04-05-2007, 12:41 PM
There are things you do not put in the hands of the federal government...
This would be one...two of them...

grayowl60
04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
government assistance

gtowndrumma
04-05-2007, 12:46 PM
this kind of thing really isnt that uncommon.... always make sure the doctor reads your chart and knows who you are!

grayowl60
04-05-2007, 01:01 PM
this kind of thing really isnt that uncommon.... always make sure the doctor reads your chart and knows who you are!
Yes..well ok...thanks!:D

gtown04
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
For future reference, just get a Sharpie (or other permanent marker) and write
"Do NOT Remove" on said body part. You could also add a "-----> I'm with Stupid" and point at the right area :p

I heard that this is partly the patients fault. I think he was shown a consent form and signed off even thought it wasn't filled out correctly.

Mhs06
04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Thats just nuts!

I usually dont laugh out loud at forum posts, but you just made me.

Kudos.

grayowl60
04-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Somehow I see a blond joke cominh out of this:rolleyes:

CoveMom
04-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Well, obviously, the blonde surgeon was a member of his local thespian troupe and, being a loyal sort of actor, simply confused "left" with "stage left."

There. Explanation done.

Have a nice day (oh, and about a half a million for your trouble!)

LUFPAN
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Have a nice day (oh, and about a half a million for your trouble!)

That's not nearly enough to compensate for the removal of the family jewels.

BlackandRed05
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
For future reference, just get a Sharpie (or other permanent marker) and write
"Do NOT Remove" on said body part. You could also add a "-----> I'm with Stupid" and point at the right area :p

I heard that this is partly the patients fault. I think he was shown a consent form and signed off even thought it wasn't filled out correctly.

He could have at least took a Sharpie and labeled one with an " L " and the other with an " R "

CoveMom
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
That's not nearly enough to compensate for the removal of the family jewels.

I agree. I hope he gets a lot more than that. A whole lot more. Those jewels are more precious than diamonds. :cool:

LUFPAN
04-05-2007, 03:15 PM
He could have at least took a Sharpie and labeled one with an " L " and the other with an " R "

Or drawn a dotted line with instructions that say cut here.

CKE
04-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm speechless

the doc must have been an aggy alumni

dada
04-05-2007, 03:18 PM
I would sue their a@@es off...then make them rebuild my jewels bigger and better than ever....like the 6 million dollar man....they would be bionic....and would charge people to look at them.

CoveMom
04-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Envelope #1. Blame the previous boss (in this case victim)........

Classic management/crisis tool.

BlackandRed05
04-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I would sue their a@@es off...then make them rebuild my jewels bigger and better than ever....like the 6 million dollar man....they would be bionic....and would charge people to look at them.

Yea you could ask them.... " Hey do you wanta see deez?... DEEZ NUTS!! "

SV61
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Poor guy, is gonna be riding his bicycle in circles now!

No balance!

SV61
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
the doc must have been an aggy alumni

You didn't think that up, all by yourself, did you?

Good one!

:rolleyes:

Favpack
04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Most experts suggest drawing a circle with a Sharpie around that which you want removed/cut on...such as "this knee is the bad one"..

It helps the docs when you do that - they're in a hurry to go play golf and all.

I'm being serious.

Bobcat81
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm speechless

Thats quite a shame really,.. to know doctors have gotten that lackadaisical with their professions. It's downright frightening.

My dad had surgery a few years ago after he had fallen and broken is heel bone in his foot. It had swollen and bruised so bad that the foot was deep purple and the skin had started to peel away from lack of further elasticity from swelling.

Just before the doctor came in to begin the operation, the nurse took a black magic marker and marked the (bad) foot with a big huge "X" to indicate to the doctor which foot needed the operation.. yeah,..as if it wasn't obvious enough without the mark!! Stupidity is rampant in the medical field.

That guy should put that goof-ball doctor out of business, and the Govt. should screen their doctors at the VA a little better. Good Lord! :rolleyes:

mad_fan
04-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Poor guy, is gonna be riding his bicycle in circles now!

No balance!

Not for long...the BAD one WILL still have to come out...

dada
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I remember reading in the paper not too long ago that this guy was diabetic and they had to amputate his leg at the Knee and they amputated the wrong one so he ended up losing BOTH legs.

SV61
04-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Thats quite a shame really,.. to know doctors have gotten that lackadaisical with their professions. It's downright frightening.

My dad had surgery a few years ago after he had fallen and broken is heel bone in his foot. It had swollen and bruised so bad that the foot was deep purple and the skin had started to peel away from lack of further elasticity from swelling.

Just before the doctor came in to begin the operation, the nurse took a black magic marker and marked the (bad) foot with a big huge "X" to insicate to the doctor which foot needed the operation.. yeah,..as if it wasn't obvious enough without the mark!! Stupidity is rampant in the medical field.

That guy should put that goof-ball doctor out of business, and the Govt. should screen their doctors at the VA a little better. Good Lord! :rolleyes:

I am of many of these same opinions, but I will also defend the doctor.

I work in a hospital. We have many MANY precautions in place, to prevent something this critical from happening. Why, I ask? Because, best I can tell, it HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. The "bad" part, isn't always visible.

As for playing golf, I am sure that many doctors do play golf. I am also aware that many of our doctors, are working at all hours of the day. AND night.

Try hangin with a "real" doctor for a few days. Their schedule can be brutal.

We are also blaming the doctor, when it could have been a mistake as innocent as the nurse marking the wrong berry. Yes, the Doctor should verify. That is why we have all the failsafes in place.

And some folks WANT the Government to take our Health care over totally?

:confused:

Firebird
04-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Not in Texas you wouldn't. New law caps malpractice suits at 250,000 dollars.
Seems like enough for one of your jewls, huh:rolleyes:

Redhoss
04-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree. I hope he gets a lot more than that. A whole lot more. Those jewels are more precious than diamonds. :cool:

Now I'm blushing :p

Bobcat81
04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
I am of many of these same opinions, but I will also defend the doctor.

I work in a hospital. We have many MANY precautions in place, to prevent something this critical from happening. Why, I ask? Because, best I can tell, it HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. The "bad" part, isn't always visible.

As for playing golf, I am sure that many doctors do play golf. I am also aware that many of our doctors, are working at all hours of the day. AND night.

Try hangin with a "real" doctor for a few days. Their schedule can be brutal.

We are also blaming the doctor, when it could have been a mistake as innocent as the nurse marking the wrong berry. Yes, the Doctor should verify. That is why we have all the failsafes in place.

And some folks WANT the Government to take our Health care over totally?

:confused:

I wouldn't think the govt could do a satisfactory job of that either.. being they haven't impressed me too much with anything else they've gotten their hands into. But i would be a lot more at ease knowing i had a doctor that was ontop of his game.

Good to know some still take extra percautions to make sure mistakes aren't made. Especially the obvious ones. ;)

Cudos to you for the work you do SV ;)

t-long20
04-05-2007, 08:31 PM
maybe the doctor was confused about whether it was his left or the patients left either way 200K iwill not be enough for the emotional stress

mad_fan
04-05-2007, 08:45 PM
maybe the doctor was confused about whether it was his left or the patients left either way 200K iwill not be enough for the emotional stress

Or maybe he was supposed to be laying face-up...
not FACE-DOWN...:eek:

slorch
04-05-2007, 09:39 PM
I guess he's now qualified to be the next UT mascot. The question is- can he take a dump in the endzone with 80k orangeclads watching?

wide-e-wide
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
I guess he's now qualified to be the next UT mascot. The question is- can he take a dump in the endzone with 80k orangeclads watching?

Beautiful smack there slorch...just wonderful. And I promise I won't cry or run and tell on you. Props for working in the infamous Bevo dump...nice job.

SV61
04-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't think the govt could do a satisfactory job of that either.. being they haven't impressed me too much with anything else they've gotten their hands into. But i would be a lot more at ease knowing i had a doctor that was ontop of his game.

Good to know some still take extra percautions to make sure mistakes aren't made. Especially the obvious ones. ;)

Cudos to you for the work you do SV ;)

Thanks for the good words, Bobcat! Perciate it!

ktCarl
04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
and would charge people to look at them.

I thought that's what you do on Saturday nights in the Montrose area? :D

dada
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
I thought that's what you do on Saturday nights in the Montrose area? :D

I would wear a box like this:(Keep Watching)
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=73315&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=%2Fmotherload%2Findex.jhtml%3Fml_vid eo%3D73315&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

ktCarl
04-06-2007, 11:35 AM
I would wear a box like this:(Keep Watching)
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=73315&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=%2Fmotherload%2Findex.jhtml%3Fml_vid eo%3D73315&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

You could probably get away with that at the Westheimer Art Festival!!!:D

CoveMom
04-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Not in Texas you wouldn't. New law caps malpractice suits at 250,000 dollars.
Seems like enough for one of your jewls, huh:rolleyes:

This was a VA hospital. Therefore, a Federal hospital. Case would be heard in Federal court, not Texas. If I have my "where do I sue?" book open to the right page, that is. :D

TexasRed6x
04-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh man that must really suck. I would fire the whole surgical team for that mistake.