PDA

View Full Version : What do you think...

YouKnowTha3T
04-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Lufkin could do with the teams they have had in the last 5 years if they would have had Todd Dodge as their coach? No offense to Coach Outlaw...but im just curious

CoppellCowboy57
04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Coach Dodge is an amazing coached, and coached the green ppl of southlake to three great years of 5A football. But once agian i belive, You have to have heart to win, you cant just win by your self, you need heart

Bootsdaddy
04-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Lufkin could do with the teams they have had in the last 5 years if they would have had Todd Dodge as their coach? No offense to Coach Outlaw...but im just curious

Lufkin was just a few plays away from playing for 3 titles in 4 years. Unfortunately those few plays were against Carroll. I think they are both better fits in the communities they are in now. In other words I wouldnt trade Coach Outlaw for any coach.

panthermaniac
04-28-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think any other coach could do a better job in Lufkin than Coach Outlaw. We have been lucky to find the perfect coach for our community. We have a very different socio-economic situation here than does SLC, and Coach Outlaw really knows how to motivate and bring out the very best these kids have to offer.

pack0808
04-28-2005, 02:28 PM
i would not trade coach outlaw for the world. the guy has done nothing but win since he has been here. lufkin could very easily have won 3 championships in 4 years if they could had a few breaks vs one of the best teams in the nation. that is why i think lufkin is easily one of the best teams in the nation. i know coach dodge is a great great coach but i would still not trade outlaw and i bet slc feels the same way about dodge.

dragonsdaddy
04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
you read my mind dude. there is no greener grass for either of us.

PackAttack2005
04-28-2005, 04:38 PM
I don't know much about Coach Dodge's overall coaching record but I assume he has built good programs where ever he has coached. I know Coach Outlaw has built winning programs everywhere he has been. Outlaw won 2 Championships in Arkadelphia, Arkansas in 9 seasons, then spent seven years in Sherman, Texas re-building their program and taking them to the finals and semi-finals in 4A a couple of times. He has spent the last 10 seasons at Lufkin compliling a 98 -27 record ( 61-8 in the last 5 years), eight playoff teams, one State Championship, 2 State- semi-finalist and that is just football. He has re-established the credability of all the Lufkin athletic programs on campus.

I think both Coach Dodge and Coach Outlaw have special talents for coaching kids and they were both lucky enough to find the right schools to effectivley administor those talents. I think both mens talents fit the schools they have chosen to continue their successfull ways. You can't argue with success, so I think both coaches ended up where they belonged, and as a Lufkin fan I would not trade or had it any other way.

Favpack
04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I agree with comments made - both are in ideal situations that might not be so great if they switched. Coach D is a great coach that probably has some strengths Coach O doesn't have - and VICE-VERSA.

I'd like to see Lufkin step it up in the area of offensive consistency next year - ala SLC. But, I also feel Coach O's ability to create defensive playmakers he imposes on our D and special teams is second to none.

As BD stated - Lufkin has been just a couple of plays short of playing for 3 state titles in 4 years - and I credit Coach O with that success. SLC's success speaks for itself.

JCP1984
04-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Todd Dodge is a great coach, and he has proven that at SLC. But, he did not win state at any of the other schools he coached at, and I bet he barely won as many as he lost at those other schools. He is a great coach, and he is now at a school that has all the ingredients necessary to win state titles. I mean no disrespect, because I know how good he is, but it sure helps being at the right school with the right ingredients.

I am sure the coach at Lufkin is awesome, but I do not know him. I do know how talented his teams are, though, and I am impressed with what he's done there.

LP-79
04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Good comments from everybody. My opinion is both coaches are where they need to be. The only difference is Coach Outlaw will stay at Lufkin till he retires. His last stop on the coaching trail. As he has often stated to the whole community. Coach Dodge may very well get a College offer he can not turn down, I see burnt orange in his future! Hopefully soon. I stopped by Lufkin's practice today for just a few minutes. Can I say...BIG & FAST

YouKnowTha3T
04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
The only reason that i asked this question is that not just Coach Dodge..but his entire staff...They preach disipline, heart, dedication, and hard work to get to the top not just rely on your more athletic ability. Now im not trying to be racist or anything but if you took someone who knew nothing about football and asked him who the number one team in the nation was while SLC and LP were warming up..who do you think his finger would have pointed to..deff not SLC. I just think that with even more talent do you think dodge could have pulled those two 33-30 losses for lufkin into wins for them.

LP-79
04-28-2005, 09:42 PM
I am white. I will even state the obvious. WE DO NOT WANT TO MAKE THIS A RACEIST ISSUE. That said I would agree with you on which team would be picked. Don't think it would have mattered who coached which team. IMHO the difference in that game game was the same as it was in the state title game the next week...LUNA!!

stumpman8
04-28-2005, 10:10 PM
i would not trade coach outlaw for the world. the guy has done nothing but win since he has been here. lufkin could very easily have won 3 championships in 4 years if they could had a few breaks vs one of the best teams in the nation. that is why i think lufkin is easily one of the best teams in the nation. i know coach dodge is a great great coach but i would still not trade outlaw and i bet slc feels the same way about dodge.
agreed outlaw is the best in my opinion

stumpman8
04-28-2005, 10:13 PM
The only reason that i asked this question is that not just Coach Dodge..but his entire staff...They preach disipline, heart, dedication, and hard work to get to the top not just rely on your more athletic ability. Now im not trying to be racist or anything but if you took someone who knew nothing about football and asked him who the number one team in the nation was while SLC and LP were warming up..who do you think his finger would have pointed to..deff not SLC. I just think that with even more talent do you think dodge could have pulled those two 33-30 losses for lufkin into wins for them.
you dont think the lufkin staff presents dedication????? I have been in the coaches office at 11pm on thursday nights before the nac game and seen these coaches still going over tape when everyone knows they will blow nac out. I think you are spoiled with lufkin's success lately, we win a little bit and now you want a state ring everyyear. Be happy with what you got, Outlaw is wonderful. OH BTW Even todd dodge cant win state every year look at what katy did to them 2 years ago

Dds115
04-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Hey man, cool down, no one was attacking Lufkin or Outlaw. I think that both coaches have found where they should be, and know what to do with the boys they get. Good luck Lufkin, see ya next year?

YouKnowTha3T
04-29-2005, 01:33 AM
You think im getting spoiled by the amount Lufkin wins? Ive won my fair share of games against lufkin in the past three years let alone overall games. I was not talkin about dedication of the coaches i was talkin about the dedication the coaches get out of hte athletes...Any team that is succesful is goin to have dedicated coaches.

pack0808
04-29-2005, 09:07 AM
You think im getting spoiled by the amount Lufkin wins? Ive won my fair share of games against lufkin in the past three years let alone overall games. I was not talkin about dedication of the coaches i was talkin about the dedication the coaches get out of hte athletes...Any team that is succesful is goin to have dedicated coaches.

youhave won your fair share of games vs lufkin in the last 3 years??? the only team that has won a decent share of games vs lufkin in the last 3 years is slc and that is 2. coach outlaw is an excellent coach and he has his kids very well prepared. the guy turned lufkin into a state and national power in hs football.

dragonfootballfan
04-29-2005, 09:44 AM

the staff at southlake has been shook up so much in the past 3 years that it doesn't matter. There are like 3 assistant coaches that were with the team in 2002 so I really don't think that this point matters at all.

LoneStarProud
04-29-2005, 01:19 PM

The above question can never be answered. Interesting for some to ponder
maybe but certainly not worth a debate. Coach Dodge is a great leader and
motivator. He has done what he has done with a cast of able support and a little bit of good fortune. Coach Outlaw is no less. Both programs are top
notch and I know LP players and fans alike are proud of Outlaws record.

Xfballphenome05
04-29-2005, 04:56 PM
i think coach Outlaw is the best coach for Lufkin and dodge is the best coach for slc,just because of how well the players that these schools produce fit in to the system both coaches run.im sure ether coach would do well if they switched,but not as good off as they were.