PDA

View Full Version : The Most Overrated Heisman Candidates And Winners Of All Time?

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Name the Most Overrated Heisman Trophy Candidates And Winners Of All-Time? And why?

GTown02
09-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Eric Crouch(sp?) from Nebraska...

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 06:00 PM
In 1992 Gino Toretta won the Heisman over Marshall Faulk...wow!
And again in 1993 Charlie Ward won it while Faulk received only 7 votes...double wow...

In '89 Emmitt Smith finished 7th behind this list of NFL greats:
Andre Ware
Anthony Thompson
Major Harris
Tony Rice
Darian Hagan
Dee Dowis

huh????

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
And again in 1993 Charlie Ward won it while Faulk received only 7 votes...double wow...

Yeah, that was messed up.

My boy Jason White beat out Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Williams and Larry Fitzgerald in 2003....whoa!

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 06:08 PM
I wish some true meaning could somehow be brought back to the Heisman...but it's doubtful. The list of Heisman winners and candidates
is littered with "who the hell is" that's...

mad_fan
09-14-2005, 06:09 PM

Andre Ware
Anthony Thompson
Major Harris
Tony Rice
Darian Hagan
Dee Dowis

huh????

man, i want to order a tee shirt NOW! :D

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I still don't get Danny Wuerffel over...

Jake Plummer
Orlando Pace
Warrick Dunn
and
uhhhhhh........some junior QB named Peyton Manning!

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 06:21 PM
man, i want to order a tee shirt NOW! :D

e-mail ktchamp97...he will hook you up.

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 06:23 PM
How about Chris Weinke over

Ladanian Tomlinson
Drew Brees
and some guy named Mike Vick...huh???????

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I won't say he was extremely overrated, but I never saw him as a "great" player...then or now.

But, come on, look at who Ron Dayne beat out...

Drew Brees
Shaun Alexander
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington
Lavar Arrington

Now that's scary! But at the time Dayne was a 270 pound, 5'1 (heh, heh!) RB that, I guess won over the hearts of the voters.

It's so weird, just like the greatest bust in the history of sports - Ryan Leaf, I told myself at the time, Ron Dayne will not be successful at the NFL level. But then again Archie Griffin was horrendous at the Pro level, too.

But still....look at who he beat out!!!!

Badges....we don't need no sticking badgeees! - Mexican Bandit, Blazing Saddles

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 06:36 PM
The award does not...in any way...guarantee NFL success.
It's been proven time and time again.
How many HOF's or future HOF's are on the Heisman list?...
Let's look and see shall we?

wow...not many. Like a very small percentage...

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Herschel Walker, was not overrated! Everyone who saw him in college believed he was going to be the greatest athlete to play football.

But look who was in his class/Heisman race...warning - you may experience excruciating pains in your abdominal area....

John Elway Sr
Eric Dickerson Sr
Anthony Carter Sr
Dan Marino Sr
Mike Rozier Jr

....all in 1982!! Wowwwwww!!!!!!

GTown02
09-14-2005, 06:44 PM
The award does not...in any way...guarantee NFL success.
It's been proven time and time again.
How many HOF's or future HOF's are on the Heisman list?...
Let's look and see shall we?

wow...not many. Like a very small percentage...
Case in point.. Eric Crouch... does he still play football?

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 06:45 PM
Herschel Walker, was not overrated! Everyone who saw him in college believed he was going to be the greatest athlete to play football.

But look who was in his class/Heisman race...warning - you may experience excruciating pains in your abdominal area....

John Elway Sr
Eric Dickerson Sr
Anthony Carter Sr
Dan Marino Sr
Mike Rozier Jr

....all in 1982!! Wowwwwww!!!!!!

^^all HOF's....except Herschel!!!! Wow!!! (Well, Mike Rozier probably won't make the HOF! But 4 out of 6 isn't bad!)

FootballJunkie
09-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Andre Ware
Anthony Thompson
Major Harris
Tony Rice
Darian Hagan
Dee Dowis

huh????
Charlie Ward passed for over 3500 yards and 30 touchdowns and won the National Championship. How was he overrated? Considering he was an all-american in Football and Basketball I know you don't think Faulk was a better athlete. How did Marshall Faulk have a better year considering he played for San Diego State. The award does not predict who will do good in the NFL but who had the best year in "college" that particular year and that year only.

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Marshall Faulk isn't a better athlete than a guy who never played a down in the NFL...and has spent most of his NBA career as a 6th man...?
huh?

Not to mention that Ward's career PPG average is 6...which is slightly above my career average of zero.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Charlie Ward passed for over 3500 yards and 30 touchdowns and won the National Championship. How was he overrated? Considering he was an all-american in Football and Basketball I know you don't think Faulk was a better athlete. How did Marshall Faulk have a better year considering he played for San Diego State. The award does not predict who will do good in the NFL but who had the best year in "college" that particular year and that year only.

The hardest thing to swallow was Faulk was only a junior that year....had he come back for his senior year he'd easily beaten out Salaam and Carter for the Heisman.

He'd have Heisman pronounced with his name no matter where he goes.

I guess, in the end though, Faulk will eventually be retired in the NFL Hall of Fame....Ward, Salaam and Carter had very average pro careers. AND YES, I KNOW WARD PLAYED IN THE NBA.....but his career was very average there, as well.

FootballJunkie
09-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Marshall Faulk isn't a better athlete than a guy who never played a down in the NFL...and has spent most of his NBA career as a 6th man...?
huh?
If Marshall Faulk could have been a 2-sport All-American then maybe he would be. The award is for College career not NFL. At the time 1993 no one could have known how either career would go unless you are psychic. Ward had a better year, and did it against far superior competition than Faulk. That is a fact just check the records and who did what against who.

Favpack
09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
How about a list of Heisman winners that have gone to have great pro careers. Few, very few.

Roger Staubach (he won, didn't he?)
O.J. Simpson (yikes)
Tony Dorsett

wide-e-wide
09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Again...he was an All-American football player who never played a down in the NFL...
And an All-American basketball player with a career points per game average of 6pts.........
Stop me when I get to the impressive part.

Now Faulk on the other hand...well we all know what Marshall has done.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
If Marshall Faulk could have been a 2-sport All-American then maybe he would be. The award is for College career not NFL. At the time 1993 no one could have known how either career would go unless you are psychic. Ward had a better year, and did it against far superior competition than Faulk. That is a fact just check the records and who did what against who.

That year Marshall Faulk was phenomenal, Ward had the benefit of the doubt, playing against tougher competition and with a superior team.

As far as competition...

Heath Shuler
Trent Dilfer
David Palmer
J.J. Stokes
Tyrone Wheatley
Eric Zeier

...were good, but not great. Except for Wheatley...I thought he was very good that year. And with the exception of Dilfer, none of that competition is still playing in the league. And Dilfer should of retired after the Ravens defense won him a Super Bowl ring in 2000.

But I agree...it's easy to look at the winners and candidates in hindsight to what they accomplished...or didn't accomplish on the pro level.

It's about whether they were overrated that particular year!!

ThEgReAtOnE
09-14-2005, 07:49 PM
How about a list of Heisman winners that have gone to have great pro careers. Few, very few.

Roger Staubach (he won, didn't he?)
O.J. Simpson (yikes)
Tony Dorsett

Doug Flutie
Tim Brown
Marcus Allen
Earl Campbell
Jim Plunkett

Oh and think about this....Jim Brown finished 5th in the Heisman race in '56!!! Can you believe that? He never won!!!

WOW!!!

FootballJunkie
09-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Again...he was an All-American football player who never played a down in the NFL...
And an All-American basketball player with a career points per game average of 6pts.........
Stop me when I get to the impressive part.

Now Faulk on the other hand...well we all know what Marshall has done.
Like I said it is a COLLEGE award. What did he do in College is the point. It is not a hindsight award if that were the case you could take back more than half the Heisman Trophy award for those that did not have great NFL success but Ward was a great "College" athlete and if you can be a 2 sport all-american at the D-1 level then that in itself proves you are a good athlete. 3500+ yards passing and 30+ TD passes plus 500+ yards rushing enroute to a National Championship qualifies you for the heisman in 1993 anyway. Faulk had a great year but side by side it was a lot easier running playing for San Diego St. in the WAC than in any of the major conferences.

dada
09-15-2005, 08:01 AM

Andre Ware
Anthony Thompson
Major Harris
Tony Rice
Darian Hagan
Dee Dowis

huh????
Did Dowis win a heisman?(Nevermind...re-read the post)

Tut
09-15-2005, 08:19 AM
I think that the Heisman is overated. It starts with a preseason list of candidates and lobbying. It's like an election. If you don't have the hype, you don't have a chance! And this is before a down has been played.
Of course this is NCAA Div. 1 where polls and computers have a say in deciding the national championship.

P.S. - Wides tee shirt is overpriced.

dada
09-15-2005, 08:33 AM
IN MY OPINION....the last LEGIT Heisman winner was Barry Sanders.(Thurman Thomas and Sanders in the same backfield..)
Andre Ware....BUST
Gino Torretta...BUST
Rashann Salaam...Bienemy was the best CU RB I've seen
Danny Wuerffel
Ron Dayne
Eric Crouch
Jason White.

Some of the best college players I've seen(with my own eyes)

Trevor Cobb (Rice)
Troy Davis(Iowa st....Didnt he put up back to back 2000 yd seasons?)
Tony Sands (Kansas)
Chuck Weatherspoon(Houston)
Amp Lee(Florida State)
Horace Copeland (Miami)
Manny Hazzard(Houston)
Tavian Banks (Iowa)

I THINK any of those guys could have been heisman winners

RANDY MOSS Too.

goscots
09-15-2005, 09:23 AM
Who was the RB mentioned the same time as Faulk back when he was in college- I remember there was one other guy they always mentioned, like they were the same back, I forget who though.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-15-2005, 09:25 AM
IN MY OPINION....the last LEGIT Heisman winner was Barry Sanders.(Thurman Thomas and Sanders in the same backfield..)
Andre Ware....BUST
Gino Torretta...BUST
Rashann Salaam...Bienemy was the best CU RB I've seen
Danny Wuerffel
Ron Dayne
Eric Crouch
Jason White.

Some of the best college players I've seen(with my own eyes)

Trevor Cobb (Rice)
Troy Davis(Iowa st....Didnt he put up back to back 2000 yd seasons?)
Tony Sands (Kansas)
Chuck Weatherspoon(Houston)
Amp Lee(Florida State)
Horace Copeland (Miami)
Manny Hazzard(Houston)
Tavian Banks (Iowa)

I THINK any of those guys could have been heisman winners

RANDY MOSS Too.

Have to agree!! I think Warren Sapp could have been the first d-lineman to win the trophy in a long time. He was beyond unstoppable in college. Wow!!

That 94' trophy should have been Sapp's!! (Instead of Salaam or Carter or Collins)

dada
09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Have to agree!! I think Warren Sapp could have been the first d-lineman to win the trophy in a long time. He was beyond unstoppable in college. Wow!!

That 94' trophy should have been Sapp's!! (Instead of Salaam or Carter or Collins)
Wasnt "THE ROCK" on that team with Sapp too? Dewayne Johnson.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Wasnt "THE ROCK" on that team with Sapp too? Dewayne Johnson.

Yeah! He was injured throughout most of his collegiate career and ended up playing a half of season in the CFL. At the end of it all he ended up moving back in with his girlfriend/would-be-wife...with only 7 bucks in his pocket.

Today he's a household name/superstar and multi-millionaire!!!!

But Sapp, by far, was the best defensive player on the team. (Even with Ray Lewis on the same squad.)

dada
09-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Yeah! He was injured throughout most of his collegiate career and ended up playing a half of season in the CFL. At the end of it all he ended up moving back in with his girlfriend/would-be-wife...with only 7 bucks in his pocket.

Today he's a household name/superstar and multi-millionaire!!!!

But Sapp, by far, was the best defensive player on the team. (Even with Ray Lewis on the same squad.)
That's right...Lewis was on that team...that wasnt the team that embarresed Texas in the Cotton bowl was it....They year after is when the NCAA came out with the "Miami" Rules.....all the unsportman like conducts, personel fouls, excessice celebration penalties etc.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-15-2005, 01:14 PM
That's right...Lewis was on that team...that wasnt the team that embarresed Texas in the Cotton bowl was it....They year after is when the NCAA came out with the "Miami" Rules.....all the unsportman like conducts, personel fouls, excessice celebration penalties etc.

I think you're talking about the year when Miami bi***-slapped Texas in the Cotton Bowl. I will say that was 1991....the score was 46-3. Craig Erickson was QB and Russell Maryland was the defensive superstar with 3 sacks...all in all Miami recorded a Cotton Bowl record 9 sacks that game. Star Michael Barrow was a sophmore and Warren Sapp was a redshirt freshman/tight end.

Oh and an ex-Carter Cowboy was a standout superstar linebacker.....his name was Jessie Armstead. (1988 Carter Cowboys)[wink]

dada
09-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Ahhhhhh The memories...And do think...I HATED UT back then. Well I liked Eric Metcalf....thats about it. I wore his number and my bestfriend wore Dee Dowis'......what ever happened to Butch Hadnot?

ThEgReAtOnE
09-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Ahhhhhh The memories...And do think...I HATED UT back then. Well I liked Eric Metcalf....thats about it. I wore his number and my bestfriend wore Dee Dowis'......what ever happened to Butch Hadnot?

Last I heard Butch was playing indoor football with ex-Longhorn QB James Brown...in the Austin league in 1998-2000. I liked Eric Metcalf....he was the modern day Dante Hall when it came to KR/PR. All around great "little" athlete....and boy could he juke.

zippy
09-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Dont forget, the Award is for college career, not what might happen in the NFL. Were they acually overrated in college? Or based on their pro playing time.

dada
09-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Dont forget, the Award is for college career, not what might happen in the NFL. Were they acually overrated in college? Or based on their pro playing time.
Half of the time...they are not EVEN the best players in College. It's more politics....If that was the case...Troy Davis, Chad Pennington, Marshall Faulk...Byron Leftwitch....and a few others would be Heisman winners....
It's the Best player in college
Who is in a BIG conference
Who Brings in BIG TV revenues
That WINS games
Etc...etc.....

TheDuke
09-15-2005, 02:48 PM
How about Colorado's

Rashan Salaam

Rushed for over 2K in two seasons then won the Heisman then..........????

zippy
09-15-2005, 02:52 PM
There you go. Thats what im talking about. I CANT STAND politics in college football. If you were to break it down this way (not using NFL stats) you will see a lot of this going on, and it is total B.S. How nice would college football be if this award was given to the best player, and the champ was determined by playoffs? Dreams, Dreams..

Half of the time...they are not EVEN the best players in College. It's more politics....If that was the case...Troy Davis, Chad Pennington, Marshall Faulk...Byron Leftwitch....and a few others would be Heisman winners....
It's the Best player in college
Who is in a BIG conference
Who Brings in BIG TV revenues
That WINS games
Etc...etc.....

FootballJunkie
09-15-2005, 02:58 PM
There you go. Thats what im talking about. I CANT STAND politics in college football. If you were to break it down this way (not using NFL stats) you will see a lot of this going on, and it is total B.S. How nice would college football be if this award was given to the best player, and the champ was determined by playoffs? Dreams, Dreams..
As long as you have people voting for their heisman choice it will always be subjective. Pollsters for the heisman will do the same thing they do for rankings and that is let their personal feelings about a team or player get in the way of the facts. No way around the voting for heisman but a playoff system like they have in D-1AA would be great for national championship.

dada
09-15-2005, 03:02 PM
As long as you have people voting for their heisman choice it will always be subjective. Pollsters for the heisman will do the same thing they do for rankings and that is let their personal feelings about a team or player get in the way of the facts. No way around the voting for heisman but a playoff system like they have in D-1AA would be great for national championship.
Television plays a big part 2....Teams on the west coast are playing while the "Voters" are sleep.....since the big TV boom...I can only remember 2 winners from the westcoast...Leinhart last year...and Detmer in 1990....did I miss one? Like I said....After Barry Sanders...it became a popularity contest.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Television plays a big part 2....Teams on the west coast are playing while the "Voters" are sleep.....since the big TV boom...I can only remember 2 winners from the westcoast...Leinhart last year...and Detmer in 1990....did I miss one? Like I said....After Barry Sanders...it became a popularity contest.

I think, without a doubt, Ricky Williams was the best college football player in 1998. McNabb, Culpepper and Bailey were good that year, but everyone knew of Ricky from the past two years, at Texas, and they were gunning for him in the Big XII...and this was at a time when Nebraska, Texas A&M, Kansas State, Missouri, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Iowa State had some pretty good programs. Especially Nebraska!!!

And regardless of how much we want to hate Andre Ware, the season he won the trophy he was unbelievable. Out of this world....especially for an african american "PASSING" QB. I think he had over 7000 passing yards that year, alone. OMG!!!

The year Warren Sapp finished 6th in the heisman running he was easily the most electrifying player in the country. (Even at D-Tackle) And even with Salaam, Ki-jana, Kerry Collins and Steve McNair in the running. They were good, but Warren was a beast!! I remember when they timed him at 296 running a 4.68 40 yard dash. He was out of this world.

dada
09-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Who was the only player to win the Heisman, National Championship and Super Bowl?

FootballJunkie
09-15-2005, 04:40 PM
Who was the only player to win the Heisman, National Championship and Super Bowl?
I don't know if he was the only one but Tony Dorsett won Heisman and National Championship with PITT in 1976 and won couple of super bowls with Cowboys enroute to Hall of Fame.

dada
09-16-2005, 08:29 AM
I don't know if he was the only one but Tony Dorsett won Heisman and National Championship with PITT in 1976 and won couple of super bowls with Cowboys enroute to Hall of Fame.
Yep....he was the only one

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Actually Dorsett only won 1 Super Bowl with the Cowboys.
He played in 2.

TheDuke
09-16-2005, 10:52 AM
Yep....he was the only one

What about Herschel Walker?

dada
09-16-2005, 10:54 AM
What about Herschel Walker?
I think he's missing one out of the 3.....

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Hershel never won a Super Bowl.
He re-joined the Cowboys the year after
they won Super Bowl XXX.
That was sad...I wanted Hershel to get one before
he retired. He played for the league minimum his
last year in Dallas..he just wanted a ring.

dada
09-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Hershel never won a Super Bowl.
He re-joined the Cowboys the year after
they won Super Bowl XXX.
That was sad...I wanted Hershel to get one before
he retired. He played for the league minimum his
last year in Dallas..he just wanted a ring.
Didnt he win the Heisman in 82? Nebraska won the title that year...Georgia won a few years before that I think. Was Walker on that team?

TheDuke
09-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Gotcha! Couldn't remember?

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
82...82...ummm...trying to remember
Seems like Georgia played Texas in the Cotton Bowl that year...and won.
In a low scoring game...like 10-8 something like that.
I'll have to research it.

dada
09-16-2005, 11:42 AM
82...82...ummm...trying to remember
Seems like Georgia played Texas in the Cotton Bowl that year...and won.
In a low scoring game...like 10-8 something like that.
I'll have to research it.
I think Nebraska won in in 82...the year Hershel won the Heisman.

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I was wrong...Georgia beat Texas in 1983 Cotton Bowl 10-9...
pretty close for 22 years ago.

dada
09-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I was wrong...Georgia beat Texas in 1983 Cotton Bowl 10-9...
pretty close for 22 years ago.
First the color of the Fiero...now your score is off by one point....You're slipping Wide.

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 11:59 AM
It's all there...sometimes there is just a small glitch.
Kinda like that show "Quantum Leap" I just gotta hit
my dome every now and then...get it all organized.

implacable44
09-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I dont think Charlie Ward was an All American in basketball in college.

Texasfrog
09-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Gino Toretta (Miami).. he would of been a nobody on any other college team but because he had tons of talent around him it made him look great.

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey dada...Penn St. won it in 1982...Georgia won it in 1980.

TheDuke
09-16-2005, 01:14 PM
What year did Vinny throw the INT against Penn State to lose the game? 1986?

dada
09-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Hey dada...Penn St. won it in 1982...Georgia won it in 1980.
Cool.....Walker won the Heisman in 82...right?

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 01:53 PM
correct...he won it as a Junior in '82...which means he was
a freshman in 1980 when they won the title...so he won
a national championship...and the Heisman...but no Super Bowl

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 01:55 PM
And Duke that was the '86 Fiesta Bowl when Vinny threw the
interception against Penn St. and Miami lost. But Vinny won the
Heisman that year.

TheDuke
09-16-2005, 02:18 PM
And Duke that was the '86 Fiesta Bowl when Vinny threw the
interception against Penn St. and Miami lost. But Vinny won the
Heisman that year.

Thought So!! Thanks Wide

FootballJunkie
09-16-2005, 02:21 PM
What year did Vinny throw the INT against Penn State to lose the game? 1986?
1986 Fiesta Bowl, Shane Conlin intercepted him for Penn State. Yea they got off the plane in Phoenix wearing the army fatigues that year.

sltnusmc
09-16-2005, 09:10 PM
I have to say Gino Toretta! That one still confuses me.

wide-e-wide
09-16-2005, 09:15 PM
And he beat out...

Marshall Faulk
Drew Bledsoe
and Garrison Hearst

dada
10-11-2005, 02:03 PM
Name the Most Overrated Heisman Trophy Candidates And Winners Of All-Time? And why?
Ted Ginn Jr.......

ThEgReAtOnE
10-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Ted Ginn Jr.......

Heck ya.....I second that!

dada
10-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Heck ya.....I second that!
I mean WHAT was all the hype about?????

ThEgReAtOnE
10-11-2005, 04:41 PM
I mean WHAT was all the hype about?????

The dude looks like crap! Very timid! Hasn't shown me a thing!!!

Tell you what though,.....I like the freshman for Penn State!! Don't count Penn State out of the National Championship, especially if....

USC loses to ND, LIKE THEY WILL!!
Miami beats Virginia Tech
Miami plays Florida State for the ACC title and beats FSU.
Georgia loses to Florida
Alabama is upset by Auburn
Florida then beats Auburn in the SEC Title Game
USC beats UCLA at the end of the year.
Texas wins out....
Penn State wins out....

2006 National Championship @ Rose Bowl...
Texas Longhorns (11-0) vs Penn State Nittany Lions (11-0)

Both head coaches (Mack and Joe Pop) were written off last year, and years before that, as being too passive, too soft and washed up!!!

Gotta love it!! :D

FootballJunkie
10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
The dude looks like crap! Very timid! Hasn't shown me a thing!!!

Tell you what though,.....I like the freshman for Penn State!! Don't count Penn State out of the National Championship, especially if....

USC loses to ND, LIKE THEY WILL!!
Miami beats Virginia Tech
Miami plays Florida State for the ACC title and beats FSU.
Georgia loses to Florida
Alabama is upset by Auburn
Florida then beats Auburn in the SEC Title Game
USC beats UCLA at the end of the year.
Texas wins out....
Penn State wins out....

2006 National Championship @ Rose Bowl...
Texas Longhorns (11-0) vs Penn State Nittany Lions (11-0)

Both head coaches (Mack and Joe Pop) were written off last year, and years before that, as being too passive, too soft and washed up!!!

Gotta love it!! :D

That's alot of if's don't you think?? How about letting Penn St. beat Michigan first.

ThEgReAtOnE
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM
That's alot of if's don't you think?? How about letting Penn St. beat Michigan first.

LOL!! Ya....I figured Penn State would have to do that, first!!

TheProphet
10-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Isnt it kind of important to note though, that the Heisman is not an award giving to college footballs most outstanding player...I mean I am young, yes, but I have never seen a more dominating defender than Derrick Johnson...and this year...you are to tell me that Brady Quinn is better at his position than Elvis Dumervil. I recently became aware of the fact Dumervil has already forced SEVEN fumbles and is averaging 2.8 sacks a game....Honestly, I give the Maxwell and Bednarik awards more credit than I do the Heisman...seems like they are based on merit, not hype... P.S. how do two running backs go to New York over the Doak Walker award winner?....yikes Heisman