PDA

View Full Version : This proponent of Public Schools

pied
03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
jsut got word that our daughter got into the Private School we wanted.

Long story and I think it is too early to start thinking about switching my privates schools in the UIL, but I am excited!!!

farmerfan
03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
jsut got word that our daughter got into the Private School we wanted.

Long story and I think it is too early to start thinking about switching my privates schools in the UIL, but I am excited!!!

if you dont mind me asking, what private school?
I went to Liberty Christian.

slorch
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
either way, it still comes down to parents. Otherwise it's G-I-G-O
(Garbage In-Garbage Out)

pied
03-12-2007, 11:15 AM
farmerfan. it is a very very small school in FM. Right now they go to 7th and are will probably go higher. We are not certain if we will keep her in that long or not, so the UIL implicataions are truly moot at this point, just kind of throwing that in.

We looked high and low to figure out what to do w/her. We weren't certain whether we woould go public or private. Mrs. pied was a teacher and her mother was a teacher in the LISD for 25 years. Both of us were very active in extra-curricular activities that would be at best different in even the larger public schools.

For the record, we applied to two other schools, Hockaday and Greenhill. Both great schools, but we fell in love with the one we are sending her to. We got TD by Hockaday and got into Greenhill.

Slorch, you are correct to an extent. The school we chose is a MUCH MUCH different environment than any we encountered.

pied
03-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I want to add, that I see the privates competing with the publics in the very near future. I thnk it is only a matter of time, where the break between the two in the UIL isa memory. There is SOOOO much demand for proivate schools in southern Denton and norhern Dallas/Tarrant it is mind boggling.

I predict Liberty Christian that farmer brought up will be a power fairly soon. They have a great campus, facilities, and an eager well funded population.

DrEdward
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
I want to add, that I see the privates competing with the publics in the very near future. I thnk it is only a matter of time, where the break between the two in the UIL isa memory. There is SOOOO much demand for proivate schools in southern Denton and norhern Dallas/Tarrant it is mind boggling.

I predict Liberty Christian that farmer brought up will be a power fairly soon. They have a great campus, facilities, and an eager well funded population.

Interesting. Do the private schools then become subject to Robin Hood obligations? Not a slam or dig at the private schools at all. Just a question that your well-funded observation brought about.

pied
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Interesting. Do the private schools then become subject to Robin Hood obligations? Not a slam or dig at the private schools at all. Just a question that your well-funded observation brought about.

My guess only is that "Robin Hood" will be replaced or done away with soon.

Also I believe(could be wrong) that the UIL does not equal Texas state funding. They are independent organizations, although people like me typically view them as being roughly the same.

CoppellCowboy57
03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I went to three Private Schools until my perents decieded to give up on a private education.

1. Lexington Acd - school closed down
2. The June Shelton School- Got thrown out after two years
3. TCA Addison - got thrown out again after a few weeks. :)

ended up in wonderful Coppell from 6 grade +

pied
03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
I went to three Private Schools until my perents decieded to give up on a private education.

I guess the public and private institutions failed(just kidding).

CoppellCowboy57
03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey I obviously didnt care I got kicked outta 2 of the 4 diffrent schools i went to. And Obviously im doing somthing that doesnt envolve much education.

"Lonsdale, go there and shoot"

"Aye Sgt"

easy as that

DrEdward
03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
My guess only is that "Robin Hood" will be replaced or done away with soon.

Also I believe(could be wrong) that the UIL does not equal Texas state funding. They are independent organizations, although people like me typically view them as being roughly the same.

You are correct, the UIL does not equate to TEA or state funding in any sense. I just thought it was an interesting issue in the funding of private vs public schools in the current context. But I see no plans in either the short run or longer run to do away with Robin Hood. The burden will still be placed on the relatively small handful of school districts to fund many other districts. Obviously, this mechanism can impact the funding of athletic teams and other extra-curricular activities.

pied
03-13-2007, 08:33 AM
You are correct, the UIL does not equate to TEA or state funding in any sense. I just thought it was an interesting issue in the funding of private vs public schools in the current context. But I see no plans in either the short run or longer run to do away with Robin Hood. The burden will still be placed on the relatively small handful of school districts to fund many other districts. Obviously, this mechanism can impact the funding of athletic teams and other extra-curricular activities.

I see a revolt of sorts happening soon. Looking at the districts, "poor" and "rich" both, all have close to the same $$ per pupil. Some are good some not so good. I cannot see the districts paying in continuung to do so without a fight. My guess is, if they have the $$$ to send to Austin for Robin Hood, they will be able to afford some attorneys and maybe more importanly lobbyists to change it. I was not a Poli-Sci major, however.

To me it comes down to the parents as a collective whole. You will always have kids that excel and knuckleheads, no matter the make up of the school. It is the general feeling of the parents and the input they have on the decisions that determine the worth and success of the school. Call it community involvement.

What I am sensing, and have no data other than just what I see, is that many parents are seeing private education as a preferred option to the public schools. It stands to reason in my mind, that if you are paying additional $$$ to send your kid to a school, on average you will be more involved in their education than parents that are not spending that $$$.

Is it the be all end all? I don't think so, I just see it growing very quickly.

I do see HS football in TX changing quite dramatically in the next 10-15 years.

t00 playa
03-13-2007, 09:33 PM
I see a revolt of sorts happening soon. Looking at the districts, "poor" and "rich" both, all have close to the same $$ per pupil. Some are good some not so good. I cannot see the districts paying in continuung to do so without a fight. My guess is, if they have the $$$ to send to Austin for Robin Hood, they will be able to afford some attorneys and maybe more importanly lobbyists to change it. I was not a Poli-Sci major, however.

To me it comes down to the parents as a collective whole. You will always have kids that excel and knuckleheads, no matter the make up of the school. It is the general feeling of the parents and the input they have on the decisions that determine the worth and success of the school. Call it community involvement.

What I am sensing, and have no data other than just what I see, is that many parents are seeing private education as a preferred option to the public schools. It stands to reason in my mind, that if you are paying additional $$$ to send your kid to a school, on average you will be more involved in their education than parents that are not spending that $$$.

Is it the be all end all? I don't think so, I just see it growing very quickly.

I do see HS football in TX changing quite dramatically in the next 10-15 years.

private schools have been around for a long time... so i disagree with the "growing very quickly"..... maybe in your circle yes....but they have been around for a long time and parents have always had an option.. and it has changed the over all numbers very little over the past 30 years......little in the relation to education as a whole... besides.. public is no different than private.. yes ppl may want the smaller concept which is fine...... but as soon as your child walks out that door to the world.. they will be getting a public education anyway...where as the same kids with good knowledgeable parents like you in the public institutions do just as well in life and in the educational background intelligence categories as yours that went to private school. However, you know what the best environment for your child is and its good that you are looking out for your child... many parents dont...:eek:

pied
03-14-2007, 09:58 AM
You bring up some very good points. I do think that much if not most of what kids do is due to their parents involvement or lack thereof.

I know private schools have been around a long time.

What I have not seen was a public that is getting more and more vocal about Robin Hood, crime/drugs in school, and the TAKS. I cn listen to the sports station in town and hear about issues with the TAKS test. Parents and the public seem to be more and more upset with many parts of the system.

Drugs/etc. ave been issues in all schools for a long time. You are now seeing mega churches, Prestonwood/Potters House etc. with affiliated schools now. These schools are growing rapidly.

When you combine that with the entry of the Jesuits into the UIL, I think you are seeing the beginning of a trend. What about the 10% rule fot Texas and a$m?

I could most certainly be wrong, but I see a lot of indicators that are telling me differently.