PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Mascots

Firebird
04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Seeing as we can only debate Lufkin v. Longview so much, here is a thread just for fun. The Vicotria Memorial thread got me thinking about it. I travel and drive a lot around the state, and I always like seeing each town's mascot. There are WAY too many "Bulldogs" but some of them are really original and cool. (Smaller Towns do better). Here are my qualifications for what makes a mascot "cool" or not.

1. Originality (A note here- traditional mascots CAN be cool, but only if they are used by a real old -school team. One that has been around for ages. Waco Lions, Abilene Eagles, Harlingen Cardinals-- they all picked the mascot before they became tired and cliched. It helps to use old-school uni's with these mascots)
2. Close relationship with local culture, history, industry/agriculture, wildlife.
3. Works well with the town name.
4. Bonus points for having the guts to use a flagrantly unintimidating mascot.
5. Interesting adjectives, or use of local colloqualisms or slang.
6. Mascots so bizarre you just say "Why?."

What makes a mascot lame-o? In my book, the following, each with an example.

1. A newer school that exhibits a breathtaking lack of imagination- Welaco East Wildcats
2. Lifiting another school's (or university's) cool mascot and putting it in an inappropriate context- PSJA Memorial Wolverines.
3. Un-original Mythical or imaginary creatures- Unicorns, Dragons, Bearkats
4. Trendy Mascots, especially ones lifted from a Disney Movie- PAM Titans
5. Bandwagon macots. The influx, for instance, of "Patriots" after 9/11. How hard is it to think of an original Patriotic name- Minutemen, Militiamen, Revolutionaries, Colonials-- all are better than "Patriots".

In my nest post I will list some of my all time favorites. The rest of you-- post your own favorites, or feel free to let me know why my criteria for "cool" mascots is wrong. Just keep it friendly.

Firebird
04-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Here are some of my all time favorites. I have left quite a few out, just to see if anyone else gets them.

Port Isabel Tarpons
Progresso Red Ants
Port-Lavaca Calhoun Sand Crabs
Texas City Stingarees
Robstown Cottonpickers
Lewisville Fightin' Farmers
Cuero Gobblers
Freeport-Brazosport Exporters (this one fits a lot of my criteria-- awesome)
Roma/Italy Gladiators
Itasca Wampus Cats
Tom Bean Tom Cats
Hamlin Pied Pipers (Possibly the coolest in the state)
Roscoe Plowboys
Winters Blizzards
Hutto Hippos
Trent Gorillas
Mesquite Skeeters
Amarillo Golden Sandstorm
Amarillo Palo Duro Dons

I also forgot to add another classic "lame-o" type mascot to my list.

The totally unexplainable ethnic or hisorical mascot- Brownsville Pace/ Bryan Vikings, The Woodlands Highlanders.

garland04
04-27-2005, 02:18 PM
4. Bonus points for having the guts to use a flagrantly unintimidating mascot.

If that's a requirement, you should put the Garland Owls at the top of the list! Gig 'em Owls! We'll claw your eye out!

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 02:29 PM
the san saba armadillos also put the fear of a terrible gumming injury in all opponents. dig em dillos has to be the most intimidating cheer. it is done with the overlapped index and long fingers of each hand upraised and performing a digging motion. they have been incredibly successful of late, comminserate with their mascots ferocity.

Firebird
04-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Dragonsdaddy--

Your remark about the Armadillos reminds me of a funny story. My fiance is a foreigner, and I bought her a Texas photo book as a gift. After viewing all of the pictures of native animals-- rattlers, gators, cougars, etc....

She was most afraid of the armadillo. A "horrible, disgusting creature" she called it. She was relived when I told her that they were afraid of humans, and did not often invade homes.

wide-e-wide
04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Cuero Gobblers?
Aww man they are just asking for it...
That ain't even right dude...

Say it 3 times real fast and what does it sound like?
that's just wrong...

ktchamp97
04-27-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry, but I gotta say that the Itasca Wampus Cats have far and away the best mascot. Seriously, that just brilliant!

I work out near Crane, so I just love their mascot...the Crane Golden Cranes...why not?

I also like:
Winters Blizzards
Frost Polar Bears
Mesquite Skeeters
Progreso Red Ants??? that's pretty strong too; I hadn't heard that one

There are so many other great ones, but I'm at work, so I'll find some more later...

Great topic by the way!

NewSherriffInTown
04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Up in NY...We have the Sleepy Hollow High Headless Horsemen....

They pregame up in the woods on a hill behind their field, and march down the hill through the woods with fog and stuff with a guy with a jack o latern on a horse...It's nuts...

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
sounds pretty cool to me.

Firebird
04-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Sleepy Hollow Headless Horsemen-- yep, absolutely on my all-time "cool list". I don't know if it quite beats Hamlin Pied Pipers or Itasca Wampus Cats, though.

Garland Owls-- I agree, an Owl is unintimidating, but at least it is a bird of prey. A Garland Owl, could, for instance, do a real number on an Atlanta Rabbit. :D In order to get the bonus points, the mascot needs to be REALLY unintimidating-- see Port Lavaca Calhoun Sand Crabs, San Saba Armadillos, Fort Worh Polytechnic Parrots.

NewSherriffInTown
04-27-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm trying in vain to think of some other good ones....lets see in my county alone....we have oooo the Indians, Indians, Indians, and some more Indians, wait the Tigers, the Tigers, and more Tigers...A set of Panthers...pretty much your normal boring stuff.

Brooklyn has the Abraham Lincoln Railsplitters, upstate has the Norwich Purple Tornado...

Firebird
04-27-2005, 03:49 PM
And if we want to include out of state mascots as well...

Carlsbad (New Mexico) Cavemen. That is pretty awesome, with Carlsbad Caverns National Park so close.

RGVBadBoy
04-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Sharyland/Navasota/RioGrandeCity Rattlers......I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :D

KT2000
04-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I've always thought Conquistadores was a great mascot...especially if you know the English translation of the word!

Wampus Cats is far and away the best though. It just doesn't get any better than that. I'm one of the few and proud who can say I've at least driven through Itasca. You blink, you miss.

Frost Polar Bears is great considering it's in Texas, lol.

Sharpstown Apollos is my favorite behind Wampus Cats.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 06:54 PM
now anyone who's driven to/thru fw from the south has been thru itasca. there's a sweet little cafe just south of downtown on the main drag, or what passes for one that serves some great catfish on fridays and a good omelet too.

farmerfan
04-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Itasca, isn't that the firs town you come to on 35W,once emerging off of 35? I have seen the lights and the DQ, but never a football game or a sign of a mascott, from what i have read, that is the best name for a mascott in this state.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 07:27 PM
it is half way between hillsboro and grandview, the home of the zebras. you need to get off there at the dq and go west to get downtown.

GTown02
04-27-2005, 07:34 PM
How bout' those Forney Jackrabbits!

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 07:38 PM
they had one that could run with the rabbits a few years ago.

ktCarl
04-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Cuero Gobblers?
Aww man they are just asking for it...
That ain't even right dude...

Say it 3 times real fast and what does it sound like?
that's just wrong...

Senor Wide!!! That's bad! I admit I tried saying it and my wife told me to shut up.

I like 'Highlanders'. Most of my family is from the British Isles. It's a cool name. We happen to play them at Reliant for our season opener.

NMHS fan
04-27-2005, 08:20 PM
they had one that could run with the rabbits a few years ago.

Yes they did...

I like those redundant names like:

Muleshoe Mules
Deer Park Deer

:D

Hate the Skeeters... It's a crosstown rivals thing. :) I guess they're all right except for one week of the year.

wide-e-wide
04-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Senor Wide!!! That's bad! I admit I tried saying it and my wife told me to shut up.

I like 'Highlanders'. Most of my family is from the British Isles. It's a cool name. We happen to play them at Reliant for our season opener.

I can't help it, that's just how my brain works. I told my wife too...and she said "your horrible"...hey I didn't give 'em that name. Surely someone thought that when they were coming up with names. I was just reading the nicknames and thinking....If I was in HS and they were our rival...what would we call them?...Cuero Gobblers took about 2 seconds...Port Isabel Tarpons too...

All the Lufkin guys might remember when we played John Tyler people would show up at the games with plungers...and all night it was "FLUSH THAT JOHN!...FLUSH THAT JOHN!" Legend has it LP put a port-a-potty on their practice field one year...don't know if that really happened.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 09:07 PM
on the other hand, the jt fight song, big bad john, was devastatingly accdurate when the tyler rose was playing. that song used to send chills down any one who played against him or saw him destroy your favorite team.

GoOwls
04-27-2005, 09:07 PM
I like Itasca Wampus Cats best also, partially because me Grandma always used to say Wampus Cat and Wampus Kitty when referring to something that might be killing the chickens. I actually went to an Itasca/Maypearl game to get me a cap.

My second choice hasn't been mentioned yet and that's the Rotan Yellowhammers. We took a small detour one day and went there and it's a wonderful little town that lives and dies HS football. They GAVE me some nice stuff, including a 2'X3' flag. If you don't know, a Yellowhammer is a woodpecker, a "flicker" to be exact. Another funny thing, the team color is Celina Orange, not yellow.

Garland was at one time in the 20's known as the Garland Night Owls, due to their propensity to head for Dallas and get drunk and party on the weekends after the game. The principal, thinking it not really proper, shortened it to Owls. Through the 60's they were also known as The Black Knights of Garland, an old reference to the 20's group. Due to integration, the reference was slowly dropped from speech and is rarely heard now.

In Arkansas, there is a town named Ozark. The team name is the Ozark Hillbillys. We stopped at the Wal-Mart to find a shirt or hat and I found both. The mascot is an old looking stereotypical hillbilly running left to right, with the broad, pointed straw hat, wearing cut-off overalls, threadbare and frayed at the bottom, no shoes or shirt, with a football under his arm. Hilarious.

As if you can't tell, I'm a champion of the odd team name.

Chief Wahoo
04-27-2005, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=GoOwls4X56636499]My second choice hasn't been mentioned yet and that's the Rotan Yellowhammers. We took a small detour one day and went there and it's a wonderful little town that lives and dies HS football./QUOTE]

And just down the road from there is Rosoce- another town that shuts down on Friday nights to go watch their Roscoe Plowboys. At least it is original. :)

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 09:38 PM
ask farmerfan what lville was nicknamed in the 20s and 30s. they beat roscoe to the punch on that one i do believe.

cougardude
04-27-2005, 09:51 PM
ask farmerfan what lville was nicknamed in the 20s and 30s. they beat roscoe to the punch on that one i do believe.

You don't think Roscoe was around in the 20's or 30's?

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
you may be right. i think of texas growing from east to west, so lville is older than roscoe by 30 years or so, but school names maybe didn't exist that early. some historian can prolly tell us.

Firebird
04-27-2005, 10:36 PM
I was waiting for someone to mention the Rotan Yellowhammers, and the Sharpstown Apollos, and the Conquistadores.

A few more classics:

Munday (pronounced Mun-DEE) Moguls
Coleman Bluecats (A Bluecat is a type of catfish)
Laredo Cigarroa Toras
Mason Punchers (much more original than "Cowboys')
SA Roosevelt Roughriders (Great historical mascot)
Springtown Porcupines

Keep Your favorites coming...

LPMOM
04-28-2005, 12:36 AM
1) originality
3) works with town name
4) bonus points for having guts
6) bizarre, makes you just say "Why"

KILLEEN KANGAROOS

Roo Pride Is Justified!!!

Chief Wahoo
04-28-2005, 06:30 AM
you may be right. i think of texas growing from east to west, so lville is older than roscoe by 30 years or so, but school names maybe didn't exist that early. some historian can prolly tell us.

As a native West Texan, my money is on Roscoe for being first. Many of these small rural towns were there before the larger towns ever existed. A good example of that is Buffalo Gap. The Gap was around BEFORE Abilene ever existed. It hasn't ever been a very large community but they have been around longer. Not as to when Roscoe took on the mascot name.. that's another story.

TexasHSFootball
04-28-2005, 08:30 AM
one of my favorites has been the Randolph Ro-Hawks which is next to Converse Judson in the San Antonio area. The Irony of the program is that Judson and Randolph, who sit side by side, are neck and neck in all-time winningest state and national football prgrams.

Someone the other day told me that an announcer doing a contest explained that the Ro-Hawk is a hawk on a rocket, which isn't to my knowledge. From what I understood from someone else, it is an air force term for a fighter plane. I could be wrong though.

Cant forget about the FW Polytechnic Parrots though! Or the Winters Blizzard! :p

AHS Mustangs
04-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Galveston Ball Tors is another cool sounding mascot. I think if you use a natural disaster, or something that can cause one, as your mascot that is pretty cool. Like Hightower Hurricanes or Ball.

RedRage00
04-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I think the Vipers are cool :cool:

KT2000
04-28-2005, 10:11 AM
I like the Ball High battle cry...

"Woe to those who confront the Tornado."

CCDawgs05
04-28-2005, 10:20 AM
if anyone has heard of the fredricksburg billies i think its unique....

dragonsdaddy
04-28-2005, 10:26 AM
that's battlin billies, and their mascot looks exactly like the old goat on the label of the discontinued lone star bock beer.

Thor
04-28-2005, 11:02 AM
1) originality
3) works with town name
4) bonus points for having guts
6) bizarre, makes you just say "Why"

KILLEEN KANGAROOS

Roo Pride Is Justified!!!
There is also the Weatherford Kangaroos

Firebird
04-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Falfurrias Fightin' Jersey Bulls---

Much better than a generic "Bulls" or "Longhorns", since the local industry is dairy.

CoppellCowboy57
04-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Names that team just sorta raise there eye 2...

Grand Praire Gophers...Gophers? sirously I could go out side a shoot one with a pellet gun

Lewisville Fighting Farmers (since when did farmers fight?)

Masquite Skeeters... Whats a skeeter

Burlison Elks...Elks, wow...HAHA i remember playing the Elks at Elk Stadium (hahaha) and when they scored a touch down on us, they played a sound like an Elk and it made me laugh hahaha
___

Shared Names...Over Used Name.

Duncanville/Colleyville Panthers.

Euless Trinty/Trinty Christain Addison/Trinty Christion Ft.Worth Trojans.

Coppell/Dallas Carter- Cowboys

Mustangs (there are to meny to name but yeah)

Anything with cats ( i know i already said Panthers but i mean sirously, Lions, Panthers)

NewSherriffInTown
04-28-2005, 03:11 PM
Some national ones...

Ridgefield, Spudders WA
Watersmeet, Nimrods MI
Poca, Dots WV
Yuma, Criminals AZ
Dunn, Earwigs CA
West Plains, Zizzers MO
Centralia, Orphans IL
Tarpon Springs, Spongers FL
Madeira, Snails VA
Explorations, Screaming Penguins WA
Alamosa, Mean Moose CO
Fuchs Mizrachi, Mayhem OH
Mount Clemens, Battling Bathers MI
Springtown, Fighting Porcupines TX

How about the unintimidating...almost laughable

Blooming Prairie, Awesome Blossoms MN
Lincoln, Alices IN
Hockaday, Daisies TX
St. Hubert, Bambies PA
Fort Collins, Lambkins CO
Benson, Bunnies NE
Hickman, Kewpies MO
Harpeth Hall, Honey Bears TN

A classic...

Punxsutawney, Groundhogs PA

How about no originality

Warrensburg, Burgers NY
New Trier Township, Trevians IL
Aliquippa, Quips PA
Zion-Benton Township, Fighting Zee Bees IL
Smithville, Smithies OH
Hillsboro, Burros ND

I like this one the best...

Abington, Galloping Ghosts (PA)

dada
04-28-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.realmascots.com/browseproducts/Criminals---Yuma--Arizona.HTML

Fighting cocks?
Fighting Midgets?
Koncrete Kids?

It gets worse

Lakelover
04-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Here are two mascots that will flat out put the fear of god in you...

How 'bout the Hastings Spudsters. I grew up in North Florida and yep, they grew a lot of potatoes around those parts...and the local team name that just leaves me saying "is that the best they could come up with" is the Deer Park Deer. :confused:

Here's a pretty good one, the Dreadnaughts. I was driving around central Fla. one day and saw a huge sign of an animated WWI battleship painted on the side of a football stadium with the mascot name underneath. I can't remember the name of the town but I thought the mascot was awesome.

Lakelover
04-28-2005, 07:48 PM
There is also the Weatherford Kangaroos

Louisiana has the Kentwood Kangaroos near New Orleans. Quite a 1A power for a number of years.

All of the Manning kids are Newman Greenies out of New Orleans.

Chief Wahoo
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I know this one isn't a high school mascot but a friend of mine who lives in Keller was telling me about a semi-pro hockey (it might have been baseball) team that he heard about in Macon, Georgia. They were called the Macon Bacon :D :D :D :D . I never found out if this was really true or he was yanking my chain. He swears it's true. :cool:

Firebird
04-29-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm calling BS on the link to the "Cooke County Texas Fighting Cocks". There are only 3 high schools in Cooke County (county set- Gainseville):

Muenster Sacred Heart
Gainsville High
Lindsay High

None of them Fighting Cocks

If you look closley at the T-Shirt offered for sale it says "Cocke County High School Fighting Cocks"-- clearly a play on words to sell bogus shirts.

PS- "Dreadnoughts" is an AWESOME mascot

LPMOM
04-29-2005, 01:41 AM
thanks for starting this thread! it's a lot of fun to read! :p

there is also a high school somewhere in florida with kangaroos for their mascot. they told us about it when i went to killeen high but i can't remember where.

ktCarl
04-29-2005, 01:53 AM
May not be football but, what's mightier than the Mighty Ducks?
Maybe Baytown Lee Ganders.

GoOwls
04-29-2005, 01:58 AM
This may be slightly off topic, but Richland Community College in Dallas is the Richland Thunderducks. Just thought it would be a nice addition.

jrdaniel
04-29-2005, 12:23 PM
How about the Central Catholic Buttons. Nothing like the tail of something scary to strike fear in opponents.

Someone must have been stuck on alliteration when they were naming NEISD's schools.

Madison Mavericks
Churchill Chargers
Roosevelt RoughRiders
Reagan Rattlers
Lee Losers ;)

jrdaniel
04-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Actually, Macon's minor league hockey team was the Macon Whoopee. A lot of possibilities with a town named Macon, but they picked a good one. I don't think they are around any more though. Those minor hockey leagues have a way of folding up or moving around every few years. Yet another reason to not like hockey.

Lakelover
04-30-2005, 01:21 AM
I checked out the "Dreadnaughts" and they are in Lakeland, Fla. 2004 5A champions, ranked #18 in the US last year at 15-0.

Also found a list of names from around the US if anyone is interested. The site has links to many of the schools' webpages...

http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

cougardude
04-30-2005, 06:15 PM
Van (TX) Vandals

Rerun
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Schertz Clemens Buffaloes
Cibolo Steele Knights

Go Buffs
05-01-2005, 11:40 AM
How about those who have no choice at all when choosing a mascot?

I've always wondered what the naming session was like decades ago that resulted in:

Eagle Pass Eagles

Chairman: "OK, here's our list of suggestions so far...
Eagle Pass Bears,
Eagle Pass Toros,
Eagle Pass Indians,
Eagle Pass Border Patrol Agents,
Eagle Pass Mesquites,
Eagle Pass Hawks. Any comments or can anyone think of any other names?"

Member 2: "Nope, can't think of any more."
Member 3: "I'm stumped."
Member 4: "Nothing else could possibly be as good as those. Let's vote."
Member 5: "Call me crazy, but how about...Eagle Pass...Eagles?"

Other members: "WOW! Super name! Why didn't we think of that?! It's kinda catchy and it makes a little sense if you think about it...a town named for the long ago proliferation of Eagles having Eagles as the mascot!"

Final vote........Eagles 3, Hawks 2. :rolleyes: :D

BTW Headliner, it's kind of ironic that our second school, located in Cibolo, can't use the name Buffaloes, don't you think? Cibolo meaning bison, meaning buffalo. :D Appropriate originally when Schertz Cibolo High School chose Buffaloes for the history of the area, but funny how this all worked out.

garlandowl08
05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Ok, it's not Texas or high school...but the University of California at Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs...its true and I have a t-shirt that my mom got me at a goodwill store when she went to california, plus I knew a girl who almost went there...that's right U.C.-Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs

Shoot2thrill
05-01-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok, it's not Texas or high school...but the University of California at Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs...its true and I have a t-shirt that my mom got me at a goodwill store when she went to california, plus I knew a girl who almost went there...that's right U.C.-Santa Cruz Fighting Banana Slugs

LOL.. Almost went there..The mascot name would keep me from going there! :eek:

GoOwls
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I just went to the site. www.goslugs.com They are Division III. with 15,000 enrolment. You can buy shirts and everything. John Travolta wore one of the t-shirts in Pulp Fiction.

lonny23
05-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Here are some of my all time favorites. I have left quite a few out, just to see if anyone else gets them.

Port Isabel Tarpons
Progresso Red Ants
Port-Lavaca Calhoun Sand Crabs
Texas City Stingarees
Robstown Cottonpickers
Lewisville Fightin' Farmers
Cuero Gobblers
Freeport-Brazosport Exporters (this one fits a lot of my criteria-- awesome)
Roma/Italy Gladiators
Itasca Wampus Cats
Tom Bean Tom Cats
Hamlin Pied Pipers (Possibly the coolest in the state)
Roscoe Plowboys
Winters Blizzards
Hutto Hippos
Trent Gorillas
Mesquite Skeeters
Amarillo Golden Sandstorm
Amarillo Palo Duro Dons

I also forgot to add another classic "lame-o" type mascot to my list.

The totally unexplainable ethnic or hisorical mascot- Brownsville Pace/ Bryan Vikings, The Woodlands Highlanders.
It's the Amarillo Sandies.

lonny23
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
one of my favorites has been the Randolph Ro-Hawks which is next to Converse Judson in the San Antonio area. The Irony of the program is that Judson and Randolph, who sit side by side, are neck and neck in all-time winningest state and national football prgrams.

Someone the other day told me that an announcer doing a contest explained that the Ro-Hawk is a hawk on a rocket, which isn't to my knowledge. From what I understood from someone else, it is an air force term for a fighter plane. I could be wrong though.

Cant forget about the FW Polytechnic Parrots though! Or the Winters Blizzard! :p
Randolph is the Ro-Hawks because they couldn't take Rockets and be next to Judson. Randolph's coach is terrible. One of my best friends would always call the plays from the stands. Their helmets are a take-off from Air Force. The name is a hybrid form of Rocket Hawk.

I'm sure a few people wonder what a Buffalo has to do with Samuel Clemens H.S. The school district is Schertz-Cibolo-Universal City ISD and they used to go by Schertz Cibolo. When the school district said all the schools needed to be named after a person, they chose Samuel Clemens to keep the same initials.