PDA

View Full Version : Best BarBeQue Restaurant

Pages : [1] 2

twcpfan1
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Rudy's at College Station is right up there.

There's a place near Hobby Airport. Central or something? Can anybody confirm that?

Pappas used to be good until they bought out Luther's. Then they deteriorated down to Luther's level. It usually works the other way around.

Anybody else know of good places?

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Joe Allens - Abilene

farmerfan
02-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Bubbas B-B-Q in Ennis Texas is one of my favorites. My all time favorite is Als Chuck Wagon in Lewisville, Tx. Right before you go over the 407 Bridge. It was on the way to the little league fields in Lewisville and we would eat there at least 2-3x a week after games. I still can smell the smoker to this day.

Firebird
02-19-2007, 09:42 PM
Man, you got me started. I am a conessiuer.

Rudy's isn't even the best in College Station-- that would be C&J on Harvey Road past 6. (That location, too, not the one on Texas or Wellborn).

Rudy's and Pappas are chains-- always reliable but never stellar.

Some of the standouts:

Harolds (NOT Joe Allens, jtk) in Abilene. Best cobbler, awesome unique sauce, and Harold sings gospel tunes.

Kreuz Market, Lockhart. No sauce, no fork, no plate. Just the tenderest, juciest, smokiest brisket you ever tore into, wrapped up in butcher paper. An institution.

Novosads Meat Market, Halletsville. The peppery, spicy sausage and cucumber salad makes it worth the trip.

Giddings Market--- Best ribs you ever knawed on.

Coopers, Llano-- True open pit, cowboy barbecue. You can get brisket and sausage, plus faves like cabrito.

Wild Bills, La Feria-- Hot links there are amazing.

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Harolds (NOT Joe Allens, jtk) in Abilene. Best cobbler, awesome unique sauce, and Harold sings gospel tunes.

Harolds makes the best BBQ sandwich this side of Heaven, but Joe Allen's brisket, chicken, ribs and potato salad pwn all.

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 09:47 PM
BTW, I only ate there once when I lived in San Antonio, but there was a place called Rudy's up near 35 and 1604 that was damn good stuff. I was shooting the BBQ sauce like it was whiskey.

farmerfan
02-19-2007, 09:48 PM
BTW, I only ate there once when I lived in San Antonio, but there was a place called Rudy's up near 35 and 1604 that was damn good stuff. I was shooting the BBQ sauce like it was whiskey.

Stuffed baked potato with sausage and brisket on top is one of my favorite things to eat at Rudys. It's a heart attack waiting to happen and I love it.

twcpfan1
02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Farmer mentioned that there is a Rudy's near the UNT campus. If I go there for my kid's drill team competition, that's where I'll be eating. :D

Firebird
02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Ahhhhh......ya'll are killing me. Rudys is decent, but not stellar.

The best BBQ can not be found at a chain. It must be found in places where hygeine is suspect at best and the parking lot isn't paved. Man Law.

farmerfan
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Ahhhhh......ya'll are killing me. Rudys is decent, but not stellar.

The best BBQ can not be found at a chain. It must be found in places where hygeine is suspect at best and the parking lot isn't paved. Man Law.

Bubbas in Ennis fits that to a T.

RATTLERS316
02-19-2007, 09:53 PM

the original Rudys is the one u want to eat at...that one is located out by Fiesta Texas on I-10 in Leon Springs...that one is the best guarenteed ;)

farmerfan
02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure Farmer mentioned that there is a Rudy's near the UNT campus. If I go there for my kid's drill team competition, that's where I'll be eating. :D

Its off of Teasley and 35E. On the southbound side. There is a hotel right next door to it too.

DrEdward
Give the Feedstore BBQ in Southlake a try; great ribs; chili on occasion as the mmod strikes them.

LP-79
Stanleys BBQ in Tyler is great. It is on Beckham right past the Hospitals. As always you gotta include Stringers BBQ in Lufkin. Meat is great! Rolls are better.

Firebird
02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
the original Rudys is the one u want to eat at...that one is located out by Fiesta Texas on I-10 in Leon Springs...that one is the best guarenteed ;)

I've been to that one and you are right. The meat at the other locations doesn't stack up.

Slim-Rob
02-19-2007, 09:58 PM
What about the Salt Lick?

big red & cujo
02-19-2007, 10:00 PM

There's a place near Hobby Airport. Central or something? Can anybody confirm that?

Pappas used to be good until they bought out Luther's. Then they deteriorated down to Luther's level. It usually works the other way around.

i like dicky's.

wide-e-wide
02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Rudy's is alright...in that fast food sort of way.

I say...

Lufkin BBQ

and a little hole in the wall here in Waco called Jasper's

I might add that if anyone says Bill Miller's they should be banned immediately.

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM

For tourists who watch too much Rachel Ray.

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
East Texas BBQ is def. distinct. I find the sause just a bit too sticky sweet, but I can appreciate it. I prefer the central Texas German and Pole influenced 'cue and West Texas cow cooked over blazing mesquite. I like a more vinegary sauce, and if the meat is good enough, none at all.

May I also cast my vote for the superiority of mustardy, vinegary potato salad to the creamy, mayonnaise stuff.

farmerfan
02-19-2007, 10:06 PM
I'll be heading through Memphis next month. Any suggestions on where to stop for their world famous Bar-B-Q?

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 10:08 PM
I'll be heading through Memphis next month. Any suggestions on where to stop for their world famous Bar-B-Q?

Crap. There is a rib joint downtown that is actually in an alley. I can't think of the name, but you will put on a Yankees cap for their ribs.

Favpack
02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
RUdy's is good, but Harold's and Joe Allen's in Abilene kick all butt. Folks in Lufkin think Lufkin bbq is good - it's pretty good - but it could not hold a candle to Harold's.

RATTLERS316
02-19-2007, 10:09 PM
my favorites are:
1. Coopers BBQ-Llano..hands down the best bbq in texas...President loves to eat there
2. The Original Rudys BBQ-Leon Springs(San Antonio)...meat is nice and tender and the sauce is top rate..order a bottle and u will see
3. Southside Market-Elgin....best sausage in texas..also have a seperate meat market to buy there meats..place is always crowded
4. Saltlick BBQ-Driftwood(near Austin)...great flavor meat
5. Davila's BBQ-Seguin....great mexican flavored bbq..sausage and chicken is real good too

honorable mention:
New Braunfels Smokehouse
Ironworks BBQ-Austin
Blacks BBQ and Chisum Trail BBQ- Lockhart
Bill Millers BBQ is not too bad if your really hungry...love the sweet tea
City Market-Luling...almost forgot that one..thanks to poster for bringing that one up..always love eating there during the Watermelon Thump

jtk1519
02-19-2007, 10:10 PM
I think this is the place...

http://www.hogsfly.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=20

wide-e-wide
02-19-2007, 10:10 PM

Neely's or the Blues City Cafe'
I think Texas BBQ is better though...

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
my favorites are:
1. Coopers BBQ-Llano..hands down the best bbq in texas...President loves to eat there
2. The Original Rudys BBQ-Leon Springs(San Antonio)...meat is nice and tender and the sauce is top rate..order a bottle and u will see
3. Southside Market-Elgin....best sausage in texas..also have a seperate meat market to buy there meats..place is always crowded
5. Davila's BBQ-Seguin....great mexican flavored bbq..sausage and chicken is real good too

honorable mention:
New Braunfels Smokehouse
Ironworks BBQ-Austin
Blacks BBQ and Chisum Trail BBQ- Lockhart
Bill Millers BBQ is not too bad if your really hungry...love the sweet tea

A couple of standouts you got there. I do have to take issue with your Lockhart picks, Kreuz Market is the place for BBQ in Lockhart.

LoneRocket
02-19-2007, 10:13 PM
--

LoneRocket
02-19-2007, 10:14 PM
--

RATTLERS316
02-19-2007, 10:16 PM
A couple of standouts you got there. I do have to take issue with your Lockhart picks, Kreuz Market is the place for BBQ in Lockhart.
im sorry i wasnt too impressed with Kreuz..meat wasnt tender plus they close way early like 5 or 6 pm..that should be against the law in Texas:eek:

LoneRocket
02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
--

BDB
02-19-2007, 10:18 PM
makeskas?(sp.) all i really remember was the food was aight, and there were chingos of mounted animals

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Plus they do not serve ribs.

Ribs are a nice add-on, but not really part of the pantheon of Texas BBQ.

Brisket and Sausage are what all true Texas BBQ joints must be judged by. Anything else is just gravy.

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
makeskas?(sp.) all i really remember was the food was aight, and there were chingos of mounted animals

Mikeskas. The Mikeska family is a BBQ clan, they all serve up good fare. I take it you ate at the one in El Campo off 59?

BDB
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Mikeskas. The Mikeska family is a BBQ clan, they all serve up good fare. I take it you ate at the one in El Campo off 59?

yea i wanted to say el campo, but i had just woken up and someone coulda told me we were in brazil.
but that was that sweet a$$ bbq sause, its really good though.

the longhorn(haha) in san benito has really good brisket where they get the cow(longhorn) right behind the restaurant. its more of a spicy, garlicy bbq, and mesquite smoked.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
greatness

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:29 PM
yea i wanted to say el campo, but i had just woken up and someone coulda told me we were in brazil.
but that was that sweet a$$ bbq sause, its really good though.

the longhorn(haha) in san benito has really good brisket where they get the cow(longhorn) right behind the restaurant. its more of a spicy, garlicy bbq, and mesquite smoked.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
greatness

The Longhorn is really, really solid. Great for the RGV. I had my rehearsal dinner there.

BDB
02-19-2007, 10:32 PM
The Longhorn is really, really solid. Great for the RGV. I had my rehearsal dinner there.

brisket and ranchero beans.......thats texan

Firebird
02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
brisket and ranchero beans.......thats texan

South Texas beans own all others. Period.

Keep your sweet baked beans from the can. I want mine "a la charra".

WestPlano006
02-20-2007, 03:13 AM
COLTER'S BBQ!

they been closing a lot of them though, used to be several in the DFW area.

Link Sausage sandwich = the ****

slorch
02-20-2007, 05:19 AM
I don't remember the name, but it's in Junction after you get off of I10 heading north. Awesome BBQ sandwiches and BBQ porkchops. I always make it a point to stop there between San Antonio and Lubbock, especially on trips to go to the float the Guadaloupe...

ahhh...good times!

CyFallsMom
02-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Luling City BBQ and Carl's are both pretty good.

We used to go to this little hole in the wall in Spring Branch back in the early 60's - a black family owned the joint and, because of segregation, most white people stayed away....but not us thank goodness! We became friends with them and went there at least once a week. Mr. Jackson, the owner, made THE best BBQ I have EVER eaten to this day (fell off the fork and melted in your mouth) and I have never come close to finding anything that tasted even close. I use Jackson's BBQ as my BBQ barometer and have searched for years for anything similar to no avail.

ktCarl
02-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Years ago Goode Co. on Kirby in Houston was good but the last time I was there was the early '80's. Dozier's in Fulshear also used to be good. They had the only sausage I knew of that you couldn't squeeze grease out of. It was lean and very tasty. Mr. Dozier sold the place and it's gone downhill. Now the only place I've found good BBQ in Katy is at Nomacher's. I've had better but his brisket is always very tender. Please someone from Katy tell me where to get some great BBQ without having to drive to Luling!! That place next to Midway grocery doesn't count. They serve those candy-as*ed pork and beans as their BBQ beans. They should be shut down for that crime.

LUFPAN
02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Stanleys BBQ in Tyler is great. It is on Beckham right past the Hospitals. As always you gotta include Stringers BBQ in Lufkin. Meat is great! Rolls are better.

Stringer's gets my vote as the best. Sonny Bryan's in Dallas aint bad either.

dragonsdaddy
02-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Give the Feedstore BBQ in Southlake a try; great ribs; chili on occasion as the mmod strikes them.

there is absolutely no way anyone anywhere can argue against the feedstore as having the best bbq for sale in sl. and cooper's is my favorite in the hill country.

drgnbkr
02-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Angelos in Fort Worth..Hard 8 in Stephenville & Brady (it's not a chain)

dragonsdaddy
02-20-2007, 07:50 AM

they are opening a hard 8 up this way soon, as per a friend who eats there a lot.

farmerfan
02-20-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm about to drop a bombshell to some however one place I was very disappointed in was Underwoods in Brownwood. I realize it is a cafeteria but there Bar-B-Q disappointed me greatly after all I had heard about it.

drgnbkr
02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
they are opening a hard 8 up this way soon, as per a friend who eats there a lot.

They serve a 3-4" thick pork chop that'll make you want to slap yo mama! (Sorry stole that fom Mel's)

twcpfan1
02-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Just to go a little bit off topic here..as far as store bought barbeque sauce goes, nothing beats Tony Roma's original.

pied
02-20-2007, 09:09 AM
No love for North Main in Euless?

For those in the metroplex, there is a big place that looks promising in Coppell near the original Coppell Deli. Pretty big place that looks like they will have some outdoor pits.

I think the name is "Pit Barbecue" but may be wrong.

dragonsdaddy
02-20-2007, 09:20 AM
No love for North Main in Euless?

For those in the metroplex, there is a big place that looks promising in Coppell near the original Coppell Deli. Pretty big place that looks like they will have some outdoor pits.

I think the name is "Pit Barbecue" but may be wrong.

that may be the pre-mentioned hard 8 was going to be built in coppell.

pied
02-20-2007, 09:28 AM

Right down the street from me at work. I will check it out today.

drgnbkr
02-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Right down the street from me at work. I will check it out today.

You will not regret it!

pied
02-20-2007, 12:30 PM

you are correct. My guess is that we are 6-8 weeks from opening.

Got a ticket from Coppell's finest getting that info by the way.

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 12:36 PM
City Market Luling,TX.

This may be the Best in TEXAS!

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM

I was in SA this weekend. Driving back to the Metroplex we took the detour and ate at Salt Lick. They have outstanding brisket and sausage. The pork ribs are ok. Beans are very good. They have a good slaw but if you like yours sweet, you may not like it. The potato salad is an acquired taste to some extent. Order the Family style if you go and they just put everything in front of you. I hurt myself yesterday at lunch!:p

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 12:53 PM

I remember Angelos being very good. Have not been there since the 90s. I had a lot of cold beer in the place! Largest schooner collection in Texas. They use to bring your beer in an ice-cold schooner and the waitress always put another one in front of you before you had the chance to get to the bottom of your last one. You just shoved your empty schooner to the middle of the table. Always got new frozen schooner with every beer. They use to only have 2 beers. Michelob Light and Bud. i don't know if it is still the same way or not.

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
you are correct. My guess is that we are 6-8 weeks from opening.

Got a ticket from Coppell's finest getting that info by the way.

OUCH!:mad:

stevefoxsc
02-20-2007, 01:18 PM
when i visited baton rouge there was a place called vodo bbq, and the wow...

I love Texas but i highly doubt anything we have here could top that place it had great atmosphere great drinks and the food was to die for i went there once when i got there cause of a commercial i saw and i went again the last day i was there and they sent me off in style. There chicken wings were to die for they were moist and juicy yet the meat was so tender you didn't even have to try and tear it off the bone god that place makes me want to take another road trip to Louisiana just to eat at that place.

svhorns
02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
The County Line BBQ is pretty good out here in Austin...

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 02:30 PM
The County Line BBQ is pretty good out here in Austin...

Oh man... I forgot about that place. I use to live in Killeen in the 80s and would run to Austin for County Line RIBS. I could not finsh the three ribs they put infront of me. Meat just fell off the bone.

drgnbkr
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
I remember Angelos being very good. Have not been there since the 90s. I had a lot of cold beer in the place! Largest schooner collection in Texas. They use to bring your beer in an ice-cold schooner and the waitress always put another one in front of you before you had the chance to get to the bottom of your last one. You just shoved your empty schooner to the middle of the table. Always got new frozen schooner with every beer. They use to only have 2 beers. Michelob Light and Bud. i don't know if it is still the same way or not.

Yeah, the waitress, when they have one will just yell across the floor...2 large!!! for 2 large schooners...classic place..used to see Jim Wright and lots of TCU folks in there...great Brisket and ribs & oh yeah Cold Beers!

CyFallsMom
02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
I forgot about Angelos! That is pretty good too - just don't go there without cash though - they don't like Credit Cards.

Favpack
02-20-2007, 03:41 PM
We just got a Logan's Roadhouse - how are they for chains?

pied
02-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Not really a BarBQue joint in my experience.

Their gimmick is free peanuts you throw on the floor. Food is better than Chillis/Bennigans/etc. but nothing to get excited about.

drgnbkr
02-20-2007, 04:16 PM
I forgot about Angelos! That is pretty good too - just don't go there without cash though - they don't like Credit Cards.

I don't know if they like credit cards or not..they don't take em!...:D Best Cole Slaw around IMO.

PaulinPlano
02-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Salt Lick accepts cash only. They have an ATM though.

Bobcat81
02-20-2007, 05:41 PM
A bbq place called "Carl's" on Westpark near the Beltway 8 (west) is pretty good, if your ever roaming around hungry on that side of Houston.
Place gets a "Blue Ribbon" award anually from Mr. Maaaaarvin Zindler himself.

Stuffed baked potato's that take up most of the plate..

Clean..very reasonably priced.. Good eat'n

jtk1519
02-20-2007, 06:35 PM
In all honesty, when I lived at my old house and had my grill, I made the best BBQ in Texas and I'm not the slightest bit joking. I would buy a brisket and make my own sweet and spicy rub that I would put on the meat overnight. I would smoke that bad boy over pecan wood from the back yard with a few mesquite chunks thrown in for a hint of mesquite flavor. After 16+ hours smoking at around 190-210 degrees and a 30 minute rest, I would carve the juiciest, most tender brisket you have ever put in your mouth. BBQ sauce need not apply.

I would also smoke dry and wet baby backs, beer can chicken using Shiner bock with a shot of Jack Daniels thrown in for fun, pork butts and sausage from a small place in Fredricksburg so good that it would make you want to slap your mama. I miss my grill. :(

ktCarl
02-20-2007, 06:51 PM
A bbq place called "Carl's" on Westpark near the Beltway 8 (west) is pretty good, if your ever roaming around hungry on that side of Houston.

I need to show up at that place wearing my ktCarl shirt! :D

TXFOOSBALL
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM

beat me to it KTcarl....I was gonna ask if you owned the place :D

I like feedstore BBQ in Southlake but Sonny Bryan's is the freakin BOMB. MMMMMM Im hungry.

I live in houston now but I have never been to Lulings...heard it was hard to beat though. I personally like Demeris BBQ off of Shepard.

CoveMom
02-20-2007, 08:28 PM
My favorite bbq places in Texas:

1. Bodacious in Tyler
2. The second big bbq joint in Elgin coming from Austin (name?)
3. That ratty joint just outside of downtown Dallas (really ratty outside,
help me out here guys)

I may not know what their names are, but I can find them blindfolded!

Bobcat81
02-20-2007, 08:48 PM

Haha.. I bet you'd get a heafty discount and a full belly there Carl. Worth a try;)

I'm not sure if this is the same "Carl's" FallsMom was talking about earlier.. if it is...then it was certainly worth mentioning twice!

CyFallsMom
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM
The Carl's I'm talking about is on 290 near Cy Fair H.S. and it started off many years ago over on Grant Rd. I think the Grant Rd. location may have closed but I have eaten at that one too - it was in an old house. I love that place.

RATTLERS316
02-20-2007, 11:53 PM

1. Bodacious in Tyler
help me out here guys)

that one u are talking about from Elgin is Meyers ...not bad but i like southside better

ktCarl
02-21-2007, 06:44 AM
The Carl's I'm talking about is on 290 near Cy Fair H.S. and it started off many years ago over on Grant Rd. I think the Grant Rd. location may have closed but I have eaten at that one too - it was in an old house. I love that place.

Do you think I should take Bobcat81's advice? Of course my wife won't go out to dinner with me if I wear my ktCarl game shirt.

I still haven't got any Katy folks to tell me of good BBQ places that are reasonably close. So far it's Nomacher's.

slorch
02-21-2007, 06:53 AM

The ones I've been to are good( Lubbock and lake Charles)

Roast beef sandwich on the lunch menu hits the spot!

drgnbkr
02-21-2007, 12:38 PM

Is Maaaarvin Zindler still breathing? I figured he would be room temperature by now....

TXFOOSBALL
02-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Is Maaaarvin Zindler still breathing? I figured he would be room temperature by now....

haha..yea I took my ex to a restaurant by downtown houston off of Dallas st. called NINO's and he was at the table next to us for his B-day. He was wearing an all white suit with long manacured fingernails. What a queer!

WestPlano006
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Anyone ever been to Van's Pig Stand? I think they might have them in Texas, they have a few up here around campus.

Firebird
02-21-2007, 03:50 PM

1. Bodacious in Tyler
help me out here guys)

Sonny Bryan's

ktCarl
02-21-2007, 04:00 PM

That's tempatoor in Zindler-ese.

TXFOOSBALL
02-21-2007, 04:36 PM
That's tempatoor in Zindler-ese.

SLUDGE IN THE ICE MACHINE!

CoveMom
02-21-2007, 05:06 PM
that one u are talking about from Elgin is Meyers ...not bad but i like southside better

Thanks for the name. I like the chicken (:eek: ) there. Most places it just tastes baked, but at Meyer's it tastes like it has been really smoked. Also love the sausage!

CoveMom
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Sonny Bryan's

Tankee, Tankee!

BlackandRed05
02-22-2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the name. I like the chicken (:eek:) there. Most places it just tastes baked, but at Meyer's it tastes like it has been really smoked. Also love the sausage!

Can I please say it? Please?

CoveMom
02-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the name. I like the chicken (:eek:) there. Most places it just tastes baked, but at Meyer's it tastes like it has been really smoked. Also love the sausage!

Can I please say it? Please?

sure, why not? :D

grayowl60
02-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Been watching this thread and now I want to say my opinion. I know about Dallas East BBQ and this is my top three in this area:
1. Bakers Ribs
Several locations Mesquite and Garland. They have pulled pork and thats hard to find around these parts.
2. Soulmans. Garland, Mesquite, Rockwall, and Royce city. Very good chicken and beans
3. Mesquite BBQ. Classic little BBQ joint on E. Davis near the high school

I have to say some of the best BBQ in Texas IMO is around San Antonio. It seems they have a little GERMAN influence. You can even get good BBQ at an ICE HOUSE;)

pack4life
02-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Suggestions please.. i'm going to Tyler this weekend.

CoveMom
02-22-2007, 04:08 PM

1. Take your own beer. Dry county.
2. Bodacious BBQ on Beckham.
3. PM BigRed&Cujo for any new local restaurants. I have not lived there for 29 years. I only visit occasionally since my mother moved to the country near Terrell.

There used to be a really good seafood place on South Broadway (south of the Mall and Loop 323). It was called Johnny Cace's (sp?). Don't know if it is still there, but take your gold card if it is. :D

The best place for diner-style food is an old place on Glenwood (at least it used to be there, may be closed now). They have the BEST yeast rolls. That place I cannot remember the name of. Starts with an "L" and that's about all I really remember. Loggin's comes to mind but I could be wrong. Great place for Sunday dinner after church. Again, if it is open still.

LUFPAN
02-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Sonny Bryan's

Sonny Bryans = Overated.

bryanvikings
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Man, you got me started. I am a conessiuer.

Rudy's isn't even the best in College Station-- that would be C&J on Harvey Road past 6. (That location, too, not the one on Texas or Wellborn).

Rudy's and Pappas are chains-- always reliable but never stellar.

Some of the standouts:

Kreuz Market, Lockhart. No sauce, no fork, no plate. Just the tenderest, juciest, smokiest brisket you ever tore into, wrapped up in butcher paper. An institution.

Novosads Meat Market, Halletsville. The peppery, spicy sausage and cucumber salad makes it worth the trip.

Giddings Market--- Best ribs you ever knawed on.

Coopers, Llano-- True open pit, cowboy barbecue. You can get brisket and sausage, plus faves like cabrito.

Wild Bills, La Feria-- Hot links there are amazing.

C&J is great

jp744
02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Top 5

1. Mueller's in Austin Have to eat there during State BB Tourn or before a Longhorn football game get there early on game days they will run out of food. I will be there soon. My plate is Brisket, Sausage, Beans, Yellow Squash in watery greasy melted cheese it is the best. Anyone ever been here before?
1917 Manor Rd Link Below http://homepage.mac.com/ravnhaus/BBQ/BBQJoints/jmueller.htm

2. Southside Market in Elgin, Texas
3 Chisolm Trail in Lockhart The place that is never mentioned and is the best.
4. Angelo's BBQ in Ft Worth
5. City Market in Luling and Smolik's in Cuero is a tie

Firebird
02-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Sonny Bryans = Overated.

I think so too, I was just helping out a poster who forgot the name of the place.

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Been watching this thread and now I want to say my opinion. I know about Dallas East BBQ and this is my top three in this area:
1. Bakers Ribs
Several locations Mesquite and Garland. They have pulled pork and thats hard to find around these parts.
2. Soulmans. Garland, Mesquite, Rockwall, and Royce city. Very good chicken and beans
3. Mesquite BBQ. Classic little BBQ joint on E. Davis near the high school

I have to say some of the best BBQ in Texas IMO is around San Antonio. It seems they have a little GERMAN influence. You can even get good BBQ at an ICE HOUSE;)

I go to Baker ribs in Deep Ellum (3 blocks from downtown Dallas) every now and then. I would probably go more often if the Angry Dog was not next to it.:p

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 08:52 AM

Not BBQ but go to Jucy's hambugers and get a burger and some onion rings!!!

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 08:55 AM
Sonny Bryans = Overated.

I think so too, I was just helping out a poster who forgot the name of the place.

I have not been to the original location. But the others I have been to are fine. They are convenient. But I would not put them in the top 10.

Spingcreek BBQ in DFW is better I think.

Rotor Dr
02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Central Texas BBQ, across Airport Blvd from Hobby. Also a second location in Pearland.

Cotton's in Calallen

My Dad'sBBQ!

rancher52
02-23-2007, 01:16 PM

Do the Lafavers (sp?) still own and manage the Feedstore? I agree it is pretty good.

CoveMom
02-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Not BBQ but go to Jucy's hambugers and get a burger and some onion rings!!!

OMG I forgot about that place. YES, absolutely go there for a burger and rings. Best Onion Rings on the planet!

twcpfan1
02-24-2007, 07:51 PM
While we're on the subject, I went to the Father/Daughter baseball day at A&M today organized by my kid's sorority. They served lunch. All the Rudy's barbeque you can eat. Man, I thought I died and went to heaven

Chain or not, that is damn good barbeque. The coleslaw is to die for. Who won the game btw? We had to leave halfway through the 3rd. She was still recovering from the flu and the wind was howling up in the stands.

cougardude
02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
My dad is a huge fan of Cooper's in Llano and stops there if he ever gets anywhere near it.

North Texas Football
02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
The County Line --- Austin, TX, is a great BBQ place with awesome views.

DrEdward
02-26-2007, 08:27 AM
Do the Lafavers (sp?) still own and manage the Feedstore? I agree it is pretty good.

They sure do. It is still a family run business with Matt, Bill and the kids involved.

pack0808
02-26-2007, 08:54 AM
i like dicky's.

uhoh do we have yet another member coming out of the closet in here? :eek: ;)

PaulinPlano
02-26-2007, 11:05 AM
The County Line --- Austin, TX, is a great BBQ place with awesome views.

Yep... we touched on it earlier. Best Beef ribs I have ever had!

cctigerdb1992
02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
Anyone ever been to Van's Pig Stand? I think they might have them in Texas, they have a few up here around campus.

i love vans pig stand!!!!!!, i had some onetime when i was in oklahome, berts in austin and angelos are both awesome, saltlick is hard to beat also, rudys too

cctigerdb1992
02-26-2007, 09:27 PM
berts in austin is hard to beat for a little place

PaulinPlano
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Bill Miller is opening a BBQ restaurant in Seguin...

Competition for Davila's. Davila's is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lasso?ewcd=3c1e906572574ed5

CoveMom
04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Bill Miller is opening a BBQ restaurant in Seguin...

Competition for Davila's. Davila's is pretty hard to beat.

http://www.seguingazette.com/story.lasso?ewcd=3c1e906572574ed5

Bill Miller is only acceptable if you need to feed a bunch of people in a hurry and it's 3 days til you get paid. Or if you are headed south on I-37 out of San Antonio and it's the last restaurant for 100 miles (even then, you might just want to wait for another town). So anyway halfway decent BBQ joint will beat Bill Miller, anytime, anywhere.

Dawg Fan
04-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Bill Miller is only acceptable if you need to feed a bunch of people in a hurry and it's 3 days til you get paid. Or if you are headed south on I-37 out of San Antonio and it's the last restaurant for 100 miles (even then, you might just want to wait for another town). So anyway halfway decent BBQ joint will beat Bill Miller, anytime, anywhere.

I agree, the last time I was in San Antonio we went to Bill Millers off of 1604 near UTSA and it was horrible. I am never going back....ever

PaulinPlano
04-12-2007, 03:32 PM

I agree, the last time I was in San Antonio we went to Bill Millers off of 1604 near UTSA and it was horrible. I am never going back....ever

Boy if that is the case, they won't last long in Seguin with Davila's there. But they must be good for some folks. How have they gotten so big? 67 locations.

Firebird
04-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Bill Miller's got big using your standard formula:

Reliably decent, but not great food, for cheap. When you are motoring along and see the Bill Miller's sign, you know what you are going to get. It ain't gonna be great, but you won't feel like you just threw away 3.00.

SV61
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Bill Miller's got big using your standard formula:

Reliably decent, but not great food, for cheap. When you are motoring along and see the Bill Miller's sign, you know what you are going to get. It ain't gonna be great, but you won't feel like you just threw away 3.00.

Everybody knows that you go to Bill Miller's for their Tea!

mtbray
04-12-2007, 04:10 PM
For tourists who watch too much Rachel Ray.

I agree, sure it's all you can eat, but I really really expected more. I didn't think the quality was that good at all. Unfortunately many of my friends all buy into the hype....horrible.

mtbray
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't remember the name of the place, but have any of you ever eaten near the market in Luling??? Damn, damn good.

Firebird
04-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't remember the name of the place, but have any of you ever eaten near the market in Luling??? Damn, damn good.

Luling City Market? Yep, damn good.

toddg
04-12-2007, 04:20 PM
toddg's backyard grill! you people really need to eat at home more.:D

cyfallsgoalie31
04-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Carl's is pretty good, great stuffed baked potato.

Goode Co. has the best pecan pie around IMO

SV61
04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Regarding Coopers:
They got good food, but need better proofreaders(??)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/rpattersonII/Coopers2.jpg

I saw that, and almost fell down laughin. Guess some folks, just never grow up.

ANYWAY,

Might I also suggest Busbees in Bandera.

Buzzies in Comfort and Kerrville. Order the Po-boy special. You will waddle out of there.

Firebird
04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Regarding Coopers:
They got good food, but need better proofreaders(??)

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/rpattersonII/Coopers2.jpg

I saw that, and almost fell down laughin. Guess some folks, just never grow up.

ANYWAY,

Might I also suggest Busbees in Bandera.

Buzzies in Comfort and Kerrville. Order the Po-boy special. You will waddle out of there.

There was a place in Harlingen that sold assorted gourmet nuts....They had a marquee that said:

"Come in and taste our nuts".

I really wanted a picture of that one.

ktCarl
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I still haven't got any Katy folks to tell me of good BBQ places that are reasonably close.

Uh hhummmmmmmmm! :mad:

Dog Will Hunt
04-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Plus they do not serve ribs.

no sauce either !!!!!

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 11:09 AM

Luling City Market? Yep, damn good.

Best place!

CoveMom
04-13-2007, 12:59 PM
toddg's backyard grill! you people really need to eat at home more.:D

Ummmmm.....this post and your current avatar don't help your argument. :D

(just thought I'd take a moment and point that out. when I noticed it, I sprayed Bush's finest iced tea all over the computer desk. I have a sick mind.)

PaulinPlano
04-16-2007, 08:33 AM
:mad:
I have to report… I was in Waco this past weekend and went to Rudy’s BBQ. I am sorry to say I was very disappointed. The brisket was not tender and chewy. Usually when the BBQ is not that great you can just use more sauce than normal. I tried 3 different bottles of the BBQ sauce and it was terrible. Potato salad was good. Coleslaw was good. Sausage was OK.

Thumbs down for Rudy’s. :puke :puke

drgnbkr
04-16-2007, 08:41 AM
I have to report… I was in Waco this past weekend and went to Rudy’s BBQ. I am sorry to say I was very disappointed. The brisket was not tender and chewy. Usually when the BBQ is not that great you can just use more sauce than normal. I tried 3 different bottles of the BBQ sauce and it was terrible. Potato salad was good. Coleslaw was good. Sausage was OK.

Chain Bar-B-Que Restaurant is almost an oxymoron...Rudy's is a chain and every pit is different...hit and miss is the best way to describe it.

PaulinPlano
04-16-2007, 08:51 AM

Chain Bar-B-Que Restaurant is almost an oxymoron...Rudy's is a chain and every pit is different...hit and miss is the best way to describe it.

But that does not explain the sauce!:puke

SV61
05-04-2007, 01:21 PM

But the original Rudy's, in Leon Springs, is still the cat's meow.

GOOD eatin.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 01:29 PM
But the original Rudy's, in Leon Springs, is still the cat's meow.

GOOD eatin.

It's def. the best of the Rudy's but I agree with PaulinPlano..."sause":puke

You CAN get pretty good semi-chain BBQ. Betty Rose's Lil'Brisket puts out highly decent 'cue across Abilene, although both Harold's and Joe Allen's are much better.

In B/CS C&J put's out good stuff, too.

But overall, hole-in-the-wall is the way to go.

I'm telling ya'll, Novosad's Meat Market in Halletsville.....

drgnbkr
05-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Hard 8 in Stephenville - soon to open in Coppell.

http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

SV61
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm telling ya'll, Novosad's Meat Market in Halletsville.....

Is this one any relation to the Meat Market in Luling, or near Luling?

I hear that one is really good.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Is this one any relation to the Meat Market in Luling, or near Luling?

I hear that one is really good.

Luling's is great...but CenTex is full of "meat markets" (get your minds out of the gutter;) ), none of which have relations to each other, other than serving up the best 'cue in the state.

Giddings Market
Luling Central Market
Novosad's Meat Market
Southside Market (Elgin)
Kreuz Market (Taylor)

The list goes on and on. The places I put up there will make you swear off Rudy's for life.

SV61
05-04-2007, 02:21 PM
Luling's is great...but CenTex is full of "meat markets" (get your minds out of the gutter;) ), none of which have relations to each other, other than serving up the best 'cue in the state.

Giddings Market
Luling Central Market
Novosad's Meat Market
Southside Market (Elgin)
Kreuz Market (Taylor)

The list goes on and on. The places I put up there will make you swear off Rudy's for life.

I haven't been to Rudy's (Leon Springs Rudy's) in some time. To me, Rudy's sauce is what defines them. Though I am not a Brisket kinda guy, in the day, the original Rudy's could throw down a pretty good one. Not sure these days.

Among the best to me, is the Cooper's in Llano. That place is tough to beat.

Pork Chops 1 1/2" Thick. Wow. I mean, if you are into that sorta thing.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 02:24 PM
I haven't been to Rudy's (Leon Springs Rudy's) in some time. To me, Rudy's sauce is what defines them. Though I am not a Brisket kinda guy, in the day, the original Rudy's could throw down a pretty good one. Not sure these days.

Among the best to me, is the Cooper's in Llano. That place is tough to beat.

Pork Chops 1 1/2" Thick. Wow. I mean, if you are into that sorta thing.

A Texas BBQ fan that isn't a brisket guy:eek:

Heresy!

ktCarl
05-04-2007, 02:27 PM

Heresy!

He must be from New York City!!

Get a rope! :eek:

SV61
05-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Heresy!

Tell me about it. I haven't hear that ALL my life. ;)

Let's see what else?

I am a big part German, Prussian, or of that ilk. I Love ALL sports, Born and raised in Texas, and ABSOLUTELY detest Beer.

I know, I know. Sacreligious.

I have come to aquire a taste for Brisket. If there are Steaks, Ribs or Chicken though, I'll be having that first.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
I agree that Cooper's in Llano is great. I do like to try out the different stuff some BBQ places put in the pit. Coopers sometimes has cabrito.

Novosad's offers up lamb....it's delicous. And pork chops are good barbecued, too.

But, IMHO, the first time you try out a 'cue joint, you have to order the brisket/sausage combo. That's the real acid test of any Texas BBQ place. If they can't do it right, it isn't even worth going back.

If they can, then by all means go back and try out the other stuff. But at it's heart, Texas BBQ is brisket and sausage.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Tell me about it. I haven't hear that ALL my life. ;)

Let's see what else?

I am a big part German, Prussian, or of that ilk. I Love ALL sports, Born and raised in Texas, and ABSOLUTELY detest Beer.

I know, I know. Sacreligious.

I have come to aquire a taste for Brisket. If there are Steaks, Ribs or Chicken though, I'll be having that first.

I like ribs...I've never been a huge fan of BBQ chicken, though, I think it's better just to grill the bird. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat it. And don't get me started on turkey---it dries out, even when done right.

I've only tried BBQ'd sirloin once, and that was enough. Steak ought to get grilled.

Also, I don't like beer with bbq--I know, heresy. I think iced tea, Dr. Pepper, and Big Red are natural drinks for 'cue.

SV61
05-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I agree that Cooper's in Llano is great. I do like to try out the different stuff some BBQ places put in the pit. Coopers sometimes has cabrito.

Novosad's offers up lamb....it's delicous. And pork chops are good barbecued, too.

But, IMHO, the first time you try out a 'cue joint, you have to order the brisket/sausage combo. That's the real acid test of any Texas BBQ place. If they can't do it right, it isn't even worth going back.

If they can, then by all means go back and try out the other stuff. But at it's heart, Texas BBQ is brisket and sausage.

Yep,

For ribs, you gotta head to Tennesee, or Kansas City, it seems.

Sausage is a no brainer, but to me, the MAKER of the suasage is almost as important as the BBQ joint. Maybe that is why so many of the meat markets you discuss are on your list. They make a wonderful sausage, and just happen to know how to BBQ it!

So, what about Chicken? You got Brisket and Sausage in Texas. KC/Tenn has Ribs. Where does chicken fit it?

Firebird
05-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Yep,

For ribs, you gotta head to Tennesee, or Kansas City, it seems.

Sausage is a no brainer, but to me, the MAKER of the suasage is almost as important as the BBQ joint. Maybe that is why so many of the meat markets you discuss are on your list. They make a wonderful sausage, and just happen to know how to BBQ it!

So, what about Chicken? You got Brisket and Sausage in Texas. KC/Tenn has Ribs. Where does chicken fit it?

You got it. Those places make their own sausage, usually with plenty of pepper and garlic. Store bought stuff can't compare.

KT2000
05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Uh hhummmmmmmmm! :mad:

Midway in Katy.
Mikeska's in Columbus.

ktCarl
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Midway in Katy.
Mikeska's in Columbus.

Have you tried the bbq brisket at nomachers(sp)?

KT2000
05-04-2007, 02:50 PM

No. The best brisket I've ever had is made by my gramps. Too bad he's in Castle Rock, Colorado now. He worked the rodeo for 30+ years (Chevron) and they had a bbq pit team. Good lord. I'd crawl over broken glass for that stuff again.

Whenever my bros and I visit, we get him to fire up the slow smoker. Sweet Jesus, I'm hungry now.

ktCarl
05-04-2007, 02:53 PM
No. The best brisket I've ever had is made by my gramps. Too bad he's in Castle Rock, Colorado now. He worked the rodeo for 30+ years (Chevron) and they had a bbq pit team. Good lord. I'd crawl over broken glass for that stuff again.

Whenever my bros and I visit, we get him to fire up the slow smoker. Sweet Jesus, I'm hungry now.

You need to go to Snappy's for brkfst real soon. They hired some new eye candy for you.

SV61
05-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Also, I don't like beer with bbq--I know, heresy. I think iced tea, Dr. Pepper, and Big Red are natural drinks for 'cue.

If I recall from another Thread, you don't care for sweet tea. :confused:

You guys don't laugh too hard, but an IBC Cream Soda with a BBQ plate is hard to beat! Specially, when the bottle is frosted up!

Yessir.

Firebird
05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
If I recall from another Thread, you don't care for sweet tea. :confused:

You guys don't laugh too hard, but an IBC Cream Soda with a BBQ plate is hard to beat! Specially, when the bottle is frosted up!

Yessir.

No, I don't like sweet tea. I like straight iced tea with my 'cue.

I only like sweet tea Mexican style, spiked with lots of lime. Sticky-sugary southern style I can't do.

Redhoss
05-04-2007, 04:37 PM

I think it's Nonmachers. It's not bad.

There is a hole-in-the-wall in Richmond that's not bad. I can't remember things nowadays, yuk.
Also a place outside of Austin. It was shown in a movie.

I'll think of these when I'm not on the board :eek:

twcpfan1
05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I went to C & J in College Station on Saturday for the first time ever. That was pretty darn good.

Firebird
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
I went to C & J in College Station on Saturday for the first time ever. That was pretty darn good.

Which one? I like them all better than Rudy's, but the metal building on Harvey is the best.

twcpfan1
05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Which one? I like them all better than Rudy's, but the metal building on Harvey is the best.

corner Wellborn and SW Parkway. You're right. While Rudy's is pretty good, I liked this one better. The unlimited whipped butter on the condiment table did it for me. :D

Fellow parents were all over College Station this past weekend moving our Freshmen out of their dorms.

TIGER BUD
05-07-2007, 06:33 PM
because the C&J's on Harvey uses areal pit

TIGER BUD
05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
there's a place on Hwy 6 North of waco headed towards Clifton about a mile b4 the city limits on the left cant remember the name but it's cheap and better than C&J's will ever be to bad you have to drive to Clifton

rangermum
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Don't have the restaurant YET, but my DP ribs and my pulled pork take the cake!!!!!

PaulinPlano
06-25-2007, 10:59 AM
my favorites are:

honorable mention:
New Braunfels Smokehouse
Ironworks BBQ-Austin
Blacks BBQ and Chisum Trail BBQ- LockhartBill Millers BBQ is not too bad if your really hungry...love the sweet tea
City Market-Luling...almost forgot that one..thanks to poster for bringing that one up..always love eating there during the Watermelon Thump

Went to Blacks yesterday for lunch while I was down south this weekend. It was a good lunch. The sausage was VERY good. Brisket was good. But the ribs were just OK. Kind of dissapointed overall. But I am glad I went. They had good sides excpet for the mash potatoes. Great sweet tea. Cherry cobbler was good. Very good BBQ sauce.

Of course we did try to go to City Market in Luling first, but they were closed!!!:mad: How do you close on the Sunday of the weekend of the Watermelon Thump!?:eek:

I heard at the little farmers market across the street that City Market ran out of BBQ Saturday by noon and had to close early!:eek:

TheBigPeach
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Feedstore in Southlake! :D

Redhoss
06-25-2007, 12:30 PM
The place I couldn't remember is Carl's on 290 near CyFair High.

CavDad, they are building a Rudy's at 45 and Louetta FYI. :D

twcpfan1
06-25-2007, 12:36 PM
The place I couldn't remember is Carl's on 290 near CyFair High.

CavDad, they are building a Rudy's at 45 and Louetta FYI. :D

excellent. Thanks for the info. There's actually a couple in The Woodlands that I haven't even tried yet.

big red & cujo
06-25-2007, 07:46 PM
what about dickeys. its some that are probobly better tnan that. but they are good to. i only had chop beef thought. i stoped there in corsiscana on the way back from waco. i went to the allen/round rock game. playoff time makes me gain weight. i gained 10 pds last post season.:D :mad: :( ;)

Redhoss
06-25-2007, 11:26 PM
excellent. Thanks for the info. There's actually a couple in The Woodlands that I haven't even tried yet.

My nephew was down from College Station this weekend and I showed Rudy's to him.
He said he had eaten at one already and it was good, so I'm looking forward to trying it once it's open. :D

Firebird
06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
I try to stay away from Rudy's as much as possible. I don't like to see chains come in because eventually they crowd out the little places that are nearly always better. Rudy's is a last-resort option. In B/CS C&J is where it's at. But it's worth the 30 minute drive to Giddings to eat at City Market, where they have the best ribs you've ever wrapped your lip around and superb sausage.

Here in Armenia, they make "khorovats"-- heavily spiced skewers of pork and lamb. They use cuts like pork chops, ribs,rib chops, and leg of lamb. You eat it with lavash, a flat-bread that is kind of a cross between a tortilla and a cracket. Accompaniments include fresh veggies, local cheeses, dolmas (grape leaves stuffed with various things), and for dessert cherries and apricots, which are in season now. I have to say, it is dang, dang good-- right up there with a beef brisket. Also, there is this stuff called "hatchapuri", which is kind of like pizza dough stuffed with cheese, with a two egg topping. It is SO freaking good. Caucasion cusine is excellent.

pack4life
06-28-2007, 02:29 AM
Any suggestions for the woodlands?

bullshark
07-27-2007, 06:58 AM
coopers in llano and mason hard 8 in brady lufkin bbq mikeskas harlons

twcpfan1
07-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Any suggestions for the woodlands?

Pack, I've never been to this one but I'v driven past it quite a few times. It's always packed. Here's some info on it. Maybe you can let me know what it's like.

Pit Master Barbecue Cafe

343 Sawdust Rd The Woodlands TX 77380 281.419.3644

You might also be interested in these:

Bar-B-Que Outdoor Dining ZIP 77380

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REVIEW: Excellent pulled pork. My husband and I relocated to Houston in January this year and have tried several barbecue places and this is by far the best. I had read reviews on the other restaurants and they were highly rated, we tried them and have not been back. Need I say more? I did not read a review on this one until afterwards. Pit Master is awesome. We are avid Bob G*ibson(Alabama) barbecue fans and this is as close as you can get to Bob's without driving to Alabama. We will definitely go back.

NAME: Southerner who knows good BBQ
SUBMITTED: 6/21/2007 LAST VISIT WAS: 06/2007
FREQUENCY: Visited once

MY REVIEW: Probably the best BBQ around here. I love everything I've had, my favorite is the Chopped beef, either in the baked potato or on the Jalepeno cheese roll. The baked beans and potato salad are awesome...

NAME: lindsey
SUBMITTED: 4/4/2007 LAST VISIT WAS: 4/4/07
FREQUENCY: Visited 4-6 times
MY REVIEW: I went there for lunch and the ribs, sausage, sliced beef, potato salad and beans were so awsome, I had to go back and get a take out order for dinner. The service is really great and don't forget to try the peach and berry cobbler, my wife loved both. This has to be the best barbeque I've ever eaten in Texas.

NAME: Very satisfied Customer
SUBMITTED: 3/24/2007 LAST VISIT WAS: 3/07
FREQUENCY: Visited 2-3 times
MY REVIEW: This is without a doubt the best barbeque place in Houston. I order for stay-in meetings and it's always a hit. Plus a group from work and I go on a regular basis. The pulled pork is excellent, the brisket is always lean and tender and they have the best sauce, heck, everything is great! I just wish one would open close to my house.

NAME: Texas TnT
SUBMITTED: 1/4/2007 LAST VISIT WAS: 1/03/2007
FREQUENCY: Everybody here knows my name...
MY REVIEW: Everything I have had here has been good; ribs, brisket, sausage. I like the stuffed potato with chopped brisket but I have also had the hamburgers and they are very good also. Save room for desert too their peach cobbler is great!

NAME: PD
SUBMITTED: 10/24/2006 LAST VISIT WAS: 10/06
MY REVIEW: This is the best bbq. The pulled pork is great, as well as, the chicken and brisket. Actually, I've never had anything bad here. I don't even like potato salad and I love theirs. The kids love the food here also. I recommended this to my mother-in-law and she loved it. And I would recommend itto everyone, not only is the food great but the service is also great.

NAME: TB
SUBMITTED: 6/14/2006 LAST VISIT WAS: May 2006

pack4life
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Appreciate the info bud, you were just about a month too late lol. But i'm going to have to try it out next time i'm down there.

SV61
07-27-2007, 03:30 PM
coopers in llano and mason hard 8 in brady lufkin bbq mikeskas harlons

Hit Good old Cooper's last Sunday. The one is Llano, to me, is the best. They have one in Mason, and one in Junction. I always hit the one in Juntion late in the day, and the Pork Chops are always as dry as two day old toast!

Anyway, hit the Llano Coopers (you want sauce on that? DUNK!). Got the staple Pork Chop (big), two brontosaurus ribs (beef actually), and a little bit of sausage. My total, BEFORE Tea, Apple cobbler, and corn on the cob???? $22.74!!!!! I spent $28.16 on LUNCH AT A BBQ JOINT. Oh, I did get the complimentary bowl of beans.:rolleyes:

I must admit, I could have used a LITTLE less meat, but honestly, I thought that my meat bill would have been about half that, looking at what was on my tray!

PaulinPlano
07-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Hit Good old Cooper's last Sunday. The one is Llano, to me, is the best. They have one in Mason, and one in Junction. I always hit the one in Juntion late in the day, and the Pork Chops are always as dry as two day old toast!

Anyway, hit the Llano Coopers (you want sauce on that? DUNK!). Got the staple Pork Chop (big), two brontosaurus ribs (beef actually), and a little bit of sausage. My total, BEFORE Tea, Apple cobbler, and corn on the cob???? $22.74!!!!! I spent $28.16 on LUNCH AT A BBQ JOINT. Oh, I did get the complimentary bowl of beans.:rolleyes:

I must admit, I could have used a LITTLE less meat, but honestly, I thought that my meat bill would have been about half that, looking at what was on my tray!

I have no problem with that!:)

twcpfan1
07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Appreciate the info bud, you were just about a month too late lol. But i'm going to have to try it out next time i'm down there.

I tried it today. The pulled pork was as good as what they said it was. I highly recommend it.

svhorns
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
County Line BBQ here in Austin

http://www.countyline.com/images/lake_water.jpg
http://www.countyline.com/images/deck2.jpg
http://www.countyline.com/images/austinlake.gif
http://www.countyline.com/images/hill%20front.jpg

Redhoss
07-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Been there, it's Goooooooooooooooooooood. :D

twcpfan1
07-31-2007, 10:56 PM

which one?

twcpfan1
09-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Just as an FYI. Rudy's opened up in Spring. At least the signs are all lit up. It's on the Northbound Feeder of I-45. For ex Ags, this info might be useful.

I would drive a little further north and go to Pit Master in The Woodlands though.

PaulinPlano
09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
County Line BBQ here in Austin

I will take the beef ribs please!!!:D

Slim-Rob
09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
IDK if the Salt Lick has been listed but it's good. Theres 2. One just outside of austin and one that is on town lake (i think. And didn't town lake get renamed?) Mayb it's on lake travis. IDK its on a some lake. I've been to both. I think the meat is all cooked at the original just outside of austin.

Mean DT
09-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Anybody else know of good places?Bill Miller in San Antone:D:D:D

SV61
09-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Bill Miller in San Antone:D:D:D

But for anything BUT their BBQ.

And I know that you jest!

They do got Daddy sweet Tea.

And Pies.

And Fried Chicken.

And Brownies.

DAMN YOU, MEAN DT, I am going to have to drive to San Antonio now, and get some fried Chicken and Apple Pie, with Sweet Tea!!!!!

Redhoss
09-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Bill Miller in San Antone:D:D:D

Been there, not bad. :D

Redhoss
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
I will take the beef ribs please!!!:D

Actually I've forgotten, there is a County Line in Houston on Cutten Rd.

SV61
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Actually I've forgotten, there is a County Line in Houston on Cutten Rd.

And a County Line, off of I-10 between Wurzbach and Huebner, in San Antonio.

1141brittmoore
09-26-2007, 05:15 PM

Central Texas BBQ is located near Hobby. The original is still being operated in Pearland since 1970 by the same family. Family photos under every glass table top. Its located just west of the rr tracks between Mykawa and 518. I can't say where the Hobby location is.

PaulinPlano
09-26-2007, 05:25 PM
IDK if the Salt Lick has been listed but it's good. Theres 2. One just outside of austin and one that is on town lake (i think. And didn't town lake get renamed?) Mayb it's on lake travis. IDK its on a some lake. I've been to both. I think the meat is all cooked at the original just outside of austin.

You said "what about Salt Lick" back in February!!!:D:D:D

dragonsdaddy
06-03-2009, 06:26 AM
i thoroughly enjoyed and reveled in my childhood with a late lunch at sammie's on belknap in ft worth yesterday. different decor, better grub, than i grew up with. worth getting off 121 at beach.

Fridayniteguy
06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I hate RUDY's. It's the BBQ equivalent of McDonalds. Dry brisket, boring sausage, overpriced gasoline.

Used to be some great BBQ in Taylor, best was Mueller's and in second place is one of the Mikeska (sp?) family locations.

County Line on the Lake is serviceable. Ribs, location, setting. Park your boat, walk in and get good food. Sauce is a little heavy.

Always liked the beef ribs in downtown Austin at Ironworks. Seems like it went downhill when that hideous convention center was built.

Don's BBQ at the Y in Oak Hill is pretty dang consistent.

5 Star BBQ in the Westlake area was very good, but no one went there....so its gone.

b756561
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
[quote=Fridayniteguy;1205150]

County Line on the Lake is serviceable. Ribs, location, setting. Park your boat, walk in and get good food. Sauce is a little heavy.

Always liked the beef ribs in downtown Austin at Ironworks. Seems like it went downhill when that hideous convention center was built.

You are so correct. I use to plan my passes through Austin to coincide with suppertime just so we could stop at the Ironworks. Today I just pass right on through. Of course I still stop in West every trip, coming and going.

mboys4lp
06-03-2009, 09:02 PM
In Austin, Ironworks, out of town and best around, the Cooper's in LLano (not the others), in Memphis for the guy who asked on 2007 the one with no sign that is fabulous is Rendevous (sp). In an alley and go early..ask at your hotel...also, Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is terrific. We are trying the New Zion church in Huntsville tomorrow before the LP Baseball playoff against College Park. I , being a Lufkinite and related to the Stringers, will always praise Lufkin BBQ. We have been eating ribs at Florida's Kitchen in Livingston on a regular basis as well....

EagleDude73
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
In Austin, Ironworks, out of town and best around, the Cooper's in LLano (not the others), in Memphis for the guy who asked on 2007 the one with no sign that is fabulous is Rendevous (sp). In an alley and go early..ask at your hotel...also, Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is terrific. We are trying the New Zion church in Huntsville tomorrow before the LP Baseball playoff against College Park. I , being a Lufkinite and related to the Stringers, will always praise Lufkin BBQ. We have been eating ribs at Florida's Kitchen in Livingston on a regular basis as well....

You have to try the Onion Rings at Florida's. Awesome. Also, the catfish is great and on Sunday's they have the buffet with homemade coconut pie, chocolate pie, banana pudding, lemon pie, etc. Some of the "local" church people stop by and sing southern gospel at times.

chhspantherfan
07-11-2011, 08:41 AM
lots of Rudy's references in this thread Stud, not so well thought of. I have only been to the one in Leon Springs, which was excellent. I will need to try out the local store.

E-Vol-ution
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
lots of Rudy's references in this thread Stud, not so well thought of. I have only been to the one in Leon Springs, which was excellent. I will need to try out the local store.

Wait till I cook for you guys.........:D

slcdragonfan
07-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I ate at Hard 8 in Stephenville, was very disappointed. The people in front of me talked about how 'juicy' the meat was. All I saw was grease and fat.

the one in Coppell was much better however.

I used to enjoy a place in LaGrange right on the square. Not sure if they are even there anymore and can't recall the name. We used to stop there on the way to Austin, get some slice brisket, then go up to the park commemorating the 'black bean' counting and eat. Nice.

Firebird
07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I ate at Hard 8 in Stephenville, was very disappointed. The people in front of me talked about how 'juicy' the meat was. All I saw was grease and fat.

the one in Coppell was much better however.

I used to enjoy a place in LaGrange right on the square. Not sure if they are even there anymore and can't recall the name. We used to stop there on the way to Austin, get some slice brisket, then go up to the park commemorating the 'black bean' counting and eat. Nice.

It's called Prause's Meat Market. You can go on a BBQ trail as you drive up US 77 from Victoria. Novosad's in Halletsville (best brisket, also an odd CenTex specialty in lamb ribs), Prause's in La Grange (best sausage), and Giddings City Market in Giddings (best ribs you have ever eaten). Every single stop will be A+ level barbecue. Afterwards, you won't be able to eat Rudy's the same way again.

- sTp -
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Growing up there was this BBQ joint we would stop by in North Brownsville on the way home from church that I remember being (maybe its mostly nostalgia at this point) the best I'd ever had, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Brisket was absolutely exquisite. And then top it off with sauce that tasted like Texas. Sadly, I think that place is long since gone, but I do remember the plastic cups the drinks came in. Had this mean looking Cowboy/Vaquero looking dude with a wide brimmed hat and a mustache. I'm gonna lose sleep over this, gotta call my bro and see if he remembers.

slcdragonfan
07-11-2011, 11:05 AM
It's called Prause's Meat Market. You can go on a BBQ trail as you drive up US 77 from Victoria. Novosad's in Halletsville (best brisket, also an odd CenTex specialty in lamb ribs), Prause's in La Grange (best sausage), and Giddings City Market in Giddings (best ribs you have ever eaten). Every single stop will be A+ level barbecue. Afterwards, you won't be able to eat Rudy's the same way again.

Absolutely correct, thank you!

This sounds like a trip I need to make with my Dad.

DrEdward
07-11-2011, 11:07 AM
If you ever find yourself in Richmond, Virginia, there are, well, there used to be (haven't been back for some time now), a place called Bill's BBQ near the corner of the Boulevard and Broad. Their minced sandwiches were great. Of course, it is pork back there, not beef. But for a cultural variation, give it a try.

Maroondog
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Hows the barbeque in Warszawa, Polska?

hunterbunter
07-11-2011, 01:32 PM
I can't believe NO ONE mentioned Joe Cotton's in Robbstown...They don't even give you a plate, just a sheet of wax paper to eat off of so you can go to town on their BBQ.

- sTp -
07-11-2011, 02:05 PM
I can't believe NO ONE mentioned Joe Cotton's in Robbstown...

Never been myself, but I've heard great things from everyone I know that has..

Stubb's here in Austin ain't bad neither..

chhspantherfan
07-11-2011, 02:06 PM
I can't believe NO ONE mentioned Joe Cotton's in Robbstown...They don't even give you a plate, just a sheet of wax paper to eat off of so you can go to town on their BBQ.

Elgin

chhspantherfan
07-11-2011, 02:07 PM
If you ever find yourself in Richmond, Virginia, there are, well, there used to be (haven't been back for some time now), a place called Bill's BBQ near the corner of the Boulevard and Broad. Their minced sandwiches were great. Of course, it is pork back there, not beef. But for a cultural variation, give it a try.

picked pig covered in cole slaw and vinegar sauce. absolutely awesome.

SV61
07-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Never been myself, but I've heard great things from everyone I know that has..

Stubb's here in Austin ain't bad neither..

I LOVE their marinades. Chicken, pork, and beef. They got a new one (Steak Marinade). I still grill the steak. But after letting it soak in that stuff for a few hours, it was SOOOO tender.

Moppin sauce ain't bad, but like mine better.

drgnbkr
07-11-2011, 02:29 PM

Had my wedding rehearsal dinner there (years ago)....Good stuff for the Coastal Bend area!

Favpack
07-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Hows the barbeque in Warszawa, Polska?

Don't kick a man when he's in country.

:D

Firebird
07-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Joe Cottens (that's how you spelled it) was highly decent, but it burned to the ground a few years back.

drgnbkr
07-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Leon Springs is the original that was created by Phil Romano..Who started Macaroni Grill, Nacho Mama's, Eatzi's and other spots..Sold most to Brinker, Inc. (Chili's)

- sTp -
07-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Joe Cottens (that's how you spelled it) was highly decent, but it burned to the ground a few years back.

:confused: My bro and I sailed past it on the way down to the valley earlier this year.. coulda swore it looked just the same.. then again it was night time..

hunterbunter
07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
Elgin

Bless you.

drgnbkr
07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
:confused: My bro and I sailed past it on the way down to the valley earlier this year.. coulda swore it looked just the same.. then again it was night time..

There's not much in Robstown...It would be hard to miss.

SV61
07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Joe Cottens (that's how you spelled it) was highly decent, but it burned to the ground a few months back.

http://www.caller.com/news/2011/mar/02/joe-cottens-bbq/

drgnbkr
07-11-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.caller.com/news/2011/mar/02/joe-cottens-bbq/

Sad, sad, sad....Hope they are able to rebuild. I would have to say there is no reason to go to Robstown without Cotten's.:(

hunterbunter
07-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Had my wedding rehearsal dinner there (years ago)....Good stuff for the Coastal Bend area!

Aaahhhh a drive down memory lane...good stuff.

- sTp -
07-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Well then, I guess our trip was in February..

chhspantherfan
07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Bless you.

some of the best food in the world. any world. out of this world.

mojotrain
07-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Not speaking of the BBQ in GOA but there is a place in Brady. I don't recall the name. Anyone?

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 06:39 AM
Not speaking of the BBQ in GOA but there is a place in Brady. I don't recall the name. Anyone?

Hard 8 or Mac's

mike03car
07-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Joe Allens - Abilene

Way back from the start of the thread. Looked them up. http://www.joeallens.com/ Sounds great. As most know, I just joined the boards last year, wish I seen the thread earlier and knew about this place; they're practically on the way to Shotwell from many areas in town.

I lived in Abilene for only three years during high school before going off to my own career and have been back less than three years, but I am pretty sure I've noticed this restaurant nearby Catfish Corner when it used to be open. Anyways, looks like an addition to my "go there" list.

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Way back from the start of the thread. Looked them up. http://www.joeallens.com/ Sounds great. As most know, I just joined the boards last year, wish I seen the thread earlier and knew about this place; they're practically on the way to Shotwell from many areas in town.

excellent food! I go there everytime I am in Abilene. The bowl of meat and beans with cornbread hits the spot for me!

mike03car
07-12-2011, 07:12 AM
I am working out of Ft Hood (killeen, C Cove, temple, belton, H Heights) for until another out of state several week business trip near the end of the month; any suggestions for this area?

thestud
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM

I lived in Abilene for only three years during high school before going off to my own career and have been back less than three years, but I am pretty sure I've noticed this restaurant nearby Catfish Corner when it used to be open. Anyways, looks like an addition to my "go there" list.

Joe Allen's is a shell of it's former self, but it's still damn good bbq. He moved locations about 5 years ago and alot of the traditionalist die hard Joe Allen-ites hated him for it and they're the main people who talk crap about it. Don't listen, that place is still out of this world good and I make it a point to stop and see Josh and grab brisket sandwich everytime I'm in town. Some will also tell you the service sucks, and well yeah but it's a bbq restaurant so unwad your undies and chill. It's good food and you're missing out if you don't eat there several times a month. Eating nywhere else is in Abilene is blasphemy

thestud
07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
excellent food! I go there everytime I am in Abilene. The bowl of meat and beans with cornbread hits the spot for me!

I hope you use the jalapeno cornbread...

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 08:19 AM
I hope you use the jalapeno cornbread...

also love the rolls and sop everything in the bottom of the bowl......am going to have to find me some good lunch today!!!

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
I am working out of Ft Hood (killeen, C Cove, temple, belton, H Heights) for until another out of state several week business trip near the end of the month; any suggestions for this area?

when i get that far south and want bbq, i head to the other side of 35;) Elgin, Taylor, Lockhart, etc.......

SV61
07-12-2011, 08:45 AM
when i get that far south and want bbq, i head to the other side of 35;) Elgin, Taylor, Lockhart, etc.......

Don't think it's all that far to Llano either. Nice drive also. 190 to 281 to 29 Burnet to Llano is a nice drive, even if all the lakes are dried up.

Something to do one morning.

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 09:59 AM
Don't think it's all that far to Llano either. Nice drive also. 190 to 281 to 29 Burnet to Llano is a nice drive, even if all the lakes are dried up.

Something to do one morning.

you are right about that, great morning drive.

mojotrain
07-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Hard 8 or Mac's

I think it is Mac's. In Odessa I'd just as soon go to heb's and buy a pre sliced, pre cooked briskit, heat it up on the grill and put my own sauce on it. A decent place here is Johnny's on the west side of town but I don't do the west side.

Rudy's in Del Rio is good.

chhspantherfan
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I think it is Mac's. In Odessa I'd just as soon go to heb's and buy a pre sliced, pre cooked briskit, heat it up on the grill and put my own sauce on it. A decent place here is Johnny's on the west side of town but I don't do the west side.

Rudy's in Del Rio is good.

:rofl:

mike03car
07-12-2011, 01:05 PM
i like dicky's.

I know it's a national chain, but my first experience with them was with the San Angelo store late last year. Good food, cozy old time atmosphere. O M G the most stellar bbq sauce - to ME - I have EVER had. I bought a bottle and am saving it for a special cookout.

pied
07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Was in Memphis, to and from eastern TN the past two Saturdays. Hit up two great places

Central BBQ on the way up:

http://tomdouglas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/memphis-central-bbq-ribs.jpg

http://cbqmemphis.com/

and the Germantown Commissary on the way back:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3634149585_3d5e5623b4.jpg

http://www.commissarybbq.com/

Very good stuff...

TrojanHorse03
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
It was 11 years ago but if you're going through Kansas, Gates Bar-B-Que in Leakwood was worth stopping for.

chhspantherfan
07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Was in Memphis, to and from eastern TN the past two Saturdays. Hit up two great places

Central BBQ on the way up:

http://tomdouglas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/memphis-central-bbq-ribs.jpg

those greens look great!!

SV61
07-14-2011, 02:05 PM
those greens look great!!

Is you crazy??????

"Seein the greens" in that picture, is like noticing Rosie O'Donnel in the background of a Carmen Electra pic.

chhspantherfan
07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Is you crazy??????

"Seein the greens" in that picture, is like noticing Rosie O'Donnel in the background of a Carmen Electra pic.

BS brother, there is nothing more righteous than a rack of ribs and a big helping of collard greens cooked in bacon fat with some pepper sauce.

SV61
07-14-2011, 02:13 PM
BS brother, there is nothing more righteous than a rack of ribs and a big helping of collard greens cooked in bacon fat with some pepper sauce.

;)

LOL

I just honestly can not remember anything about ANY sides, when I turn carnivore and head somewhere for Real Q.

Bread is even optional at that point. If it is the vehicle, to get meat to my mouth, then so be it.

Beans, potato salad, cole slaw, green beans, pickles, onions? Just filler, gettin in the way.

pied
07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
I got the beans/cole slaw. They do bring a deviled egg, but that's not my style. Think someone got the greens and I can ask them their opinion.
Ribs at both places were great. Ordered them dry.

The Commissarry had a great spice rub to use in addition to a couple of sauces. Good places along with Corky's and Rendevouz where we ate last year on the same drive.

yankee
07-14-2011, 02:25 PM
County Line in ATX is the best I've ever had.

SV61
07-14-2011, 02:33 PM
County Line in ATX is the best I've ever had.

County Line's Beef Ribs are really pretty good.

They actually know a thing or two about a decent steak. Grilled, mind you.

chhspantherfan
07-14-2011, 03:55 PM
County Line's Beef Ribs are really pretty good.

They actually know a thing or two about a decent steak. Grilled, mind you.

If you are going to go down that road then eat lunch at Joe Allen's and have BBQ and then drive out to Buffalo Gap and have a grilled steak at Perrinni Ranch:D

mojotrain
07-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Is you crazy??????

Greens is good!

Mong Hu
07-15-2011, 12:25 AM
When I moved up north I encountered a BBQ sauce called Sweet Baby Rays. I love the stuff. They didn't have it in Texas at the time. I think it is the best BBQ sauce that at least I have come across in a store. Do they have it in Texas these days and are there any other store bought sauces that any one on the board would recommend?

mike03car
07-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Is you crazy??????

segzy commercial (Lectric Shave).

SV61
07-15-2011, 09:12 AM
segzy commercial (Lectric Shave).

Schaaa

Wing.

And just remember,

Just because you are on a diet, does NOT mean that you can't look at the menu.......

Maroondog
07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
When I moved up north I encountered a BBQ sauce called Sweet Baby Rays. I love the stuff. They didn't have it in Texas at the time. I think it is the best BBQ sauce that at least I have come across in a store. Do they have it in Texas these days and are there any other store bought sauces that any one on the board would recommend?

Its in all the stores here now.

I can never find a store bought sauce that has it all. My sister in law has devised a formula where she combines 3-4 different ones and has come up with a killer sauce.

Problem is, she won't tell me the recipe.

SV61
07-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Its in all the stores here now.

I can never find a store bought sauce that has it all. My sister in law has devised a formula where she combines 3-4 different ones and has come up with a killer sauce.

Problem is, she won't tell me the recipe.

You'd be surprised what you can come up with, using Kraft's original as the "base".

Add some Jalapeno juice, a few oranges and lemons, maybe some garlic, some Worscestershire, black pepper, whateverelseyoucanfindinyourfridge...........

Maroondog
07-15-2011, 11:39 AM
You'd be surprised what you can come up with, using Kraft's original as the "base".

Add some Jalapeno juice, a few oranges and lemons, maybe some garlic, some Worscestershire, black pepper, whateverelseyoucanfindinyourfridge...........

Problem is, I'd probably come up with a few good combinations but never really be satisfied with the result.

The never ending quest for the perfect sauce would drive me even further insane. :D

- sTp -
07-15-2011, 12:13 PM

All of this! The bro rolls his eyes and turns his nose up as soon as I bring up the Kraft, but for me, this is a very good base to start with. Well rounded, not too much of any one flavor, and very consistent. Then, depending on your preferences, you can add whatever extra stuff you like.. build your own BBQ sauce! (make sure to write down whatever you add and how much just in case you hit the nail squarely on the head)

chhspantherfan
09-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Is you crazy??????

;)

SV61
09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
;)

LOL!

Update: Hit the County Line in SA the other night for birthday. Had the Rib plate. They still make a great Beef Rib there.

However, I would challenge them to the Beef Ribs that I had at the Coopers in New Braunfels. Those ribs, tasted JUST like a ribeye steak. I'll have to go and re-evaluate the Cooper's NB. It's just so dang hard, NOT to get the Pork Chop when I go to Cooper's!

drgnbkr
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Luling City Market

maxtor
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Dickies has the best BBQ period. Seriously. They do it up right. They smoke their meat in a commercial smoker for an hour and then put it into an oven to make it tasteless and mushy. Then you some of that commercial corn syrup based sauce with that artificial smoke flavor and YUM!
And on the side you get some of that corn on the cob floating in artificial butter flavored corn water with some of those green beans out of a can on the side.
'MMMMMM'

p.s. ANY bbq place that uses corn syrup based sauce sucks. Period. End of story.

slorch
09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
The never ending quest for the perfect sauce would drive me even further insane. :D

the perfect meat needs no sauce.

slorch
09-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Luling City Market

City Market of Luling is correct.

(Luling City Market is in Houston and is not the same place)

Dawg Fan
09-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Luling City Market

+1

love the dry rings and that yellow BBQ sauce!!!!