PDA

View Full Version : Former All State RB Edward Britton arrested

TexasHSFootball
04-26-2005, 12:24 PM
This is just beyond me. He was caught shoplifdting at an El Paso area Wal Mart. Why some kids never learn is just mind boggling. Now I wonder what effects it will have on his scholarship at Texas Tech.

http://www.texashsfootball.com/news/april05/brittonarrested26.htm

CoppellCowboy57
04-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Once again its a shame that students learn anything from what there coachs teach them in high school...Its makes there college look bad, there high school look bad, and Texas High School football look bad

LPMOM
04-27-2005, 12:13 AM
he without sin please post the next negitive reply. i'm not condoning his wrong behavior but there are many, many 17 yr. olds that make the same mistake. the difference is that they're not football stars and didn't make the news. give him a chance to redeem himself. he just might be able to pull himself togather.

mtbray
04-27-2005, 02:01 AM
I blame his parents.

owldog
04-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I am SO glad he got caught. It does sound like this is a "slip" of character; he tried something and got caught. (Most teenagers do) I hope and think he will not do this again.

That is one prayer our children wished we did not pray (if the kids do something illegal or make bad choices, in college please make sure they get caught)

TexasHSFootball
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
well the day after the story gets in the media...
http://www.texashsfootball.com/news/april05/brittonapologizes27.htm

Britton apologized on local TV and radio

Thor
04-27-2005, 12:25 PM
LPMOM
From what I understand this young MAN(17 years old) knows the diffrence between right and wrong. I think he probably knows that its wrong to steal from WAL MART. Much less steal from anyone. Yes , I sin but I dont steal or shop lift of any kind. This kid from what I read on this thread is going on a full ride to Texas Tech. A place that I pay thousands of $$ a year for my daughter to get a college education. She also WORKS at a JOB to HELP.

I have NO sympathy for this young MAN and I think Texas Tech should reconsider their offer. Bring in an HONEST athelte that doesnt think everything in life is for his/her taking. One that practices ethics on and off the field. One that will represent Texas Tech well , even at WAL MART

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-27-2005, 12:30 PM
LPMOM
From what I understand this young MAN(17 years old) knows the diffrence between right and wrong. I think he probably knows that its wrong to steal from WAL MART. Much less steal from anyone. Yes , I sin but I dont steal or shop lift of any kind. This kid from what I read on this thread is going on a full ride to Texas Tech. A place that I pay thousands of $$ a year for my daughter to get a college education. She also WORKS at a JOB to HELP.

I have NO sympathy for this young MAN and I think Texas Tech should reconsider their offer. Bring in an HONEST athelte that doesnt think everything in life is for his/her taking. One that practices ethics on and off the field. One that will represent Texas Tech well , even at WAL MART
Aww give him a break, he's only a kid. I've stole stuff before from K-Mart and you see where i'm at now right? (USAF). Give him a chance.

owldog
04-27-2005, 12:34 PM
From what I have read this 17 year old usually does represent himself well. I do believe in 2nd chances. He will now have to be very careful and live above reproach because the littlest thing will have him kicked out of school and he will lose his scholarship which is as it should be.

pack0808
04-27-2005, 04:18 PM
hey i robbed about 10 okay food stores and a motel 6 and i am now a 5a texasfootball.com hall of famer. see anybody can make it if i can. ;)

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
pack, you are awfully young to be such a hardened criminal. your dad would be so proud of you.

pack0808
04-27-2005, 04:21 PM
:D ddaddy, i got started real young.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
:D ddaddy, i got started real young.
LMAO! ha ha ha ha! :D :D

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
did you atake the short bus to the store to commit these crimes?

LPMOM
04-28-2005, 12:21 AM
hey i robbed about 10 okay food stores and a motel 6 and i am now a 5a texasfootball.com hall of famer. see anybody can make it if i can. ;)

hmmm.... maybe i should call lufkin crime stoppers and see if there is a reward? :D

Thor
04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
I get 1/2 LPMOM
I help bring him out of hiding...

wide-e-wide
04-28-2005, 08:12 AM

What are you doing?...Dude they didn't know that was us that hit Motel 6...shut up! Next thing you know you'll be running your mouth about us knocking over Budgie's back in '86. Remind me to never rob anything with you again...

PantherPack
04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Hahah funny you should say that Pack08. When I was younger I'd make those late night trips to 7-11 and stash a few items in the pocket. Stupid because I had the money for um I just did it for the heck of it. Kids do stupid things, give this guy a second chance.

Thor
04-28-2005, 09:39 AM
I would overlook something like this from a 14 year old or maybe a 15 years old. Lets say peer presure , girls, the bad boy thing. Just stupid age that doesnt think. But this kind is 17 years old , almost has his HS diploma and is about to go off to college. You all know that at this age we all know the diffrence between right and wrong. And he chose WRONG , there is no excuse for what he did . There are sooo many 17 year old kids in Texas that probaly have just as much talent that would have made to right choice. That will be working their butts off this summer to help pay for their college. Or maybe not even going to college . Maybe working at Wal Mart security catching college bound football players ripping off product.

pack0808
04-28-2005, 10:27 AM
lol wideewide i will be quiet. to be honest the only time i ever stole was when i was a kid when i stole a few candy bars a few different times at a convenience store. yes it was budgies which is now pals video wide!! lol i got caught the 3rd time and was completely embarrassed and that was the end of my criminal career. :) i think i was about 10?? i do not know why i did it?? i could get money from my parents when i wanted to buy a freaking snicker. :D for the thrill i guess. i am such a hardened criminal as you guys can see.

wide-e-wide
04-28-2005, 10:40 AM
Funny you should say "Snickers" I was just about to ask you if you
remembered that...Snickers and maybe some baseball cards, or some Big League chew...OMG we were stupid...what was a candy bar back then?...35 cents?...

pack0808
04-28-2005, 10:59 AM
what was that gum that probably got me at least a couple of cavity's?? was it zappers wide?? sour sour gum with crystals filled with sugar is all i remember?? remember when we used to sneak out or skip school just to go hang out at budgies or play some b-ball?? lol what the heck??

wide-e-wide
04-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Aww yeah...hangin' out at Budgie's and trying to be Michael Jordan on a
8 foot goal...that didn't belong to either one of us...that was funny!

I'm off to Lufkin for the weekend...holler at 'yall next week...

LarryFine
04-28-2005, 02:37 PM
he without sin please post the next negitive reply.

I struggle with sin daily just like the next guy. I don't ever seem to get away with the results though. Neither will Edward. Part of that is this thread and that is human nature. Edward knew what he was doing and what the cost was if he got caught.

Also, the guy you are loosely quoting is also said to be planning a trip back to judge the living and the dead. (Read 1st Peter 4, among others) Jesus never said you don't suffer from your sin. Sorry, it always bothers me when people misquote Jesus in effort to get away with sin.

I don't know if Tech will drop his ship. I imagine that depends on the courts. If Edward gets jail time, he will lose his ship. I don't know the $ value of his ship, but conservatively estimate $10,000 a year. It is probably closer to $20,000 a year.

I am a Red Raider, and if he does play at Tech, I will cheer for him like everyone else playing for the Red Raiders.

NewSherriffInTown
04-28-2005, 02:51 PM
LPMOM

I think this was a very good post. "Without Sin??" All of us sin...but most of us here aren't trying to steal things from a Wal-Mart. I didn't read the story, but I bet it was something he didn't need at all. Kids who think they are above everything will do things just to see if they can get away with it.

owldog
04-28-2005, 05:17 PM
EXACTLY, He tried to see what he could get a way he didn't thank god and I hope he learned his lesson.

Hopefully this is a life changing decision he is not as HOT as he thought he was and he cannot get away with everything. He will have to go back to living the right way and doing the best he can with the ability he was given my his savior.

Wreck em Tech.

MHS_Ram
04-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I played with Britton, what he did was very, VERY, stupid. But even so I would give him a second chance. All teens and high school kids do very stupid things, what makes it worse was that he was a football star. You know what would have happened if it was just some 17 year old? He would have been arrested the same way and his parents would be pissed, but thats it. Britton does it and its on the cover of the sports section, and he has to apologize on both radio and TV. It is very stupid, he made a bad mistake, but it is not like he commited a very serious crime.

And to those who wondered what he stole, it was either a couple of $100 dollar MP3 players, or MP3 players that all together value $100. I think it was the second one but am not totally sure.

LPMOM
04-29-2005, 01:25 AM
he without sin please post the next negitive reply.

I struggle with sin daily just like the next guy. I don't ever seem to get away with the results though. Neither will Edward. Part of that is this thread and that is human nature. Edward knew what he was doing and what the cost was if he got caught.

Also, the guy you are loosely quoting is also said to be planning a trip back to judge the living and the dead. (Read 1st Peter 4, among others) Jesus never said you don't suffer from your sin. Sorry, it always bothers me when people misquote Jesus in effort to get away with sin.

I don't know if Tech will drop his ship. I imagine that depends on the courts. If Edward gets jail time, he will lose his ship. I don't know the $ value of his ship, but conservatively estimate $10,000 a year. It is probably closer to $20,000 a year.

I am a Red Raider, and if he does play at Tech, I will cheer for him like everyone else playing for the Red Raiders.

i never said he should be allowed to get away with stealing ("sin")without some type of consequence.AND i did not loosely misquote Jesus. if you read the first couple of post they were just a little bit to strong in their wording. i always have and always will be a big defender of our young men (and ladies). a little mercy helps sometimes.

p.s. THOR, what you gonna do with your half of the money?

Thor
04-29-2005, 03:38 PM
i never said he should be allowed to get away with stealing ("sin")without some type of consequence.AND i did not loosely misquote Jesus. if you read the first couple of post they were just a little bit to strong in their wording. i always have and always will be a big defender of our young men (and ladies). a little mercy helps sometimes.

p.s. THOR, what you gonna do with your half of the money?

I will donate it to my sons booster club of course

Shoot2thrill
04-29-2005, 07:53 PM
I played with Britton, what he did was very, VERY, stupid. But even so I would give him a second chance. All teens and high school kids do very stupid things, what makes it worse was that he was a football star. You know what would have happened if it was just some 17 year old? He would have been arrested the same way and his parents would be pissed, but thats it. Britton does it and its on the cover of the sports section, and he has to apologize on both radio and TV. It is very stupid, he made a bad mistake, but it is not like he commited a very serious crime.

And to those who wondered what he stole, it was either a couple of $100 dollar MP3 players, or MP3 players that all together value $100. I think it was the second one but am not totally sure.

Welcome MHS Ram! We don't get many (or any) El Paso forum posters. While I may show up as a newbie on this site, I actually posted on the old board under another name. I don't remember anyone from EP. I may be wrong. Do you have anyone coming up the ranks to at least try and fill Britton's shoes? :cool:

MHS_Ram
04-29-2005, 10:35 PM
We got 2 guys that are really good and could do a very good job. One is Anthony Beltran who saw limited action behind Britton last year. Another is Cordero Cooke, he played corner last year because of the depth at RB but is really good. He came from a school in the Dallas area (it wasn't a big school, 4A or 3A i think) a year or 2 ago. He started over there as a freshman on Varsity but that wasnt the case over here. He has a really good chance, he has been having a good spring so far.