PDA

View Full Version : Victoria Memorial

SoCal Coach
04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
Sorry if this school isn't 5A. Can anybody please supply any info on this team? The type of program they have, coaching staff, community support. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

supercentex
04-25-2005, 10:05 PM
They are 5-A. One of the largest in 5-A with close to 5,000 students. That's about all I know.

LP-79
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
School has 3800 students, Senior and Juniors on one campus, freshmen and sophs. on another. All I could find out because their website is down for construction.

supercentex
04-25-2005, 11:15 PM
UIL has them listed at 4,115 students.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2004align/pdf/5A_EnrollmentData.pdf

Texasfrog
04-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Victoria used to have 2 high schools (5A) and (4A). About 5 years ago they combined them and made one pretty large (5A). I think they have about 4,000 students.

They have a fairly large hispanic population. I think the racial profile is about:

50% hispanic
30% white
20% Black

Those are ballpark #'s.

They put together a pretty good team about once every 3 years that makes it a few rounds into the playoffs and then gets smoked by someone.

Most years they usually have a couple of kids sign D-1A. They do have some pretty good quality athletes.

They support their football in Victoria. One of the reasons they combined High schools was to boost up their athletic programs.

The first game as a combined High school was in the AlamoDome (Texas Kickoff Classic) against Midland Lee. Victoria Memorial gave Midland Lee a pretty good game until late in the 4th quarter. Midland Lee won the game like 35-25. Midland Lee also won State that year.

PS. If you like to deer hunt there is some dang good deer hunting in the region.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 02:00 AM
Victoria Memorial, is a 5A DI school, meaning they are a larger classification school, they are mosty White, but have their fair share of Hispanics and African American kids, they have good athletes and are truelly a program on the rise, this past season they went 4-6, they played a TUFF preseason schedule filled with what LOOKED like some of the top programs in the state......SA Marshall, Pearland, SA Clark and Houston's Cy fair amongst others, i beleive they lost all of those games, but came back and won their district......they made the playoffs and met SA O'Connor (which i believe was ranked in the top 10 teams in the state) in the 1st rd of the playoffs, Victoria was actually in control of that game but wound up losing in a heartbreaker, i think the score was like 17-14 (I THINK, I COULD BE WRONG), Victoria is actuallly one of the favorites in 5A Division I to win Region 4, other notable teams in Division I for Region 4 are, Converse Judson, SA O'Connor and Harlingen.........Victoria is a program on the rise and is 1 to watch over the next several years....

Red Rage 00 can tell you alot more about them........

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 02:03 AM
oh, they have great community support, back when there was 2 schools, Victoria High (the Stingerees) were actually a pretty good team and were constantly in contention for the regional title and were a force to be reconed with in the playoffs, the folks in Victoria love their football and are use to having good teams....only lately since they lost their old HeadCoach to 3A POWERHOUSE Cuero, have they fallen off.....Victoria Stoman was the other school, they were just about HORRIBLE in 4A.....

SoCal Coach
04-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Hey guys I really appreciate all of the help. The reason I was asking is because I know the head coach is from California, and I was told he is a little more open to bringing in California coaches moreso than others. The only other question I would have is how is the area and the surrounding area? Again, thanks for all your help.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 03:25 AM
this is how they did last season

VICTORIA MEMORIAL Vipers
(Black/Silver/Blue)
AUG 28 CYPRESS FAIRBANKS H 0-1 07-23
SEP 03 SA MARSHALL H 0-2 03-16
SEP 10 SA CLARK A 0-3 14-50
SEP 17 PEARLAND A 0-4 22-28(ot)
SEP 24 DICKINSON A 1-4 41-15
OCT 01 OPEN X 1-4 00-00
OCT 08 *CC KING H 2-4 20-07
OCT 16 *CC MOODY A 2-5 21-24
OCT 22 *CC MILLER H 3-5 57-02
OCT 29 *CC CARROLL A 4-5 40-31
NOV 05 *CC RAY H 4-6 00-10

the surrounding area is pretty nice i guess, its not the best in Texas, but i certainly is not the worst, Victoria lies in the Coastal Bend, North of Corpus Christi not directly on the Gulf of Mexico, but near enough.......there is plenty of good football out there on the SouthEast end of texas, i'll try to find out somemore...... if you are interested in the Victoria Memorial job, or any other job in Texas, we would love to have you, you'd love texas....i think you said you already lived here once.....but Texas HS football is by far the best..... :)

supercentex
04-26-2005, 06:54 AM
What team wouldn't be able to win that district?

Their non-district schedule was tougher than their district schedule.

Should kind of tell you something when a 5-A coach leaves for 3-A.

Sting2Viper
04-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Coach Reeve left Victoria High before consolidation to take the head coaching position at Plano West which had just started up. He was there for about 3 or 4 years then wanted to get back in this area and found that opportunity at Cuero.

In 1999, the school board voted 4-3 to consolidate Victoria High and Stroman High Schools. The reason we were told was both schools had to be racially equal to receive state funding. Victoria is progressing and developing more on the north side. Malls, new subdivisions, new businesses etc. So kids on that side of town would go Victoria High. But Stroman always got the bad rap as the school on the other side of the tracks. But they had plenty of school spirit and tradition. Found out from friends in real estate that property owners on the south side had some influence on that decision because they weren't able to develop and sell their properties because most people wanted to be in Victoria High district. So with consolidation, no matter where you lived, you would go to the same school. But neither side wanted consolidation. So two great traditions came to an end due to 4 board members who sold out.

So moving on, its new name, same game. Victoria is a great place to live and work.

Coach Campbell has the program going in the right direction. The boys are looking forward to this upcoming season. Just started spring training and will have their Black-White spring game on May 21. Returning 9 starters on offense and 4 on defense. Massive line and speed. Will probably the best team in Memorial's existence.

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM

28-5A is not all that bad, they are just inconsistant, CC Carrol is probably the most competative team in that District and they have not had a good season since 2000, Moody is really up and down, so is Ray, its not that they are weak, there are plenty of great athletes from the area, but the inconsistancy of the 5A teams there make them want to go to 4A Calallen or Gregory Portland or even 3A Sinton and Cuero.....if there was truelly no talent in the Coastal Bend region of texas, why would all 4 of those sub 5A teams be so successful that they are ranked high in state every year?????

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Coach Campbell has the program going in the right direction. The boys are looking forward to this upcoming season. Just started spring training and will have their Black-White spring game on May 21. Returning 9 starters on offense and 4 on defense. Massive line and speed. Will probably the best team in Memorial's existence.
i totally agree, i think the Vipers are really a team on the rise, they have some great talent at that school and i cant wait to see if they can dethrown the SA area schools from the Region 4 kings.....

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Dude, learn your facts before you open your mouth....Coach Reeves left Victoria after the 1998 season for Plano West and was their first coach at PW. He went to Cuero from PW. He did not leave Victoria(5A) for Cuero(3A). I forgot, Waco is just a state power with about 10 state titles in the last decade!

About Victoria...yes, the head coach is from California and he has several coaches on his staff that are from California as well. I agree that things haven't been the same since Coach Reeves left Victoria. He built the Victoria program from a district doormat to a district power and Victoria was always in at least the 3rd round every year of the playoffs but would usually lose to a SA school (with the exception of 1993 when they won Region IV). Their biggest year was 1993 when they went 14-1 and lost to Aldine MacArthur 20-7 in the state semi's. Also, from 1993-1999 they controlled the CC district winning that district every year and had a 41 game district winning streak at that time. But as SuperCenTex has stated, the CC district is not very tough. Victoria won the district easily those years. We were very lucky that Waco wasn't in our district.... :rolleyes:

The Vipers first head coach simply should not have been head coach of any team, which is why he is back to being a defensive coach at El Campo. Coach Condra was a nice guy (he was my PE Coach) but just did not have what it took to be head coach...He was nothing like Reeve. It showed on the field...The Vipers had excellent players those years but could never capitalize on it. Condra finally left for El Campo when he realized that everyone in Victoria was beginning to want a new coach.

They hired Coach Campbell and I think he will have them on the right track this year. They went 4-7 last season with a very young team and lost to SA Oconnor 45-21 in the first round. They actually lead late in the third quarter but things simply fell apart and Oconnor was able to roll in the 4th, which is why the score was so lopsided. One bad quarter was all it took. The JV team did really well last season (my nephew was the QB). They lost their first 2 games only to roll to wins in the next 8. They won district and outscored all 5 Corpus teams by a total of 222-22 which I thought was pretty good. They should be a whole lot better this year with more experience out there. A lot of their mistakes were simply from inexperienced players. But I still don't think we'll beat the defending "International" Champions, Waco Lions!

Victoria had 2 high schools...Victoria and Victoria Stroman and both were 5A schools before they consolidated in Fall of 2000. The state recommended that something be done because VHS was mostly white and Stroman was mostly minority and stupid VISD decided to consolidate (and now they want to deconsolidate..dumb!). Anyway, the UIL states 4000+ students but its really around 3400. The racial mix of Victoria is mostly white, with hispanics at 2nd.

All in all, I think Victoria is a pretty nice place to live. A lot better than Waco. People in Victoria have class.....

Anything else you wanna know....just ask.....

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 02:03 PM
i knew RedRage would chime in after a while......good job Rage, i love the everso slight bashings on Waco....supercentex obviously doesnt knwo what he was talking about.....lets not forget, Waco did beat Calallen this past season......oh wait, Calallen had a really bad season, so i guess it's kinda like SO WHAT!!!!!! yeah i'd rather play at Victoria than at Waco anyday...

viper06
04-26-2005, 02:33 PM
i play at memorial and would be happy to answer any questions

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
i knew RedRage would chime in after a while......good job Rage, i love the everso slight bashings on Waco....supercentex obviously doesnt knwo what he was talking about.....lets not forget, Waco did beat Calallen this past season......oh wait, Calallen had a really bad season, so i guess it's kinda like SO WHAT!!!!!! yeah i'd rather play at Victoria than at Waco anyday...

Yeah, I just don't like when someone comes in acting like they know the entire situation when they really don't have a clue what's going on.

You don't see me commenting on anything happening in Lufkin Land because obviously I've never lived or been there so I can't really say much about them.

Oh, the Viper Website is down until the next school year...they are doing a massive update. It'll be worth it though.....

Whether Victoria goes 0-10 or 10-0 I'll still be a fan.....you can't just diss the town you grew up in :)

Victoria will have multiple schools one day and I plan on supporting all of them.

GO VIPERS!

supercentex
04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
First of all...I did not know about Plano West......or Victoria for that matter (like they ever do anything anyway).
The guy above said that he left Victoria and now coaching at 3-A Cuero...he did not say.......he left Victoria to go to Plano West and is now at Cuero.

Any team from Region 2 that makes the playoffs could go down to Region 4 and dominate. Sorry, it's just that weak. With the exception of Converse Judson, Smithson Valley, and a few others.

Victoria Memorial beating Waco High? Yeah right..you need to get a grip. You guys are Converse Judson's step-child.

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Who said anything about us beating Waco....I didn't

You say Victoria hasn't done anything...same could be said for Waco bud....what has Waco done lately? They make the playoffs then CHOKE like always real early!

Waco controls the DISTRICT and thats it...they can't get past anyone good come playoff time. Didn't Waco not even win the district in 04?

You just had to come in here and ruin this thread with your hate....no one was talking smack until you came in with your .02 cents

So, do yall think yall will repeat as All-Galaxy International Champions? :p

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
anyway, I'll argue with you later....I'm leaving work now :D

supercentex
04-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Waco has surely done alot better than Victoria Memorial in the playoffs...and we beat some of the state's elite teams (every year)..... (that no one really thinks we should be winning) and being one of the state's smallest 5-A schools.

At least we make the playoffs almost every year in a pretty tough and competitive district.

There are over 240 5-A schools in Texas...........the percentages in going each round in the playoffs the changes shrink more and more.

Just because we didn't make the playoffs one year in what? 13 years.....doesn't mean we are a bad program.

At least we have the ability to beat a team like Converse Judson.......

But, things could change for VM.....who knows...............

RGVBadBoy
04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
sorry, but had Victoria not consolidated the schools, Victoria would slap Waco, you think Waco has a better tradition that victoria, i kinda doubt it, the Stingerees were a permanant fixture in the regional final before consalidation, right now they are only a season or 2 away from re establishing themselves..

supercentex
04-26-2005, 06:10 PM
sorry, but had Victoria not consolidated the schools, Victoria would slap Waco, you think Waco has a better tradition that victoria, i kinda doubt it, the Stingerees were a permanant fixture in the regional final before consalidation, right now they are only a season or 2 away from re establishing themselves..

Dude, our history goes back to the early 1900's with multiple state championships.......Abilene High and Waco High came claim that title.

lonny23
04-26-2005, 08:28 PM
First of all...I did not know about Plano West......or Victoria for that matter (like they ever do anything anyway).
The guy above said that he left Victoria and now coaching at 3-A Cuero...he did not say.......he left Victoria to go to Plano West and is now at Cuero.

Any team from Region 2 that makes the playoffs could go down to Region 4 and dominate. Sorry, it's just that weak. With the exception of Converse Judson, Smithson Valley, and a few others.

Victoria Memorial beating Waco High? Yeah right..you need to get a grip. You guys are Converse Judson's step-child.
Being Judson's stepchild is not a big deal. Nobody in Region 4 or the state for that matter has to ask, "Who's your daddy?" They know the answer.

Region 2 never has nor will for the foreseeable future dominate Region 4. You have some titles, but nothing to hang your hat on. The north side of Dallas in Region 1 is beating the south side right now.

Sting2Viper
04-26-2005, 10:27 PM
i play at memorial and would be happy to answer any questions

Best of luck this year. Keep us informed. So how's spring training going?

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Dude, our history goes back to the early 1900's with multiple state championships.......Abilene High and Waco High came claim that title.

still bringing up trophies from the 20's lol

Kinda sounds like Donna talking about their 1961 state title....thats OLD news! lol

In that case, CC Miller is da bomb..they won state during the 50s!!!!

RR

Firebird
04-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Just wanted to chime in here on the Victoria consolodation-- it' s kinda to bad it happened. VHS had about the coolest mascot around in 5a (The Stingarees), it was too bad they dropped it, especially since VHS was a really old school. "Vipers" is just too.... well generic. Sounds like an Arena League mascot I always like it when mascots reflect local culture/wildlife/industry. Still, though, VMHS is a non SA Region IV school, and the town has a pretty good football tradition. Best of luck to the new Cali coach up there, at least unless you meet Harlingen in the playoffs.

To the Cali coach on the boards.... Victoria is an OK place. It is one of the real historically significant towns in Texas. The Mexican Government started the town before the Texas Revolution. They were getting a little wary of the massive influx of Anglo settlers, and sent some of their own settlers to create an outpost of loyalty and keep an eye on the gringos. Goliad, not far from Victoria, is the site of a famous battlefield in that war. The Coastal Bend is a neat place, and unlike anywhere else in the state.

RedRage00
04-27-2005, 10:07 AM
We'll take down Harlingen...Harlingen Who? :p :D

Anyways, I think Victoria is a nice place to raise a family. I am young (going on 23) so I would not want to live there at a young age. I want to venture out and see more. After I finish grad school here in San Antonio I'll be off to another city.

Yes, I liked our old Stingaree mascot (VHS Class of 2000). We were only 1 of 2 schools with that mascot at the time (Texas City being the other). Yeah, I miss going to Stingaree games and seeing Red & White everywhere, but I'm not gonna sit here and dwell on the past. I'm living the present and right now it's the Vipers...maybe 5 years from now it'll be something else...but for now Im just enjoying this thing we call TX HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL!

Gotta love it!!!

Sting2Viper
04-27-2005, 12:28 PM

Come out of the past and get with the times, Al Bundy.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 01:29 PM
far be it for me to assume centex needs any help arguing anything, but he was right in his description of v-mem's district as weak. when several members couldn't win the local 4a district championship, they are weak. individual d-1 recruits are not a measure by which strength of play is measured, where i come from. unless and until the above facts change, most of us will not be greatly fearing a late season game with them. hope that changes soon. the area itself is great with lots of outdoor activities and some of the best fishing, hunting, bird watching and wind surfing anywhere.

RGVBadBoy
04-27-2005, 01:42 PM
yeah, that was about as POOR of an assessment as anyone has made about Victoria and the Coastal Bend.....the Victoria Stingerees were a force at one point, CC Carrol was pretty decent until a couple of years ago, i believe that even Miller (CC worst team) has won a state title in football in the 90s.....so hmmmmm, also in the smaller classifications, Cuero, Sinton, Calallen, Gregory Portland and even Alice have all made noise in the playoffs, i will say that 28-5A has had some off years as of late, but the worst in Texas they are NOT.....

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 01:52 PM
to what sport are you referring? the cc schools are always a threat to lose to calallen, gp and even k'ville. that certainly doesn't make them worst, just weak. it has been 40 years since a cc school made any noise out side of their area (last trip to finals was in 64). please refute. i wonder who will get added to their district in the 06-07 set up to make an 8 team district?

Firebird
04-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Dragonsdaddy--

I would question automatically discounting teams that have a rough time with Calallen or GP. That is one of the best 4a districts in the state, and the margin between good 5a and elite 4a is really narrow.

There are some REALLY good 5a teams that I think would have hard time beating,for instance, some of the great La Marque teams. Back when your own school, SLC, was 4a they probably could have beaten most of the top 25 5a teams. In fact, they boggled everyone's mind when they had the immediate success in 5a that they did.

Losing to G-P or Calallen does not mean every team in the district is weak.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 02:23 PM
i agree completely. but that still doesn't prove them not to be weak either. the 4a ball as well as the 3a and 2a from that area is first class, which makes it all the more of a conundrum as to why the 5a teams have been so universally unsuccessful, except for the occasional victoria team for so long

Firebird
04-27-2005, 02:46 PM
This response is going to be highly controversial, but, here it goes--

Corpus Christi experienced really bad "white flight" during integration. Now, I do not palce ANY STOCK AT ALL in the argument that any race produces superior athletes, but, I think from looking at recent history, it is fair to say that wealthier schools and districts have much more success on the playing field.(There are notable exceptions). And during the white flight, most of the wealth left to places like GP and Calallen. These schools have more resources to invest in football than the CCISD schools. Look at the metroplex for further explanation-- the wealthy suburban schools do much better than the Dallas ISD schools, even though DISD schools have fantastic athletes.

That also helps esplain why Vicotria was not hit so hard, and why of all the CC Schools, Carroll (the wealthiest) has had the most success.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
why would cc have suffered worse than other areas/cities? can't say it isn't true, but i don't know why it would be so.

Firebird
04-27-2005, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't say it suffered worse than some other cities in Texas, but for South Texas it was unique. CC is the only town south of SA with a significant African-American population. I think the trend hurt Dallas and Houston proper as bad as it did CC. In both those areas, the city schools are not competitve in relation to the suburban schools.

It is a real shame to realize exactly how much racism has affected even HS sports in Texas.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 04:26 PM
considering the population areas in texas, the nearest 5a schools to cc and victoria are quite a ways away. they will either have to travel to sa, the valley or almost to houston. they may have to split the district sending v-mem northeast and cc sw to the rgv. they are fairly serious about 8 member districts. if they made an exception for 28 5a, it would mean the 4th place team in that district of less than stellar teams would make the po's. seems fairly sensible to me.

Sting2Viper
04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Each region is going to have its share of teams that are either dominating or doormats. It's all relative. When teams from different regions meet in non-district, semis or state, the outcome depends on the strength of either team at that time. Region has nothing to do with it.

But getting back to Victoria, I have to commend Coach Campbell for getting some good teams on our non-district schedule. I agree that our non-district schedule is tougher that our district. One disadvantage is that there are no 5A schools (with the exception of our friends in Corpus) within 115 miles of us. Due to travel, that makes it difficult to schedule some good teams for non-district . Especially teams of the caliber you would come across in the third or fourth round of the playoffs.

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 06:07 PM
if they don't split the district, someone will be travelling 200 plus miles to play a district game, which rivals the little swc. either cc to fort bend, or vic to harlingen are decent jaunts.

Sting2Viper
04-27-2005, 06:08 PM
...... VHS had about the coolest mascot around in 5a (The Stingarees), it was too bad they dropped it, especially since VHS was a really old school. "Vipers" is just too.... well generic. Sounds like an Arena League mascot .....

During the consolidating process, we were originally gonna be called the "Knights" but the kids voted for "Vipers" which I like a lot better.

RGVBadBoy
04-27-2005, 06:11 PM
to what sport are you referring? the cc schools are always a threat to lose to calallen, gp and even k'ville. that certainly doesn't make them worst, just weak. it has been 40 years since a cc school made any noise out side of their area (last trip to finals was in 64). please refute. i wonder who will get added to their district in the 06-07 set up to make an 8 team district?
just because you lose to a POWER at a lower classification doesnt make you "WEAK".. tell me that several 5A wouldnt lose to the GREAT 3A Sealy teams of back in the day, i dont think you can.....back when SLC was 4A they were not always state champs, remember that, so just because you arent a state champ or runner up doesnt make you weak....you say that the last CC team to make noise was in 64'....what about the 91' Miller team, they were pretty damb good, i think they were regional or semi finalists, so obviously they were'nt weak...

dragonsdaddy
04-27-2005, 06:26 PM
we moved to s texas in 92-97 so i missed the miller run. they weren't very good while we were in kville, and i don't hear much out of them now. anyway, i was sure there had been some good ball played since they last went to the finals. i've already agreed about the 4a and 3a prowess in s texas.