PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointment of the Year

grassroots
01-03-2007, 04:22 PM
who do you think could have done more but didnt or did not live up to their hype?

my vote goes to lufkin.

PantherStang84
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
who do you think could have done more but didnt or did not live up to their hype?

my vote goes to lufkin.

Ditto.

KT2000
01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I expected more from Lufkin, North Shore and A&M Consolidated. I could probably throw Judson in there as well.

Shore was loaded up again following reloading in 04 and 05 after the 2003 championship. They started the year getting dominant results as expected, but really faded by the end of the season. I think some injuries played a role, but that's still shocking to me.

Consol because they returned quite a few players from a State Semi-Finalist team a year ago. They were playing well again before running into a surging Round Rock team in the first round.

LUFPAN
01-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Ditto.

ditto

toddg
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
"Into the valley of death, rode the 500" kind of summed up ACM and lufkins consequential demise to RR.

Slim-Rob
01-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Judson. After the weird finalist season last year I was expecting a little more this year...

Owned05
01-03-2007, 04:40 PM
ditto

Ditto on your ditto.

PackAttack2005
01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
As a Lufkin fan, I guess you get caught up in it all when you hear all the hype. For me, 2006 was a disappointment because everyone in Packland expected so much and believed this was the year. In the end, Round Rock pulled our pants down around our ankles and exposed us for all of our short comings.

I would say that A&M Consolidated and North Shore were a close 2nd.

THW was a close 3rd with all the talk surrounding their tough non-district schedule.

wide-e-wide
01-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Definitely my Lufkin Panthers.:mad:

Owned05
01-03-2007, 04:58 PM
North Shore can no longer be considered a disappointment. They're hyped every year and bow out early in the playoffs every year.

I saw the NS-Pearland score this year and was just like "Ho hum, they lost again". Wasn't suprised, I've just come to expect it.

Now, if they went out and won state this year, I'd be suprised. They apparently can't get there unless they have someone named Bobby Reid on there roster.

Red Raiders
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Lufkin Lufkin and Lufkin. Thats all I can say

And also, like most people say North Shore, I was not shocked at all, I knew they were going to be that way again like last year after seening them end of season not surprising. By the way, Lufkin should be the most of all after hearing all about them.

WestlandTiger'95
01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
now dont get all over me when i say this but....
one of the biggest dissapointments for me this year was seeing such a poor performance in the state game by Falls. It was so frustrating to see a TOTALLY different team show up in the finals than the one that beat katy.
I know that C-hill was a great team but they werent 35 points better than any top ten team this year, esp falls. I still firmly believe that if the same "intense" Falls team that beat katy showed up in the dome...falls wins by 14. That was Falls signature though this year....INCOSISTENTCY
I wish it werent true, but it was apparent that Falls focus was Katy and once they accompished that goal they coasted.

TrinityTrojan80
01-03-2007, 05:44 PM
It's not that I am disappointed with the boys, but it's just that I can't believe we lost to anyone!

KT2000
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
And also, like most people say North Shore, I was not shocked at all, I knew they were going to be that way again like last year after seening them end of season not surprising. By the way, Lufkin should be the most of all after hearing all about them.

I wasn't shocked when Pearland beat NS. Given the way they played in the second half of the reg season, I didn't think they stood a great chance of going to state.

I'm just surprised they declined the way they did after the way they played in non-district.

tailgater
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
I wasn't shocked when Pearland beat NS. Given the way they played in the second half of the reg season, I didn't think they stood a great chance of going to state.

I'm just surprised they declined the way they did after the way they played in non-district.

How do you think, we NS faithful feel. Started the year like gangbusters and man faded like the end of a movie. But if you read all the threads from sept/oct - we really suspected the QB and the consistency of the offense play. They had talent - but the QB was suspect and it showed - especially in the Pearland game. That offense should have been able to score at least 2 to 3 TD's in the 2nd half. Instead they got the big "0" when PL offense worn down our defense with their awesome running.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
01-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Overall despite classes:

in order:

Lufkin
NS
Gilmer
Judson
PAM
SV
ACM

Grapeguy
01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
I know that C-hill was a great team but they werent 35 points better than any top ten team this year, esp falls.

Maybe they weren't 35 points better than CF. But things were so out of control from CF's perspective, that CH possibly could have rung up two or three more TDs if William Cole hadn't been pulled before the end of the third period. Furthermore, there's a good chance CH would have avoided punting and thus not allowed CF's last 7 points on the block.:eek:

toddg
01-03-2007, 06:50 PM
It's not that I am disappointed with the boys, but it's just that I can't believe we lost to anyone!

i cant believe it either, with trinity's long history of undefeated seasons..:D

LeanderLions3033
01-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Well going into the playoffs i thought that Lufkin would win D-1, and SV would win D-2. So considering they were both ousted in the 1st round, i'd consider both of them to be biggest dissappointment A & B.

t00 playa
01-03-2007, 07:16 PM
North Shore has to be mentioned.... however... i harped on thier lack of offense at the beginning of district play....i know many of you read "hype" but if you would have actually read posts in which actual NS posters who had been to the games all season... it shouldnt have been a surprise... NS was a one sided team this year...and many of us NS posters..harped on it . all they had was a defense....not much else...and im most dissapointed in the fact that we had stellar athletes on offense... and a huge O-line.... which makes for a solid offense... however... it never came around...so i wasnt surprised... but yes NS is a big dissapointment... aymond has trouble winning in the playoffs....bottom line....however.. NS has exited early and even in the past 3 seasons...all three losses.. were to teams that won the region...so its not like we are being ousted by lackluster teams...we will make it over the hump again... in fact.. as bad as we were this year.. we had our chance to beat pearland..but we will make it over the hump again...:eek:

CKE
01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
SV...who would have thought that they wuld lose to a team they have never lost to in 7 years in the first round

bleedblue
01-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Irving ISD

Slim-Rob
01-03-2007, 07:25 PM
SV...who would have thought that they wuld lose to a team they have never lost to in 7 years in the first round

CJ...who would have thought that they wuld lose to a team they have never lost to to not even make it to the first round

cyfallsbooster2
01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
one of the biggest dissapointments for me this year was seeing such a poor performance in the state game by Falls. It was so frustrating to see a TOTALLY different team show up in the finals than the one that beat katy.
I know that C-hill was a great team but they werent 35 points better than any top ten team this year, esp falls. I still firmly believe that if the same "intense" Falls team that beat katy showed up in the dome...falls wins by 14. That was Falls signature though this year....INCOSISTENTCY
I wish it werent true, but it was apparent that Falls focus was Katy and once they accompished that goal they coasted.

Have no problem with your point of view or opinion....except that Falls' goal was not to beat Katy this year, but to win Regional Championship. It did not matter to them who was in their way.....get past Regionals and then go for it all. Too many Katy posters seem to think it was about them. It wasn't. It was about winning Regional and then going for state.

You see, they hung up on Regionals for 2 years in a row. Once against Westfield (state finalist) and once against Katy (state finalist). They wanted to get past that GAME, not that TEAM. Katy fans all want to think Falls was hung up on THEM, but THEY were not the objective. State was. So get over yourselves, Katy.

CKE
01-03-2007, 07:39 PM
CJ...who would have thought that they wuld lose to a team they have never lost to to not even make it to the first round

well I did call it at the start of the season....not to piss you off though it was just a opinion

SeguinMatadors
01-03-2007, 07:42 PM

my vote goes to lufkin.

Seguin losing to Regan is the most ****** thing I have ever saw in my life. Absolutely disgusting.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Seguin losing to Regan is the most ****** thing I have ever saw in my life. Absolutely disgusting.
people hyped up Seguin so much i thought they had state locked up.

Dragon20
01-03-2007, 08:32 PM
The Lufkin / S Lake Game that never happened.

GoOwls
01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Lufkin, for me.

They were my D-1 pick in the pick 'em contest. Yes, I actually picked them over SLC. Stupid me. I just thought they had insurmountable talent. I was very wrong.

WestlandTiger'95
01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
They wanted to get past that GAME, not that TEAM. Katy fans all want to think Falls was hung up on THEM, but THEY were not the objective. State was. So get over yourselves, Katy.

say what you want, the proof was in the puddin'. It may be conceited but it's the truth...If you want to win the region, your gonna have to prepare to beat Katy. You're kiddin yourself to think other wise. Again had the intesity been there for the two weeks following regionals my opinion would be WAY different.

SeguinMatadors
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
people hyped up Seguin so much i thought they had state locked up.

Whatever dawg.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Whatever dawg.
I mean they was #1 and seemed to be front page news on every where areas sports page down there, i would probably say god's gift to San Antonio but SV and Judson takes those spots. I checked them out and found out they were actually better than what i thought they was before that Ozen game.

SeguinMatadors
01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
I mean they was #1 and seemed to be front page news on every where areas sports page down there, i would probably say god's gift to San Antonio but SV and Judson takes those spots. I checked them out and found out they were actually better than what i thought they was before that Ozen game.

Well, the way they flamed out was with-out a doubt the most disapointing thing that has ever happened to me as a fan of a sport.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
01-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Well, the way they flamed out was with-out a doubt the most disapointing thing that has ever happened to me as a fan of a sport.yeah same here, a 56-27 butt whoopin to LaPorte of all teams. I could have excepted it if it was North Shore or Katy or even cy-falls.

shs13
01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Well, the way they flamed out was with-out a doubt the most disapointing thing that has ever happened to me as a fan of a sport.

i know :( if only greenwood woudnt have got hurt in the first quarter...his back up played horrible

SeguinMatadors
01-03-2007, 10:13 PM
i know :( if only greenwood woudnt have got hurt in the first quarter...his back up played horrible

It's way more than that. Overall, the team laid an egg... top to bottom. Came in with a horrible attitude. Oh well.

Slice46
01-03-2007, 10:17 PM
It's way more than that. Overall, the team laid an egg... top to bottom. Came in with a horrible attitude. Oh well.

They were on the news a week or so before the game saying they were focused and wouldn't let this game slip by or anything.

SeguinMatadors
01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
They were on the news a week or so before the game saying they were focused and wouldn't let this game slip by or anything.

Hey, they were coached up to talk to the media one way. Doesn't meant hat was the sentiment shared on the team.

svhorns
01-03-2007, 11:00 PM
at least we got the district championship... its always dissapointed to get knocked out early but stuff happens...

SLC DRAGON
01-04-2007, 04:03 AM
Lufkin:( i wated to see the lufkin SLC game

KT2000
01-04-2007, 07:23 AM
say what you want, the proof was in the puddin'. It may be conceited but it's the truth...If you want to win the region, your gonna have to prepare to beat Katy. You're kiddin yourself to think other wise. Again had the intesity been there for the two weeks following regionals my opinion would be WAY different.

I agree that Falls didn't play anywhere near the level they did against Katy in the state game, but at the same time I'm sure people at Jersey Village, Memorial and Brazoswood might say the same thing about Katy's performance in the quarterfinals.

Anything can happen each week in the playoffs, and we saw that yet again this year. It takes a truly special team to win 6 playoff games in a row.

ScottS
01-04-2007, 08:07 AM
This thread has Lufkin written all over it, but Lufkin always has a good team and will be back next year.

cyfallsbooster2
01-04-2007, 10:12 AM

I can not argue with having a 99.99% chance of having to go through Katy at some point in R3 if one is in their division. They are very dominant in this area of the State. I believe the intesity was also there the next 2 weeks. They hold a Mac team that had been averaging something like 40+ points in the playoffs to just 1 offensive TD. Final was something else, but I believe the intesity was still there. Maybe a little too much with some. Comparing the Final to the Katy game is a night and day comparison. The Katy offense is a pretty basic scheme that is fairly easy to defend if a team has the talent to overcome the perfect execution. CH on the other hand was very blessed this year with an amazing group of kids that were ALL big and fast thus negating Falls' advantages over many teams. They also had an extremely fast running back playing qb that their offensive scheme was built around. I suspect with his graduation, their offense will have a different look this next year.

toonman
01-04-2007, 11:05 AM

my vote goes to lufkin.

Based on this website’s pre-season ranking then the following teams qualify as ''Disappointment of the Year" :-

1). Lufkin (Ranked #1)
2). North Shore (Ranked #3)
3). Lewisville Hebron (Ranked #4)
4). A&M Consolidated (Ranked #6)
5). Judson (Ranked #10)

But I agree with you – Lufkin is the biggest disappointment, as many posters were hoping for another Lufkin vs SLC match up.

rangerpride
01-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I'd have to rank biggest disappointments as follows:

#1) Lufkin-pre-season favorite to win it all flames out early due to internal conflicts.

#2)Judson- I know A&M Cons & North Shore were ranked higher, but at least they MADE IT to the big dance, unlike Judson. I was SURE they would finish no WORSE than 3rd in 26-5A.

#3) North Shore- Everyone was talking about their unstoppable defense early on and how they were obliterating teams, yet like #'s 1,4, & 5, they bow out early.

#4)A&M Cons. All the early hype led them to the same fate as Lufkin and SV, an early exit.

#5) SV- Played well enough all year to win one of the toughest districts in the state, but how does the district 26-5A champ lose to a 4th place team with a 5-5 record??? Especially one they hadn't lost to in the last SEVEN years?

toonman
01-05-2007, 08:29 AM
I am also disappointed that the following match ups did not happen :-

SLC vs Lufkin
SLC vs Spring Westfield
SLC vs North Shore

J-Rock Mom
01-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Judson:eek: to say the least was my worst disappointment, I thought those boys had it but they just couldn't bring it.
Then SV,:confused: after what they did in 26-5A winning district I was rooting for them to win state. They need to bring it home.

But I am rooting for those 2 teams again next season hopefully both teams will kick it up!!!!!

2ManyExperts
01-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Where do i start??
1)Lufkin, after seeing them on TV, thought no one could beat them.
2)S Valley
3)C Judson, great team that got left behind.
4)Gal Ball, majority of team coming back, but same coach= same result...

This was definitley the year of upsets...not only in HSFB but prob in all sports... makes those 4th seeds definitely a factor, i say keep 'em in.

twcpfan1
01-05-2007, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't call them the Disappointment of the year, but I'm pretty sure the Highlander faithful were expecting a little bit more from The Woodlands this year. With all those returning players, and talent to burn on the Defensive side. Even this site had them ranked at 12 pre season which I thought at the time was right on the money.

ruffshod
01-05-2007, 05:18 PM
North Shore has to be mentioned.... however... i harped on thier lack of offense at the beginning of district play....i know many of you read "hype" but if you would have actually read posts in which actual NS posters who had been to the games all season... it shouldnt have been a surprise... NS was a one sided team this year...and many of us NS posters..harped on it . all they had was a defense....not much else...and im most dissapointed in the fact that we had stellar athletes on offense... and a huge O-line.... which makes for a solid offense... however... it never came around...so i wasnt surprised... but yes NS is a big dissapointment... aymond has trouble winning in the playoffs....bottom line....however.. NS has exited early and even in the past 3 seasons...all three losses.. were to teams that won the region...so its not like we are being ousted by lackluster teams...we will make it over the hump again... in fact.. as bad as we were this year.. we had our chance to beat pearland..but we will make it over the hump again...:eek:
Yes! Tommorrow is a new day. NS was a disappointment in the fact that they were in the game against Pland, but consistently shot themselves in the foot after the first qrtr. As they did all season. Lufkin on the other hand, was a disappointment in the fact that they took RR too lightly, and forgot to show up for the game. Pland was disappointing since they didn't finish what they started.

Memo to teams in Region 3: Quit treating the game against NS as your Super Bowl. There are still more games to play.

dt1064
01-05-2007, 09:34 PM

Next year I'm going to be more reserved. This past season I thought they were going to break the jinx. Not. I'm not expecting much from now on.:( What ever happens, happens.

protect-the-tradition
01-06-2007, 08:32 AM

my vote goes to lufkin.

I agree with you they were ranked # 1 all year long and were gone way too early for all they hype

protect-the-tradition
01-06-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd have to rank biggest disappointments as follows:

#1) Lufkin-pre-season favorite to win it all flames out early due to internal conflicts.

#2)Judson- I know A&M Cons & North Shore were ranked higher, but at least they MADE IT to the big dance, unlike Judson. I was SURE they would finish no WORSE than 3rd in 26-5A.

#3) North Shore- Everyone was talking about their unstoppable defense early on and how they were obliterating teams, yet like #'s 1,4, & 5, they bow out early.

#4)A&M Cons. All the early hype led them to the same fate as Lufkin and SV, an early exit.

#5) SV- Played well enough all year to win one of the toughest districts in the state, but how does the district 26-5A champ lose to a 4th place team with a 5-5 record??? Especially one they hadn't lost to in the last SEVEN years?

INTERNAL CONFLICKS Could you please explain that one??????

Plano Wildcat Fan
01-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Is that the Plano Administration didn't relive GB from is HC duties after another steller coaching performance of the wildcats.

my3sons
01-07-2007, 02:15 AM
Disappointed that we have to wait until Spring football to have any serious conversation.

trainin' the game
01-08-2007, 12:04 PM

did you watch the game?

That's crap and a slap in the face to us. They were there had the same time to prepare and had the same time to warm-up.

We were the better team; it's that simple the same kids did show up i was on the sieline looking at them face to face. Ask your region III buddies in cypress ISD how hard it is to even play touch football with william cole.:eek: Katy has tradition so i will show no disrespect but we would have gotten after their tale too!!!! It's hard to stop what you can't slow down. Madden said it best "speed kills!"

51-17 ch 5a div II state champs.:p

trainin' the game
01-08-2007, 12:12 PM
I can not argue with having a 99.99% chance of having to go through Katy at some point in R3 if one is in their division. They are very dominant in this area of the State. I believe the intesity was also there the next 2 weeks. They hold a Mac team that had been averaging something like 40+ points in the playoffs to just 1 offensive TD. Final was something else, but I believe the intesity was still there. Maybe a little too much with some. Comparing the Final to the Katy game is a night and day comparison. The Katy offense is a pretty basic scheme that is fairly easy to defend if a team has the talent to overcome the perfect execution. CH on the other hand was very blessed this year with an amazing group of kids that were ALL big and fast thus negating Falls' advantages over many teams. They also had an extremely fast running back playing qb that their offensive scheme was built around. I suspect with his graduation, their offense will have a different look this next year.

two words for you. James Hamilton. :confused: your confused now but come around november you will have an eye on the hill again.

cyfallsbooster2
01-08-2007, 02:03 PM
two words for you. James Hamilton. :confused: your confused now but come around november you will have an eye on the hill again.

Possibly. I am not familiar with the CH program so I can not comment on the future. My only point was that Cole is a special talent that I personally would consider it difficult to replace to his full extent.

trainin' the game
01-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Possibly. I am not familiar with the CH program so I can not comment on the future. My only point was that Cole is a special talent that I personally would consider it difficult to replace to his full extent.

i fully agree with that.

Red Raiders
01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
How do you think, we NS faithful feel. Started the year like gangbusters and man faded like the end of a movie. But if you read all the threads from sept/oct - we really suspected the QB and the consistency of the offense play. They had talent - but the QB was suspect and it showed - especially in the Pearland game. That offense should have been able to score at least 2 to 3 TD's in the 2nd half. Instead they got the big "0" when PL offense worn down our defense with their awesome running.

Yea I am sure you guys started out like gangbusters because yall played all the weak teams, lmao and of course faded end of a movie because you were beaten by a good team. :eek:

t00 playa
01-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Yea I am sure you guys started out like gangbusters because yall played all the weak teams, lmao and of course faded end of a movie because you were beaten by a good team. :eek:

only two teams won out in the playoffs... so you picking against NS or anyone else to lose doesnt make you a genius..you should be trying not to embarrass texas football by getting waxed by a team in uhhh ohio.. you know nothing about shore... just what you read. So.... thats why your shots at the shore have had very few responses throughout the season....hehe..doesnt bother one bit..i mean.. i could have talked all year how tyler lee was not going anywhere this year..even though it was true.. doesnt make me a genius..... :eek:

pack0808
01-11-2007, 09:36 AM
INTERNAL CONFLICKS Could you please explain that one??????

Not sure about conflicks? but they did have some internal conflicts but that is still no excuse. Put it this way. Long story that involves players quitting and coming back in the week of their demise. It is over now and Lufkin will be back and RR was simply the better team that day.

PaulinPlano
01-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Lufkin, seemed like they did not have the game plan. I saw them play the Woodlands and RR. Not very good games to watch. One they dominated, and the other... well... I know the expectations were very high out East this year... all the Lufkin faithful had a tough dissapointing loss to end the season.

Katy, I thought they were going to make a very deep run.

Seguin first round playoff game. To lose in the first round was a huge dissapointment. That team was loaded. And they were really, really banged up when they played Austin Westlake and still won.

Allen Eagles game against SLC (Not Allen season). I know they are a much better team than what they showed against SLC. I am not saying they would have beat them... but they are much better than that final score indicated.

Plano East QB Riko Smalls injury vs Westfield. I know year after year, teams all over the state deal with injuries to key players. Allen losing Nathan Dick was key. The way East played with Smalls at QB against Westfield, there is no doubt in my mind Plano East would have won that game. They almost won it anyway. A first down here or there would have made the difference. Westfield had no answer for him.

I expected the Plano wildcats to drop off a bit, but the were terrible this year. A big dissapointment.

These are just a few thoughts I had.

HebronHawk
01-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Based on this website’s pre-season ranking then the following teams qualify as ''Disappointment of the Year" :-

1). Lufkin (Ranked #1)
2). North Shore (Ranked #3)
3). Lewisville Hebron (Ranked #4)
4). A&M Consolidated (Ranked #6)
5). Judson (Ranked #10)

But I agree with you – Lufkin is the biggest disappointment, as many posters were hoping for another Lufkin vs SLC match up.

The only team Hebron lost to all year was Cedar Hill, the State Champion in D2.

Dusty Bottoms
01-13-2007, 02:51 AM
A&M Consolidated for me..
lots of talent especially on the offensive side of the ball..lots of key returners from a state semi-final team of a year ago...ranked in the top 5 before being defeated at Katy in nondistrict action....rolled thru district play...maintained a top 10 ranking all season.....only to get blasted in the 1st round in what was basically a home game for Consol..playing about 1 mile away from the Consol fieldhouse and stadium at kyle Field

SGP 06 Alumni
01-13-2007, 04:59 AM
My SGP Warriors for me... 9-1 regular season and #14 in the state. Only loosing to ET 38-21. Then beating an emotionally hyped Arlington Bowie team(first ever winning season and playoff birth) in the 1st round 24-21. Then turn around the next week in the 2nd round and get our butts handed to us by an unranked Colleyville team 38-14. I expected us to go to the Regional Finals and face SLC, which would have ultimately been our defeat. But instead of that, we got cut short...

Vols4Ever
01-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Arlington Lamar looked about as bad as I have seen them --- ever.