PDA

View Full Version : The smack talk has officially started!!

pack0808
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Looks like the smack talk has begun between these two!! Check out the quote about Vince by a top Ohio St linebacker!! There are several more quotes from different players on both teams. Read on for yourself.

(2) Texas vs. (4) Ohio St.

Both Texas and Ohio State have been looking forward to facing each other for quite some time.
The much-anticipated matchup between two of the nation's top teams takes place Saturday night when the No. 2 Longhorns visit the fourth-ranked Buckeyes.

Texas and Ohio State each opened their seasons last week with relatively easy wins, and the talk after those victories immediately shifted to this weekend's game.

The Longhorns were still riding the wave of confidence created by last season's Rose Bowl win over Michigan when they dispatched Louisiana-Lafayette 60-3 last Saturday. After the game, Texas said a victory in Columbus could make it a favorite to play for the national championship.

``This has the chance to be as big as the Rose Bowl,'' Longhorns defensive end Brian Robison said. ``This could determine the fate of our season. There's not too many chances in a life to play in a game like this.''

Texas quarterback Vince Young passed for three touchdowns and ran for another, and Jamaal Charles set a freshman debut record with 135 yards rushing against the Ragin' Cajuns.

Soon after Ohio State beat Miami of Ohio 34-14 in its opener, linebacker Bobby Carpenter said, ``Our goal is when Vince Young leaves here, he won't be a candidate for the Heisman.''

Asked about that comment, Young said, ``Let 'em talk. I know if they focus on me, it's going to open up some opportunities for other players. When the game time comes, let's see what they're saying then.''

Even the coaches are talking up what promises to be a special meeting of two powerhouse programs playing each other for the first time.

``It will be a fun game for college football,'' Texas' Mack Brown said. ``The buildup started in early spring.''

Ohio State's Jim Tressel admitted letting his mind drift ahead while the Buckeyes were playing Miami of Ohio.

``Probably in the middle of the fourth quarter -- I'm not going to lie,'' Tressel said. ``You know, we're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. Shoot, we can't wait. I'm sure they're the same.''

Justin Zwick completed 17-of-23 passes for 155 yards and a touchdown, tailback Antonio Pittman gained 100 yards on 14 carries and Ted Ginn Jr. caught a 42-yard touchdown pass to lead the Buckeyes last weekend.

Zwick got the start because Troy Smith was serving the second game of a two-game suspension for accepting $500 from a team booster. Smith led the Buckeyes to wins in four of their last five regular-season games in 2004 after Zwick and the offense had sputtered during an 0-3 start in Big Ten play.

``Justin was very efficient, even though he had the one play that we all wish he had back,'' Tressel said of the interception Zwick threw. ``Outside of that play I thought he was very efficient.''

Smith will be available for this game, though it's not known if he or Zwick will get the start.

Texas linebacker Aaron Harris didn't seem to care much about who the Buckeyes start.

``We're going to have a good time stopping them,'' Harris said.

Ohio State has never lost a night game in Columbus and hasn't lost a nonconference game at home since 1990. Texas has won 21 of its last 22 games on the opponent's home field.

``We've played well on the road,'' Young said. ``Everybody accepts the challenge. I love it. We could go down there and make history.''

dragons08
09-07-2005, 05:59 PM
a little late on this thread dont ya think? :p

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 07:10 PM
This game can't get here quick enough. When the schedule came out and I saw Ohio St. ....I thought "Oh my...that's gonna be a good one"
I love the hype. I love the smack. I love all of the ingredients.
I think that when Texas leaves C-bus there will be no question who
the Heisman front runner is.

If they are stupid enough to key on Vince Young...it will get ugly.
Texas has too many weapons...

Expect a big game from Jamaal Charles,Aaron Harris,Rodrique Wright
and of course Superman...if tOSU shuts down the run...then Ramonce
Taylor and David Thomas will put on a show.
Tied at halftime...
Texas pulls way out in front after that.

TheDuke
09-07-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't know about you guys, but reading that gave me the Goose Bumps!!

HOOK'EM HORNS!

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 07:20 PM
And the Heisman pose....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/bogthekid/Vinceposing.jpg

TheDuke
09-07-2005, 07:22 PM
And the Heisman pose....

NICE!! HE WILL BE RUNNING WILD ON SAT.!

GTown02
09-07-2005, 07:24 PM
And the Heisman pose....

Haha love that pic! :D

concha
09-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I believe you'll find this on the latest cover of SI

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/09/04/gallery.ncaaweek1/04.jpg

dragons08
09-07-2005, 07:57 PM
i think widemans pose of VY looks more like the heisman, put the 2 next to eachother (heisman trophey, VY pic) and they look similiar..

Reaganrattler07
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
i think widemans pose of VY looks more like the heisman, put the 2 next to eachother (heisman trophey, VY pic) and they look similiar..

I don't think either of them look like the Heismann....honestly.

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Notice how Redskins88 spelled Heisman with 2 N's...
Just like his buddy Joe Theismann...who BTW changed
the way his name was pronounced with the hopes of winning
the Heisman. It used to be Theismann with the "e" sound...not the
"i" sound.
I can't say much though...Tony Dorsett changed his name too.

Reaganrattler07
09-07-2005, 08:09 PM
"i" sound.

Sorry, I thought it was two n's...my mistake.

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Did you know that about Theismann though?

dragons08
09-07-2005, 08:21 PM
"i" sound.
is this really true? i never heard of this, just proves that joe theismann is a bigger dumb*** :D , if wasnt picking the skins to make the NFC championship enough.. :p

Reaganrattler07
09-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Did you know that about Theismann though?

Don't think so.....he's still known as Theismann though....and i believe his jersey had "Theismann" on the back of it.

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Yes..but at one time it was pronounced 'Thees mann" instead of
"Th'ismann" He changed it when he was in college...had a nice ring to it...
the campaign was Theismann for the Heisman...sounded better than "Thees man" It rhymed....see what I mean?

Reaganrattler07
09-07-2005, 08:44 PM
Haha yeah....that is a good campaign slogan...what college did he go to?

I've heard all sorts of ways to say his name i just say thise-man, others say tise-man (minus the H)

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Notre Dame and he was a bum...
It's Theismann not T'isemann never heard that one.
But some of the old reporters still say Thees-mann.
Tony Dorsett changed his too. The emphasis used to
be on the 'Dor' portion of his name...he changed it to be
pronounced dor'Sett...with the emphasis on the 'Sett" portion.

dragons08
09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
if i was rich and famous id change my name pronuciation just for kicks

Reaganrattler07
09-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Notre Dame and he was a bum...
It's Theismann not T'isemann never heard that one.
But some of the old reporters still say Thees-mann.
Tony Dorsett changed his too. The emphasis used to
be on the 'Dor' portion of his name...he changed it to be
pronounced dor'Sett...with the emphasis on the 'Sett" portion.

He hardly ever got PT in Miami....even volunteered to return punts....but he fit just nicely into Gibbs' offense though. Too bad they had a bad center when they decided to run the shotgun for the first time...

mtbray
09-07-2005, 09:55 PM
if i was rich and famous id change my name pronuciation just for kicks

Then I would have to call you 'tool' because that is what you'd be....along with Prince, Sean "whatever he's called now' Combs and Jennifer Hopez.

TheProphet
09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey, a lot of talk about the offense is cool. But UT's D is downright nasty. The line is essentially 2 deep with stars at every position and the linebackers are as fast as the d-backs. Michael Huff and Ced Griffin are about as good as its gettin back there too, but Drew Kelson and Rashad Bobino (So and Fr), and Robert Killebrew (So) are downright burners, what do y'all think about which team has the best D? Cuz from the tapes I've seen its the Horns oddly enough.

wide-e-wide
09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I don't really see any holes in Texas' defense. They are brutal.
Killebrew is going to grow into something special...Aaron Harris
is a best. Rod Wright...Griffin and Huff...where's the hole?
I think Texas has them on both sides of the ball.

pack0808
09-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I give Ohio St. the slight edge on the defensive side of the ball. Both are top 10 to top 5 defenses. I give Texas the edge on offense. I just do not think you guys understand how ugly Ohio St. makes people play at the shoe?? They make great teams look they have never played football before there. I know Texas has been an unbelievable road team lately winning at KSU, Lincoln, A&M, Stillwater etc etc but the shoe is a different experience. You will see well over 100 thousand people going crazy!!

concha
09-08-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't really see any holes in Texas' defense. They are brutal.
Killebrew is going to grow into something special...Aaron Harris
is a best. Rod Wright...Griffin and Huff...where's the hole?
I think Texas has them on both sides of the ball.

What a shocker.

wide-e-wide
09-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Not really...since it's the truth.
Of course me and every freakin' sportswriter
and college football analyst (other than that asshat Herbstreit)
say the same thing.

TheProphet
09-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah, playing at the Shoe is a big deal, however you have to realize, the only thing that can potentially do is slow down an offense. Its usually a factor for west coast offenses too since they call plays at the LOS and often give verbal audibles. But I dont think "Give the ball to Vince" will be lost in translation. Hahaha even if it does, and Blue 2 TD ends up sounding like Vince get the ball and run, it shouldnt be a problem

wide-e-wide
09-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Blue 42...Blue 42...Everybody in this stadium knows I am going to run the ball and you still can't stop me.....hutt...hutt...hutt.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-08-2005, 04:21 PM
I haven't been this excited about a football game since 1998, when I was playing.

I'm ready to get on the field and hit someone in the mouth!! (Just football talk, you guys!!! Don't take offense!!)

:D

Thought I'd never say this.......HOOK'EM HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!

..........and stomp'em Red Raiders!!!!!!!!!!!

TheProphet
09-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Hey the other dumbest thing I have heard is "Vince doesn't read offenses well" lol I mean what the hell is that, we aren't running a west coast offense... lets turn the table, defenses dont read Vince well, thats why no one ever tackles him

ThEgReAtOnE
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey the other dumbest thing I have heard is "Vince doesn't read offenses well" lol I mean what the hell is that, we aren't running a west coast offense... lets turn the table, defenses dont read Vince well, thats why no one ever tackles him

With the exception of my OU Sooners, the last 2 years, I agree....the other teams don't read Vincent well. But then again that's not what it's about...reading and respecting are 2 totally different apsects. If you're a decent db you can read any qb, but here's what last years issue was....

...teams didn't respect Vincents' passing coming into last year...but throughout the year they begin respecting his "ARM"....and THAT paved the way for Vincent to use what is more dangerous...his feet. This year he needs to be balanced, so that he can be the most ultimate threat. If they stunt, he needs to be able to distribute the ball quickly and accurately...if he can be successful at doing that he can open up his running capabilities, via both running back and himself.

They'll respect him....and when they do that, he'll dominate easier!!

TheProphet
09-08-2005, 07:51 PM
yeah thats completely true man, but hey i was reading an OU message board the other day saying Vince is a flop at UT and reggie mcneal is a better runner. Its good to know an intelligent OU fan is living.

ThEgReAtOnE
09-08-2005, 08:05 PM
yeah thats completely true man, but hey i was reading an OU message board the other day saying Vince is a flop at UT and reggie mcneal is a better runner. Its good to know an intelligent OU fan is living.

Yes...this is true, I speak for the better of us! Both Reggie and Vincent are gonna run lose on our butts if we don't get it in gear!!

sltnusmc
09-11-2005, 09:27 PM
I believe you'll find this on the latest cover of SI

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/09/04/gallery.ncaaweek1/04.jpg
To bad they forgot about him during the game.

GoOwls
09-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Couldn't find him because he had orange and white draped all over him.

BTW, Wide is absolutely correct about the Theisman/Heisman thing, difference is he heard about it, I lived it. :D :D :D