PDA

View Full Version : Another 'great run or bad tackling debate' thread

twcpfan1
12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
I think it's about time to put the 'Tre Newton run' thread to sleep. Here's another one you guys can maul over.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hoQJPcj2qs

Sakatha
12-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I think it's about time to put the 'Tre Newton run' thread to sleep. Here's another one you guys can maul over.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hoQJPcj2qs

As much as I'd love to say it's a tremendous run, it wasn't against SLC, Lufkin, Garland, NS, Westfield or the Cowboys... :(

All sarcasm aside, at least 5 guys wrap him up and Sam's strength and balance keeps them from bringing him down. On one hit, the guy takes a good shot at Sam's knees, and actuall knocks him back, but once again balance prevails... Then it's just blazing speed...

All in all? TREMENDOUS RUN!!!

~DnM

dragonsdaddy
12-27-2006, 03:23 PM
As much as I'd love to say it's a tremendous run, it wasn't against SLC, Lufkin, Garland, NS, Westfield or the Cowboys... :(

All sarcasm aside, at least 5 guys wrap him up and Sam's strength and balance keeps them from bringing him down. On one hit, the guy takes a good shot at Sam's knees, and actuall knocks him back, but once again balance prevails... Then it's just blazing speed...

~DnM
i'm of the impression that kt tackles well and the sperts meant to include them in the good tackling set, so good run. if they decide kt tackles poorly, then i guess i'm wrong. what's new? i missed the taylor part, so i'm going with the poor tackling choice.

Favpack
12-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I like the guy that touches him 5 yards deep in the end zone after he stops - like that means something or is gonna get him brownie points. Amazing run.

TigerHat
12-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Hopefully I can bring all of the "great run or bad tackling" debates to an end with this observation: if you think the defensive players would have missed the tackle with me running the ball it was bad tackling, if you don't, it was a great run.

ThEgReAtOnE
12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Seems like the Austin Westlake "tackling" Coach gets around!

Fleeman93
12-27-2006, 04:30 PM
Great run! I don't think the last guy that had a shot at Sam got a star in his helmet. He looked like he lost his contact on the turf. Sam "created" those missed tackles.

ThEgReAtOnE
12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Great run! I don't think the last guy that had a shot at Sam got a star in his helmet. He looked like he lost his contact on the turf. Sam "created" those missed tackles.

In this instance, there is "creating"....then there is "taking advantage of". SAm took advantage of the poor tackling and mistakes.

I doubt that 7 or 8 Garland, Lufkin, Spring Westfield, SLC, Cedar Hill, Katy or North Shore, defenders, would surround Sam and he'd be able to just slip through every one of them - at that close distance - into the open. Sorry, just don't see it happening.

Sam seems to be a solid RB, however.

Sakatha
12-27-2006, 04:44 PM
In this instance, there is "creating"....then there is "taking advantage of". SAm took advantage of the poor tackling and mistakes.

I doubt that 7 or 8 Garland, Lufkin, Spring Westfield, SLC, Cedar Hill, Katy or North Shore, defenders, would surround Sam and he'd be able to just slip through every one of them - at that close distance - into the open. Sorry, just don't see it happening.

Sam seems to be a solid RB, however.

De Ja Vu?

I am curious... Were those Barry Sanders runs where he'd reverse field and score *all* poor defense? What I am saying is, it sounds as if you are saying that any play that doesn't result in a stop is almost 100% poor defense...

and NO I am NOT comparing McGuffie to Barry Sanders.... *sighs*

~DnM

ThEgReAtOnE
12-27-2006, 04:52 PM
De Ja Vu?

I am curious... Were those Barry Sanders runs where he'd reverse field and score *all* poor defense? What I am saying is, it sounds as if you are saying that any play that doesn't result in a stop is almost 100% poor defense...

and NO I am NOT comparing McGuffie to Barry Sanders.... *sighs*

~DnM

De Ja Boo!

Some of those Barry Sanders' runs were over-pursuit by the defense, but 90% of them was Barry. He is God! Period!

And...
Any play that results in one or more players being in the position to make a defensive stop - and not doing so - is poor defense.

Thank you for not smoking in public places,
OnE

wide-e-wide
12-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Well that pretty much wraps this thread up huh? (no pun intended)
I truly wonder.....I mean it really baffles me...what do these people see when they watch a football game? Are they watching the band and the cheerleaders? WTF? Little to NO knowledge of the actual game that is taking place. The kinds of people that use terms like "gold post"...and "home base"...or "what ending is this?"...I'm sure you know the type TGO.
That guy that jumps up after every completed pass and yells "pass interference" while reaching for an imaginary flag in his pocket. You know...the guy that everybody laughs at.

ThEgReAtOnE
12-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Well that pretty much wraps this thread up huh? (no pun intended)
I truly wonder.....I mean it really baffles me...what do these people see when they watch a football game? Are they watching the band and the cheerleaders? WTF? Little to NO knowledge of the actual game that is taking place. The kinds of people that use terms like "gold post"...and "home base"...or "what ending is this?"...I'm sure you know the type TGO.
That guy that jumps up after every completed pass and yells "pass interference" while reaching for an imaginary flag in his pocket. You know...the guy that everybody laughs at.

Haha! Yes I do.

DragonDad
12-27-2006, 07:59 PM

~DnM

I've never seen so much bad tackling on a single play. No one on the defense did their job. :)

jrock210
12-27-2006, 08:17 PM
that was a great run...whoever hit him first had him but he kept his feet moving and put that arm out to stay up...great run

playthatball
12-27-2006, 09:27 PM
So yall that say it was not bad tackling think that the safety (#16 or #18) had the proper tackling technique?

MidLineOption73
12-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Poor tackling +
Great Talent(Balance+speed+blocking+agility+heart+desire +cempetitiveness) = Great Run :eek:

GridironJAC
12-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Poor tackling +
Great Talent(Balance+speed+blocking+agility+heart+desire +cempetitiveness) = Great Run :eek:

Exactly, all of the above.
The blocking didn't quite on that play either, which was a benefit to the great run.

ruffshod
12-27-2006, 11:59 PM
On the 90 yd run, that was definitely poor tackling. But you have to give him credit for running through those tackles. What can you say? The kid has great vision, which is what most of the great backs have.

NewSherriffInTown
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
It's always a combination of both.

The first couple broken tackles were him and they were amazing.

The reason the run went 90 yards instead of 15-20 is because the other players ASSUMED he was getting tackled and gave up on the play..

the RB made a great play and didnt give up on it.

t-long20
12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
that was just a great run period u can actually see him making would be taklers miss, instead of just runing straight and movin his feet and scorin

ktCarl
12-28-2006, 03:26 PM
A good running back taking advantage of poor tackling which in turn became a great run. I was at the game and witnessed the run. It still impresses me today.