PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs

Pages : 1 [2] 3

PaulinPlano
02-13-2007, 05:30 PM
On a side note...

Today, the Spurs traded forward Eric Williams and a 2009 2nd rnd. draft pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward-center Melvin Ely.

Ely did not want to be in Charlotte so maybe he can help a bit.

TrojanHorse03
02-13-2007, 06:41 PM
The only problem with your analogy is:

1. Miami is known to have slackers like Shaq who sandbag, but the Spurs aren't.
2. Dallas is a lot better this year.

Except for when the Spurs were winning championship the were competing with the Lakers with proven winners. The Mavs are good but the Spurs are use to turning it up in the playoffs, which is all that masters. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time the Mavericks lost to an inferior team :p .

lonny23
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Except for when the Spurs were winning championship the were competing with the Lakers with proven winners. The Mavs are good but the Spurs are use to turning it up in the playoffs, which is all that masters. And it certainly wouldn't be the first time the Mavericks lost to an inferior team :p .
I was at the Nets-Spurs game and SA won't beat Dallas in the playoffs.

NJ didn't have 3 of their 4 best players, but it was still a decent win.

TexasRed6x
02-14-2007, 09:42 AM

Duh.

PaulinPlano
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
The way my Spurs are playing right now... they might be able to beat Dallas. The problem is, they would have to beat them 3 or 4 times. And they might only be able to beat them once. SA needs production from Finley, Brent Barry, Bruce Bowen, Elson, Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto.

They need Jacque Vaughn to improve and replace a very lost Beno Udrih.

They need Melvin Ely and Matt Bonner to begin to contribute.

That is a lot of needs. Too many I fear. But I will be cheering them on the rest of the way. You never know. You have to play the game.

PaulinPlano
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM

Marcus Williams had a better game than Kidd could have had. 10 assists! WOW.

TrojanHorse03
02-14-2007, 11:00 AM

Im not saying the Spurs are better than the Mavericks, but the Spurs aren't uncapable of beating anybody in the playoffs.

toddg
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
an old ABA fan are we paul? most of us old ABA fans still got some luv for the spurs..but im a mavs kind of guy these days.

PaulinPlano
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
an old ABA fan are we paul? most of us old ABA fans still got some luv for the spurs..but im a mavs kind of guy these days.

I watched the Iceman drain 40 points a night like it was no big thing when I was a kid.

PaulinPlano
02-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Ok... that is more like it. Elson scoing 12 points and :eek: grabbing 18 boards!:eek: against Detroit. Not bad.

It is a good start!

Mac Is Back
02-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm looking forward to the Spurs turning it up next week and for the rest of the season.

Also

I can't wait for somebody to beat Dallas in the POs. ESPECIALLY in the Finals. Oh man. I would be the happiest person alive.

Reaganrattler07
02-18-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm going to the game on Tuesday, so I'm thinkin' they'll look better after the break.

lonny23
02-19-2007, 09:02 AM
I really don't care if the Spurs or anybody else gets better after the break. Nobody is going to beat Dallas unless they get worse.

If you think beating Dallas is hard right now, wait until they actually play their starters more and turn up the intensity and will run through a brick wall to take the title.

Mac Is Back
02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
I really don't care if the Spurs or anybody else gets better after the break. Nobody is going to beat Dallas unless they get worse.

If you think beating Dallas is hard right now, wait until they actually play their starters more and turn up the intensity and will run through a brick wall to take the title.

Well sure. But then again the last time the Spurs were themselves, Dallas nearly blew a 3-1 series lead. Granted, the Mavs may be much better now, but things change in the playoffs. I won't concede any fear of playing Dallas until they win 4 out of 7 games against the Spurs, should that matchup occur. If they do that, then I will have wished we weren't playing the Mavs.

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Hmmm... Dallas had a little trouble with the Heat who were missing the 2006 Finals MVP!:p

gtown04
02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Hmmm... Dallas had a little trouble with the Heat who were missing the 2006 Finals MVP!:p

How so?
Up by 32 points in the 4th quarter. Id say thats handling the Heat pretty well.

lonny23
02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Well sure. But then again the last time the Spurs were themselves, Dallas nearly blew a 3-1 series lead. Granted, the Mavs may be much better now, but things change in the playoffs. I won't concede any fear of playing Dallas until they win 4 out of 7 games against the Spurs, should that matchup occur. If they do that, then I will have wished we weren't playing the Mavs.
The Mavericks have lost 2 games in the last 2 1/2 months and won 45 of the last 50 games. Something drastic is going to have to happen in the next few months for them to not win the title.

Historically, not much is different in the playoffs. The team with a better record almost always wins playoff series and teams on the Mavs pace sure don't fall very often in the playoffs.

As far as last year goes, I'll say that I feel the Spurs were the 2nd best team in the NBA behind Dallas, but it was close. Neither Miami or Phoenix were as good as SA was. Game by Game I look at it this way last year:

Game 1: Spurs deservedly won a close game.

Game 2: Mavs won in blowout and deserved to win in spite of refs effort to help Dallas early on.

Game 3: The Spurs got ripped off and should've won a game Dallas ultimately won with a lot more free throws.

Game 4: Mavs deserved to win a close game.

Game 5: The refs ripped Dallas off and they shouldn't have lost a close game.

Game 6: The refs ripped Dallas again and they lost a close game they should've won.

Game 7: Most of this game was highway robbery and Dallas should've won in a blowout instead of in OT.

lonny23
02-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Barea and Ager just didn't play well and that big 4th quarter lead lost some of it's luster, but Miami never got closer than 12 in the 4th Quarter. They weren't playing like Phoenix and trying to run the score up by leaving the rotation guys in.

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 04:07 PM
How so?
Up by 32 points in the 4th quarter. Id say thats handling the Heat pretty well.

20 points of that lead disappeared... Thats a little trouble...

PaulinPlano
02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
The Mavericks have lost 2 games in the last 2 1/2 months and won 45 of the last 50 games. Something drastic is going to have to happen in the next few months for them to not win the title.

Historically, not much is different in the playoffs. The team with a better record almost always wins playoff series and teams on the Mavs pace sure don't fall very often in the playoffs.

As far as last year goes, I'll say that I feel the Spurs were the 2nd best team in the NBA behind Dallas, but it was close. Neither Miami or Phoenix were as good as SA was. Game by Game I look at it this way last year:

Game 2: Mavs won in blowout and deserved to win in spite of refs effort to help Dallas early on.

Game 3: The Spurs got ripped off and should've won a game Dallas ultimately won with a lot more free throws.

Game 6: The refs ripped Dallas again and they lost a close game they should've won.

Game 7: Most of this game was highway robbery and Dallas should've won in a blowout instead of in OT.

There is no doubt that Dallas is the best team right now. They are the favorite to win a title right now with the way they are playing. Even, when they don't play that well... they are still getting Wins.

But this game is mental. Dallas has a ton of confidence right now. But they are still a young team. And when the playoffs roll around, we will see how they handle the pressure. All the pressure is on Dallas. They are expected to win the title this year. They should have won it last year (dang it Ginobili), but it was a catastrophic fall. Will they mentally hold up? I think they will because of AJ. But we shall see.

lonny23
02-23-2007, 10:57 PM
There is no doubt that Dallas is the best team right now. They are the favorite to win a title right now with the way they are playing. Even, when they don't play that well... they are still getting Wins.

But this game is mental. Dallas has a ton of confidence right now. But they are still a young team. And when the playoffs roll around, we will see how they handle the pressure. All the pressure is on Dallas. They are expected to win the title this year. They should have won it last year (dang it Ginobili), but it was a catastrophic fall. Will they mentally hold up? I think they will because of AJ. But we shall see.
I think they're where they need to be mentally this time. I think early in this year they weren't there yet.

Mac Is Back
02-24-2007, 11:15 PM

Spurs 63-19
Mavs 60-22

Mavs win series 4-3.

Mavs 60-22
Heat 50-32

Heat win series 4-2.

:D

gtown04
02-25-2007, 03:55 AM
Spurs 63-19
Mavs 60-22

Mavs win series 4-3.

Mavs 60-22
Heat 50-32

Heat win series 4-2.

The key word in his statement is "almost".

lonny23
02-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Spurs 63-19
Mavs 60-22

Mavs win series 4-3.

Mavs 60-22
Heat 50-32

Heat win series 4-2.

:DThere are 15 playoff series each year and the team with the better record averages winning like 12 or 13 of the 15 each year. I'll just say that it's very rare when a team more than 5 games worse than another team actually wins a series. In those cases, you mostly have a team coming off of injuries or a team who has won past titles. I bet you can't find 10 times in the last 27 years since 1980 that a team 10 or more games worse than another team won a series like Miami did twice last year.

Mac Is Back
02-25-2007, 06:17 PM
There are 15 playoff series each year and the team with the better record averages winning like 12 or 13 of the 15 each year. I'll just say that it's very rare when a team more than 5 games worse than another team actually wins a series. In those cases, you mostly have a team coming off of injuries or a team who has won past titles. I bet you can't find 10 times in the last 27 years since 1980 that a team 10 or more games worse than another team won a series like Miami did twice last year.

I do this to aggravate you.

lonny23
02-25-2007, 06:30 PM
There are 15 playoff series each year and the team with the better record averages winning like 12 or 13 of the 15 each year. I'll just say that it's very rare when a team more than 5 games worse than another team actually wins a series. In those cases, you mostly have a team coming off of injuries or a team who has won past titles. I bet you can't find 10 times in the last 27 years since 1980 that a team 10 or more games worse than another team won a series like Miami did twice last year.
OK,

I ran the stats.

There have been 389 playoff series since 1980.

The team with the equal or better record won 301 times (77%).
The worse record won 88 times (23%).

Of the 88 worse teams,

Somebody 5-9 games worse has won 23 times (6% of all series).
Somebody more than 10 games worse has won 17 times (4%).

In most of the cases where teams 5 or more games worse than other teams, you'll see that those teams usually won multiple series. Miami won 1 series in 2005-2006 where they were more than 10 games worse than their opponent and 1 in the 5-9 range. The 1994-1995 Rockets had 4 of the 5 cases of a team 10 or more games worse winning a series. We all know about cases like the 1993-1994 Nuggets.

The trend in the NBA really is moving away from major upsets. There have been 2 cases in the last 11 years where a team 10 or more games worse has won a series and only 6 where a 5-9 games worse team won a series with 3 of those 6 in the 1999 strike-shortened season.

The percentages in the last 11 years are:

165 series
135 equal or better (82%)
30 worse (18%)
6 5-9 worse (4%)
2 10+ worse (1%)

Now you know why I always argue with the statement "Everything changes in the playoffs". I never had run the numbers before, but I knew the regular season had always been a good barometer of the postseason.

Here are your current NBA standings. You can draw your own conclusions about teams' chances of beating Dallas in the playoffs. I'll tell you it's going to be harder than it looks just because they really don't play all-out for 48 minutes right now and they have extra incentive. The win pace they're on is in line with the great title teams and they have extra motivation that can't be measured by numbers.

Dallas 46-9 .836 (69 win pace)

Mavs 2-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Phoenix 42-13 .764 4 GB (63 win pace)

Mavs 3-2 vs. this tier with 2 games left (2H 0R).
San Antonio 38-18 .679 8½ GB (56 win pace)
Utah 37-18 .673 9 GB (55 win pace)

Mavs 4-3 vs. this tier with 3 games left (1H 2R).
Detroit 36-19 .655 10 GB (54 win pace)
Houston 35-20 .636 11 GB (52 win pace)
Washington 31-23 .574 14½ GB (47 win pace)
Cleveland 32-24 .571 14½ GB (47 win pace)

Mavs 15-2 vs. this tier with 3 games left (0H 3 R).
Toronto 31-25 .554 15½ GB (45 win pace)
Chicago 32-26 .552 15½ GB (45 win pace)
LA Lakers 31-25 .554 15½ GB (45 win pace)
Indiana 29-25 .537 16½ GB (44 win pace)
Miami 27-28 .491 19 GB (40 win pace)
NO/Oklahoma City 27-29 .482 19½ GB (40 win pace)
Denver 26-28 .481 19½ GB (39 win pace)

Mavs 12-2 vs. this tier with 13 games left (6H 7R). 2 losses in first 4 games.
Orlando 27-30 .474 20 GB
LA Clippers 26-29 .473 20 GB
New Jersey 26-30 .464 20½ GB
Minnesota 26-30 .464 20½ GB
Golden State 26-30 .464 20½ GB
New York 25-31 .446 21½ GB
Sacramento 23-31 .426 22½ GB
Portland 24-33 .421 23 GB
Atlanta 22-33 .400 24 GB
Charlotte 22-34 .393 24½ GB

Mavs 6-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Seattle 21-34 .382 25 GB
Milwaukee 20-37 .351 27 GB
Philadelphia 18-38 .321 28½ GB

Mavs 4-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Memphis 15-42 .263 32 GB
Boston 13-42 .236 33 GB

I'll guarantee you right now that a healthy Dallas team won't lose to any of the teams 20 or more games behind them (15 teams) in the playoffs. Those 15 teams also account for 17 of the Mavs last 27 games during the season, too.

I always like playing the math game so here goes:

46-9 plus
2-0 vs. the worst tier
2-0 against the next to last tier
probable 13-0 vs. that big tier 20-25 games behind
equals 63-9 with 10 games left.

Dallas really has no business losing in Denver and probably won't, they never lose to the Hornets, and I still have a sneaky suspicion they'll beat the Lakers on the road. 66-9.

I don't think the Mavs will lose to Cleveland in Dallas, but they could possibly lose on the road on the back half of a back-to-back, but they'll want to win that game and not lose in that situation this year. Detroit could beat them, but my guess is they'll want to win after losing to Detroit in Dallas in December. 69-9.

Utah and San Antonio come to Dallas. They're very good teams, but I'm not picking them to win on the road. 71-9.

That leaves 2 games against Phoenix. Obviously these games are losable, but since Dallas has incentive to win, I'm not picking against them here either. 2 more wins would be 73-9 and a monstrous win streak of 38 games to end the season.

Considering how well Dallas has played with incentive this year, they really don't have a lot of losable games left. They have many that they have no business losing and probably won't. Most of the toughest games are one's they play their best in and there are still several games that they want to get revenge in. Dallas might not win 73, but they sure enough are going to win 70 if Dirk doesn't get hurt. I think this team takes pride in the home winning streak, they want to play well against the best teams, they don't want to lose on the back half of back-to-backs, and I really think they want to make an assault on both the Lakers winning streak (33 games) and the Bulls record (72-10).

lonny23
02-25-2007, 06:35 PM
I do this to aggravate you.
I realize that, but I wanted to show why I say what I say about the playoffs. The Mavs are going to win at least 70 games. If they don't match the Bulls this year, I bet they try to take them down next year.

Reaganrattler07
02-25-2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, only Lonny could re-quote himself with one of his "research posts" that next to no one reads.

TexasRed6x
02-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm looking forward to the Spurs turning it up next week and for the rest of the season.

Also

I can't wait for somebody to beat Dallas in the POs. ESPECIALLY in the Finals. Oh man. I would be the happiest person alive.

The Spurs might rethink their decision to not make a deal at the deadline. They could struggle down the stretch and might be the 4th or 5th seed at best.

PaulinPlano
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Utah and San Antonio come to Dallas. They're very good teams, but I'm not picking them to win on the road. 71-9.

San Antonio is about to set an NBA road record for the last decade!:eek:

lonny23
02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
San Antonio is about to set an NBA road record for the last decade!:eek:
1. Yes, the Spurs are a very good road team.
2. A few years down the road, your record will belong to Dallas when we have 10 good years of sustained performance. We're 3 years behind you.
3. This Mavs team is shades of the 85-86 Celtics at home.

BTW, I just did a quick run of the numbers since the start of the 2000-2001 season.

Mavs road 170-102
Spurs road 172-104

Like I said, give us a few more years and we'll have the record for a decade. The Mavs can't put up a fight from 1997-1998 through 1999-2000 right now.

Mac Is Back
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
1. Yes, the Spurs are a very good road team.
2. A few years down the road, your record will belong to Dallas when we have 10 good years of sustained performance. We're 3 years behind you.
3. This Mavs team is shades of the 85-86 Celtics at home.

BTW, I just did a quick run of the numbers since the start of the 2000-2001 season.

Mavs road 170-102
Spurs road 172-104

Like I said, give us a few more years and we'll have the record for a decade. The Mavs can't put up a fight from 1997-1998 through 1999-2000 right now.

Win a title. That's what people will acknowledge about the Mavs. Especially since nobody within the Spurs organization cares about those meniscule records. They mean nothing because they don't put Stern on your court with the Larry O'Brien trophy in his hands.

Mac Is Back
02-26-2007, 08:14 PM
OK,

I ran the stats.

There have been 389 playoff series since 1980.

The team with the equal or better record won 301 times (77%).
The worse record won 88 times (23%).

Of the 88 worse teams,

Somebody 5-9 games worse has won 23 times (6% of all series).
Somebody more than 10 games worse has won 17 times (4%).

In most of the cases where teams 5 or more games worse than other teams, you'll see that those teams usually won multiple series. Miami won 1 series in 2005-2006 where they were more than 10 games worse than their opponent and 1 in the 5-9 range. The 1994-1995 Rockets had 4 of the 5 cases of a team 10 or more games worse winning a series. We all know about cases like the 1993-1994 Nuggets.

The trend in the NBA really is moving away from major upsets. There have been 2 cases in the last 11 years where a team 10 or more games worse has won a series and only 6 where a 5-9 games worse team won a series with 3 of those 6 in the 1999 strike-shortened season.

The percentages in the last 11 years are:

165 series
135 equal or better (82%)
30 worse (18%)
6 5-9 worse (4%)
2 10+ worse (1%)

Now you know why I always argue with the statement "Everything changes in the playoffs". I never had run the numbers before, but I knew the regular season had always been a good barometer of the postseason.

Here are your current NBA standings. You can draw your own conclusions about teams' chances of beating Dallas in the playoffs. I'll tell you it's going to be harder than it looks just because they really don't play all-out for 48 minutes right now and they have extra incentive. The win pace they're on is in line with the great title teams and they have extra motivation that can't be measured by numbers.

Dallas 46-9 .836 (69 win pace)

Mavs 2-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Phoenix 42-13 .764 4 GB (63 win pace)

Mavs 3-2 vs. this tier with 2 games left (2H 0R).
San Antonio 38-18 .679 8½ GB (56 win pace)
Utah 37-18 .673 9 GB (55 win pace)

Mavs 4-3 vs. this tier with 3 games left (1H 2R).
Detroit 36-19 .655 10 GB (54 win pace)
Houston 35-20 .636 11 GB (52 win pace)
Washington 31-23 .574 14½ GB (47 win pace)
Cleveland 32-24 .571 14½ GB (47 win pace)

Mavs 15-2 vs. this tier with 3 games left (0H 3 R).
Toronto 31-25 .554 15½ GB (45 win pace)
Chicago 32-26 .552 15½ GB (45 win pace)
LA Lakers 31-25 .554 15½ GB (45 win pace)
Indiana 29-25 .537 16½ GB (44 win pace)
Miami 27-28 .491 19 GB (40 win pace)
NO/Oklahoma City 27-29 .482 19½ GB (40 win pace)
Denver 26-28 .481 19½ GB (39 win pace)

Mavs 12-2 vs. this tier with 13 games left (6H 7R). 2 losses in first 4 games.
Orlando 27-30 .474 20 GB
LA Clippers 26-29 .473 20 GB
New Jersey 26-30 .464 20½ GB
Minnesota 26-30 .464 20½ GB
Golden State 26-30 .464 20½ GB
New York 25-31 .446 21½ GB
Sacramento 23-31 .426 22½ GB
Portland 24-33 .421 23 GB
Atlanta 22-33 .400 24 GB
Charlotte 22-34 .393 24½ GB

Mavs 6-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Seattle 21-34 .382 25 GB
Milwaukee 20-37 .351 27 GB
Philadelphia 18-38 .321 28½ GB

Mavs 4-0 vs. this tier with 2 games left (1H 1R).
Memphis 15-42 .263 32 GB
Boston 13-42 .236 33 GB

I'll guarantee you right now that a healthy Dallas team won't lose to any of the teams 20 or more games behind them (15 teams) in the playoffs. Those 15 teams also account for 17 of the Mavs last 27 games during the season, too.

I always like playing the math game so here goes:

46-9 plus
2-0 vs. the worst tier
2-0 against the next to last tier
probable 13-0 vs. that big tier 20-25 games behind
equals 63-9 with 10 games left.

Dallas really has no business losing in Denver and probably won't, they never lose to the Hornets, and I still have a sneaky suspicion they'll beat the Lakers on the road. 66-9.

I don't think the Mavs will lose to Cleveland in Dallas, but they could possibly lose on the road on the back half of a back-to-back, but they'll want to win that game and not lose in that situation this year. Detroit could beat them, but my guess is they'll want to win after losing to Detroit in Dallas in December. 69-9.

That leaves 2 games against Phoenix. Obviously these games are losable, but since Dallas has incentive to win, I'm not picking against them here either. 2 more wins would be 73-9 and a monstrous win streak of 38 games to end the season.

Considering how well Dallas has played with incentive this year, they really don't have a lot of losable games left. They have many that they have no business losing and probably won't. Most of the toughest games are one's they play their best in and there are still several games that they want to get revenge in. Dallas might not win 73, but they sure enough are going to win 70 if Dirk doesn't get hurt. I think this team takes pride in the home winning streak, they want to play well against the best teams, they don't want to lose on the back half of back-to-backs, and I really think they want to make an assault on both the Lakers winning streak (33 games) and the Bulls record (72-10).

Dream on, buddy. The Mavs are a team that has the talent to win all those games, they're a team that could win all 82. But the thing is, it only means so much when the teams are compared on paper. What makes the difference is what goes down in the 48 minutes to decide which column has a number added to it.

AJ doesn't seem to me to be the kind of coach interested in busting records nobody really cares much about anymore. The reason I think this is because he's the prodigy of Pop, and Pop doesn't care about those things. Why? Because they don't win titles. Being the number one seed doesn't win titles. It may help, but it doesn't hand anything to you.

The Mavs will win a lot of games because Phoenix is no doubt going to be on their heels for a long time. But they will also lose more too. Somebody on some night is going to drill a buzzer beater, or one team is going to head into the game with a mentality that knocks Dallas on its rear.

But a record means nothing. I have no doubt the Mavs will be a juggernaut in the playoffs this year. I'm also not saying they haven't deserved what they have received thus far.

But if AJ is the kind of coach I think he is, he'll win games because there's no sense in losing them. Chasing records and winning streaks is nothing but an arrogant distraction that will, considering the youth and (not inexperience, but lack of savvy) the Mavs have, no doubt be detrimental.

If I were a Mavs fan, I would be concerned with making sure the team is ready for the playoffs, not pulling all available spotlight to some pointless achievements.

lonny23
02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
Win a title. That's what people will acknowledge about the Mavs. Especially since nobody within the Spurs organization cares about those meniscule records. They mean nothing because they don't put Stern on your court with the Larry O'Brien trophy in his hands.
1. They'll win one and that's what I care about the most.
2. I still want the Mavs to beat everybody along the way.
3. The Spurs have never had a good enough team to win that many games.

lonny23
02-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Dream on, buddy. The Mavs are a team that has the talent to win all those games, they're a team that could win all 82. But the thing is, it only means so much when the teams are compared on paper. What makes the difference is what goes down in the 48 minutes to decide which column has a number added to it.

AJ doesn't seem to me to be the kind of coach interested in busting records nobody really cares much about anymore. The reason I think this is because he's the prodigy of Pop, and Pop doesn't care about those things. Why? Because they don't win titles. Being the number one seed doesn't win titles. It may help, but it doesn't hand anything to you.

The Mavs will win a lot of games because Phoenix is no doubt going to be on their heels for a long time. But they will also lose more too. Somebody on some night is going to drill a buzzer beater, or one team is going to head into the game with a mentality that knocks Dallas on its rear.

But a record means nothing. I have no doubt the Mavs will be a juggernaut in the playoffs this year. I'm also not saying they haven't deserved what they have received thus far.

But if AJ is the kind of coach I think he is, he'll win games because there's no sense in losing them. Chasing records and winning streaks is nothing but an arrogant distraction that will, considering the youth and (not inexperience, but lack of savvy) the Mavs have, no doubt be detrimental.

If I were a Mavs fan, I would be concerned with making sure the team is ready for the playoffs, not pulling all available spotlight to some pointless achievements.
It's not so much the records that Avery is chasing. He just wants them to win every game and play well for 48 minutes. That's going to lead to wins. Avery did tell them they'd have 3 or 4 double digit winning streaks this year. If you saw all the guys Dallas is playing, you'd know they're not going out there trying to bust the Bulls per se. They're winning all these games, but they're resting guys all during games to keep them fresh.

I'll go loss-by-loss:

Spurs- They were just better and Dallas was in a funk.
Rockets- Dallas just didn't come ready to play.
Warriors- A classic NBA rip-off.
Clippers- Dallas just didn't have it.

Now 0-4, something happened on the road because they toughed out a game in Phoenix and won 12 in a row. Some games were easy and they started geting soft.

They lost 3 of the next 5 games alternating wins and losses in early December:

Wizards- Bad defense and bad habits from winning streak.
Pistons- Just took it to Dallas in Texas. Last home loss.
Jazz- Cleaned Mavs clock in Utah.

That left them at 14-7. The light came on and they started to play every game. They won 13 games in a row.

Lakers- It was an NBA ripoff.

8 more wins in a row.

Bulls- Mavs played hard and came back, but could never shoot that night. They win most of these games, but it wasn't good enough that night.

12 more wins in a row.

Dallas hasn't lost to a mediocre team since November. They should be 34-1 in the last 2 1/2 months instead of 33-2. They COULD have a bad shooting night against a playoff team on the road and lose a game, but it sure hasn't been happening so far. They COULD lose a home game, but they've won 20 in a row at home. My point is that all the signs are there to say they won't lose another game, but if they do lose games, it's probably going to be 3 or less.

The achievement is not pointless, either. The teams that roll through seasons and playoffs get talked about the most. Sometimes you hearbtalk about the best teams that don't win titles. Take what Pop says with a grain of salt. He's never had a team good enough to win 70 games because they've always had older and slower players and don't do well in back-to-backs. I'm not taking anything away from what they do in the playoffs, but I will say Pop would rather win 65 than 55. It just sounds better to downplay winning 65 because he's never done it. It's just like he said he was happy with the team because he knew they couldn't trade for anybody to be better.

PaulinPlano
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
1. They'll win one and that's what I care about the most.
2. I still want the Mavs to beat everybody along the way.
3. The Spurs have never had a good enough team to win that many games.

The Spurs have never had a bad enough team to lose an NBA Finals series either. :D

http://www.nbatr.com/images/stories/spurs.jpg

PaulinPlano
02-27-2007, 04:29 PM
They COULD have a bad shooting night against a playoff team on the road and lose a game, but it sure hasn't been happening so far.

The hole in this theory is that Dallas does not play top notch defenses most nights. You sound just like most of the pundits on TV. The next time Dallas loses to San Antonio, you will say they had a bad shooting night. The fact is that they will have a bad shooting night because of great defense.

Everything else you have chronicled is pointless. Pointless to everyone except you and the great Norm Hitzges. Stat Man.:D

lonny23
02-28-2007, 01:17 AM
The Spurs have never had a bad enough team to lose an NBA Finals series either. :D

http://www.nbatr.com/images/stories/spurs.jpg
That's funny!:D

lonny23
02-28-2007, 01:22 AM
The hole in this theory is that Dallas does not play top notch defenses most nights. You sound just like most of the pundits on TV. The next time Dallas loses to San Antonio, you will say they had a bad shooting night. The fact is that they will have a bad shooting night because of great defense.

Everything else you have chronicled is pointless. Pointless to everyone except you and the great Norm Hitzges. Stat Man.:D
It's not a hole because they've been winning the games against the best defenses.

For the record, they shot 31.2% in that Bulls game and were in the mid-20's for most of the game. It's an anomaly for Dallas to be that bad. I'm not talking about the Spurs holding Dallas to 38% or something like that.

This much I know. Dallas and the Spurs can win when they shoot badly. The Suns can lose on some great shooting nights.

PaulinPlano
02-28-2007, 04:19 PM
This much I know. Dallas and the Spurs can win when they shoot badly. The Suns can lose on some great shooting nights.

TRUE!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
02-28-2007, 04:54 PM
It's not a hole because they've been winning the games against the best defenses.

ABSOLUTELY! This is the reason why Phoenix WON'T win the title like alot of these knuckleheads think. Before the all-star break, Dallas played 2 games on the road where they played average. One was against an average Milwaukee team, and the other was against a very good Houston team that also happens to be a huge in-state, and divisional rival. Dallas won both of those games, and San Antonio has also done the same before. ONLY championship caliber teams can do that, and like you said Lonny, Phoenix can, and has lost, when they shot the ball great.

lonny23
02-28-2007, 04:59 PM
ABSOLUTELY! This is the reason why Phoenix WON'T win the title like alot of these knuckleheads think. Before the all-star break, Dallas played 2 games on the road where they played average. One was against an average Milwaukee team, and the other was against a very good Houston team that also happens to be a huge in-state, and divisional rival. Dallas won both of those games, and San Antonio has also done the same before. ONLY championship caliber teams can do that, and like you said Lonny, Phoenix can, and has lost, when they shot the ball great.
Dallas started off the game playing horrible against the Bucks. It took lockdown 4th quarter defense for them to win that game. I was at the Spurs game and Dallas trailed all game before pulling it out with like a 16-2 run to end the game.

The Twolves ended Phoenix's last big winning streak in a game where the Suns shots the ball great and scored points. The Suns problem is they played horrible defense and let KG go off for like 45.

PaulinPlano
02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Dallas started off the game playing horrible against the Bucks. It took lockdown 4th quarter defense for them to win that game. I was at the Spurs game and Dallas trailed all game before pulling it out with like a 16-2 run to end the game.

The Twolves ended Phoenix's last big winning streak in a game where the Suns shots the ball great and scored points. The Suns problem is they played horrible defense and let KG go off for like 45.

KG would look good in Silver and Black!:p

Matthew 2000 Eagle
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM

That's Phoenix's problem, no defense! You can't win a NBA title without playing defense. The Mavs were Phoenix before Phoenix was Phoenix, exciting to watch, but, they can't stop anybody. Not to mention, the Suns lost to the Timberwolves on a night where they shot the ball great, just like you mentioned. The keyword? TIMBERWOLVES!!!!!!

Matthew 2000 Eagle
02-28-2007, 05:57 PM

That would scare the living crap out of me.

lonny23
02-28-2007, 06:52 PM
You would literally have a 2-man team if you got KG. You lose almost all your depth making the salaries match.

The Spurs are better without him than what they'd be with him.

You could trade Duncan and either Manu or Tony and maybe throw in a few players or you can keep Duncan, trade both Tony and Manu plus half the rest of the rotation.

I'll say it again. The Spurs are out of luck for making big-time trades to get better because the cost is the Big 3. You better strike gold in the draft or find some free agent on the cheap, but those guys are more likely to go to Dallas than the Spurs.

TexasRed6x
02-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Oh if that were to happen, we would have a deadly frontcourt with him and Duncan but that will never happen.

PaulinPlano
03-04-2007, 02:07 AM
You would literally have a 2-man team if you got KG. You lose almost all your depth making the salaries match.

The Spurs are better without him than what they'd be with him.

You could trade Duncan and either Manu or Tony and maybe throw in a few players or you can keep Duncan, trade both Tony and Manu plus half the rest of the rotation.

I'll say it again. The Spurs are out of luck for making big-time trades to get better because the cost is the Big 3. You better strike gold in the draft or find some free agent on the cheap, but those guys are more likely to go to Dallas than the Spurs.

You would move KG to center. They would be scary. Cap problems doing that I agree. I think there may be a better chance of grabbing Ray Allen. Now that would be sweet.

DiamondJ2
03-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Lonny, you are a great supporter of the Judson Rockets, where did you go wrong in choosing the Mavs in the NBA? And please don't tell me you are an Yankees fan, too. Heaven forbid two wrongs wouldn't make a right.

lonny23
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Lonny, you are a great supporter of the Judson Rockets, where did you go wrong in choosing the Mavs in the NBA? And please don't tell me you are an Yankees fan, too. Heaven forbid two wrongs wouldn't make a right.
The first basketball game I ever watched was Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals. I instantly liked basketball and decided to be a fan of the new NBA expansion franchise, the Dallas Mavericks, as a kid living in Longview. I might've been a Spurs fan if I had lived around San Antonio. As it was, I always liked the Rockets a little more than the Spurs until I decided I couldn't stand the Spurs starting in 2001. All in all, the Spurs winning a title isn't nearly as bad as some teams winning a title.

I hate the Yankees and every other NYC team.

lonny23
03-04-2007, 10:50 AM
You would move KG to center. They would be scary. Cap problems doing that I agree. I think there may be a better chance of grabbing Ray Allen. Now that would be sweet.
KG doesn't want to play Center. He's too much of a perimeter guy. Personally, I think the Spurs best move right now is to NOT trade for a big name. They get more by keeping the Big Three together than they do by trading 2 of them for another big name.

DiamondJ2
03-04-2007, 02:45 PM
The first basketball game I ever watched was Game 6 of the 1980 NBA Finals. I instantly liked basketball and decided to be a fan of the new NBA expansion franchise, the Dallas Mavericks, as a kid living in Longview. I might've been a Spurs fan if I had lived around San Antonio. As it was, I always liked the Rockets a little more than the Spurs until I decided I couldn't stand the Spurs starting in 2001. All in all, the Spurs winning a title isn't nearly as bad as some teams winning a title.

I hate the Yankees and every other NYC team.

Now, I understand your Dallas infactuation. Your last statement allows you off the hook--permanently.

lonny23
03-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Now, I understand your Dallas infactuation. Your last statement allows you off the hook--permanently.
Dude, you don't even come close to understanding how I feel about the Mavericks!:D I don't think anybody but me does understand it.

I take great pride in being an original fan and I loved that team in the 80's and hated the vaunted Lakers. The 90's were a pit outside of the temporary revival with the Three J's. As much as I've loved my favorite teams in the various sports over the years, none can match the Mavs this decade. It's a combo of my rivalry with Spurs fans, the Mavs exciting play, and the fact that Dirk is my favorite basketball player of all time. I grew to tire of Nellie, but I love Avery's attitude. He doesn't accept any letdowns and wants to and expects to win every game. He prepares for every situation and even practiced the steal on the breakway from the Magic game. He gameplans defense for each opponent vs. the same scheme for everybody. I hate letdowns and you don't know how proud I am that those guys are going out there winning every game. I get mad at them for lollygagging in games, but they play to win every game. The funny thing about this year is that I've grown to respect the Bulls far more than I ever did in the past because what they did in 95-96 and 96-97 was amazing. I have a never give up, give your best effort always, and refuse to lose attitude. That's what the Mavs have this year. I want them to crush every team. I said something about this year being a revenge tour and that's what it's turned into. I hope they never lose their edge and just keep crushing teams and making the NBA pay. I asked for nothing but blood and guts from the whole NBA after last year. I get mad anytime Dallas loses. My focus all year has been towards the playoffs, but also to beat the Bulls record.

Reaganrattler07
03-04-2007, 05:45 PM
You'd almost think Lonny was a player after reading that.:rolleyes:

Mac Is Back
03-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Speaking of the Spurs, they're starting to make some noise.

The Mavs haven't won impressively recently, either.

Reaganrattler07
03-04-2007, 09:04 PM

^
^
^
^
^
^
Intelligent

Hey, I got some Reagan v. Mac baseball highlights I should send you! I made them for the Rattler Report...think you may be interested:D

DiamondJ2
03-04-2007, 09:08 PM
They won't beat the Bulls record of season wins, but they have been very impressive lately.

Mac Is Back
03-05-2007, 08:28 AM
^
^
^
^
^
^
Intelligent

Hey, I got some Reagan v. Mac baseball highlights I should send you! I made them for the Rattler Report...think you may be interested:D

No thanks, but you're more than welcome to send me highlights from the Mac-Reagan Soccer game. I need them for Just For Brahmas. :D

I should try and give you my highlight montages from the football season, too.

TexasRed6x
03-05-2007, 09:45 AM

The Spurs are on a roll right now.

lonny23
03-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Don't let the scores fool you. Dallas does what they need to do to win games. Avery is playing different people and just tinkering with the team, but making sure they stay close or keep a lead. Phoenix sits there and plays the same 8 guys and goes balls to the wall all game trying to score. Many games Dallas only plays well enough to win. Avery doesn't coach to maximize victory margins.

lonny23
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
They won't beat the Bulls record of season wins, but they have been very impressive lately.
They might not, but there isn't a game on the schedule that's a definite loss. I figure they'll be favored and should win the rest of the home games and none of the road games are unwinnable.

PaulinPlano
03-06-2007, 09:32 AM

The Spurs sure have... but we have to wait until mid April before the big boys mix it up again.

PaulinPlano
03-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Don't let the scores fool you. Dallas does what they need to do to win games. Avery is playing different people and just tinkering with the team, but making sure they stay close or keep a lead. Phoenix sits there and plays the same 8 guys and goes balls to the wall all game trying to score. Many games Dallas only plays well enough to win. Avery doesn't coach to maximize victory margins.

The last 2 games, the Mavericks have not looked as sharp. They were fortunate to beat Cleveland and Orlando. They had a very tough game against Orlando... and Orlando has nothing... but they are both Ws.

lonny23
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
The last 2 games, the Mavericks have not looked as sharp. They were fortunate to beat Cleveland and Orlando. They had a very tough game against Orlando... and Orlando has nothing... but they are both Ws.
I agree they played like crap. I gripe and complain about close games, but they win those games, too. They should be better vs. New Jersey and the Lakers.

dada
03-06-2007, 01:20 PM
The ROCKETS are playing like crap since the break. Yao is back, but we need a PG....BAD!

lonny23
03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
The ROCKETS are playing like crap since the break. Yao is back, but we need a PG....BAD!
You guys have needed a PG for a few years now. Then again, Skip to My Lou's pedigree said he wouldn't be who you needed.

Injuries are like cancer. You can fight them for a while, but they start eating away at you after a while. Almost every team starts to lose more and more as injured players stay out longer.

dada
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
You guys have needed a PG for a few years now. Then again, Skip to My Lou's pedigree said he wouldn't be who you needed.

Injuries are like cancer. You can fight them for a while, but they start eating away at you after a while. Almost every team starts to lose more and more as injured players stay out longer.

The scary thing is....they struggle when Alston isnt in the game. He's good at controlling the Tempo. With Yao back, teams won't be able to double and triple team McGrady like they have been lately.

lonny23
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
I agree they played like crap. I gripe and complain about close games, but they win those games, too. They should be better vs. New Jersey and the Lakers.
Hey Avery,

How many wins do the Mavs have this year?

FIVE-OH!:D

That only works for a few more hours because it's about to be 51.

Mavs 103
NJ 87

lonny23
03-06-2007, 03:16 PM
The scary thing is....they struggle when Alston isnt in the game. He's good at controlling the Tempo. With Yao back, teams won't be able to double and triple team McGrady like they have been lately.I haven't gotten to see them much this year being out of pocket and all besides the fact I was watching the Mavs before I left.

They'll start playing better with Yao back, but it's going to be tough to win 2 rounds, much less 4.

PaulinPlano
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM

I thought you said you were going to change that avatar!:D

lonny23
03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
I thought you said you were going to change that avatar!:D
I can't because the network blocked me from getting on photobucket, which kept me from using another avatar. I could go without one altogether, but then I thought that the Mavs might be undefeated since I put the avatar up and that's a good thing!:D I tried to go back and see when I decided to put the avatar up since January 25th was the Mavs last loss.

Mac Is Back
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Speaking of undefeated...

The Spurs are 8-0 since the All-Star break and are on a 10-game winning streak. During that stretch they've averaged almost 99 points per game, while allowing only 81. Four times out of the 8 games since the break they've held their opponents to season-low point totals.

Anybody who missed the Manu Ginobili/Michael Finley 3-point Bonanza last night lost out on a remarkable comeback with 2:13 to play in an 8-point game.

PaulinPlano
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
Speaking of undefeated...

The Spurs are 8-0 since the All-Star break and are on a 10-game winning streak. During that stretch they've averaged almost 99 points per game, while allowing only 81. Four times out of the 8 games since the break they've held their opponents to season-low point totals.

Anybody who missed the Manu Ginobili/Michael Finley 3-point Bonanza last night lost out on a remarkable comeback with 2:13 to play in an 8-point game.

A good win despite being against Portland. It was the second game of a back to back road games. Way to gut it our Spurs.:)

Mac Is Back
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM
A good win despite being against Portland. It was the second game of a back to back road games. Way to gut it our Spurs.:)

Winning IS winning. :D

Make it 11 straight. =)

lonny23
03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Winning IS winning. :D

Make it 11 straight. =)
Yes, that's true in the NBA. I look forward to a Mavs-Spurs WCF.

mad_fan
03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes, that's true in the NBA. I look forward to a Mavs-Spurs WCF.

I've lost track...is it a Spurs>Mavs year???

Where the hell are you???

lonny23
03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I've lost track...is it a Spurs>Mavs year???

Where the hell are you???
Outside of the NBA, I just don't feel like posting much on the board. My time away from SA is weakening my interest in 5A and I haven't been too happy about the direction of the Judson program over the last few years. Neither the Rangers or Astros have me juiced about baseball. Turdco needs to step up in the playoffs to get me excited about the Stars. I'm happy the fat guy quit the Cowboys, but I'm not into their free agency like I am about the Mavs everyday. I'm ready for the NCAA Tournament, but don't spend the time on NCAA basketball like the Mavs. I'll get more excited about college football later on. Most of the off-topic threads don't interest me so I don't read them. I never planned it this way, but for all intents and purposes the lonny23 that everybody has known died at post 23K on the new board. 206 posts in the last 2 months would be a lot for many people, but that's nowhere close to what I used to be.

It will be a Mavs>Spurs year again. I'm just acknowledging that the Spurs are better than the Suns. The Suns have pulled out all the stops playing 7-8 guys hard for 48 minutes to blow people out and eke out victories. They fall flat whenever anybody gets hurt and misses a game. The Spurs have not played the top guys major minutes to win all the games and now that they're not lollygagging anymore, they're winning games and this winning streak might last a while. I really think the Spurs can get their streak up over 20 games and they might not lose before they head to Dallas on April 15th. Dallas might not lose another game this regular season and that ABC game might have a 70-9 Mavs team on a 35 game winning streak against a 61-18 Spurs team on a 28 game winning streak. I know everybody will say that there's no way either team keeps winning, but find who is going to beat them. The Spurs should win the 12 home games and the 5 road games are against teams with losing records. They might slip up at home and they could lose a back half of a back to back on the road, but I'm not picking it. After Dallas winning 37 of the last 39 games and the 2 losses being more fluke events than a normal loss, I can't pick them to lose any game. I'm not downgrading the 2 losses, I'm just saying you can't count on what happened in those 2 games happening again. That's not to say that the Mavs won't get outplayed or something else fluky might happen, but you can't predict it. It's easy to say neither team will keep winning, but it's going to be hard for any of you to justify somebody beating either team.

t-long20
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
Outside of the NBA, I just don't feel like posting much on the board. My time away from SA is weakening my interest in 5A and I haven't been too happy about the direction of the Judson program over the last few years. Neither the Rangers or Astros have me juiced about baseball. Turdco needs to step up in the playoffs to get me excited about the Stars. I'm happy the fat guy quit the Cowboys, but I'm not into their free agency like I am about the Mavs everyday. I'm ready for the NCAA Tournament, but don't spend the time on NCAA basketball like the Mavs. I'll get more excited about college football later on. Most of the off-topic threads don't interest me so I don't read them.

It will be a Mavs>Spurs year again. I'm just acknowledging that the Spurs are better than the Suns. The Suns have pulled out all the stops playing 7-8 guys hard for 48 minutes to blow people out and eke out victories. They fall flat whenever anybody gets hurt and misses a game. The Spurs have not played the top guys major minutes to win all the games and now that they're not lollygagging anymore, they're winning games and this winning streak might last a while. I really think the Spurs can get their streak up over 20 games and they might not lose before they head to Dallas on April 15th. Dallas might not lose another game this regular season and that ABC game might have a 70-9 Mavs team on a 35 game winning streak against a 61-18 Spurs team on a 28 game winning streak. I know everybody will say that there's no way either team keeps winning, but find who is going to beat them. The Spurs should win the 12 home games and the 5 road games are against teams with losing records. They might slip up at home and they could lose a back half of a back to back on the road, but I'm not picking it. After Dallas winning 37 of the last 39 games and the 2 losses being more fluke events than a normal loss, I can't pick them to lose any game. I'm not downgrading the 2 losses, I'm just saying you can't count on what happened in those 2 games happening again. That's not to say that the Mavs won't get outplayed or something else fluky might happen, but you can't predict it. It's easy to say neither team will keep winning, but it's going to be hard for any of you to justify somebody beating either team.

so im assuming your picking the mavs to win it all again

lonny23
03-10-2007, 03:47 PM
so im assuming your picking the mavs to win it all again
I see no reason for me to pick against them. The only team I would give a chance to beat them is the Spurs. No matter how well Phoenix shoots against Dallas, they're going to give Dallas plenty of chances to score. Phoenix might 3-point their way into a few wins, but not 4.

Firebird
03-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Outside of the NBA, I just don't feel like posting much on the board. My time away from SA is weakening my interest in 5A and I haven't been too happy about the direction of the Judson program over the last few years. Neither the Rangers or Astros have me juiced about baseball. Turdco needs to step up in the playoffs to get me excited about the Stars. I'm happy the fat guy quit the Cowboys, but I'm not into their free agency like I am about the Mavs everyday. I'm ready for the NCAA Tournament, but don't spend the time on NCAA basketball like the Mavs. I'll get more excited about college football later on. Most of the off-topic threads don't interest me so I don't read them. I never planned it this way, but for all intents and purposes the lonny23 that everybody has known died at post 23K on the new board. 206 posts in the last 2 months would be a lot for many people, but that's nowhere close to what I used to be.

Bud, that's too bad. I miss your posting. How long is your deployment? I hope you'll get back in one piece soon and back to posting about some HS football.

lonny23
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Bud, that's too bad. I miss your posting. How long is your deployment? I hope you'll get back in one piece soon and back to posting about some HS football.
About 6 more months, maybe a little less.

lonny23
03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
OK,

I've found out that "No Urgency" went up on February 1st. That was a true statement of the Spurs on the 1st up through the Miami game on the 11th. I was at the NJ game that started the streak on the 13th and in hindsight maybe I should've let a sleeping dog die!:p I would take it down to reverse the trend except for one problem...

The Mavs went 10-0 in February and have won 13 games in a row since I went to that avatar!:D

Mac Is Back
03-10-2007, 09:02 PM
The Spurs are well on their way to No. 12.

74-60 with 9 minutes to go in the fourth. Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank are gone (2 technicals for Kidd by Brothers, and Frank got ejected at the end of the third for mouthing off). Mikki Moore also has a T.

The West is going to be thrilling this year.

Mac Is Back
03-11-2007, 03:53 AM
12 and counting.

Spurs finish off the Nets 93-77, who were very much like the black knight from Monty Python & the Holy Grail who keeps losing limbs.

jrock210
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
12 and counting.

Spurs finish off the Nets 93-77, who were very much like the black knight from Monty Python & the Holy Grail who keeps losing limbs.

i luv ur sig...lol but the spurs r tearing up the nba with no sign of hard teams to slow them down..i think this is going to be a loooon streak

PaulinPlano
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM

As good as both teams are playing, I think there will be a bump in the road for both of them. The NBA can be a mental drain... and on a back to back, the second night can be tough (home or road) and the opponent will play inspired basketball trying to knock off the big boys. And you are thinking with your heart. I thought you were the stat man! :D The percentages should say they will lose sooner than later. But then again... you may be right.

jrock210
03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
i believe that the spurs will end the season ahead of phoenix but (for sure) behind the mavs....the last few games of the season will show how strong the sopurs are cuz thats the next time the mavs play the spurs

lonny23
03-12-2007, 08:58 PM
As good as both teams are playing, I think there will be a bump in the road for both of them. The NBA can be a mental drain... and on a back to back, the second night can be tough (home or road) and the opponent will play inspired basketball trying to knock off the big boys. And you are thinking with your heart. I thought you were the stat man! :D The percentages should say they will lose sooner than later. But then again... you may be right.
You're supposed to lose on the back half of a back to back, but when Dallas walks into SA tired and wins, that's not sacred anymore. No team has ever lost less than 2 games in a season on the back half of a back to back, but I fully expect Dallas to be 12-0 after tonight with 4 to go. They'll go 16-0.

The odds are stacked against long winning streaks:

33 Lakers in 71-72
20 Bucks in 70-71
19 Lakers in 99-00
18 from 3 teams
17 from 4 teams including Dallas and Phoenix this year

The scary thing about Dallas is they keep getting better and they're 52-5 in the last 57 games.

I'm not as confident in the Spurs since they haven't played at a high level for that long, but they are playing well and for once are doing it in back to backs.

lonny23
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Right about now, the Spurs are just playing to build some kind of consistency and they better win over Dallas because they're getting close to no-man's land as far as the division goes. I know there are 50 games left for Dallas, but I also know this:

If Dallas wins tonight and tomorrow night, they're going to be 27-7 and the Spurs will be 23-11. I know making up 5 games (Dallas would have the tiebreaker) in the last 48 games is doable, but you're also talking about a Mavs team that would be 27-3 in their last 30 games and won't have another game all year as tough as the Denver and Spurs games this week. The Mavs should've won more than 27 because they had a horrible effort in the 3 losses.

I'll make it simple. If Dallas beats the Spurs tomorrow night, I'll give them a magic number of 5. That's right. If the Spurs lose to Dallas and lose 5 more games the rest of the year, Dallas takes the division. I'm giving Dallas 66 wins minimum and they might win more.

I know Dallas can be hit with a spate of injuries, but the Spurs just might lose the division in January this year because you sure can't count on the Mavs to lose games. They've been almost unbeatable for 2 months and many of those games weren't even close.
This is my answer to Mac saying the Spurs would finish behind Dallas. I made that post on January 4th and the Spurs lost to Dallas and were 23-11 to the Mavs 27-7 at the time.

Since then, SA has gone 22-7 to reach 45-18, but Dallas has gone 25-2 to reach 52-9.

Dallas only needs to go 13-8 to win the division if the Spurs run the table.

PaulinPlano
03-13-2007, 08:04 AM

You're supposed to lose on the back half of a back to back, but when Dallas walks into SA tired and wins, that's not sacred anymore. No team has ever lost less than 2 games in a season on the back half of a back to back, but I fully expect Dallas to be 12-0 after tonight with 4 to go. They'll go 16-0.

The odds are stacked against long winning streaks:

33 Lakers in 71-72
20 Bucks in 70-71
19 Lakers in 99-00
18 from 3 teams
17 from 4 teams including Dallas and Phoenix this year

The scary thing about Dallas is they keep getting better and they're 52-5 in the last 57 games.

I'm not as confident in the Spurs since they haven't played at a high level for that long, but they are playing well and for once are doing it in back to backs.

I knew it would happen... but I thought playing Nelly would be extra incentive for the Mavs to pull out a win last night... but they had no gas in the tank for an inspired Warrior team. Another reason I thought the Mavs would win is because the Warriors were also playing a second night in a row... I am surprised that this was a blowout. The Warriors were up by over 30 at one point. Dirk was not a leader last night. Terrible shooting, technical while sitting on the bench. Cuban must be rubbing off on him.

Mac Is Back
03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Tonight we go for lucky #13.

The rest of this season is a tossup for me. The Mavs will continue to win, though I can see them losing 2 unexpected games before the playoffs roll around. That's just me.

As for the Spurs, this streak will be tested more often in the coming weeks because of another brief roadtrip, some back-to-backs, and games in SA against Utah (not even remotely worried about that one) and Phoenix (can easily be won) and then the climax - the 4th regular season game in Big D. Other than that, if the Spurs can continue to play this well (which they may not at some points) the Spurs should keep this streak going for a while...knock on wood. I'll pull a Lonny here and say that if the Spurs can play the Spurs-style they seem to have found again, then they could and should finish the season with one potential loss - Dallas.

But we all know they will lose maybe one or two more or so. But for now, let's all rejoice in the winning streak.

P.S. Those two unexpected losses I mentioned? Scratch one off.

Golden State 117
Mavericks 100

PaulinPlano
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM

The rest of this season is a tossup for me. The Mavs will continue to win, though I can see them losing 2 unexpected games before the playoffs roll around. That's just me.

As for the Spurs, this streak will be tested more often in the coming weeks because of another brief roadtrip, some back-to-backs, and games in SA against Utah (not even remotely worried about that one) and Phoenix (can easily be won) and then the climax - the 4th regular season game in Big D. Other than that, if the Spurs can continue to play this well (which they may not at some points) the Spurs should keep this streak going for a while...knock on wood. I'll pull a Lonny here and say that if the Spurs can play the Spurs-style they seem to have found again, then they could and should finish the season with one potential loss - Dallas.

But we all know they will lose maybe one or two more or so. But for now, let's all rejoice in the winning streak.

Golden State 117
Mavericks 100

You are pulling a Lonny... Spurs will drop on before the end of the season... but it won't be to Dallas!

Mac Is Back
03-13-2007, 10:39 PM
^ Let's hope so!

The Spurs ground out Lucky 13 tonight. Going for 14 Thursday in Milwaukee.

PaulinPlano
03-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Not a great win for the Spurs last night. But a win.

Pop said his team made little progress in their game against the Clippers and wasted a chance to improve. "It wasn't the greatest game but we came out with the win," he said. "Winning is always more fun than losing."

Glad to see Parker score but I would like to see his assists number higher. Elson did not shoot well and his rebounds were ok for 20 minutes I suppose. No blocks for the Spurs big men last night. That may indicate a lack of hustle.

SV61
03-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Not a great win for the Spurs last night. But a win.

Pop said his team made little progress in their game against the Clippers and wasted a chance to improve. "It wasn't the greatest game but we came out with the win," he said. "Winning is always more fun than losing."

Glad to see Parker score but I would like to see his assists number higher. Elson did not shoot well and his rebounds were ok for 20 minutes I suppose. No blocks for the Spurs big men last night. That may indicate a lack of hustle.

Was at the game last night, and to me anyway, Finley's defense worse as bad as I have ever seen. No, he isn't known for his defense, but it was none existent. As a team, the Spurs let the Clippers score over 50% for the game!!! I thought Elton Brand had about 400 points, and was shocked to see that he only had like 18 or so.

Then the refs took over in the fourth, whistling everything. Tim entered the fourth, with one or maybe two fouls, and had then had to sit down for a few minutes!

A weird game to me, and the crowd was a little restless. There was never really a defining moment to get the crowd going.

lonny23
03-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I knew it would happen... but I thought playing Nelly would be extra incentive for the Mavs to pull out a win last night... but they had no gas in the tank for an inspired Warrior team. Another reason I thought the Mavs would win is because the Warriors were also playing a second night in a row... I am surprised that this was a blowout. The Warriors were up by over 30 at one point. Dirk was not a leader last night. Terrible shooting, technical while sitting on the bench. Cuban must be rubbing off on him.
I don't know what went wrong. Dirk is in the Top 10 for T's this year. I thought they'd be ready, too. I just read where Nellie sat Baron Davis the night before playing Dallas.

lonny23
03-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Golden State 117
Mavericks 100

:DOne thing about long streaks is the media keeps hounding you about winning and it takes a toll. The opponents gear everything they have to beat you and that eventually takes a toll, too.

lonny23
03-14-2007, 09:50 PM
You are pulling a Lonny... Spurs will drop on before the end of the season... but it won't be to Dallas!I don't know. Nobody has beaten Dallas at home since December.

Mac Is Back
03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Well I think that's changed now. :D

Phoenix scratches the other loss I called for off the list. Wow. That was fast.

The Suns played an inspired game tonight. Dallas definitely wasn't really in it until that third quarter, but kudos to Phoenix (and Steve Nash) for grinding out a double-OT win.

I will be honest and say that I wanted Dallas to win tonight. Phoenix needs to lose more games if San Antonio is to have even the slightest of chances of catching them. But, oh well.

LONG LIVE THE WIN STREAK!

Go Spurs Go.

Reaganrattler07
03-15-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't know. Nobody has beaten Dallas at home since December.

And Dallas hasn't won a championship. Course you're gonna tell me that's possible, but what was said in bold can't be possible?

PaulinPlano
03-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know. Nobody has beaten Dallas at home since December.

Great game. I bumped the other thread to talk about it.

lonny23
03-16-2007, 03:14 PM
One thing about long streaks is the media keeps hounding you about winning and it takes a toll. The opponents gear everything they have to beat you and that eventually takes a toll, too.
I think this is what hit the Spurs in Milwaukee.

PaulinPlano
03-16-2007, 03:29 PM

The Spurs have always had trouble with the Bucks.:mad:

DragonBand06
03-16-2007, 09:10 PM

a brick wall? :p

mad_fan
03-16-2007, 09:21 PM

You really should quote yourself more often...:p

jrock210
03-16-2007, 11:41 PM

only lonny

lonny23
03-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I agree!:D

jrock210
03-17-2007, 09:52 PM
aaa the spurs lost a heart breaker but hey it was the celtics day...no joke its st pats day but ya i thought the spurs had them when they took the lead for the 1st time

TexasRed6x
03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
aaa the spurs lost a heart breaker but hey it was the celtics day...no joke its st pats day but ya i thought the spurs had them when they took the lead for the 1st time

Man I was laughing at the Celtics for beating the Spurs because they are the second worst team in the league besides the Grizzlies. They have been able to find a way to win recently and they are starting to play better but they started way to late. If they played like that earlier this season, they would have had a better record than they do now.

TexasRed6x
03-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Are you crazy? Then he will never quit posting. :D

jrock210
03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Are you crazy? Then he will never quit posting. :D

lonny...quit posting....what a day that would be ;) jk lonny havin a judson fans that can back what they say up is always good no how much of a homer they r

MaverickFan2009
03-17-2007, 10:29 PM
i am very sad to say that i was at the game tonight.

and i had to witness that horrible game. :(

however, i did learn two things.
1. calling paul pierce an ugly, fat, homosexual will not make him miss his free throws. (who knew?)
2. michael finley will never prove himself worthy of my love

TexasRed6x
03-17-2007, 11:19 PM

1. calling paul pierce an ugly, fat, homosexual will not make him miss his free throws. (who knew?)

That is embarrasing for the Spurs to lose to the Celtics on their home floor.

jrock210
03-17-2007, 11:27 PM

like i said its st patties day and the spurs didnt wear green...plsu the celtics r doin good since the break

MaverickFan2009
03-18-2007, 12:01 AM

its embarrasing for the Spurs to lose to the Celtics anytime.

The Celtics haven't won in San Antonio since 1990. that was before i was born. how do you go that long without losing and then just play stupid?

im very disappointed.

jrock210
03-18-2007, 09:31 AM

The Celtics haven't won in San Antonio since 1990. that was before i was born. how do you go that long without losing and then just play stupid?

im very disappointed.

ya i was like wow and the spurs havent lossed to the celtics during the tim duncan era which is even worse

TexasRed6x
03-18-2007, 11:15 AM

im very disappointed.

Yeah the last time the Celtics beat the Spurs in SA was when Larry Bird was still playing.

lonny23
03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Man I was laughing at the Celtics for beating the Spurs because they are the second worst team in the league besides the Grizzlies. They have been able to find a way to win recently and they are starting to play better but they started way to late. If they played like that earlier this season, they would have had a better record than they do now.
That's nothing for a Spurs fan to laugh about. It's the worst possible loss SA could have:

1. It was coming off of a loss.
2. It was at home.
3. It was against the East.
4. It was against the worst team in the East.
5. Boston was tired and the Spurs were rested.
6. Boston had played in Dallas the night before.

In other words, there was no possible good reason for SA to lose that game besides the old agage of "you have to play the game". If I was a gambling man, I would've bet the house on the Spurs.

lonny23
03-18-2007, 02:14 PM

You wouldn't believe how happy I was when I heard Fin was going to the Spurs!:D I loved the Mavs giving their biggest problem to the enemy.

MaverickFan2009
03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
You wouldn't believe how happy I was when I heard Fin was going to the Spurs!:D I loved the Mavs giving their biggest problem to the enemy.

oh yeah i believe it. i am the worst at holding grudges, so it takes a lot for me to like someone who once played for the lakers, mavs, etc. I didn't like Robert Horry until the 2005 playoffs when he finally came through for us. I never liked Van Exel last year. I will never like Michael Finley. I don't think he is as great as everyone makes him out to be. I guess he was good once upon a time, but he just needs to get out.

jrock210
03-18-2007, 06:54 PM
oh yeah i believe it. i am the worst at holding grudges, so it takes a lot for me to like someone who once played for the lakers, mavs, etc. I didn't like Robert Horry until the 2005 playoffs when he finally came through for us. I never liked Van Exel last year. I will never like Michael Finley. I don't think he is as great as everyone makes him out to be. I guess he was good once upon a time, but he just needs to get out.

finley is good and he proved it a lil last yr but over the summer he constantly worked w/ the new ball and he is still not used to it...van exel is crap i never luiked him but horry has always been on my list of ppl contributing to the spurs...when he was w/ the lakers i couldnt stand him but now hes good

lonny23
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
finley is good and he proved it a lil last yr but over the summer he constantly worked w/ the new ball and he is still not used to it...van exel is crap i never luiked him but horry has always been on my list of ppl contributing to the spurs...when he was w/ the lakers i couldnt stand him but now hes good
Fin has a few good games here and there, but he's worse this year than last year.

jrock210
03-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Fin has a few good games here and there, but he's worse this year than last year.

its becaus ehe practiced so much w/ the new ball...he got used to it around the end of the year and he had his highest numbers in december but then they switched back...anyone else agree the new balls r the worst decision made by the NBA ewer?

dada
03-19-2007, 08:31 AM
well.....my rockets beat the 76'ers by 50 yesterday

PaulinPlano
03-19-2007, 09:47 AM

like i said its st patties day and the spurs didnt wear green...plsu the celtics r doin good since the break

im very disappointed.

ya i was like wow and the spurs havent lossed to the celtics during the tim duncan era which is even worse

Yeah the last time the Celtics beat the Spurs in SA was when Larry Bird was still playing.

That's nothing for a Spurs fan to laugh about. It's the worst possible loss SA could have:

1. It was coming off of a loss.
2. It was at home.
3. It was against the East.
4. It was against the worst team in the East.
5. Boston was tired and the Spurs were rested.
6. Boston had played in Dallas the night before.

In other words, there was no possible good reason for SA to lose that game besides the old agage of "you have to play the game". If I was a gambling man, I would've bet the house on the Spurs.

The luck of the Irish!
http://hilary.ca/blog/images/4leaf_clover.jpg

jrock210
03-20-2007, 07:40 AM
The luck of the Irish!

exactly what i said

lonny23
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
its becaus ehe practiced so much w/ the new ball...he got used to it around the end of the year and he had his highest numbers in december but then they switched back...anyone else agree the new balls r the worst decision made by the NBA ewer?
No, the NBA has done worse, but the ball decision was bad.

It's about time Fin practiced something because I never thought he practiced enough in Dallas.

lonny23
03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
The luck of the Irish!
What's your excuse for Valentine's Day, 1990 when Boston last won in the Alamo City?:D

jrock210
03-21-2007, 07:34 AM
No, the NBA has done worse, but the ball decision was bad.

It's about time Fin practiced something because I never thought he practiced enough in Dallas.

ya he practices but hes not like AI who doesnt want to practice w/ his teammates

TexasRed6x
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Dude this thread is not deleted.

jrock210
03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Dude this thread is not deleted.

o ok i looked for it for awhile but gave up...its cuz im a blonde...well anyways spurs can move up on the suns and draw within three games i think and this may give the spurs confidance yto get the 2 seed

lonny23
03-25-2007, 11:28 PM
o ok i looked for it for awhile but gave up...its cuz im a blonde...well anyways spurs can move up on the suns and draw within three games i think and this may give the spurs confidance yto get the 2 seed
It's going to be hard to catch Phoenix. You might make up a game on April 1st, but you'll lose it on April 15th!:p

PaulinPlano
03-26-2007, 10:17 AM
41 points... WOW. But no Ray Allen. Talk about giving up!

jrock210
03-26-2007, 06:21 PM
It's going to be hard to catch Phoenix. You might make up a game on April 1st, but you'll lose it on April 15th!:p

we r within 3 now plus if phoneix loses again it will be 2 plus our win may be 1 nd who knos they could lose...its a long shot but weve seen things nearly happen like last yr in baseball the stros nearly caught the cards to take there place in the playoffs

jrock210
03-27-2007, 07:51 AM
GS want even trying last night

shs13
03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
i want james white to get more playing time lol looks really athletic

PaulinPlano
03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Hmmm.... Dallas losses to Golden State 100-117. The Spurs Blow them out by 37 after blowing out Seattle by 41! Spurs are finding their stroke!

I am looking forward to the Spurs - Dallas game!

DragonBand06
03-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Hmmm.... Dallas losses to Golden State 100-117. The Spurs Blow them out by 37 after blowing out Seattle by 41! Spurs are finding their stroke!

Just like the spurs lost to BOSTON who Dallas has beaten twice in the last 2 weeks and also lost to Milwaukee who Dallas will be playing tomorrow?

PaulinPlano
03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Just like the spurs lost to BOSTON who Dallas has beaten twice in the last 2 weeks and also lost to Milwaukee who Dallas will be playing tomorrow?

Dallas has been fortunate to win a few games against marginal teams in the past couple of weeks... including Boston.

shs13
03-27-2007, 11:21 AM
i wanna see james white in a fast break situation :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w

lonny23
03-27-2007, 08:16 PM

You can't compare the two. I really don't know if Dallas will try that hard in the Spurs game because home court will already be wrapped up. I can't predict what will happen in that game.

lonny23
03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Dallas has been fortunate to win a few games against marginal teams in the past couple of weeks... including Boston.
Dallas is fighting the free throw monsters right now. Paul Pierce shot more free throws than Dallas. Atlanta shot 49 on Sunday.

I'm also quite sure Dallas has been bored the last few weeks. They sure haven't played their hardest at all times.

jrock210
03-27-2007, 08:18 PM
i want james white to get more playing time lol looks really athletic

he was playing pretty good sprinting up and down the court...he was in a fast break but thats when parker took it down right before he was being taken out

TexasRed6x
03-27-2007, 10:05 PM

I heard James White did well. He had 9 points and 3 rebounds in 15 minutes. Its about time that this guy gets some playing time in these last few games.

TexasRed6x
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
GS want even trying last night

Dude the Warriors suck. End of story.

lonny23
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Dude the Warriors suck. End of story.
A few weeks ago it looked like they were tanking games and then they started playing better. Right before they played Dallas they went back to stinking. Somebody close to Nellie told dallasbasketball.com that Nellie didn't care how many games he lost that week as long as he beat Dallas and he even sat Baron Davis for a whole game to have a better chance to beat the Mavs. Nellie all but lost the Portland game on purpose to try to beat Dallas. Since then, GS has been horrible. It really looks like they'd rather miss the playoffs than play Dallas in Round 1.

jrock210
03-28-2007, 05:02 PM
They had an article about white in the papre today. It said that a few players watched the NBA Dunk competiton and thought White could beat them. He is nventing dunks while others reuse old ones. I'm going to look for the article about it.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA032807.01C.BKNspurs.white.3ae3606.html
heres the link

TexasRed6x
03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
A few weeks ago it looked like they were tanking games and then they started playing better. Right before they played Dallas they went back to stinking. Somebody close to Nellie told dallasbasketball.com that Nellie didn't care how many games he lost that week as long as he beat Dallas and he even sat Baron Davis for a whole game to have a better chance to beat the Mavs. Nellie all but lost the Portland game on purpose to try to beat Dallas. Since then, GS has been horrible. It really looks like they'd rather miss the playoffs than play Dallas in Round 1.

Kinda like the Celtics have been doing as of late?

lonny23
03-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Kinda like the Celtics have been doing as of late?
The Celtics pick and choose. They sure tanked one last week, but have been playing pretty well.

TexasRed6x
03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
The Celtics pick and choose. They sure tanked one last week, but have been playing pretty well.

Well they more than likely took themselves out of the bidding for Durant if he goes out.

Mac Is Back
03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
I was at the Hornets game last night...I wish it had been against a more formidable opponent, but that game was thrilling. The Barry-Finley 3-point bonanza in the fourth had the crowd going crazy. Good teams find a way to win when they play poorly. :D

lonny23
03-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I was at the Hornets game last night...I wish it had been against a more formidable opponent, but that game was thrilling. The Barry-Finley 3-point bonanza in the fourth had the crowd going crazy. Good teams find a way to win when they play poorly. :D
They can also win when their stars get injured!:p

Mac Is Back
03-29-2007, 07:55 PM
They can also win when their stars get injured!:p

Yes. Spurs fans know ALL about that. :D

And not just by two points, either. Mavs better hope they get Devean George back real soon. Their defense has been shoddy lately.

PaulinPlano
04-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Spurs hold Suns to 39% FG and 18% beyond the arc. Sweetness.:D

Mac Is Back
04-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Spurs hold Suns to 39% FG and 18% beyond the arc. Sweetness.:D

En route to holding Phoenix to their second lowest point total of the year. Which, coincidentally, is far fewer than 126 points.

jrock210
04-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Great game last night. I was about to turn it off with 4 minutes to go but the suns started coming back. they came close but no cigar

TexasRed6x
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Great game last night. I was about to turn it off with 4 minutes to go but the suns started coming back. they came close but no cigar

Yeah we did very well controlling their fastbreak game. Hell we limited them to less assists than what they are used to having in a game.

lonny23
04-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Congrats on the win over the Suns. I've been saying you'd take that game for two weeks.

jrock210
04-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Congrats on the win over the Suns. I've been saying you'd take that game for two weeks.

Yes lonny and you also said by the end of the week the Spurs would have the 2 seed clnched...lol oh well there's still time.

lonny23
04-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Yes lonny and you also said by the end of the week the Spurs would have the 2 seed clnched...lol oh well there's still time.
1. That was before I saw Dallas tank a game in Phoenix that I thought they'd want to win just to get rest for their players sooner.

2. It was also before the Spurs lost to the Pacers!:D

3. Yes, Phoenix still has tough games.

jrock210
04-07-2007, 08:41 AM
1. That was before I saw Dallas tank a game in Phoenix that I thought they'd want to win just to get rest for their players sooner.

2. It was also before the Spurs lost to the Pacers!:D

3. Yes, Phoenix still has tough games.

We wouldn't have lost if your team didn't lose..lol and the Spurs has the Mavs and that's it.

jrock210
04-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Spurs play at 7. lonny watch this because this will be your team in the WCF

jrock210
04-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Another win tonite....It seems I will be doing something I thought I would never do..GO FOR THE LAKERS:eek: LA is playing the suns so I'm going for them and then if the Fakers win I will boo like crazy and then celeberate one step closer to the 2 seed for the Spurs.

lonny23
04-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Spurs play at 7. lonny watch this because this will be your team in the WCF
Nah, because the Mavs know how to play defense.

The fewest points the Warriors have scored in a game and won this year is 91. They're 4-21 when they score less than 100 points in a game. They've held 5 teams to 80-89 points and 2 teams under 80.

The Mavs won a game scoring 80 points and are 27-9 on the year when scoring under 100 points. The Mavs have held 15 teams to 80-89 points and 12 under 80.

jrock210
04-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Nah, because the Mavs know how to play defense.

The fewest points the Warriors have scored in a game and won this year is 91. They're 4-21 when they score less than 100 points in a game. They've held 5 teams to 80-89 points and 2 teams under 80.

The Mavs won a game scoring 80 points and are 27-9 on the year when scoring under 100 points. The Mavs have held 15 teams to 80-89 points and 12 under 80.

The spurs can take them :D lol Anyone got word on the score for the Lakers vs suns game. I'm curious

Mac Is Back
04-08-2007, 07:47 PM
The spurs can take them :D lol Anyone got word on the score for the Lakers vs suns game. I'm curious

And they will. :D

Spurs are 29-4 when scoring 100+,
36-5 when holding their opponents to 90 or less,
and 25-17 when scoring under 100.
The Spurs have held 36 opponents this year to 89 points or less. 11 of those opponents scored 80 or less. Out of 76 games, only 11 teams have put up 100+ on SA. Only 2 have put up 110 or more.

Also, in case you didn't already know, the Suns beat LA.

lonny23
04-09-2007, 07:44 AM
And they will. :D

Spurs are 29-4 when scoring 100+,
36-5 when holding their opponents to 90 or less,
and 25-17 when scoring under 100.
The Spurs have held 36 opponents this year to 89 points or less. 11 of those opponents scored 80 or less. Out of 76 games, only 11 teams have put up 100+ on SA. Only 2 have put up 110 or more.

Also, in case you didn't already know, the Suns beat LA.
...and the Spurs are 1-10 when they give up 100 points. You'd at least hope to be around the 11-9 record Dallas has when giving up 100 or more points.

I'm firmly on the side of the need to play good defense to win titles and the 11 and 12 times that the Spurs and Mavs have held teams under 80 is proof of good defense. I also counter that you need an offense to bail you out when the other team shoots well or you're defense is lacking.

The Mavs are also 36-4 when scoring 100 or more points.

jrock210
04-09-2007, 05:14 PM
...and the Spurs are 1-10 when they give up 100 points. You'd at least hope to be around the 11-9 record Dallas has when giving up 100 or more points.

I'm firmly on the side of the need to play good defense to win titles and the 11 and 12 times that the Spurs and Mavs have held teams under 80 is proof of good defense. I also counter that you need an offense to bail you out when the other team shoots well or you're defense is lacking.

I was actually about to say that myself. Oh and thanks for the stats. I remember me and lonny still have the bet but hey it's possible.

Mac Is Back
04-09-2007, 07:49 PM
]...and the Spurs are 1-10 when they give up 100 points.[/B] You'd at least hope to be around the 11-9 record Dallas has when giving up 100 or more points.

Lucky for the Spurs they don't give up 100 that often. 11 times against 20 for Dallas. Granted, Dallas has the better record in such games, but those losses for the Spurs are usually the games they don't play well. Those losses are almost expected.

I am confident that San Antonio has quite a surprise for Dallas should they clash again in the playoffs. I can't wait. :D

Mac Is Back
04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Also--

Spurs are starting to pour it on Portland in the second quarter. Magloire had a wide open dunk just a minute ago until it was blocked at the rim...by TONY PARKER.

PaulinPlano
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, the Sunday game (SA vs. Dallas) will have little meaning. The coaches may not play the big boys more than 20 minutes or so...

c-lisle
04-10-2007, 01:34 PM
The spurs are the best defensive team without question in the NBA but I am sick of hearing how great they are when this season Dallas is on top.

lonny23
04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Lucky for the Spurs they don't give up 100 that often. 11 times against 20 for Dallas. Granted, Dallas has the better record in such games, but those losses for the Spurs are usually the games they don't play well. Those losses are almost expected.

I am confident that San Antonio has quite a surprise for Dallas should they clash again in the playoffs. I can't wait. :D
I readily acknowledge that the Spurs are playing well, but the Mavs have a playoff surprise. They really haven't played their best ball all year because it hasn't been needed. Dallas has a lot left in the tank. You'll see better play in the playoffs from Dallas.

lonny23
04-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately, the Sunday game (SA vs. Dallas) will have little meaning. The coaches may not play the big boys more than 20 minutes or so...
The Mavs are planning on resting starters and key backups in games, but I haven't heard about the Spurs game. SA might not play hard if they doubt they can catch the Suns.

lonny23
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
The spurs are the best defensive team without question in the NBA but I am sick of hearing how great they are when this season Dallas is on top.
It's obvious there is a huge media bias against the Mavs. There used to be one against the Spurs.

PaulinPlano
04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
It's obvious there is a huge media bias against the Mavs. There used to be one against the Spurs.

You gotta have some hardware.:D

PaulinPlano
04-10-2007, 05:34 PM
The Mavs are planning on resting starters and key backups in games, but I haven't heard about the Spurs game. SA might not play hard if they doubt they can catch the Suns.

Dampier, Nowitzki, and one other are not even making the trip to Minnesota.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
You gotta have some hardware.:D

But, even though the Spurs have some hardware, they aren't getting respect either. Everyone outside of Texas, and some in Texas, are so busy j----- --- the Suns. Neither the Spurs, or the Mavs, are really getting any respect. All you hear is this;

"Phoenix this!" "Phoenix that!"

I'm a die-hard Mavs fan, and I've been one since they were the laughing-stock of all sports franchises, but, I can't wait until the Spurs beat the living dog ---- out of the Suns. Y'all may get sick of me saying this, but I'll say it again; SPURS OVER THE SUNS IN 5!

jrock210
04-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Phoenix is a good team yes but if Nash gets hurt they won't get passed the first round (whether they pluy Denver or LA)

anyone else think tis thread should be a classic? lol

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Phoenix is a good team yes but if Nash gets hurt they won't get passed the first round (whether they pluy Denver or LA)

anyone else think tis thread should be a classic? lol

Without question! This should be a classic. Back to what you said previously, if Phoenix plays Denver, then you're looking at Nash defending Iverson, and if I'm the Suns, I really don't want that matchup. Now, the Suns would beat them, but it'll take them 7 games. Going 7 with the Nuggets isn't good for the Suns, because they'll be playing San Antonio right after that. In the words of Dollar Bill from the movie The Players Club;

"IT'S GONE BE TROUBLE, TROUBLE!"

lonny23
04-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Dampier, Nowitzki, and one other are not even making the trip to Minnesota.
That would be Stackhouse. They'll also rest some guys vs. Utah and I don't know what the Spurs gameplan is.

lonny23
04-11-2007, 07:03 AM
But, even though the Spurs have some hardware, they aren't getting respect either. Everyone outside of Texas, and some in Texas, are so busy j----- --- the Suns. Neither the Spurs, or the Mavs, are really getting any respect. All you hear is this;

I'm a die-hard Mavs fan, and I've been one since they were the laughing-stock of all sports franchises, but, I can't wait until the Spurs beat the living dog ---- out of the Suns. Y'all may get sick of me saying this, but I'll say it again; SPURS OVER THE SUNS IN 5!
I'm not tired of it and I'll be a Spurs fan for that series, too. I'll root against the Spurs in Round 1 and 3.

lonny23
04-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Without question! This should be a classic. Back to what you said previously, if Phoenix plays Denver, then you're looking at Nash defending Iverson, and if I'm the Suns, I really don't want that matchup. Now, the Suns would beat them, but it'll take them 7 games. Going 7 with the Nuggets isn't good for the Suns, because they'll be playing San Antonio right after that. In the words of Dollar Bill from the movie The Players Club;

"IT'S GONE BE TROUBLE, TROUBLE!"
Phoenix is done if they don't get the 2 seed. They've gone full blast all year and might not even have home court in Round 2. Dallas and the Spurs have coasted a lot more.

PaulinPlano
04-11-2007, 04:43 PM

I think Dallas could take the Suns in the playoffs. If you cut off the head, it will die. If Dallas will just D up Nash and not let him handle the ball like SA does, they can take them.

PaulinPlano
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Phoenix is done if they don't get the 2 seed. They've gone full blast all year and might not even have home court in Round 2. Dallas and the Spurs have coasted a lot more.

Dallas can beat Golden State. But why haven't they. Nelly will not let Nowitzki beat him. Dallas may have some trouble with Golden State. But they are too much in a series and will take them down. And what I mean by trouble is... a 6 game series which would drain Dallas mentally and physically. If Dallas goes more than 4 games in round one, they are disadvantaged somewhat.

Mac Is Back
04-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Oh man. Big time. It was all Lakers, Lakers, Lakers.

Which isn't to say they hadn't earned it at the time, but even when we beat them and in the season following we still got the cold shoulder from ESPN and the like.

jrock210
04-12-2007, 07:50 AM
The fact is the Spurs have struggled against the Lakers this season. I hope SA can move into that 2 seed but I would be a little bit worried about LA. Quick question when was the last time the Spurs were out in the first round of the playoffs?

lonny23
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Dallas can beat Golden State. But why haven't they. Nelly will not let Nowitzki beat him. Dallas may have some trouble with Golden State. But they are too much in a series and will take them down. And what I mean by trouble is... a 6 game series which would drain Dallas mentally and physically. If Dallas goes more than 4 games in round one, they are disadvantaged somewhat.
First of all, the Warriors have had players in the past that cause a hard time for the Mavs to D up. In the greater picture, the Mavs used to always beat GS and had more than a 20 game winning streak, but towards the end of the streak when Nellie was still here, the Warriors were keeping it close.

Last year the Warriors have beat the Mavs twice on fluke buzzer beaters in Dallas. They beat the Mavs to snap the 17 win streak and I'll just call it Mavs laziness as the wins piled up. The first game this year was just NBA robbery. I was at the game when the Mavs raised the Western Conference banner and Dan Crawford helped push the Warriors over the top and we all know the Mavs didn't start the season playing their best. The last game between the two in 05-06 was a case of the Mavs just trying to get through a mid-April game getting ready for the playoffs. The Mavs were pretty much going through the motions in that game and GS played well. The Mavs have 139 (including the playoffs) wins the last 2 years so any win over Dallas is notable, but I must also say that the Warriors 5-1 against Dallas is the least dominant 5-1 you'll see. Over the last 2 years (including the playoffs), GS is the only team to have a winning record against Dallas.

lonny23
04-12-2007, 08:59 AM
The fact is the Spurs have struggled against the Lakers this season. I hope SA can move into that 2 seed but I would be a little bit worried about LA. Quick question when was the last time the Spurs were out in the first round of the playoffs?
2000 vs. Phoenix when Duncan got hurt. That's his only 1st Round departure.

You might be playing Denver.

lonny23
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM

Which isn't to say they hadn't earned it at the time, but even when we beat them and in the season following we still got the cold shoulder from ESPN and the like.
1995 hurt the Spurs and Robinson. 1999 earned you no respect. The media loved Phil, Kobe, and Shaq from Day 1. They finally gave you some due in 2003, but they still hyped the Laker circus in 2003-2004.

TexasRed6x
04-12-2007, 09:43 AM
2000 vs. Phoenix when Duncan got hurt. That's his only 1st Round departure.

You might be playing Denver.

They might be a tough team with Anthony and Iverson playing the way they are. Hell they beat Dallas not to long ago so it could be a tough matchup.

jrock210
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
They might be a tough team with Anthony and Iverson playing the way they are. Hell they beat Dallas not to long ago so it could be a tough matchup.

I think the Spurs can easil handle the nuggets because Finley is hot right now, Barry is back, the trio is pounding and pounding and pounding some more against these treams, and the Nuggets have tpo key weapons that can work together against an easy defense. And the spurs are a tough team

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM

But there is something that you're forgetting. When the Spurs won the title against the Nets and the Pistons, the Spurs really didn't get any respect going into those series' either. People talked about how New Jersey was going to run San Antone off the court because of their uptempo game, and they talked about how the Pistons would just bully the Spurs around. They were wrong both times.

One more thing, I remember Damon Stoudemire saying that the Spurs didn't have a chance winning the title with Avery Johnson starting at point guard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Little General hit the winning shot in the 1999 Finals.

Anything associated or connected to Texas isn't respected like it should be.

Mac Is Back
04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
1995 hurt the Spurs and Robinson. 1999 earned you no respect. The media loved Phil, Kobe, and Shaq from Day 1. They finally gave you some due in 2003, but they still hyped the Laker circus in 2003-2004.

Understandably so, because the Shaq-Kobe feud was like the Jennifer Aniston-Brad Pitt breakup. Most analysts will now admit that Dallas and San Antonio essentially represent the pinnacle of the NBA, with respect to Miami and Detroit as well. Dallas is earning their fame, SA is still riding theirs, and Miami's is up and coming. I think regardless of Dallas' performance in the POs this year, they will emerge as possibly the most talked about program at the start of next season - second only, perhaps, to the 2007 champion.

Mac Is Back
04-12-2007, 08:13 PM
But there is something that you're forgetting. When the Spurs won the title against the Nets and the Pistons, the Spurs really didn't get any respect going into those series' either. People talked about how New Jersey was going to run San Antone off the court because of their uptempo game, and they talked about how the Pistons would just bully the Spurs around. They were wrong both times.

One more thing, I remember Damon Stoudemire saying that the Spurs didn't have a chance winning the title with Avery Johnson starting at point guard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Little General hit the winning shot in the 1999 Finals.

Anything associated or connected to Texas isn't respected like it should be.

I agree. Except of course, for high school football. Although somehow people get off to California teams. I really wanted that SLC-De La Salle matchup to happen.

Mac Is Back
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I think the Spurs can easil handle the nuggets because Finley is hot right now, Barry is back, the trio is pounding and pounding and pounding some more against these treams, and the Nuggets have tpo key weapons that can work together against an easy defense. And the spurs are a tough team

Spurs and Nuggets could easily be a SA sweep. Spurs-Lakers would go a minimum of six games.

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Spurs and Nuggets could easily be a SA sweep. Spurs-Lakers would go a minimum of six games.

I am thinking 5.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I agree. Except of course, for high school football. Although somehow people get off to California teams.

Florida too!

lonny23
04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Ask yourself this question.

Which is more likely to be repeated?

Denver scores 75 against Dallas?

Dallas scores 71 against Denver?

The Mavs went 3-1 vs. Denver this year and that last game is not a true indication of anything. There's a big difference between a home team playing for their playoff life and a road team playing for nothing.

For the record, I think the Spurs are going to spank the Nuggets. The Jazz-Rockets matchup is the only good one in the West 1st Round.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 03:33 PM
1. Fin won't stay hot.
2. As long as the Spurs can damper Crymelo, AI will shoot bad enough for the Spurs to handle Denver.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 03:35 PM

Anything associated or connected to Texas isn't respected like it should be.Very true.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Understandably so, because the Shaq-Kobe feud was like the Jennifer Aniston-Brad Pitt breakup. Most analysts will now admit that Dallas and San Antonio essentially represent the pinnacle of the NBA, with respect to Miami and Detroit as well. Dallas is earning their fame, SA is still riding theirs, and Miami's is up and coming. I think regardless of Dallas' performance in the POs this year, they will emerge as possibly the most talked about program at the start of next season - second only, perhaps, to the 2007 champion.
1. Miami is closing in on the end of their fame.

2. The Spurs have a shot to beat Dallas. They're not favored to do so and I don't think it will happen, but they have a shot. Dallas is quite a bit younger than the Spurs and I still don't think you've come close to grasping just how good this Dallas team is. Unless you remember watching basketball from ages 2-5 or something along those lines, this Dallas team is the best NBA team in your viewing lifetime and you flippantly think the Spurs are going to beat them. Dallas beat the Spurs last year when the Spurs set their franchise record for wins and you can't say SA was garbage then. Dallas is even better now. What I just said has nothing to do with Sunday's game either. I have no idea how either team will approach it. The NBA has been around for 60 years and has expanded to 30 teams. With Dallas firmly in the Top 10 of most wins in a season, you know they're a hard team to beat. They might have the 2nd best record ever. Hey, the Spurs have titles and you know I respect them, but I'd be lying to you if I told you there's a real good reason to pick the Spurs to beat Dallas. There's nothing from this year to indicate that you're going to beat Dallas in the WCF. I'll say it now so nobody can come back and roast me for griping. I fully expect the refs to ruin the Mavs-Spurs series for both teams just like last year. They'll alternate helping each team (If Necessary) and try to extend the series.

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
1. Fin won't stay hot.
2. As long as the Spurs can damper Crymelo, AI will shoot bad enough for the Spurs to handle Denver.

Fin has really built his confidence up... Pop has told him to keep firing away, even when he was shooting terribly a couple of months ago. I don't think he will cool off. Of course I say this a Spurs fan.

AI will shoot poorly because he will actually be defended. What irks me is that every time a shooter does poorly against SA, some analyst will say he had a bad night shooting instead of recognizing he was well defended and did not get 20 open shots like he does against other teams. This also happens to Dallas to a lesser degree. I think Carmelo will be a bigger factor than AI.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Fin has really built his confidence up... Pop has told him to keep firing away, even when he was shooting terribly a couple of months ago. I don't think he will cool off. Of course I say this a Spurs fan.

AI will shoot poorly because he will actually be defended. What irks me is that every time a shooter does poorly against SA, some analyst will say he had a bad night shooting instead of recognizing he was well defended and did not get 20 open shots like he does against other teams. This also happens to Dallas to a lesser degree. I think Carmelo will be a bigger factor than AI.
I said Fin will cool off because he almost always fades in April, but he might not this year with fewer minutes. Fin usually regresses in the playoffs.

I'm with you on poor shooting. Defense has a lot to do with it most of the time. Contested shots are a lot lower precentage than uncontested shots. Avery always preaches about uncontested shots.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-13-2007, 04:01 PM
What irks me is that every time a shooter does poorly against SA, some analyst will say he had a bad night shooting instead of recognizing he was well defended and did not get 20 open shots like he does against other teams. This also happens to Dallas to a lesser degree.

That's what happens when they don't want to give a team their props. See my post above about Texas teams.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
That's what happens when they don't want to give a team their props. See my post above about Texas teams.
One of the big problems is we now have media who feel like they need to be controversial to succeed. They have to pick the upsets to legitimize who they are. They only end up looking stupid. We'd get fired if we were wrong that much, but they get a free pass.

In an NBA sense, it's why we have people talking about Dirk not deserving the MVP, saying the Warriors would take Dallas to 7 games, and why people are saying the Spurs will win the title. They don't want to pick the status quo in fear of people saying they didn't go out on a limb or took the easy way out.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-13-2007, 04:09 PM
One of the big problems is we now have media who feel like they need to be controversial to succeed. They have to pick the upsets to legitimize who they are. They only end up looking stupid. We'd get fired if we were wrong that much, but they get a free pass.

In an NBA sense, it's why we have people talking about Dirk not deserving the MVP, saying the Warriors would take Dallas to 7 games, and why people are saying the Spurs will win the title. They don't want to pick the status quo in fear of people saying they didn't go out on a limb or took the easy way out.

While Dirk deserves the MVP, IMO, I say go ahead and give it to Nash. Let Nash have it for a 3rd year in a row, and then, proceed to sit back and watch Tony Parker run circles around him in the 2nd round.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 04:25 PM
While Dirk deserves the MVP, IMO, I say go ahead and give it to Nash. Let Nash have it for a 3rd year in a row, and then, proceed to sit back and watch Tony Parker run circles around him in the 2nd round.
I don't think it does justice to Dirk to not give him the MVP. Magic won 3 MVP's with Laker teams that won over 70% of their games in the 80's and the 80's Celtics led by 3-time MVP Bird did the same. The Spurs and Mavs stand a good chance to finish the decade doing the same thing and becoming the 3rd and 4th teams to do it. Duncan has 2 MVP's. Dirk should have one, too.

1. Dallas got better after Nash left.

2. Dirk got better after Nash left.

3. Nash couldn't magically make Jamison, Finley, and Walker better.

4. Amare and Marion were very good players before Nash arrived.

5. The Suns offense inflates Nash's stats.

6. Point Guards have the ball in their hands a lot more than Power Forwards.

7. Mav players get more open shots because Dirk gets doubled, but people don't double Nash.

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 04:34 PM
I said Fin will cool off because he almost always fades in April, but he might not this year with fewer minutes. Fin usually regresses in the playoffs.

I'm with you on poor shooting. Defense has a lot to do with it most of the time. Contested shots are a lot lower precentage than uncontested shots. Avery always preaches about uncontested shots.

He learned it from the best!:)

lonny23
04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
He learned it from the best!:)
Nellie's teams sure did give up a lot of uncontested shots!:p

RedRage00
04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Lonny still hatin' on SA and the Spurs! :eek: :p

lonny23
04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I think I've been pretty nice this year. Besides, this thread doesn't make the Hall of Fame without me adding comments all year from the other side!:D We should get Nobel Peace Prizes for no fights or bans over basketball this year!:D

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Nellie's teams sure did give up a lot of uncontested shots!:p

A lot of people don’t remember how marginal a team Dallas was defensively. It is unbelievable how AJ changed that team defensively.

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM

I think I've been pretty nice this year. Besides, this thread doesn't make the Hall of Fame without me adding comments all year from the other side!:D We should get Nobel Peace Prizes for no fights or bans over basketball this year!:D

I have to back Lonny up. Just talking on "how it is" this year.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
A lot of people don’t remember how marginal a team Dallas was defensively. It is unbelievable how AJ changed that team defensively.
Dallas was a middle of the pack team on defense most years, but they were sporadic and had plenty of downs in games. They couldn't get late stops and did pretty bad against the better shooting teams. The main thing Dallas lacked with Nellie was a defensive-minded Center.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I have to back Lonny up. Just talking on "how it is" this year.
I'm getting ripped on the Mavs board for saying this year was a wasted year by Dallas. My contention is that Dallas has underachieved by winning less than they should and since the Jordan Bulls were the only core to ever win 65 games more than once it means Dallas is blowing a great opportunity. I think they'll win 65 again next year, but I'm still harsh with the team and their effort and style of play in some games. Most people are looking at a 65-13 Dallas team, which is obviously the best in franchise history and happy with it. I'm happy with the lofty historical place Dallas will hold, but I'm upset they won't break the Bulls record this year or win 70 games. I don't want the 2nd best season ever. I want the best season ever.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Paul, I'm co-signing with you on this one. The Mavs are basically almost the same team they were before Avery took over. What he has brought to this team can't go unnoticed. He has turned the Mavs into an elite squad by preaching defense and discipline.

What people seem to forget, is that the Mavs were the Phoenix Suns before the Phoenix Suns became the Phoenix Suns. They were exciting to watch, and they scored at will, but they couldn't stop anybody. That has changed drastically in just 2 short years, and at the same time that the Mavs continue to win, they also manage to stay humble. That is all a reflection of their coach.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-13-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm getting ripped on the Mavs board for saying this year was a wasted year by Dallas. My contention is that Dallas has underachieved by winning less than they should and since the Jordan Bulls were the only core to ever win 65 games more than once it means Dallas is blowing a great opportunity. I think they'll win 65 again next year, but I'm still harsh with the team and their effort and style of play in some games. Most people are looking at a 65-13 Dallas team, which is obviously the best in franchise history and happy with it. I'm happy with the lofty historical place Dallas will hold, but I'm upset they won't break the Bulls record this year or win 70 games. I don't want the 2nd best season ever. I want the best season ever.

Well Lonny, you can't win them all. Although, there are some that they lost that they should've won (Lakers, Suns), but, that's just how it goes sometimes. I will say this, the Mavs are going to be good for a long time. They're a young team with a young, fiery coach that has paid his dues as a player. Not to mention, Dirk gets better every year. These guys have that Rodney Daingerfield "no respect" attitude, and they play with a chip on their shoulder. As much as I love Avery, I also have to give tons of credit to Mark Cuban. He has come to Dallas and made the right moves to turn this once-joke of a franchise into a power.

PaulinPlano
04-13-2007, 05:29 PM

You push that horse too hard and it may come up lame for the playoffs. Not worth the risk. The Hardware is more important than 70 wins.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Well Lonny, you can't win them all. Although, there are some that they lost that they should've won (Lakers, Suns), but, that's just how it goes sometimes. I will say this, the Mavs are going to be good for a long time. They're a young team with a young, fiery coach that has paid his dues as a player. Not to mention, Dirk gets better every year. These guys have that Rodney Daingerfield "no respect" attitude, and they play with a chip on their shoulder. As much as I love Avery, I also have to give tons of credit to Mark Cuban. He has come to Dallas and made the right moves to turn this once-joke of a franchise into a power.
Mark Cuban paid immediate dividends. He bought a 9-23 team a few days into January 2000. They finished the year 31-19 and won their last 8 games in April to end up 40-42. 2000-2001 was the first of 7 straight seasons of 50 or more wins, with 5 seasons of 57 or more and 3 of 60 or more wins. The Mavs will have one of the 4 best decades ever in the NBA when 2010 rolls around.

Yeah, they play off of the "no respect" mantra and the media keeps feeding it!:D

Avery is only the coaching winning % leader in NBA history!:D I think the only guys to ever win more than 2/3 of their games are Avery, Phil Jackson, Riley, Pop, Red Auerbach, Billy Cunningham, and K.C. Jones. I think Phil is the only one above .700, but Avery is pushing close to .800

I characterize the Mavs losses as such:

2 NBA robberies (Warriors and Lakers).

2 complete non-shooting nights (Bulls and Nuggets with Nuggets game Mavs fault for too many jumpshots).

3 early funk, not adjusted to each other.

3 December games because they got lazy after a 12 game winning streak that was mostly easy.

That leaves a GS game that either they were too lazy on a long winning streak or they were looking ahead to the Suns. They legitimately lost a Suns game where Phoenix had all the breaks, but I still say they didn't have full intensity for the last Suns game.

I would like to have the 2 robberies back. I'd like for the Mavs to have played better in Denver. I want those 3 December games back. I also want a better game vs. GS in March. I won't gripe about 3 of the first 4 losses, the Bulls game, or the last 2 Suns games. I wish the Mavs were 72-6 instead of 65-13 right now.

lonny23
04-13-2007, 05:36 PM
You push that horse too hard and it may come up lame for the playoffs. Not worth the risk. The Hardware is more important than 70 wins.
The thing is I don't think they've pushed too hard. They've rested guys and that's made games closer and the Suns are the team that's pushing too hard with the core. The 65 wins have looked easy and most of the time it seems like Dallas can do anything when they really want to play.

jrock210
04-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Lonny sees the Spurs rolling
He's hating
there controlling and he's trying to catch them playing dirty

lonny23
04-14-2007, 03:32 AM
Lonny sees the Spurs rolling
He's hating
there controlling and he's trying to catch them playing dirty
I have to be honest. This year has been the first year that I can remember lately that Bowen hasn't pulled a cheapshot at some point in the season. He's usually just a hard-nosed defensive player, but he goes over the edge at times.

Boy, the Twolves are tanking. The Spurs won by almost 20 with limited minutes from the core group. The Mavs beat the Twolves 2 days ago by 16 playing without Dirk, Dampier, Stackhouse, and Harris.

Just to let you guys know, Dallas didn't play Terry, Stackhouse, or Dampier against Utah and the rest of the core guys were playing fewer minutes than normal. On one hand it appears Dallas wasn't as hyped for the game or played as hard, but it was also obvious that they weren't going to risk injury or fatigue to do so.

I think how the Mavs-Spurs game goes from the SA side will be based upon if the Suns beat the Jazz on Saturday. Phoenix needs to lose to Utah for Pop to really try to beat Dallas. I have no idea what Dallas will do. Avery is going to run a dress rehearsal game for the playoffs before the season is over and it might be the Spurs game. I don't think it will be Golden State since the Mavs might play them in Round 1 and it's not good for that game since it's the first half of a back to back. It's going to be hard to do it against the Sonics with fatigue from the night before.

jrock210
04-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I have to be honest. This year has been the first year that I can remember lately that Bowen hasn't pulled a cheapshot at some point in the season. He's usually just a hard-nosed defensive player, but he goes over the edge at times.

Boy, the Twolves are tanking. The Spurs won by almost 20 with limited minutes from the core group. The Mavs beat the Twolves 2 days ago by 16 playing without Dirk, Dampier, Stackhouse, and Harris.

Just to let you guys know, Dallas didn't play Terry, Stackhouse, or Dampier against Utah and the rest of the core guys were playing fewer minutes than normal. On one hand it appears Dallas wasn't as hyped for the game or played as hard, but it was also obvious that they weren't going to risk injury or fatigue to do so.

I think how the Mavs-Spurs game goes from the SA side will be based upon if the Suns beat the Jazz on Saturday. Phoenix needs to lose to Utah for Pop to really try to beat Dallas. I have no idea what Dallas will do. Avery is going to run a dress rehearsal game for the playoffs before the season is over and it might be the Spurs game. I don't think it will be Golden State since the Mavs might play them in Round 1 and it's not good for that game since it's the first half of a back to back. It's going to be hard to do it against the Sonics with fatigue from the night before.

I have only sean Bowen take a cheap shot once but I haven't followed him much. The Spurs vs Mavs game is a bad end of the season matchup

lonny23
04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
I have only sean Bowen take a cheap shot once but I haven't followed him much. The Spurs vs Mavs game is a bad end of the season matchup
The latest rumor is Dallas might try to win the game. Seriously, that's the state of affairs in Dallas these days. We don't know if they're going to try to win or tinker around with backups. Supposedly the Sonics game is the dress rehearsal for the playoffs so I have no idea if they're going to try to beat Golden State or not. They weren't really trying to beat the Twolves, but won by 16 anyway. They weren't trying to beat the Jazz and the lack of effort went with it.

jrock210
04-14-2007, 02:44 PM
The latest rumor is Dallas might try to win the game. Seriously, that's the state of affairs in Dallas these days. We don't know if they're going to try to win or tinker around with backups. Supposedly the Sonics game is the dress rehearsal for the playoffs so I have no idea if they're going to try to beat Golden State or not. They weren't really trying to beat the Twolves, but won by 16 anyway. They weren't trying to beat the Jazz and the lack of effort went with it.

The Mavs don't need to win anymore they clinched 1 seed. I think they should rest the starters.

TexasRed6x
04-14-2007, 02:46 PM
The Mavs don't need to win anymore they clinched 1 seed. I think they should rest the starters.

I can see the Mavs sitting their starters for this one. This game is more important to the Spurs than it is to the Mavs. The Spurs are in a close race for the 2nd seed with the Suns.

lonny23
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
So far,

Dirk has skipped 2 games in April as has Stackhouse and Dampier. Howard missed 2 games with Terry and Harris missing 1 each. George isn't sitting out games, but he was injured in March. Diop is still playing and Buckner probably won't get time off, but he's also been injured.

They've been giving Ager, Barea, and Mensah-Bonsu like 20 minutes a game and Croshere has gone over 30 in some.

I wish they would win games because you don't get many chances to win 65 games.

jrock210
04-15-2007, 05:08 PM
OK lonny you must admit the 2nd technical foul on Duncan was crap. The first I understand but the 2nd he didn't say anything and he only laughed and I'm adding Horry laughed also and got nothing called on him..Good Game but the Mavs played there starters like they usually would which suprised me.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
OK lonny you must admit the 2nd technical foul on Duncan was crap. The first I understand but the 2nd he didn't say anything and he only laughed and I'm adding Horry laughed also and got nothing called on him..Good Game but the Mavs played there starters like they usually would which suprised me.

The refs were bad today, but they've been extremely horrible with those technical fouls. They've given out technicals when they shouldn't have in alot of cases before today.

jrock210
04-16-2007, 09:39 AM
The refs were bad today, but they've been extremely horrible with those technical fouls. They've given out technicals when they shouldn't have in alot of cases before today.

Ya just check out the thread about Duncan being ejected.

lonny23
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
There was a cameraman at the game that said Duncan was crying about calls until he got tossed. Joey Crawford is known for doing that crap. I remember the game when he gave out 8 T's to the Mavs in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals in 2003 in SA.

The Mavs played most of their guys less minutes than normal and Dampier didn't play at all.

Mac Is Back
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
There was a cameraman at the game that said Duncan was crying about calls until he got tossed. Joey Crawford is known for doing that crap. I remember the game when he gave out 8 T's to the Mavs in Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals in 2003 in SA.

The Mavs played most of their guys less minutes than normal and Dampier didn't play at all.

That cameraman is a liar. Duncan attempted to debate an offensive foul he was called for while driving from the baseline. Crawford wouldn't have any of it and turned away. Duncan returned to the bench for the subsequent timeout.

Duncan got his first T while sitting on the bench. He allegedly joked about a call Crawford made during the play he was watching. Crawford heard him and threw him a tech.

The second T was basically Crawford being a baby. Duncan and Horry were laughing together after Crawford blew his whistle at the OTHER END OF THE COURT for unknown reasons. Crawford saw him laughing and ejected him. He apparently thought Duncan was trying to show him up.

P.S. That offensive foul on Oberto still ranks as one of the worst all time.

jrock210
04-16-2007, 05:54 PM

lonny lonny lonny n the imortal words of Donald Trump

"You're fired"

listen if duncan continuously complained about the calls until he was ejected then how come the ref that gave the 2nd t himself said it was because duncan was laughing? Not the complaining but Duncan laughing.

Mac Is Back
04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
Spurs will not win 60 games this season...oh darn.

But after we play Denver, it's the next 16 we need that count. :D

P.S. Joey Crawford is a ******.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
04-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Fellas, and ladies, did y'all forget how Joey Crawford is? This really isn't anything new, but Crawford has been this way for the longest. He'll give anyone the boot for no reason, no matter who it is.

lonny23
04-17-2007, 01:52 PM
That cameraman is a liar. Duncan attempted to debate an offensive foul he was called for while driving from the baseline. Crawford wouldn't have any of it and turned away. Duncan returned to the bench for the subsequent timeout.

Duncan got his first T while sitting on the bench. He allegedly joked about a call Crawford made during the play he was watching. Crawford heard him and threw him a tech.

The second T was basically Crawford being a baby. Duncan and Horry were laughing together after Crawford blew his whistle at the OTHER END OF THE COURT for unknown reasons. Crawford saw him laughing and ejected him. He apparently thought Duncan was trying to show him up.

P.S. That offensive foul on Oberto still ranks as one of the worst all time.1. My original statement was said because Duncan showed displeasure about calls/non-calls throughout the game like he normally does. The cameraman was next to the Spurs bench.

2. Unless you start fessing up about some of the bad calls that went against the Mavs, you have no credibility with me. I know the Oberto call was terrible, but in the grand scheme of things all it did was even up the bad calls in the 3rd quarter at 2-2. Bad calls are going to be made (Some on purpose and some on accident). All you can hope for is that they even out and it doesn't hurt you. The Crawford-Duncan thing wasn't bad calls. That's a totally different issue.

All this game did was create fuel for the fire if the Mavs and Spurs play in the playoffs and it's good business for the NBA. If the NBA was scripting things, they sure have a good plan this time for a potential rematch.

lonny23
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
lonny lonny lonny n the imortal words of Donald Trump

"You're fired"

listen if duncan continuously complained about the calls until he was ejected then how come the ref that gave the 2nd t himself said it was because duncan was laughing? Not the complaining but Duncan laughing.
Watch the game tape or any Spurs game tape and check out the stuff Duncan does during games. He doesn't get T'd up much, but he does a lot of puppy dog looks, palms up, and questions/gripes/complaints about calls and non-calls. I'm not trying to single him out, because every star in the NBA is looking to get calls.

...and I do the firing around here!:D

lonny23
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Spurs will not win 60 games this season...oh darn.

But after we play Denver, it's the next 16 we need that count. :D

P.S. Joey Crawford is a ******.
After Wednesday, you might get 10.

lonny23
04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
Fellas, and ladies, did y'all forget how Joey Crawford is? This really isn't anything new, but Crawford has been this way for the longest. He'll give anyone the boot for no reason, no matter who it is.
You can't tell Spurs fans that. They're the NBA version of welfare. If they don't get all the calls, they cry bloody murder. I've never met a group of fans that felt more entitled to preferential treatment from refs. Seriously, all we'll hear about is one bad call that went against them in lieu of a wave of bad calls that go their way. They still gripe about Game 7 when the refs spent 3 quarters carrying them. Duncan got fouled to end regulation. He deserved free throws, but I was glad he didn't because I was going to come unglued if he got the same call that Dirk didn't get in Game 5 on top of the total travesty the refs made of that game in the effort to keep it close.

Crawford is dirty and he's bad for the NBA, but I still say you know how to act when he's reffing. Guys know they can walk up to Dan Crawford and touch him and ask about calls. They also know Joey would send you to the showers for the same thing. Johnny Ludden said Steve Javie has warned Pop in the past about cooling Tim off because he really didn't want to toss him and it worked. Each ref acts differently. I mean there are only like 70 refs and everybody knows what they can and can't do. Tim did stuff that was going to make him run afoul of Crawford.

jrock210
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Watch the game tape or any Spurs game tape and check out the stuff Duncan does during games. He doesn't get T'd up much, but he does a lot of puppy dog looks, palms up, and questions/gripes/complaints about calls and non-calls. I'm not trying to single him out, because every star in the NBA is looking to get calls.

...and I do the firing around here!:D

Correction DID the firing around here :D

Mac Is Back
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
After Wednesday, you might get 10.

We'll get our 16.

jrock210
04-17-2007, 06:07 PM
We'll get our 16.

Yep remember our deal lonny:D

lol woot we got the smiley:puke

lonny23
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Yep remember our deal lonny:D

lol woot we got the smiley:puke
So far I have $340 riding on the NBA playoffs.

One guy was too chicken to go with a bet he suggested: Whoever loses between the Mavs and Spurs in the playoffs has to shave his head. I shaved mine anyway.

$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Heat.
$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Spurs.
$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Suns.
$20 that the Mavs won't lose in the NBA Finals.
$20 that the Mavs get to the NBA Finals.

Oh, yeah I'm calling a 104-68 score of Dallas over Seattle tonight. It's their dress rehearsal and Avery said they'll play starter-like minutes in the first half. That sounds like they're going to beat the Sonics brains in and rest the main guys. I just think Dallas wants to play a good game after basically goofing off for the last 24 games. The Mavs are 18-6 in the last 24 and have goofed off, tanked games, and lollygagged. They could've won 70 if they wanted to, but Avery wanted the guys to be fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

singularity
04-18-2007, 08:04 PM
They could've won 70 if they wanted to

Could've should've would've

TXFOOSBALL
04-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Duncan hopes refs don't punish Spurs for Crawford

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2842019

jrock210
04-18-2007, 09:41 PM
Duncan hopes refs don't punish Spurs for Crawford

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2842019

This was a hought that came to mind because if you think about it the refs DO share rooms before games (as long as they are the same gender of course) and they do know each other pretty well so this popped into my head.
Spurs may get loads of crap in postseason play but it's just another obstacle.

lonny23
04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
So far I have $340 riding on the NBA playoffs.

One guy was too chicken to go with a bet he suggested: Whoever loses between the Mavs and Spurs in the playoffs has to shave his head. I shaved mine anyway.

$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Heat.
$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Spurs.
$100 that the Mavs play longer than the Suns.
$20 that the Mavs won't lose in the NBA Finals.
$20 that the Mavs get to the NBA Finals.

Oh, yeah I'm calling a 104-68 score of Dallas over Seattle tonight. It's their dress rehearsal and Avery said they'll play starter-like minutes in the first half. That sounds like they're going to beat the Sonics brains in and rest the main guys. I just think Dallas wants to play a good game after basically goofing off for the last 24 games. The Mavs are 18-6 in the last 24 and have goofed off, tanked games, and lollygagged. They could've won 70 if they wanted to, but Avery wanted the guys to be fresh and healthy for the playoffs.I now have $350 on the playoffs and get this twist. Some guy wanted to bet me $10 that Denver will beat the Spurs. I never thought I'd bet money on the Spurs!:D

PaulinPlano
04-19-2007, 03:57 PM
This was a hought that came to mind because if you think about it the refs DO share rooms before games (as long as they are the same gender of course) and they do know each other pretty well so this popped into my head.
Spurs may get loads of crap in postseason play but it's just another obstacle.

If you had to work with Crawford, do you think you would like him? I doubt other refs will think much about it. They probably think Crawford had it coming.

PaulinPlano
04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I now have $350 on the playoffs and get this twist. Some guy wanted to bet me $10 that Denver will beat the Spurs. I never thought I'd bet money on the Spurs!:D

I want some of that action!:p