PDA

View Full Version : Question marks about your team?

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Spring questions await Titan gridders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Dave Rogers -The News staff writer Posted: 04/24/05 - 10:26:02 pm CDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question Mark and the Mysterians.

That was the name of the 1960s band that sang a No. 1 hit called "96 Tears."

But that band name could also apply to the Memorial High football team as it begins spring practice after school today.

It's a Question Mark as to who will be playing quarterback next fall.

It's a Question Mark as to who will be playing running back next fall.

The other positions are mysteries almost as great.

So why doesn't Titans head coach Dean Colbert sound concerned?

"The thing is they're all solid," he says about the players in the mix to start for Memorial's fourth varsity football squad. "It's just who's going to compete the best and win the job for Friday night.

"I could pick several of those guys and we could go right now. It's just a competitive situation."

About the only guarantee for the Titans is that Robert Joseph will play a prominent role.

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound senior-to-be is a two-year starter for the Titans at free safety and has made an early commitment to follow Memorial All-American running back Jamaal Charles to the University of Texas.

The last time he was this confident was before the 2003 season. Hmmmm.......

pack0808
04-25-2005, 12:12 PM
the biggest question mark for the panthers is the offensive line but it seems like that is always the case because most of the ol starters every year our seniors. they always do just fine though so i am not worried. they almost had to replace the whole o-line last year also. lufkin has a new qb but he supposed to be 5 times better then the one we had last year but you never know until you play the game.

PackAttack2005
04-25-2005, 12:35 PM
This group of kids on offensive for Lufkin in 2005 have been together since the eight grade, they play well together. I am not worried about the Lufkin O this year and the D will be just as impressive. Watch out, cause these guys are better than the 2004 team and most of them will also be back for the 2006 team.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that is what scares me if we play them next year and the year after.

Xfballphenome05
04-25-2005, 08:19 PM
no not rlly ne questions,but i would like to point out we went fullpads over hear at S.V. and trent rios was Aesome.with a capital A.so was shrock.both were just fast and powerfull and quick..i 4 one am very impresssed.

ktCarl
04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
I think Katy's ? is at linebacker. The rest of the team is solid. KT2000 will let me know if I'm right or not. I think he lives in a tent inside Katy's practice facilities. ;)

Mad Hatter
04-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Well i dont know if u guys heard but Judsons main question is there new system of Shotgun offense thats going to be more pass inclined... talked to next years quaterback the other day in class. His name is Andrew McNair and he has a decent arm. Should be interesting. Also heard that one of Judsons best Secondary guys Marquise Duboise is going to be our top Running Back he will probably go both ways, should be interesting.

Xfballphenome05
04-25-2005, 09:49 PM
i thought fox was returning 4 a senior season,and since he gained over 2000 yards last year,he would be the assumed starter?

jtk1519
04-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Abilene Cooper's big question mark is the O-line. We only return two starters on defense, but from what I have heard, we are pretty solid on that side of the ball and could be very good on the D-line. QB and RB are both very strong and WR should be solid (though there will not be much experience). O-line is the biggest question. We only return one starter... G Cory Tucker (6'1 240). We have a very good young man, Nick Castleberry (6'1 235), who is young and very strong, but he saw very limited action on the D-line as a soph. before he was moved down to JV last year. Line play has to get better for Cooper this year. It was a trouble spot last year and has to get better to give the QB more time and prevent some of the mistakes that really hurt us last year.

Mad Hatter
04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
i thought fox was returning 4 a senior season,and since he gained over 2000 yards last year,he would be the assumed starter?

Fox was a senior this year :(

LP-79
04-25-2005, 11:03 PM
From all the smack Longview is talking, I think all Lufkin has to worry about is showing up to play them. Why show up when you can't win :D Hopefully LP's offense will jell early, and really be better than last year. They should have more weapons available. The defense should be very very good! Fast and hard hitters! :eek: smashmouth football as the soso announcers on radio call it!

CoppellCowboy57
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I know Coppell has no projected starter at QB, some Sophmore kid, and Jr Tyler Deloach, its is up in the air as far as I can tell. Both of them have been working with the first team offense this off-season, it'll be interesting to see what happens during spring ball, I will be sure to keep up with u this week about it

JCP1984
04-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Jesuit does not hold spring ball, but In heard their HC address an alumni group. He feels good about the '05 Team. He says the TB will be a 6' 0, 220 lb. junior-to-be who, when healthy, is very good. He likes the OL, which was the key in '04. He has a newcomer at QB, but he said he was tall, strong-armed, and very athletic. He says the defense should be good up front, but that they did lose some good DL & LB's. He said the #1 concern was the lack of team speed, but that is always the case at Jesuit. He said he hopes they are again a playoff team in '05, but that it will not be easy. He said they have over 35 seniors-to-be, which is a high number. The JV went 8-1-1 in '04, and their are 25 returnign lettermen off the 10-2 varsity. Someone asked him if they thought they had a shot at a UIL 5A State Title- he smiled, said he wished that were the case, but that realistically that was probably not possible. When asked why, he said he felt as if their was a level that they had not reached yet.

pack0808
04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Well i dont know if u guys heard but Judsons main question is there new system of Shotgun offense thats going to be more pass inclined... talked to next years quaterback the other day in class. His name is Andrew McNair and he has a decent arm. Should be interesting. Also heard that one of Judsons best Secondary guys Marquise Duboise is going to be our top Running Back he will probably go both ways, should be interesting.

tell me it isn't so?? judson is going to a shotgun offense?? nothing is sacred anymore. i guess when your last state championship was in 2002 you need to completely change your whole offense??? ;) i do not want to see them going to a shotgun!! judson is about lining up and playing smashmouth running football.

dragonsdaddy
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
i will be shocked, too to hear that judson has a two way starter. the spread-type offense requires full practice time, as does preparing for it. it also is a physically and stamina demanding offense. it won't happen at such a high expectation school as judson.

CoppellCowboy57
04-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Coppell will used Senior (tobe) Tyler Deloach as there first sting QB, there offensive line looks huge with the exception of one player, but i know he is a strong kid, and is i a fighter by nature..

Xfballphenome05
04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Fox was a senior this year

oh i c,thats good for s.v.