PDA

View Full Version : garland o/c

g-town07
04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
it is confirmed that Garland offensive coordinator Derek Alford is leaving. He is taking a head coach job at 3A Quinlan-Ford (they play celina, pilot point, etc)*i think*. Anyways, Jason Lavender has been promoted to offensive coordinator for Garland and there is a new recievers coach from north mesquite (i think rigney is his name). I know alford is going to be greatly missed but with this change, who knows whats gonna happen with the offense. My guess is that they would stay wing-t because theyve done well on it in the past. Whats yalls input on the matter?

Red Raiders
04-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Are yall still going to be good or better or whatever for Garland?

owldog
04-04-2005, 09:44 AM
An earlier thread said he was not the O/C anymore so I guess we knew this was coming.

I am excited for Alford to get to be head coach. I want to know what the players think baout the new coach.

owlfan 1
04-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Coach Alford will be missed. I wish him well at his new post. He is classy individual and contributed great things to Garland High over the years.

I would guess that the offense will remain Wing T. I just hope they can figure out how to throw the ball a little better...

Red Raiders
04-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Coach Alford will be missed. I wish him well at his new post. He is classy individual and contributed great things to Garland High over the years.

I would guess that the offense will remain Wing T. I just hope they can figure out how to throw the ball a little better...

Do wish to have him than any other good coaches? Yall might find a better coach than him to refresh your team skills and may reach champ.

GarlandOwl06
04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
I dont think he will be missed tooo much

owlfan 1
04-05-2005, 08:29 AM

Just trying to be nice... :D

GARLAND99
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
I know there are plenty of people who will miss coach Alford. Anytime you hold the title of OC or DC you are put under tremendous scrutiny. Sometimes fair sometimes un-fair. Coach Alford was blamed for GHS getting beat by Longview 3 years ago(he called the same plays that night that had gotten them to be 10-0 in the regular season, for which he also recieved no credit; not many people gave the kids any of the responsibility for that loss), Coach Alford recieved NO credit when GHS beat Lufkin 2 years ago, but was criticized for losing to Allen the next week for not throwing more into the 40mph wind. To me it's just unfortunate that so many people sit on the outside looking in, the whole time throwing rocks. I do understand that it is the nature of the coaching profession I just think it's unfortunate. Coaches coach for 3 reasons; #1 They love the game they coach, #2 They love working with YOUR children, #3 They love to win.

Good Luck Coach Alford at Quinlan Ford

owlfan 1
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
I know there are plenty of people who will miss coach Alford. Anytime you hold the title of OC or DC you are put under tremendous scrutiny. Sometimes fair sometimes un-fair. Coach Alford was blamed for GHS getting beat by Longview 3 years ago(he called the same plays that night that had gotten them to be 10-0 in the regular season, for which he also recieved no credit; not many people gave the kids any of the responsibility for that loss), Coach Alford recieved NO credit when GHS beat Lufkin 2 years ago, but was criticized for losing to Allen the next week for not throwing more into the 40mph wind. To me it's just unfortunate that so many people sit on the outside looking in, the whole time throwing rocks. I do understand that it is the nature of the coaching profession I just think it's unfortunate. Coaches coach for 3 reasons; #1 They love the game they coach, #2 They love working with YOUR children, #3 They love to win.

Good Luck Coach Alford at Quinlan Ford

I always found coach Alford to be very nice and accomodating - as for the Allen game, I really didn't have much of a problem with the play calling (we did score over 30 points, after all - if we'd scored in OT on our bread and butter plays, Alford's a hero)- my biggest problem was that Jammar Crane was not in the game at crucial times. I still think he would have made a difference on one of those long runs...

I wish I could remember important things as well as I remember the details of football games played two or more years ago... :)

garlandowl08
04-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Who said 2 year old football games aren't important?

Red Raiders
04-05-2005, 04:46 PM

I agree with you but Hes not mine, lol.

GarlandOwl06
04-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree with you owlfan about jammar not playing in that game. But Garland99 imo if you look at that team that lost too an impressive longview team you cant help but quesiton how they didnt make it to state. I mean that team was so talented on all sides of the field. I will say that they got big headed going into rose stadium and that was part of the cause for the embarassment but when you look at the regular season it didnt matter what plays were called taurence rawls was so good that he was gonna make plays happen every time.

Does anyone else think rawls was underlooked? I mean he wasnt even first team all area. I though he was better than what people around the state gave him credit for. I remember agains north mesquite when he ran for 237 yards. I know thats kinda random but i just thought about that.

mtbray
04-06-2005, 12:32 AM
I always found coach Alford to be very nice and accomodating - as for the Allen game, I really didn't have much of a problem with the play calling (we did score over 30 points, after all - if we'd scored in OT on our bread and butter plays, Alford's a hero)- my biggest problem was that Jammar Crane was not in the game at crucial times. I still think he would have made a difference on one of those long runs...

I wish I could remember important things as well as I remember the details of football games played two or more years ago... :)

Wait wasn't that the second year in a row Naaman beat Allen? :D

GARLAND99
04-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Owlfan 1, your right, Jammar Crane should have been in a little more but he had injured his foot pretty bad in the last game of the regular season. I was frankly amazed that he played at all against Lufkin that year. Another thing that really hurt them against Allen was that Travis Grieder rolled his ankle pretty badly early in the game. I agree with you that if grieder and Crane were fully healthy there'd have been a different outcoume.

owldad
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Hey Owlfan, It's good to be back online. I am glad to see Alford getting a HC job. I think he is a good person and coach. Anyone who has read any of my posts over the months concerning the Garland O knows how I feel about it!!! I don't know if Alford was shackled by it at times or what but he did tend to be somewhat unimaginative. When the right personnel is in place the O runs magnificently and most anyone could call the game. When the personnel is not quite suited for the Wing-T we tend to stick to it regardless of the outcome. Garland runs a very good offensive scheme, but not a great one. (I don't think that is what this thread is about, is it?) Oh well...congratulations Coach Alford!

owlfan 1
04-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Good to hear from you, owldad. I'm intriqued about what the offense will look like with coach Levander (sp?) running it. I hope (as i do every year) that they'll incorporate more of a passing game into their offense, but time will tell.

I wonder how long it'll talk our old buddy roughrider to find the new board... :cool:

cloudofdust
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Coach Alford never did anything but work hard and put the kids and program first at GHS. Don't blame the offense on him. He was handcuffed with going back to the Wing-T in 2001. After they opened up the offense and ran his spread offense. The quarterback got hurt in the Plano East game, the first game of the year. The other kids were not ready to run the offense yet and they had a rough year. Offseason rolls around and the guy with the office under the press box comes in and tells Coach Jordan get back to the Wing-T or you'll all get fired. What would you do if you are Jordan. Wing-T comes back and Coach Alford does what he is told and they win games. Playoff losses are part of the game but everyone sells him down the river.

Taut
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Coach Alford never did anything but work hard and put the kids and program first at GHS. Don't blame the offense on him. He was handcuffed with going back to the Wing-T in 2001. After they opened up the offense and ran his spread offense. The quarterback got hurt in the Plano East game, the first game of the year. The other kids were not ready to run the offense yet and they had a rough year. Offseason rolls around and the guy with the office under the press box comes in and tells Coach Jordan get back to the Wing-T or you'll all get fired. What would you do if you are Jordan. Wing-T comes back and Coach Alford does what he is told and they win games. Playoff losses are part of the game but everyone sells him down the river.

Never did ANYTHING but work hard......?????? I beg to differ. Although he may have worked hard, there are several other things he did as well.

Don't blame the offense on him??? Why not, he had full control of the offense coming in. It was his offense.

The other kids weren't ready to run the run and poop???? So you mean if the QB would've stayed healthy, that they would've faired differently because they had ONE kid ready? Come on man.....deal with reality.

Off-season rolls around.....and then there's a change????? Again...please know your facts. The wing T was installed after 3 sorry performances and 3 losses with the Run and poop. The Wing T was installed at mid-season and won some games. This was Jordon's decision.....according to Jordon himself.

Sells him down the river......LOL????? What goes around, comes around. His is just starting to come around.

GarlandOwl06
04-06-2005, 08:54 PM
I totally agree. I think we should have known somethin when alford was fired by martin.

owldad
04-07-2005, 10:51 AM
I am certainly not on here selling out or trashing Coach Alford. I have my opinions and they were stated that he seemed slightly unimaginative and shackled by the system. I have heard all about the edicts handed down by Homer and don't know how much of it is really true or not. Regardless, he is headed to what sounds like a great situation and I wish him the best of luck!

GTown02
04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes, hope Coach Alford does a good job as a H.C.

Glad to see the new boards up, and I cant wait for preseason to come!

cloudofdust
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
In reply to TAUT. What do you think Jordon was going to say, "Mr. J came in and told me to switch back or he was going to fire me!" I don't really think so. As for the Q.B. getting hurt, yea it was a big deal, they didn't have another in the house who could hold a candle to the one that got hurt. They tried to continue without him but the other Q.B. was not in the same class. Run and Shoot kind of needs a pretty good Q.B. if you hadn't noticed. So Mr. J let them try for a couple of more weeks and then went in and gave the ultimatium. Now I wonder if you were coach Alford and the head Coach said the A.D. said switch or we all will be looking for jobs, what you would do? Why then could they run the Wing-T?, carry over from previous years and less demanding on the Q.B. What has been Garland's success, ball-control and defense! Why state in 99'? Ball control and little passing mixed in, and defense.

CoppellCowboy57
04-07-2005, 02:07 PM
its always sad, at least you dont have to face him next year in high school, I had to face my coachs dad, and a former coach 2x during my hs career

Garland02
04-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Obviously alot goes on in the field house none of us know anything about. The fact that Martin let him go does make you wonder....but we had some great years with Alford at OC, hopefully things won't fall off now.

garlandredraider
04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Try facing your entire old coaching staff that won you a state championship in 1999, then facing them in 2003 and losing in OT. Sucks.

Stranglehold
04-13-2005, 09:36 AM
It is obvious to me that Cloudofdust and Garland99is are the only persons on this thread that actually know Derek as a person and not as one of their coaches.
Derek is one of the finest people I know or will ever know. Is he a little eccentric--yes. But I will guarantee you one thing--the kids at Ford will act right and play hard or they won't be a part of the program. You also won't see his name in the paper or on this thread for doing something that is less than honest. Isn't that the type of person you want around your son for 4-5 hours a day? Good luck Coach Alford. You deserve all of the success that will come your way.

As for you others who keep bringing up Jammar Crane not being in the game at the end...He was hurt. A kid that normally runs a 4.58 in the forty was at about 60% for the game...he might have run a 5.2 on that day. What would you have done? :confused:

owlfan 1
04-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Jammar had been hurt for most of the year. He saw significant playing time against Lufkin and made the biggest play of the game. The point was that when two huge runs were broken against the defense in the Allen game, he wasn't in the game - wondering if he would have made a difference on those two plays.

Truthfully, bringing up Jammar was sort of tongue and cheek. You know, making fun of myself for still remembering details of a game that was played two years ago... :rolleyes:

Stranglehold
04-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Point taken. Crane was a great football player when he was healthy. Are there any more at Garland right now with that potential?

Taut
04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Stranglehold

I have never played for Alford, nor would I allow my son to again. I know him in the "adult world". I know him in the "professional world". I know him in casual settings and have seen him in pressure situations. I have been around him for quite a while now. Consulted many coaching methods to him. I KNOW him. Do I think he is a good coach? Sure. Do I trust him or would I ever? NO way in hell. He's a liar and a cutthroat (reference what happened to Jake for riding with horse thieves). It's surely sad when one feels so compelled to pull others down to elevate their own status. He'll get his at Quinlan Ford. I actually coached with him when he won big and helped turn some things around somewhere. So yes, he can coach and NO WAY is he to be trusted.

To think things said at other coach's houses wouldn't get back to me. Let's here it boys.

Get a rope!

owldad
04-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Wow!!! And to think I just thought I knew what was going on around the GHS fieldhouse. Sounds like some of you need to solve your personal differences via another forum.(or keep them to yourself) That's some mighty rough accusations there, Taut!

owlfan 1
04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Taut -

With all due respect to your feelings and personal opinions, this may not be the best place to vent personal frustration by lodging personal attacks.

You obviously have major issues with the coach. Perhaps those issues should be aired to him more personally, and not here.

Just my two cents...

why do all the garland threads always end up so bitter and hateful?

owldad
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I guess there really is something to that old saying, "ignorance is bliss". I love watching and rooting for the Owls regardless.

Roughrider
04-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Wow!! Sounds like a little wrinkle in the sheets over there at "We will Win"???You boys turn on each other like a fat woman turns on a grill cheese!!

Stranglehold
04-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Sounds like somebody had a son that couldn't or didn't play much.

Stranglehold
04-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Taut:

I will also say that while you are definetly entitled to you opinions and feelings, I have never known Coach Alford as dishonest. I have known him for lots of things but not that.

owldad
04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Owlfan,

If you ever wonder if Roughrider is still out there breathing, just start up a good old controversial Owl thread and he will eventually show up! He's like a bloodhound! :D Gotta love him!

Roughrider
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Glad you missed me! :p
I've just been sitting back looking and listening. More interested in the district track meet that is taking place Thursday and Friday. Dang, I didn't realize that SG had that much speed? Watched them qualify kid after kid this afternoon. My ponies are still learning how to compete but they're gonna figure it out!

GoOwls
04-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey Rough, nice to see you made the transition, I was affraid you had left. :eek: You're kind of like a fly, stir up a pile of horse dung and one is bound to show up. Just remember, wrinkled sheets can be a good thing. :D How's the band doing over at the new school? Enjoy your grilled cheese! :)

Taut
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Taut:

I will also say that while you are definetly entitled to you opinions and feelings, I have never known Coach Alford as dishonest. I have known him for lots of things but not that.

You ain't known him long!

GarlandOwl06
04-16-2005, 12:32 AM
I agree with taut. But about j-crane.. no he wasnt hurt in the allen game he didnt start because he missed some games from being hurt... at least thats what he told me.