PDA

View Full Version : Better Solo Artist

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Michael Jackson or Elvis?

Why?

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:24 AM
Elvis had control over the women, who in turn control men with sex, so from a power standpoint, Elvis was the cats pajamas. In my opinion, Elvis' music is just better...its hard to compare the two though considering the time gap between them.

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:30 AM
Perhaps we can try someone a little more recent.

Brittney Spears or Jessica Simpson?

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:35 AM

Damn...that just doesn't work for me either...I would have to go with Jessica just because she has a better body at the moment.

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:38 AM
I think Jessica has a better stage presence and better vocals.

In terms of overall show , I think Brittany wins that one.

Overall, I think Brittany has ruined her image in recent years and I think Jessica's stock is on the rise.

I like Jessica in terms of long term success.

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Sufjan Stevens or Thom Yorke?

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:40 AM
I think Jessica has a better stage presence and better vocals.

In terms of overall show , I think Brittany wins that one.

Overall, I think Brittany has ruined her image in recent years and I think Jessica's stock is on the rise.

I like Jessica in terms of long term success.

I agree...vocals are a big factor in this comparison

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Sufjan Stevens or Thom Yorke?

Never heard of them.

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Never heard of them.

The you are missing out...maybe its not your cup of tea, but do you like radiohead?

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:45 AM
No.

I listen to Texas Country.

singularity
12-12-2006, 02:48 AM
No.

then you would probably pick stevens out of the two as he is a bit more folky

Rerun
12-12-2006, 02:56 AM
http://www.myspace.com/acesovereightstexas

I like these guys right now.

mtbray
12-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Michael Jackson.

Elvis was a damn thief. The song that made him famous he stole and the original, Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup was never compensated (although his family was partially compensated after his death).

slorch
12-12-2006, 05:03 AM
kenny G...:D

Elvis by a landslide. As big as MJ was, and they both had idiosyncrosies, to say the least; Elvis' contributions were much more groundbreaking and iconic. Elvis was a musician. MJ was a show( a freakshow, at that.)

Elvis had a drug problem.
MJ has a little boy problem.
that's all I need to know...

mtbray
12-12-2006, 05:16 AM
kenny G...:D

Elvis by a landslide. As big as MJ was, and they both had idiosyncrosies, to say the least; Elvis' contributions were much more groundbreaking and iconic. Elvis was a musician. MJ was a show( a freakshow, at that.)

Elvis had a drug problem.
MJ has a little boy problem.
that's all I need to know...

See my post above. He was little more than a performer IMHO, as taught to me by Clifford Antone.

Elvis did change music forever, but people give him waaaay too much credit. He was just performing for a new audience what others had been doing for quite a while.

slorch
12-12-2006, 06:53 AM
See my post above. He was little more than a performer IMHO, as taught to me by Clifford Antone.

Elvis did change music forever, but people give him waaaay too much credit. He was just performing for a new audience what others had been doing for quite a while.

exactly what audience is MJ performing to?:D

( you can't count the jackson 5, it's only since little jacko went solo)
I hear ya on Elvis too...

backthepack
12-12-2006, 08:25 AM
No.

Good taste.

And out of those guys I would probably pick Elvis and Sufjan...I actually have alot of Stevens but none of that other guy.

ktCarl
12-12-2006, 08:46 AM

They are both talentless.

ktCarl
12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Elvis had control over the women, who in turn control men with sex, so from a power standpoint, Elvis was the cats pajamas. In my opinion, Elvis' music is just better...its hard to compare the two though considering the time gap between them.

Agreed. Elvis was a sex symbol with some good tunes. Michael had a string of good Pop tunes and a larger audience because of the information age. Heck, not everyone had a T.V. when Elvis made it big.

ktCarl
12-12-2006, 08:52 AM
No.

The new band I'm in wants to cover a maximum of 5 Country tunes. We want them upbeat and danceable. Is Texas Country the music we need to play? If so, who are the artists? I usually don't listen to Country unless I'm out eating BBQ.

backthepack
12-12-2006, 09:19 AM
The new band I'm in wants to cover a maximum of 5 Country tunes. We want them upbeat and danceable. Is Texas Country the music we need to play? If so, who are the artists? I usually don't listen to Country unless I'm out eating BBQ.

Everclear by Roger Creager is a great one...I haven't ever dance to it but man it can get the party goin'!

Very simple to play on the guitar too. A simple G, Cadd9, and D and a capo on your second fret (or no capo if you like it better) will get the job done.

Also, Love by Roger Creager is a good one as well. Also simple to play. A, E, and D are the only chords you need.

dada
12-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Michael Jackson or Elvis?

Why?

Micheal Jackson+ Elvis Pressly= Little Richard...so I would say little richard is better than both of them....