PDA

View Full Version : Flexbone

SACokeSooner
12-03-2006, 04:27 PM
How many teams run this offense? I know on the 1A level in college, only Air Force and Navy run it, but what 5A schools in Texas run it? I only know of one, SA Holmes.

It is potentially a very effective offense, especially with a good FB.

rams55
12-03-2006, 04:29 PM
How many teams run this offense? I know on the 1A level in college, only Air Force and Navy run it, but what 5A schools in Texas run it? I only know of one, SA Holmes.

It is potentially a very effective offense, especially with a good FB.

i believe lubbock monterey lined up in it a little bit against colleyville

MidLineOption73
12-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Klein Collins used to run it.
Oak Ridge runs it, and
College Park has it in as a package.

SACokeSooner
12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Anybody have any thoughts on this offense?

big guy 65
12-05-2006, 04:46 PM
The flexbone is a very exhilirating offense to watch when its run to perfection the problem with it these days is there tends to be no balance in it pass to run and the level that is required to execute it perfectly at is almost impossible to have high school kids be at week in week out. All these reasons have caused this offense to slowly become a dying art which truly is a shame because when executed perfect it is a beautiful offense to watch

G-Man
12-06-2006, 12:29 PM
The flexbone is a very exhilirating offense to watch when its run to perfection the problem with it these days is there tends to be no balance in it pass to run and the level that is required to execute it perfectly at is almost impossible to have high school kids be at week in week out. All these reasons have caused this offense to slowly become a dying art which truly is a shame because when executed perfect it is a beautiful offense to watch

I agree. Another problem is that both wings need to be similar in ability for play timing to be the same each way. Most high schools dont have that. Then there is the problem you mentioned with passing. Not difficult to play action pass, but the 3 steps are hard to disguise.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, Mansfield Summit ran it LAST YEAR, but I don't about this year. If you can find any tapes of Summit from the 2005 season and before, you'll see how beautifully they ran it.

big guy 65
12-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Oh I have seen Mansfield Summit run it have no fear in my 4 year career the only two teams I played that ran the flexbone that I can remember was Mansfield Summit and Lubbock Monterey both of which did a great job with it. fortunantly not ever quite good enough

Westlake10
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM
San Marcos and A&M Consolodated run only it at the freshman level and SM Varsity runs it most of the time , not sure about AMC, but I'm sure they run it at least half the time.

BigDK89
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Kingwood switched to the offense this year with great success. We averaged over 300 yards on the ground with another 100 in the air for our last 7 games. I'd give the flexbone alot of the credit for us makeing it to the playoffs for the first time in 5 or 6 years. The beauty of the offense is that you don't need to pass. The only way to stop the tripple option is to start slanting to the motion of the backside slot back. As soon as teams do that you hit them with a reverse option or an inside reverse to keep them honest. There is no need to pass to open up the running game, you just use different runs to open up the others.

big guy 65
12-08-2006, 12:42 PM
That is the idea of the flexbone yes to use its motion style and all the different styles of veer and midline you can run out of it to keep everything open but with athletes and defenses in this time and age if you can't keep the safeties out of the box its extremely hard to have success and I have yet to see a run that can force a safety to stay out of the box. but maybe there is if anyone sees it do let me know I'd love to see how that works

BigDK89
12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
a wide pitch helps a bit to keep the safeties out of the box, and reverse keeps them reading instead of charging down field, but you're right the only way to truely keep them out of the box is to throw. Kingwood had big success throwing 4 deep routs on play action (both wr's and both slots on go routs).

toddg
01-02-2007, 10:30 AM
when lineweaver was the OC at southlake and later the HC at commerce he coached the flexbone to near perfection. like other posters who have commented it is a thing of art to see ran well.

BHS03
01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Richardson Berkner runs the flexbone under direction of Coach Ledford. It is definitely a thing of beauty when properly executed.

It also helps to have a QB like this running it. Too bad he's leaving for Baylor this Fall set to play RB/SS I believe.
http://209.200.248.16/~natex2/forum/vB/showthread.php?t=8669

EDIT: He's not going to Baylor anymore.. looking at UH

KT2000
01-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Galveston Ball ran the flexbone in the 90s. I don't know if they've continued doing that. In 99, Lawrence Richardson ran it very well.

jakerz
01-07-2007, 01:12 PM
The flex when ran perfectly/semi-perfectly is one of the greatest things to watch in football.

trojanbacker
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
I believe when Lineweaver (now at Trinity) was the OC at SLC, they scored something like 800 points or something crazy like that one season running the flexbone. SLC posters here would know better than me; it's just something I heard.

Trinity Alum
02-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I believe when Lineweaver (now at Trinity) was the OC at SLC, they scored something like 800 points or something crazy like that one season running the flexbone. SLC posters here would know better than me; it's just something I heard.

That wouldn't surprise me.

ThEgReAtOnE
02-20-2008, 03:33 PM
It depends on how you run the flexbone. Today, there's a version of the Triple-Option ran out of the flexbone, but it uses a shotgun set and no FB. It's actually a version of the "Zone Read". Instead of using 2 RB's in a Double-Tight-Slot formation, you could have a tweener or slash player (Noel Devine, Trindon Holliday, etc.) in a tight-slot and a WR in the opposite tight-slot. (Whatever works for you!) When the QB gives the motion-signal, either one of the slot-players will make a loop behind the QB and at that time the QB will usually either 1) hand the ball off to the TB standing beside him, 2) keep the ball and run (usually up the gut), or 3) Run parrallel with the player who is in looping-motion and pitch to him. Or.. the QB can fake all 3 options and the pitch-player will step back to give immediate blocking aide to the QB, while the QB drops back (out of a run position) locates and passes the ball to a receiver. (Perhaps passing back across the field, attacking a laxing Safety/CB, or to a screen w/ the PA-RB!)

The normal (basic) formation and usage of 3 RB's (2 TB's and 1 FB) along with 2 WR's is a bit played out, considering the size, power and speed of athletes today. I think John Curtis runs a version of the flexbone, but they use a TB in the up position. (They are one of the few teams still very successful doing it!) I like the Zone Read (Flexbone/Several-Option) version better! The versatility is absolutely awesome! La Marque and Texas City have (for the most part) run these kinds of offenses, for years. And since 1993, they combine for about 10 or 11 State Championship appearances w/ 6 or 7 State Titles won.

DrEdward
02-21-2008, 07:49 AM

I believe (without checking) that the 92 Carroll team scored 803 points and that was with the starters out by the end of the 3rd quarter. No Carroll team since then, not even those during the 5A period, have come close to scoring that many points. The 92 Carroll team was obviously far less passing oriented than have been the more recent Carroll teams.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
It depends on how you run the flexbone. Today, there's a version of the Triple-Option ran out of the flexbone, but it uses a shotgun set and no FB. It's actually a version of the "Zone Read". Instead of using 2 RB's in a Double-Tight-Slot formation, you could have a tweener or slash player (Noel Devine, Trindon Holliday, etc.) in a tight-slot and a WR in the opposite tight-slot. (Whatever works for you!) When the QB gives the motion-signal, either one of the slot-players will make a loop behind the QB and at that time the QB will usually either 1) hand the ball off to the TB standing beside him, 2) keep the ball and run (usually up the gut), or 3) Run parrallel with the player who is in looping-motion and pitch to him. Or.. the QB can fake all 3 options and the pitch-player will step back to give immediate blocking aide to the QB, while the QB drops back (out of a run position) locates and passes the ball to a receiver. (Perhaps passing back across the field, attacking a laxing Safety/CB, or to a screen w/ the PA-RB!)

When Texas QB John Chiles was the QB at Mansfield Summit, that's exactly how they ran it...out of the shotgun.

ThEgReAtOnE
02-22-2008, 05:15 PM
When Texas QB John Chiles was the QB at Mansfield Summit, that's exactly how they ran it...out of the shotgun.

La Marque has run that for years. Texas City used to use a Cross, as the Slot-WR would loop-motion, then line-up next the QB (There would be a RB on both sides of the QB). The ball would be hiked and the QB would perform two PA's, handing off to the 1st RB, 2nd RB or keeping it and running... or dropping back to pass. This past year was the first time I've seen Texas City go strictly to a Power-I Formation. They went 10-2 using it and swept Dickinson, Friendswood and La Marque.. using it. They almost beat eventual state champsps, Lake Travis, using the Power-I as well. Personally, I think TC could've been more productive using their #1 RB (Johnny Thomas) at QB and running the Zone Read with him, while Justin Branch is in at RB. They had speed on the outside and could've been explosive at any position.

Chiles needs to transfer, plain and simple.

Matthew 2000 Eagle
02-22-2008, 06:04 PM
La Marque has run that for years. Texas City used to use a Cross, as the Slot-WR would loop-motion, then line-up next the QB (There would be a RB on both sides of the QB). The ball would be hiked and the QB would perform two PA's, handing off to the 1st RB, 2nd RB or keeping it and running... or dropping back to pass. This past year was the first time I've seen Texas City go strictly to a Power-I Formation. They went 10-2 using it and swept Dickinson, Friendswood and La Marque.. using it. They almost beat eventual state champsps, Lake Travis, using the Power-I as well. Personally, I think TC could've been more productive using their #1 RB (Johnny Thomas) at QB and running the Zone Read with him, while Justin Branch is in at RB. They had speed on the outside and could've been explosive at any position.

Chiles needs to transfer, plain and simple.

I don't know how accurate this rumor is that I heard, but, someone that I know that has someone close to the Horns' football team has stated that they'll be using Chiles in numerous different ways, and formations. Chiles is one of the fastest dudes I've seen walk on 2 feet.

Raiders09
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Northbrook ran the flexbone formation for the pas two years

ThEgReAtOnE
02-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Northbrook ran the flexbone formation for the pas two years

What was their success?? Failure??

Raiders09
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
it's been slightly better then the previous offense which was the "I" and shotgun after goin 0-10 for two years and then using the flexbone which braught us a record of 2-8 the 1st year and 3-7 the 2nd year I say it's been a success

ThEgReAtOnE
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
it's been slightly better then the previous offense which was the "I" and shotgun after goin 0-10 for two years and then using the flexbone which braught us a record of 2-8 the 1st year and 3-7 the 2nd year I say it's been a success

All you need for a true flexbone is penetration and perimeter containment-n-speed. I'd run a 3-4 or 3-3-Stack (speed defenses) against the Flexbone all day-n-night and give up maybe 10 total yds. :D

Now, when you get into the shotgun version of the Flexbone (basically the Zone Read w/ looping motion) you can open up a can of arse whoopin'! ;)

Goodluck to your team!

KT2000
02-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Now, when you get into the shotgun version of the Flexbone (basically the Zone Read w/ looping motion) you can open up a can of arse whoopin'!

I enjoyed seeing Pasadena Memorial's version of this offense. It makes Snelson virtually impossible to key on. It takes a total team effort on defense. You can't just focus in on one area.

ThEgReAtOnE
02-29-2008, 09:53 AM
I enjoyed seeing Pasadena Memorial's version of this offense. It makes Snelson virtually impossible to key on. It takes a total team effort on defense. You can't just focus in on one area.

Yep. It also helps to take pressure off of other areas that may be lacking quality depth, such as the O-line and WR's. It's a camaflouge offense that can be very potent.

velocio
08-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Cedar Park's coach Ross runs the flex bone as well as anybody. It helps the offense by being simple but looking complicated.

SLC93
08-24-2008, 05:20 PM
when lineweaver was the OC at southlake and later the HC at commerce he coached the flexbone to near perfection. like other posters who have commented it is a thing of art to see ran well.

When we were running it, it didn't have a name yet. Lineweaver doesn't get enough credit for what he did to the original wishbone offense. We called it the multibone. If you want to see it run to perfection go to REB Photo's website. They have Carroll games available on dvd that date back to that era. Anything from the 87, 88 & 92 seasons will blow you away. The 92 offense was probably the apex in the evolution of the bone.

Shokkin da wrld
08-31-2008, 09:38 PM
All you need for a true flexbone is penetration and perimeter containment-n-speed. I'd run a 3-4 or 3-3-Stack (speed defenses) against the Flexbone all day-n-night and give up maybe 10 total yds. :D

Now, when you get into the shotgun version of the Flexbone (basically the Zone Read w/ looping motion) you can open up a can of arse whoopin'! ;)

Goodluck to your team!

last year we wan like a similar formation to the flexbone. its called the slot t. like what pfluggerville runs. and san benito's defense is the 3-3-Stack and we put up like 600 yrds.