PDA

View Full Version : Katy 06 vs Katy ? - Is 06 Worthy?

KatyTigerDad0407
12-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I love the Katy Tigers.

Last year at Texas Stadium when Andy tried so desperately at the end to help get the Tigers some more points, I said to myself, Will is graduating, We won't have another QB like Dalton for a long time, and I don't see the Tigers going very deep either. I was sick about it. That 05 team to me was the best we were going to be for a while.

Funny thing is when we lost to Lake in 04 I felt the same way about the 04 team. James was graduating. I really thought if Dalton was QB in 04(nothing against Gayhart)and we had ran that 2 point con.(nothing against Coach). If woulds were coulds, you know what I mean. I was sick, and didn't think we were going anywhere in 05.

03 was the best for me. except for that little trip up to Lufkin:D I'll take that though. I almost needed medical attention, thank God for Big Ben Johnson and Mr. MOOOOOOuton, and of course Will and James.

02 My oldest one who is now 20, was trying to get me to come out and watch Katy play Smithson Valley. - That is where the Katy expirience started for me.

I think this 06 team is the best I have ever seen. My expirience goes back to 02. You say even better than 03? Yes, to me they are the best I have ever seen.

I know it is debateable, please share. Where does 06 fit in for you?

rwilleby
12-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Right now, 13-0...

WestlandTiger'95
12-03-2006, 10:54 AM
wait till you see 07!

katyfan52
12-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Right now, 13-0...
You always know how to cut right to the chase, rwilleby! Ditto! :)

eagleike
12-03-2006, 10:57 AM
1997 Katy team was the best I ever saw:eek:

Drake
12-03-2006, 10:59 AM
I think this 06 team is the best I have ever seen. I know it is debateable, please share.If you think it's the best you've ever seen who am I to tell you you've seen better?

rwilleby
12-03-2006, 10:59 AM
:)

(I am partial to the '03 season, though... That's when my girls graduated and it was a ton of fun... But then again, my son graduated in '06 so the '05 team was fun too... Heck, I liked them ALL!)

UT66
12-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Unreal that the group I generally sit with has had this very same conversation topic. I posted last year that the 05 Tigers were the most "FUN" Tiger team in recent memory and the 06 year was a rebuilder. Started kinda shaky with doing just enough to get the job done but then just like the Tigers always do, they jump to warp drive in the second half of the season. But this year, I truly believe they are more fun than last years team. But again you cant compare teams of different years very well and the 94 team is arguably one of the best ever but the players just seem to be having more intensity this year and I didnt think that was possible. Is the tradition moving to a higher plane?

KatyTigerDad0407
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
06-13gms PF-444 PA-85

05-15gms PF-572 PA-163

04-14gms PF-444 PA-186

03-16gms PF-520 PA-225

I could do more but NFL football is starting.

texalaska
12-03-2006, 12:19 PM
What do I know? I'm just a football mom who's been watching since 1995.

In my opinion all Katy teams are good.

But after seeing 06 Katy Tigers play since the Cinco game...

I have decided this is the best team EVER.

I was in awe when we had our total Jr Varsity team in a playoff game and they continued to dominate the other team.

Next year is almost scary to think about - they will be THAT GOOD.

ktchamp97
12-03-2006, 12:30 PM
This year's Katy team is still forging their legacy. I don't think you can truly compare them to the other teams until they complete their run. So far, they definitely rank amongst some of the best Katy has had, but those other teams also took home (or played for) a state title. That's not to take away from what this team is doing, it's just that they still have work to do.

I still say that the 2000 team is hands down the best team Katy has ever had. '97, '98, and '03 were obviously great, but the 2000 team was the most dominant, and most complete of them all. Next year's team has the potential (read: ain't done it yet) to top them all.

KTFURB
12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Been watching since '92and my humble choices are:
1. 2000 Jared Kaspar, IMO, is the best at running the offense that I have seen. Not the total skill package of Rob Peters but, as a senior he rarely made a mistake. In the state championship against JT he played practically the perfect game. Jamel Branch played at UNT, the original MOO, Keith Mouton, and a typically stout defense. This offense was virtually unstoppable. The most team speed we had possessed up til that time.
2. 1997 Huge and very talented o-line. The BEST we've had. Heitmann, NFL player 2 other D! linemen, Michael De La Torre, IMO, the best tight end we've had, Rusty Bucy, the best LB we've had. Two good running backs in Bronston Carroll (Naval Acad.) and Ryan Green. Matt Gore an overachieving QB. Had they not fumbled away an early game to Langham Creek they might have made my #1.
3. 1994 Rob Peters and Bill Jatzlau. The romp over Judson at Texas' Memorial Stadium put us on the map. Defense couldn't figure out Plano's option and the wind played havoc with the passing game that cold and blustery day at Kyle Field.
4. 2003 I wasn't a believer until they won it all. The team with by far the most heart and the least ability overall. That last comment being said, Wil Thompson is probably the most talented overall player I've seen at Katy and James Aston is easily the most dominating running back. Aston didn't possess the speed of Branch or Keith Mouton, or the moves of Jatzlau (pretty fly for a white guy) but his combination of power, speed and agility puts him at the top of my class. Moo 2 had speed to burn. Ben Johnson, while not possessing the natural skills of Kaspar or Peters, is the only QB in 5A football to beat Southlake Carroll. What can I say, he was a winner.
5 2005 A different way to put points on the board, throw the ball all over the field. Since it was last year, no point in mentioning names. We all know who they were. The rumors or truth about Andy's broken hand was apparently a factor in the final two games. IMO as I've stated before on this site, the offensive scheme changed to very conservative in the SV and SLC games. It was almost as if we felt we had to play "normal" Katy football (dominate time of possession with the running game) in order to win. This team did not have that ability. Had Andy not suffered the injury I feel we could have given SLC a much more competitive game.
As for this years squard I'll reserve judgement until the final game. As with almost all previous teams, they get better each week. I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

KatyTigerDad0407
12-03-2006, 12:37 PM
KTFURB, I enjoyed reading your post. I wasn't around to see the teams you saw. I also think KTChamp97 makes a good point about this team completing it's run.

pack0808
12-03-2006, 12:37 PM
This year's Katy team is still forging their legacy. I don't think you can truly compare them to the other teams until they complete their run. So far, they definitely rank amongst some of the best Katy has had, but those other teams also took home (or played for) a state title. That's not to take away from what this team is doing, it's just that they still have work to do.

I still say that the 2000 team is hands down the best team Katy has ever had. '97, '98, and '03 were obviously great, but the 2000 team was the most dominant, and most complete of them all. Next year's team has the potential (read: ain't done it yet) to top them all.

Be careful there champ. We were all thinking that in LP land in 03 and 06. ;) LP does much better without all the #1 hype.

I have not had a chance to see this Katy team but I am sure they are very good like usual. Seems like they have a very stout D

ktchamp97
12-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Be careful there champ. We were all thinking that in LP land in 03 and 06. ;) LP does much better without all the #1 hype.

I have not had a chance to see this Katy team but I am sure they are very good like usual. Seems like they have a very stout D That's why I used the phrase "has the potential to" versus "will be". ;) Potential doesn't mean much if you don't use it.

KT2000
12-03-2006, 12:46 PM
This is a very good Katy team in my opinion, but I don't think you can't make a judgement until the body of work is complete. I agree with champ there.

Katyexrb29
12-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Have to give it to 2000 only because im biased

KTFURB
12-03-2006, 01:04 PM
1997 Katy team was the best I ever saw:eek:
Your pick doesn't surprise me Ike. The game between Katy and Ike that day at Rice Stadium was a classic. I still maintain that Eisenhower was the best team we played that year. One fumble was the difference in the game.

hiphiphooray
12-04-2006, 05:12 PM
The 1997 game against Ike was one of the best for sure. Ike had so much talent and Katy fought hard for the win. Very exciting game!

EagleIke, were you a player in that game?

KT2000
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
That 97 Katy-Ike game remains the most well played HS football game I've ever seen.

TD2000
12-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Been watching since '92and my humble choices are:
1. 2000 Jared Kaspar, IMO, is the best at running the offense that I have seen. Not the total skill package of Rob Peters but, as a senior he rarely made a mistake. In the state championship against JT he played practically the perfect game. Jamel Branch played at UNT, the original MOO, Keith Mouton, and a typically stout defense. This offense was virtually unstoppable. The most team speed we had possessed up til that time.
2. 1997 Huge and very talented o-line. The BEST we've had. Heitmann, NFL player 2 other D! linemen, Michael De La Torre, IMO, the best tight end we've had, Rusty Bucy, the best LB we've had. Two good running backs in Bronston Carroll (Naval Acad.) and Ryan Green. Matt Gore an overachieving QB. Had they not fumbled away an early game to Langham Creek they might have made my #1.
3. 1994 Rob Peters and Bill Jatzlau. The romp over Judson at Texas' Memorial Stadium put us on the map. Defense couldn't figure out Plano's option and the wind played havoc with the passing game that cold and blustery day at Kyle Field.
4. 2003 I wasn't a believer until they won it all. The team with by far the most heart and the least ability overall. That last comment being said, Wil Thompson is probably the most talented overall player I've seen at Katy and James Aston is easily the most dominating running back. Aston didn't possess the speed of Branch or Keith Mouton, or the moves of Jatzlau (pretty fly for a white guy) but his combination of power, speed and agility puts him at the top of my class. Moo 2 had speed to burn. Ben Johnson, while not possessing the natural skills of Kaspar or Peters, is the only QB in 5A football to beat Southlake Carroll. What can I say, he was a winner.
5 2005 A different way to put points on the board, throw the ball all over the field. Since it was last year, no point in mentioning names. We all know who they were. The rumors or truth about Andy's broken hand was apparently a factor in the final two games. IMO as I've stated before on this site, the offensive scheme changed to very conservative in the SV and SLC games. It was almost as if we felt we had to play "normal" Katy football (dominate time of possession with the running game) in order to win. This team did not have that ability. Had Andy not suffered the injury I feel we could have given SLC a much more competitive game.
As for this years squard I'll reserve judgement until the final game. As with almost all previous teams, they get better each week. I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

I agree with this one. The 2000 team was the best one. Alot of weapons on offense with that huge o-line. The defense was simply awesome. This team had so much depth and they were GREAT on special teams. This was the best one in my humble opinion.

ftballin11
12-05-2006, 12:48 PM
1. 2000 team dominated every game and i dont belive even had a game in question, that O was just too good.

2. 98'- Im suprised many left them off, even though they were DQ, that defence was so dominating, and that was the ultomate pounding team with a thumper like Carrol, I think people would remeber them more if they won state

3. 03- I picked them for 3 because of how much they improved week to week, by the last game of the season aston couldnt be stopped, and say what you want about there D, but they held SLC to 1 big play and 1 good drive, other than that they were shut down. 98,97,00 none of them had even seen a team remotely as potent as carrols

4. 97.- overall most talented team, this team put katy on the map with big wins over a great IKE team and beat one of the top teams in the nation in Longview

5.04'- This team baffled me, I think key injuries of capt nathan cotton MLB, and our best DL kirchnir was just to much to overcome against an option team too bad, i really thought this team had the makeup to havdle SLC and go back to back, ASton and that O was the best running attack katy has ever had.