PDA

View Full Version : Nike Camp QB results at TCU

football fanatic
04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
According to Brian Stumpf of Studentsports.com, the number one quarterback at the Nike combine Friday and Saturday was Greg McElroy of Southlake Carroll. More then 80 qb's participated including Sherrod Harris and Taylor Potts. The rankings should appear on their website within a few days. From all the Nike camps accross the country they will select the Elite 11.

LoneStarProud
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
According to Brian Stumpf of Studentsports.com, the number one quarterback at the Nike combine Friday and Saturday was Greg McElroy of Southlake Carroll. More then 80 qb's participated including Sherrod Harris and Taylor Potts. The rankings should appear on their website within a few days. From all the Nike camps accross the country they will select the Elite 11.

:D :D :D
That's pretty cool. I think Greg is going to put up some big numbers.
Knowing the caliber of QB's at the camp I am sure Greg is honored
with the #1 pick. Also, I saw Potts last year but can't remember if
he is going to be a junior or senior this year. Somebody clue me in.

BornARebel
04-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Taylor will be a senior and has already committed to play college ball at Tech.

ktchamp97
04-24-2005, 03:14 PM
Christian Ponder of Colleyville Heritage also had a great workout. I've heard some reports that he was actually better than McElroy. Either way, I believe they were 1-2. Carroll is going to be sick...again.

football fanatic
04-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Christian Ponder of Colleyville Heritage also had a great workout. I've heard some reports that he was actually better than McElroy. Either way, I believe they were 1-2. Carroll is going to be sick...again.

I got the rankings from studentsports.com elite 11 message board. Brian Stumpf who runs the qb portion of the camp did the ranking.....

football fanatic
04-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Potts was ranked 5th and Harris from Arlington was 3rd.....Ponder ended up 4th...

ktchamp97
04-24-2005, 03:24 PM
Oh ok, thanks fanatic. I knew he was up there. I had read on another board that someone though Ponder was possibly ranked #1. Heck #4 is dang impressive too; especially among that company.

dragonsdaddy
04-24-2005, 05:07 PM
if any one ever doubted dodge's ability to coach qb's he must have been in austin for several years. he keeps creating(along with a modicum of work on the qb's part) some pretty fair triggermen. congrats to greg and all the rest.

drgnbkr
04-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Wow...that's um...hilarious...I think....you spun some sentances together on that one...have anything left?

LP-79
04-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I think SLC should be more worried about replacing Luna! With that offense a great QB is not going to carry you very far if He does not have at least a decent RB behind him.

RGVBadBoy
04-24-2005, 11:05 PM
I think SLC should be more worried about replacing Luna! With that offense a great QB is not going to carry you very far if He does not have at least a decent RB behind him.
Nate Newtons' boy should do jsut fine to fill Aarons' shoes, Newton is a bit faster but Luna ran with more authority from what i hear.....SLC shouldn't miss a step..

Chief Wahoo
04-25-2005, 06:40 AM
Nate Newtons' boy should do jsut fine to fill Aarons' shoes, Newton is a bit faster but Luna ran with more authority from what i hear.....SLC shouldn't miss a step..

I am sure this is true. What Luna was one of the best at though was blocking. Truly one of the reasons Chase was so successful was all the time he had back there. Yes he had a great O line. But Luna would catch the blitzing backer or safety almost every time and lay 'em out flat. Hard to replace that IMHO. :rolleyes:

Favpack
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
Time always tells - and Taylor Potts proved he needed only one year to excel at this level. McElroy looked awfully impressive throwing the ball in warm-ups - with no pads on and no one in his face ;) I think he'll put up some good numbers this year and should be a top 10 qb in Texas. I agree with the comments about Luna, however, his shoes are just as big to fill. It's been mentioned time and again - but Luna and Chase started and exceled as sophomores. McElroy has been stuck in clipboard mode for two years. And....Coach D has the enviable task of having a qb son in the wings - that is never an easy situation - though Ennis and others have proven it can be successful.

It's always scary to replace legends - but I think SLC's program will be just fine this year - they will be there in the end - but there is no way I'm believing they are as good as the '04 squad.

drgnbkr
04-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Your right Wahoo..at Booster Club meetings, with all of the success the offense had, Coach Dodge would praise Luna for pancakes or other un-noticed work he had done that was very important....that will be the big challenge for Carroll's new running back

ALLIN
04-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Good, i am glad that you and many others beleive that. Maybe it will relieve some of the pressure that SLC has been seeing for 2 years now. Only time will tell.

dragonsdaddy
04-25-2005, 08:20 AM
the good news is all slc rb's know from day one what their role is and can see it defined perfectly at any time by watching #7. a rb who believes he has a better idea and will only tote the hide, won't be out there long.

AG8411
04-25-2005, 10:42 AM
interesting that two of the top 10 come out of 17-5A in CFISD.

April 22, 2005
Ft. Worth EA SPORTS Elite 11 Workout Recap
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Stumpf
StudentSportsFootball.com Recruiting Analyst

The 2005 EA SPORTS Elite 11 Regional Workout tour continued Friday in Fort Worth, Texas, on the practice fields of the TCU Horned Frogs. Just under 80 of the region's top quarterback prospects turned out to show their stuff and learn from the best click here for a full recap!

Representatives from 12 states as far away as Pennsylvania, Georgia, New Jersey and California joined some of the Lone Star State's top signal callers for two hours of drill-work and route-throwing.

The workout featured a solid top group of 10-15 quarterbacks who all looked good at times in windy conditions and showed that the state of Texas is deep in Division I quarterback prospects for the Class of 2006.

Here's a look at some of the day's top performers:

Clark Harrell One of several rising senior signal callers at the workout that showed well despite limited field experience. The younger brother of former Ennis High record-setter and current Texas Tech redshirt-freshman QB Graham Harrell, Clark has been a bit snake-bitten so far in his high school career with injuries, but definitely has all the tools to be a Division I recruit. Already possesses a stronger arm than his brother Graham did at the same stage, just needs some game experience to improve his consistency and develop the "feel" for the touch throws that made his brother such a prolific performer at Ennis.

Sherrod Harris This 6-3, 207 pound signal caller came in as one of the more highly-recruited prospects in the state, already holding offers from Texas, Texas A&M and LSU, and did not disappoint, looking solid in drills. While many have the Arlington Bowie star tabbed as an "athlete" in college, Harris showed better than expected form and spun the ball consistently, especially when throwing routes with the receivers. A fantastic athlete, it will be interesting to see how Harris tests tomorrow at the NIKE Camp, but either way he lived up to some of the hype he has generated so far this spring.

Ross Jenkins Like Sherrod Harris, Jenkins is a good player that was stuck on a bad team last year at Houston (Texas) Langham Creek. A slender 6-3, 190 pounds, Jenkins has good mobility and was consistently on target while throwing routes. Look for Jenkins, with an improved supporting cast around him this fall, to put up some big numbers and get serious looks from a lot of Division I schools

Greg McElroy Along with Nick Stephens, McElroy was probably amongst the event's most consistent performers all afternoon long, which is remarkable considering both did not start a game last fall. The 6-3, 195 pound junior, who backed up EA SPORTS Elite 11 QB Chase Daniel last fall at mythical national champion Southlake (Texas) Carroll, McElroy showed great technique and very solid footwork and fundamentals. He was one of the more accurate passers as well and showed why, despite the lack of field experience, he's already collected offers from Kansas and UTEP, with more on the way in the future.

Christian Ponder Another solid performer, Ponder has above average athleticism and quick feet in the pocket. He also showed more arm strength in person than on film and had a nice touch down the field. With offers already in hand from Baylor, Georgia Tech and North Carolina, this 6-2, 185 pounder has some solid options and expect more offers to come his way in the near future.

Taylor Potts One of the first quarterbacks in the Class of 2006 to make a verbal commitment, Potts showed the big-time ability that enamored him to the Texas Tech Red Raiders and pass-happy coach Mike Leach. The Abilene (Texas) standout has a huge arm and great size at about 6-4, 200 pounds. Potts' release is a bit long, and once he cuts down on his windup a bit he should be the next in line of productive passers at Texas Tech.

Nick Stephens If there was one player that came out of nowhere at the event, it was Stephens, a strong-armed passer out of Flower Mound (Texas). While most of the participants struggled with consistency during the workout, Stephens spun the ball as well as anybody with plus arm strength. This workout should also be considered the 6-3, 190 pounder's coming out party, as Stephens was ruled ineligible last fall at Flower Mound after he transferred into the school. We'll have more on him tomorrow after the NIKE Camp, but he showed on Friday that he has Division I talent and will be one to follow in the fall.

J.P. Tillman This 6-4, 225 pounder was one of the more intriguing prospects of the day. Arriving late from Houston due to state-wide standardized testing throughout Texas high schools on Friday, Tillman entered the drills mid-camp but quickly showed some ability that should make himself a name before Signing Day in 2006. A recent transfer from Northland Christian to Cy Falls, Tillman has above average arm strength and spins the ball well, and is a good athlete for his size as well

Another very impressive performer was Texarkana (Texas) Texas High standout rising junior Ryan Mallett, who at 6-6, 235 pounds, towered over the older quarterbacks and showed the strongest arm of the day. If he continues to progress, it is very conceivable that Mallett could be considered the top quarterback prospect in the nation at this time next year.

The next EA SPORTS Elite 11 Quarterback Regional Workout is scheduled for Friday, May 6th, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Check back tomorrow for a recap of the NIKE Camp in Fort Worth.

AG8411
04-26-2005, 05:06 PM
tillman @ falls & jenkins @ L.C.

April 26, 2005
A passing trend
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Crabtree
Special to StudentSportsFootball.com

FT. WORTH, Texas Throwing the football in Texas is becoming a real catch. And judging by the amount of talent at the quarterback and receiver positions at Saturday's NIKE Training Camp on the campus of Texas Christian University, its not a passing trend that is about to be dropped any time soon.

Sherrod Harris showed why he's a pre-evaluation period Rivals100 member this past Saturday at the Ft. Worth NIKE Camp.
With a few of the biggest names in Texas at the quarterback spot not at the camp for various reasons it could be easy to think that the quarterback group was lacking in talent. Wrong. The quarterbacks at the camp ended up being one of the stronger positions of the camp, especially with the presence of Arlington (Texas) Bowie standout Sherrod Harris.

Harris came into the camp as one of the most-highly recruited players in the state and didn't disappoint all day like. He was in the 6-foot-3, 205-pound range and clocked a 4.65-second time in the 40-yard dash. Harris also didn't disappoint in the drills, as he spun the ball consistently and was right on the money working with the talented group of receivers.

"I'm always working hard to get better," Harris said. "Every quarterback out here at the camp was working hard, too, so it may just be hard to distinguish between all of us. I met a whole lot of quarterbacks about here and it just shows you how deep the states of Texas and Louisiana are this year."

The depth continued with guys like Greg McElroy of Southlake (Texas) Carroll and Christian Ponder of Colleyville (Texas) Heritage.

McElroy, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound junior that backed up Chase Daniel last fall and is getting the chance to shine this season, showed great technique, very solid footwork and finely tuned fundamentals. He was easily one of the more accurate passers at the camp, and despite the experience it's easy to see why teams like UTEP and Kansas have already stepped up to the play with offers.

Christian Ponder was one of the better quarterbacks at the camp.
Ponder had quick feet in the pocket and a displayed surprisingly strong arm. He made good reads in drills and was consistent in the one-on-one drills, working with a great group of receivers, which made it easy to play pitch and catch.

"It was really exciting to see Greg, Sherrod and the guys from Houston here," Ponder, who has offers from Baylor, North Carolina and Georgia Tech, said. "The camp was definitely a learning experience for all of us. I think we made ourselves better players, and the competition with each other pushed us to get better. We all wanted to be the best quarterback out here. That made us work even harder."

After surprising people at the E.A. Sports Elite 11 regional workouts on Friday, Nick Stephens of Flower Mound, Texas, did the same thing on Saturday. NIKE quarterback coach Bob Johnson said some players struggled with consistency during the weekend workouts, but he said that Stephens spun the ball as well as anybody with above average arm strength.

Consider the camp, Stephens' coming out party. He didn't play as a junior because he was rule ineligible after transferring into school there, so he will be new to the state recruiting scene and don't be surprised if a few teams jump into the mix early after the way he played over the weekend.

There were several other quarterbacks that impressed, including Clark Harrell of Ennis, Texas, J.P. Tillman of Cypress (Texas) Cy Falls, Ross Jenkins of Houston Langham Creek, Daniel Ramirez of Sinton, Texas, and Joe Mauro of Hurst (Texas) L.D. Bell.

Harrell, the younger brother of Texas Tech quarterback Graham Harrell, has an extremely strong arm, but because of injuries still is looking to make his mark for his program.

Tillman will get a chance this fall after playing TAPPS football to take over the reins at a major program in Houston. If he performs like he did this past weekend then he has a shot at being a solid Division I quarterback.

Jenkins showed great athletic ability by clocking a 4.0-second time in the shuttle, which was one of the top 10 times of the day. He looks like he has the goods to be a solid quarterback prospect and his athletic ability make him an intriguing prospect worthy of a look by major programs in the spring evaluation period.

sendero
04-26-2005, 07:07 PM
if any one ever doubted dodge's ability to coach qb's he must have been in austin for several years. he keeps creating(along with a modicum of work on the qb's part) some pretty fair triggermen. congrats to greg and all the rest.

I think another coach that has been very successful in getting QB's to college level is Coach Olin at Baytown Lee.

Jermaine Alfred- Baylor
Clint Stoerner- Arkansas
Elle Roberson III- Kansas State
Drew Tate- Iowa

These have all been starters. The last one is the projected starter at Utah next year.

Not bad!!!!