PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Lee Band and Southern Belles to Columbus for REL football game, donations?

supercentex
04-20-2005, 04:41 PM
They are going to have to raise a little under 100,000 dollars to get the band there and will have to raise the money by July so they can book travel plans.

If everyone state wide could send in some money to them it would help them out greatly.

As soon as I hear word on whether they are going to do it or not..........I'll be sending money if they do.

It would not be the same experience without the band there.

With the game being televised on ESPN nationally, it would speak volumes if this state supports the team like we normally do IN Texas. The marching bands and drill teams are part of the "texas high school experience"

This was from the fine arts director for Tyler ISD.

There will be a meeting Monday, April 25th at the REL Band
Hall with high school band, drill team, cheerleader directors,
principal, parents and concerned citizens about the feasibility of the
trip. We have sent out
questionnaires to students and parents with the following questions.

1. Would you consider assisting all groups in fundraising up to
$300.00 per student?
(It would all have to be complete by mid July to ensure reservations)

2. Would you consider chaperoning the trip if you had to pay your
way?
(Approx. $300.00)

3. Do you have access to any LARGE sponsors, corporate or private,
that would be willing to donate money for this trip? If so, please list
them below with an approximate amount that they might be willing to
donate.

Favpack
04-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Good luck with it - all we can do here in L-town is somehow raise enough money to put down turf at Abe and get a 60,000 square foot open-sided shell built to keep the band/drill team, etc. out of the rain in the fall. May be tough sledding for you outside of Tyler

supercentex
04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
There will be people around the state getting involved I think.

If Tyler ISD approves the trip on Monday, The show that they have each week on high school xtra will more than likely announce to people around the state to send donations.

We'll see how it goes.

I'm sure there are at least 100,000 fans in Texas that would at least send in a dollar.

PackAttack2005
04-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey, Tyler Lee made the decision to go to Ohio, they should have thought of that expense before they said "Yes". All of the other schools in Texas have their own prioroties to take care of right now, this is the very reason most Texas public schools don't go that far out of State to play games. The cost.

When Lee signed the contract with ESPN, they should have had that expense covered in the agreement before they signed.

Favpack, you bet we are putting in artificial grass and an indoor facility, all with sponsor money (Thank You Coca-Cola ) and interest free grant dollars. All without a single school tax dollar spent, it will be great for all the kids at Lufkin High and the community when finished.

As far as Tyler Lee goes, I guess all the booster clubs in Tyler better get busy.

cougardude
04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey, Tyler Lee made the decision to go to Ohio, they should have thought of that expense before they said "Yes". All of the other schools in Texas have their own prioroties to take care of right now, this is the very reason most Texas public schools don't go that far out of State to play games. The cost.

When Lee signed the contract with ESPN, they should have had that expense covered in the agreement before they signed.

Favpack, you bet we are putting in artificial grass and an indoor facility, all with sponsor money (Thank You Coca-Cola ) and interest free grant dollars. All without a single school tax dollar spent, it will be great for all the kids at Lufkin High and the community when finished.

As far as Tyler Lee goes, I guess all the booster clubs in Tyler better get busy.

;) ;) ;)

LPMOM
04-20-2005, 10:44 PM
packattack and favpack, where are your manners?
there would be a lot of fans (including lufkin) who would be willing to help. this is about TEXAS High School Football! a lot of tyler fans support lufkin in the play offs.
supercentex, when you know more info please post it.

DipnSpit
04-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't see it happening... A lot of programs have enough trouble raising money for their own team.

The problem with announcing it on HS Sports Xtra is that the majority of the viewers are not football fans this time of year.

Honestly, If you hadn't said anything about it and I saw this on HS Sports Xtra, I would laugh to myself... seriously... you have to think this type of thing out...

PackAttack2005
04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
LP Mom , please, lets be reasonable about this. They are asking for $100,000 to take the Tyler Lee band to Ohio to play at a football game.

ESPN ask them to do this, that expense should fall to Lee and ESPN.

Can you imagine asking the fans for $100,000 to get the Panther band to a football game in Ohio? We would get the same feed back as I have given to CenTex and Lufkin would be expected to pay the bill to make the trip. What happens next? Do we next take up a collection next because the Waco Lion band is invited to march in the 2005 Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade?

You see where this could all go?

supercentex
04-21-2005, 12:09 AM

One sole person is paying for the Tyler Lee football team to go to Ohio....not ESPN. If he had the money to get the band there they would already have the paid trip.

Like LPMOM said...this is about Texas high school football that will be in the national spotlight on ESPN.

That is what makes this state so great is that ALL Texans should and mostly do back each other up and help them out.

Are you from another state?

I have no affiliation with the school what-so-ever.....but, if they do plan to go...they will have a 300 dollar check from me to at least sponsor one kid.

Rerun
04-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Hmmm, well while we are just being so lovey dovey and donating money, how about this. Schertz Clemens would love to build a state of the art retractable roof stadium for Clemens and Steele HS to play in. The stadium will have a capacity of 90K. This is a great idea and if everyone in the state could please donate whatever they can, preferably 5K or more, that would be great. Thanks. :cool: :rolleyes:

supercentex
04-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Hmmm, well while we are just being so lovey dovey and donating money, how about this. Schertz Clemens would love to build a state of the art retractable roof stadium for Clemens and Steele HS to play in. The stadium will have a capacity of 90K. This is a great idea and if everyone in the state could please donate whatever they can, preferably 5K or more, that would be great. Thanks. :cool: :rolleyes:

Before that happens you got to get it approved. And, having heard about the Schertz tightwads.......doesn't look like it would ever happen even if the money was donated. :D

Rerun
04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
How do wealthy people stay wealthy?Dont spend their money on dumb things.----------I.E. Schertz, Texas

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Great, one person is paying for the Tyler Lee team to go to Ohio to play a game on ESPN. It is hard for me to beleive that ESPN is paying them nothing to play this game. Hey, if there is one person in Tyler that can pay for the team to go to Ohio, maybe there is one more that could foot the bill for the band.

I have a better idea, Tyler has a population of about 100,000 people, let them all give a dollar each and the band goes to Ohio.

Favpack
04-21-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm all for Lee flying to Ohio - and Lufkin has been a huge supporter of Tyler schools in the past and present. My point was simply that Lufkinites are a bit pre-occupied right now with getting turf and the sports shell built here. As we all know - there are locals everywhere that will oppose anything and everything - so it's quite a PR campaign here as we speak.

If the SCT's post generates a few dollars - good for REL - I'm sure hoping they go up there and take care of business on the field and with their excellent band and drill team.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 11:00 AM
FavPack, what world have you been in lately, I don't remember Lufkin being big supporters for Tyler athletics or band program. In fact it is just the opposite. The players from Lee and Lufkin have a deep dislike for each other in all sports, there is no love loss between these two schools.

I guarantee you deep down the Tyler and Longview schools don't give a flip about giving Lufkin support.

I hope all of Tyler gets to go to Ohio, but not at my expense.

Also Fav, were you for or against the projects going on in Lufkin, I think it's a great improvement for the kids at Lufkin and the community. I also don't think the people in Lufkin should be pre-occupied with the expense because it is not costing them anything.

Anyway, all of you knock yourself out and help those Tyler band kids get to Ohio. However, make sure when your team or band needs help in the future, get in touch with the Tyler Lee people first and see how quick they will help you to get where you need to go.

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Why don't ESPN be sponsors to get them there? :confused:

Favpack
04-21-2005, 07:32 PM
FavPack, what world have you been in lately, I don't remember Lufkin being big supporters for Tyler athletics or band program. In fact it is just the opposite. The players from Lee and Lufkin have a deep dislike for each other in all sports, there is no love loss between these two schools.

I guarantee you deep down the Tyler and Longview schools don't give a flip about giving Lufkin support.

I hope all of Tyler gets to go to Ohio, but not at my expense.

Also Fav, were you for or against the projects going on in Lufkin, I think it's a great improvement for the kids at Lufkin and the community. I also don't think the people in Lufkin should be pre-occupied with the expense because it is not costing them anything.

Anyway, all of you knock yourself out and help those Tyler band kids get to Ohio. However, make sure when your team or band needs help in the future, get in touch with the Tyler Lee people first and see how quick they will help you to get where you need to go.

PA - chill a bit - or leave me out of your tangle with REL.

I've gone on record in a variety of venues as being 100% behind this renovation of Abe (new turf)and sports facility. I'll also be 100% behind any and every improvement made to any Lufkin campus - including a new auditorium and gym center - hopefully very soon. I have multiple kids in LISD and will always be 100% behind any betterment.

On the REL support - I have to disagree with you 100%. Sure, we love to beat those folks at anything from speech to football to tiddliwinks - but I think the vast majority of Lufkinites support REL, Longview, JT, Marshall, etc. - maybe not monetarily - but certainly emotionally and in all around pulling for our neighbors.

I didn't speak to one single person here that was not pulling for REL to win state last year. I know for an absolute fact Coach O wanted to play Longview over Jesuit in the Regional semi's. He was pulling for the Lobos - sure, his motivation was a little biased - he wanted to go through Longview to win state - but I think most in ET stick up for each other.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 08:08 PM
FAV, I am chilled as you can get about this. I don't care if everyone in the State wants to contribute to the TL band trip to Ohio, I just won't be part of it.

As far as the TL and Longview are concerned, I wish them the best, but I am not as supportive of them as some Lufkin people seem to be. I have experienced too many negatives from that side to feel any differently about them.

I am gald to hear that you are supportive of all the present and future improvements at Lufkin High. The new field, replay scoreboard, indoor practice facilty, along with other improvements will be some fantastic additions for the Lufkin community to see this fall.

Good luck, see you at some games. :o

LPMOM
04-21-2005, 08:51 PM
o.k. lets look at this way. there are people all over the state that are willing to help out and have the $ to do so. i can't sponser a kid but i can send about 20$. if tyler lee doesn't let it be known that they need help then thay can't get it. the part about the manners simply meant that this wasn't the thread to talk noise. if you don't agree then just don't say anything. there will always be thread to talk smack on. i LOVE those threads, because i can talk noise with the best of them! what if this was lufkin going to california to play del la salle? BUT we needed help? i love it when a texas team gets a chance to show we are the best in high school football!!!

Rerun
04-21-2005, 08:58 PM
I think its a waste of time and money to be going out of state to play. I mean, for what? Ok, so then the nation will know that Texas is #1 in high school football.Then what? Its a huge waste of cash. I love high school football and hs sports in general, but be realistic. Someones gotta come up with 100K just for band, not the actual football team, but the band. An accessory . This is getting out of hand. Everyone needs to get real and come back down to Earth. 100K for a freaking band for a high school football game. Get real.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
LP MOM, I can only respond to a post if I agree with everything about it ? There is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion about this request.

My point is, if you want to help this cause, get after it. Just remember if you support this endeavor, don't be surprised when others start asking for help when they want to take an out of state trip. What if Harker Heights gets an invite to play in the Disney World Football Classic in Orlando next year, do you think you could get $100,000 in support from the fans around the State to take your band?

I am not being disrepectful of Lee, if they can raise the money to go to Ohio, more power to them. There is more to this story than we know, Cen-Tex has thrown out the $100,000 figure, we need to let the Tyler ISD handle this entire situation. As far as I can tell they have not ask us for any help.

wide-e-wide
04-21-2005, 09:54 PM
I agree with TexasHeadliner.
This is getting crazy. Why in the world
is an east Texas HS team playing in Ohio.
I think the country already has a pretty good
idea of the type of football we play here.
And what if Lee goes all the way to Ohio and
lays an egg. What did that say about Texas HS
football? It is just too much. You are talking major
money that could be going to other causes. People are
wanting to raise 100k for a football game...what about
schools within the district that don't have adequate books
or computers or anything.

In my opinion this whole traveling out of the state thing
is dumb.

supercentex
04-21-2005, 09:59 PM
There must be some sort of interest since ESPN is airing the game.

Also, there are several other schools like Midland Lee, Gainesville, and a few others that are playing out of state games.

There is going to be alot of these crazy out of state match-ups in the future.

More than likely all of these games are going to be broadcasted on ESPNU.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Then let ESPN finance the games for these schools. These are public schools, if ESPN wants these games to happen, they can roll our the $$$$$$$$$$$$$, because they have the big bucks to spend, much more that the average Texas high school or booster club can generate.

supercentex
04-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, don't worry about it.

I'll be sending in my money along with alot of people state wide.

Rerun
04-21-2005, 10:18 PM
If ESPN wants the teams to play, then have them pay the cash. I dont care what anyone tries to tell me about how its all about the kids getting to experience it and all that crap. I NEVER played on ESPN or played a team out of state and I am just fine. If ESPN wants to have the team/band/etc go out of state, then let them pay for it, otherwise, deal without your band or just dont go at all. Lets get real. So we got people that are willing to pay 300 a kid to go for one night to a football game out of state when that 300 bucks could be used to help a church or cancer foundation or something that truly has meaning, something that can really help out society, not just the oh so grand image of Texas HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL. With teams going out of state to play games and being on ESPN and national TV, we are only encouraging the kids to spend more time concentrating on athletics and less on school. And when you do that, it opens a whole new can of worms. I can rant and rave all day about this, but to me, I dont need to see Clemens, SLC, Katy or any other teams I like on national tv to resopect them and I sure as hell think its pathetic that we are even mentioning that 100K Be raised to travel for a HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAME. Its high school, key word, school. Go to school to learn and get good grades, go to college and begin to live a respectable life. With this kind of metality that sports is the only thing that matters, we get kids who blow off school(high school and college) and try to make it big in the sports world.And when their knee or back goes out or they get cut and realize they wont make it, then they will be either working at McDonalds or sitting at home collecting welfare checks from you-the same people that think encouraging people to donate 300 bucks is a good idea. Get real, this is high school.

wide-e-wide
04-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Preach it brother...preach it.
I like the idea of Texas HS football being
a mystery to the rest of the country.
When I was in the military people outside
of Texas talked about it like we were some
kind of mythical creatures. Super-stadiums and
super fans and huge players and tradition.They had
only heard stories (never experienced it) and were
amazed by our brand of football...
I like it that way. We have nothing to prove...
Our reputation says enough....
It is a trend ...and like anything else trendy or
faddish...I hate it.
Years down the road these schools will look back and
realize these unnecessary trips were foolish.
Keep Texas HS football where it belongs. In Texas.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Cen-Tex, I wont worry, but I except your donation to be the leader of the pack. To be a good leader, you must be a good example to those you have exhorted to send money. I expect you to send the first $1000.00 to those poor band people in Tyler so they can get to Ohio or bust.
Since you started this thing, I expect you to be the best example and start that ball rolling for the cause. It's only right that you do this. ;)

TL band to Ohio or bust!!

supercentex
04-21-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm sponsoring one kid for 300 bucks. And, we will be going to both the Texas and Tyler Lee games.

The Tyler Lee band will more than likely be going to the game in Ohio. Whether those that don't like it or not to send money.

But, those that do want to help out the kids get there.........then, the info will be posted on where to send the money next week.

PackAttack2005
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Bravo Cen-Tex ! ;)

panthermaniac
04-22-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm not sending them any money. I'm still mad they dumped us to go play a lessor team!

DipnSpit
04-22-2005, 12:32 AM
And... say.. next season when.. Katy schedules a Florida team and needs $100,000 to send their band.... how fast is Tyler going to open there wallets?

supercentex
04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
And... say.. next season when.. Katy schedules a Florida team and needs $100,000 to send their band.... how fast is Tyler going to open there wallets?

I think anyone state-wide would help contribute to any school for that sort of cause.

Rerun
04-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I think anyone state-wide would help contribute to any school for that sort of cause.

And thats sad that they would contribute to a meaningless high school football game when that money could be put towards other good causes.

supercentex
04-22-2005, 12:52 AM
And thats sad that they would contribute to a meaningless high school football game when that money could be put towards other good causes.

Well, that is their choice. Not yours.

Rerun
04-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Yea, your right. It just goes to show where peoples priorities are. A lot of people need to get their priorities strait.

LPMOM
04-22-2005, 01:21 AM
1)first of all, harker heights is not my school. killeen high and lufkin are. my oldest 3 went to lufkin (one graduates this year) and i have one in killen high (and one on the way to killeen) where i went to school at.

2) bands paying their own way are a fact of life. if they go to any of the parades (ex. rose bowl) they have to pay their own way. when i was in band we got invited to colorado for a marching competition and we had to raise money. any time you travel it is a life experiance. my family has traveled a lot and i can see the difference it made in my childrens lives.

3)what you do for others will always come back to you!!!
positive or negative. life is choice driven, so always choice positive.

Jtate862003
04-22-2005, 01:57 AM
i'll send some money and if a round trip ticket isnt much i would LOVE to go.............BUt as Fav Pack said......when lee and LP play i dont go for lufkin....but when it comes to playoff time im all for the east texas schoools and i go to lufkin games when lee is out of it....and im sure alot of lufkin fans go to lee games when lp is out of it......same goes for longview.......the east texas schools stick together! But also as Fav Pack and Cen Tex said this is not a school thing this is a state thing....and im sure if other schools in the future years ask for donations from the state the state people would be glad to give jsut like they will this yr.........so just support your state..........just think of it this way...if it were your school you attend or your alma mater school that is asking for donations wouldnt you want all of us to send money...>EXACTLY!

Rerun
04-22-2005, 02:06 AM
No dude, because where I grew up and went to school,we didnt waste our time and spend money on meaningless things such as an out of state trip to get national exposure. We got the bigger picture and if we were to ever go on that, we would think before we act and make sure that everyone could pay their own way before we comitt to going.

Favpack
04-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I think its a waste of time and money to be going out of state to play. I mean, for what? Ok, so then the nation will know that Texas is #1 in high school football.Then what? Its a huge waste of cash. I love high school football and hs sports in general, but be realistic. Someones gotta come up with 100K just for band, not the actual football team, but the band. An accessory . This is getting out of hand. Everyone needs to get real and come back down to Earth. 100K for a freaking band for a high school football game. Get real.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you - while I will love the pub. it brings - the cost of this game and the toll on the kids will be huge. It really makes little sense. Two of the biggest powerhouses in the nation are Jenks and Union high schools in Tulsa. Those are both reasonable drives - particularly for a team like SLC - that makes sense to me. Going to Ohio makes no sense to me at all. Neither does a Florida school coming here. Not to mention you've got time changes involved - it ain't as easy as it looks on TV.

PackAttack2005
04-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Fav, we agree on another point. Too much good talent in closer proximity to Texas. :cool:

R E Lee
04-22-2005, 10:28 AM
And my parents told me not to go to Mardi Gras because I would be tired and it would be a waste of money. Those that think it would be fun for the kids and good for the state should give, those that only expect something in return should not.

And many Lee fans did support Lufkin on their state run, in fact, I paid an admission ticket for the state game, and I think I even bought some concessions.

owlfan 1
04-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Are there more worthy things to spend my money on? Of course! I could donate to cancer research or to a food bank or any one of a million worthy causes. However, every day I choose to spend money of frivolous things like DVD box sets, video games, expensive meals, and other things. I could certainly choose to spend THAT money on better causes, too.

High School football is certainly not life or death, but it is a blessed distraction for many of us - something that we can get passionate about, then put away to get on with our business, then pick up agian later. This game in Ohio is a special occasion; two powerhouse teams from different regions of the country. A lot of people will watch it with interest. Is it necessary? No, it isn't. Will the outcome change anything? No. If Lee wins, Texas HS fans will feel vindicated about the quality of our football; if Lee loses, we will all say it is because Lee is down a little from last year, that the travel affected them, and a million other things. And we will all still believe that our football is better than Ohio's.

Texasheadliner, I respect you greatly. However, I feel that you are making this into a moral question - should we support something frivolous when we could be supporting things of great import? To me, this is simply a matter of taking money I might otherwise spend on something like a meal at Don Pablos and instead sending it to help a trombone player make a trip. Who knows - maybe going on that trip will be a once in a lifetime experience for that trombone, clarinet or mellophone player. Maybe not.

I guess all I want is to enjoy the fact that, while I am watching the game (on tape, most likely, since I'll be at my own team's game while this one is on TV) I can hear the Tyler Lee fight song in the background and enjoy cutaway shots of the band and drill team during game breaks.

I hope the band gets to go. And I'm willing to sacrifice a plate of fajitas for that. Is that a bad thing?

supercentex
04-22-2005, 11:08 AM
And my parents told me not to go to Mardi Gras because I would be tired and it would be a waste of money. Those that think it would be fun for the kids and good for the state should give, those that only expect something in return should not.

And many Lee fans did support Lufkin on their state run, in fact, I paid an admission ticket for the state game, and I think I even bought some concessions.

I think anyone like most true fans will support other teams besides their own. I've been to several other games like Katy, Lufkin, Southlake, Bryan, A&M Consolidated, Tyler Lee, etc. just to support Texas high school football in general.

supercentex
04-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Are there more worthy things to spend my money on? Of course! I could donate to cancer research or to a food bank or any one of a million worthy causes. However, every day I choose to spend money of frivolous things like DVD box sets, video games, expensive meals, and other things. I could certainly choose to spend THAT money on better causes, too.

High School football is certainly not life or death, but it is a blessed distraction for many of us - something that we can get passionate about, then put away to get on with our business, then pick up agian later. This game in Ohio is a special occasion; two powerhouse teams from different regions of the country. A lot of people will watch it with interest. Is it necessary? No, it isn't. Will the outcome change anything? No. If Lee wins, Texas HS fans will feel vindicated about the quality of our football; if Lee loses, we will all say it is because Lee is down a little from last year, that the travel affected them, and a million other things. And we will all still believe that our football is better than Ohio's.

Texasheadliner, I respect you greatly. However, I feel that you are making this into a moral question - should we support something frivolous when we could be supporting things of great import? To me, this is simply a matter of taking money I might otherwise spend on something like a meal at Don Pablos and instead sending it to help a trombone player make a trip. Who knows - maybe going on that trip will be a once in a lifetime experience for that trombone, clarinet or mellophone player. Maybe not.

I guess all I want is to enjoy the fact that, while I am watching the game (on tape, most likely, since I'll be at my own team's game while this one is on TV) I can hear the Tyler Lee fight song in the background and enjoy cutaway shots of the band and drill team during game breaks.

I hope the band gets to go. And I'm willing to sacrifice a plate of fajitas for that. Is that a bad thing?

Thanks Owl-Fan..that was a great post. Be sure to email me if you want to contribute. I'm getting a list of donations together for their meeting on Monday. You have until July to send the money.

wide-e-wide
04-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey, I'm planning a trip to Vegas. I have the money to cover
my own expenses....However, I need donations in order to
pay for child care while I am gone. I know it is a pointless trip,
and will probably accomplish nothing, but I need to do it.
I need to show those people how us Texas boys party.
I am originally from Lufkin, so I am sure all of the East Texas folks will
help me out... since we all support each other and stick together.
Thanks everybody and viva Las Vegas!

supercentex
04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey, I'm planning a trip to Vegas. I have the money to cover
my own expenses....However, I need donations in order to
pay for child care while I am gone. I know it is a pointless trip,
and will probably accomplish nothing, but I need to do it.
I need to show those people how us Texas boys party.
I am originally from Lufkin, so I am sure all of the East Texas folks will
help me out... since we all support each other and stick together.
Thanks everybody and viva Las Vegas!

Funny, but how does your situation effect the Tyler Lee band going to Ohio? :D

PackAttack2005
04-22-2005, 12:00 PM
This is what makes life great, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and they can spend their money any way they want.

To sacrifice a plate of fajitas for the cause, is a noble jesture. I just can't justify this cause for myself because I know kids right here in my hometown that really need the fajitas to eat, it is not just about the money.

My money stays here to help the kids with the essintial needs of life. Paying $300.00 to get a kid to one football game in Ohio is just not practical for me. That $300.00 could go a long way to help some of these kids here trying to go to school, play ball, work a job and help raise their brother and sisters.

Good luck with raising the money they need. I know I don't agree with the cause, basically because I feel the Tyler Lee students are more financially capable of getting that kind of money together than most sudent groups.

The kids who attend schools like Tyler Lee, Southlake, Austiin Westlake and Colleyville Heritage don't have to deal with the economial disadvantages as the kids at a Dallas Carter, Waco, Longview or even Lufkin.

I will bet the people in the Tyler Lee area find the money they need easily in their own backyard.

As, I said earlier, good luck raising the money and I hope the TL band has a great time when they go, because someone somewhere will have made a financial sacrifice for them to make that trip to the great state of Ohio. ;)

LPMOM
04-22-2005, 01:55 PM
awsome post!!!

panthermaniac
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Here in Lufkin we have a very active band booster organization. Surely, Tyler lee has one as well. They are the ones who need to be figuring out how to send these kids to Ohio if they want them to go. There is enough money in Tyler to pay for this if the community is interested. If they are not interested, that is too bad, but not a situation that merits a state-wide solicitation effort, imo.

Chief Wahoo
04-22-2005, 09:03 PM
I am a band dad- my senior french horn player is graduating this year. I have always been (and always will be) a BIG supporter of the high school band. For those that don't know, during marching season, those kids work as hard (some say harder) than the athletic teams do. Our band has been blessed to take some awesome band trips in the past few years: Ireland, NY city, Walt Disney World, etc. (I loved that one). The kids are given ample opportunities to raise the money through various fundraisers that they begin several months ahead of the trip. These trips offer many memories for these kids.

That being said, I have to agree that attempting to send your HS band for an out of state football game seems a little frivolous to me. If this could be done without having to ask the general public to send in money to help a high school band that most have NO ties to, then go for it! And remember, I am a HUGE band fan! Nope. This one makes no sense. Either the Tyler ISD helps them out or the band has one busy summer with fundraisers or they DON'T GO. Life will go on. Lee will probably kick tail without the band there. Have them play your fight song over the loud speakers each time you score which I hope is often! :cool: Good luck either way.

P.S. Can you believe we have a three page thread about a HS band? Smells like off season to me.... :rolleyes:

supercentex
04-22-2005, 10:16 PM
400 dollars today for them....not bad for a day.

Knowing the Tyler people they can raise the money themselves...but a few dollars from outside sources can help them.

For me personally to see the marching band, cheerleaders, and drill team in an out of state high school game in Ohio would speak volumes as to how much we support out football and all other activities. ON NATIONAL TELEVISION

What other state would support something like that? None

If you want to help, fine. If not, then go about your normal business.

No one is forcing you to send money.

relraiderfan
04-23-2005, 12:08 PM
First of all, great post owlfan. Secondly, as far as I know, the company that wanted to put this game together is the one paying for the football team. i am sure that Tyler Lee and the band, drill team and cheerleaders are doing everything they can to gather money for them to go to the game as well. One of those things would be asking people to donate if they would like. No one has to, and no one is forcing you too. If you don't donate they will probably do their best to find other means, so don't worry about it and don't bash those that want to help. Finally, this is a meaningless game for a lot of you unless it was your school. Tyler Lee did not go out and look for this game. The people from Ohio came to them. This is a once in a lifetime chance for many kids and I wish them the best of luck as they prepare to go.

Texasfrog
04-23-2005, 01:32 PM
I plan on donating some money. It may only be $20 bucks but I'll donate some. I think its great that the band and pep squads/cheerleaders get a chance to go to Ohio and enjoy the event and support their Hometown team.

Even if its only the Seniors/Junior band members and cheerleaders. Some of these kids may never get a chance to travel like this ever again. To me it would be worth it to help some Tyler Lee kid get a chance to go to Ohio and help led his team by being a FAN.

I was in West Monroe in 2000 when Midland Lee traveled 17 hour by bus to play West Monroe. It was really sad because only about 500 Midland Lee fans were there and they stuck them in the far corner of the stands. Midland Lee didnt have any band members are anything. In fact I think there was just a handful of cheerleaders.

I think the lack of fan support and school support really played a factor to why Midland Lee got beat.

It was like the bloody meat in a dang Lion cage. You had 15,000 West Monroe fans, 100 suited-up West Monroe football players, 200 West Monroe band members, 50 West Monroe cheerleaders and ect. Midland Lee had about 50 players and 10 coaches up against all that. "IN FACT I KNOW IT PLAYED A DIFFERENCE IN THE GAME."

So, I would love to see 20 Tyler Lee Cheerleaders and at least 100 Tyler Lee Band Members travel to that game. Along with about 2,000 Tyler Lee fans.

LPMOM
04-23-2005, 03:29 PM
guess where the money made from fund raisers comes from?
" the general public! " i'm sure the students are doing their part to help.
one more question. why is it o.k. for your " band " to travel all over the world, but when another band wants to take a trip it is considered frivolous?

Chief Wahoo
04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
why is it o.k. for your " band " to travel all over the world, but when another band wants to take a trip it is considered frivolous?

Because those were planned band trips they take each year-planned well in advance. They were NOT to a football game. And a meaningless regular season one at that. BTW, many of the kids parents end up paying about half the cost of these trips from their own pockets. :eek:

LPMOM
04-23-2005, 11:09 PM
wait untill i hear all the excuses you come up with for why your team didn't win :eek: . since your so good at them. please be nice and forgive tyler lee for not "planning" this trip.
p.s. i'm sure their parents are paying as much as they can.

Chief Wahoo
04-24-2005, 09:23 AM
wait untill i hear all the excuses you come up with for why your team didn't win :eek: . since your so good at them. please be nice and forgive tyler lee for not "planning" this trip.
p.s. i'm sure their parents are paying as much as they can.

Makes about us much sense as the rest of your posts. Good luck to ya' LP mom and your band. If that game is sooo important to you, good luck.:rolleyes:. I have enough respect for HS bands and their parents that I would never bear any ill will towards them.

NewSherriffInTown
04-24-2005, 11:36 AM
What's the big deal with sending these kids some money? HS football is supposed to be soooo important down here, wouldn't you want to protect that national repuation by being able to send a team, its band, and a few thousand fans across multiple states???

wide-e-wide
04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Uhhh no...what does the state of Texas have to prove.
If this reputation is like you say it is...wouldn't it make sense
that these schools should come to Texas and play?
Why do the Texas teams automatically have to be the ones to travel?

owlfan 1
04-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Other than Carter and Lamar in the 90's and the occasional trip to Oklahoma or Louisiana, I don't think too many Texas teams have ever ventured out of state to play. This year a team from California is coming to play Midland Lee, and a team from Florida is playing Tyler Lee...

Is it the fact that people outside of Tyler are being asked to help that is upsetting everyone? I just don't get the frustration about this. Its not like we have to choose either curing cancer or sending this band to Ohio. If you don't care to donate, don't. No one thinks any less of you...

stevefoxsc
04-24-2005, 01:08 PM
dont the students typically have to raise the money for them selfs individually thats what they made us do when the temple high band went to disney world in orlando we had to raise about 500 or 400 but of there is a pay pal method i'll give what i can

GarlandOwl06
04-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Put my name on the list, I'll donate some money.

supercentex
04-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Yes, there will be a paypal set up.

Please email supercentex@hotmail.com and give estimated amount and name, address, phone number. Thanks

Email ASAP because they are having the meeting on Monday.

If anyone wants to donate you do not have to pay right now....they need to have the money before July to set up reservations.

So, you can put your name on the list with an amount....and just send the money later.

NewSherriffInTown
04-24-2005, 05:03 PM

first of all, Texans are the ones who believe they own high school football and that their top 15 teams would compete with or beat the best team from every other state in the union. So that's where that comes from.

Second of all, Texas HS's are playing in 9 out of state games this year. 5 of those are in Texas. I bet the roadgames are all wiithin driving distance for the Texas teams except for the Ohio game, but that same Tyler Lee team has a team from Florida coming in to play them.

wide-e-wide
04-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I think the whole thing is dumb. There is enough competition within
the state. I support Texas HS football 100%. I am a huge fan. But
teams going out of the state to play means nothing to me. It is just
unnecessary. Waste of time and money if you ask me...How many years did Texas teams play ONLY other Texas teams? We did just fine for a long time...

pack68
04-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Just read on Smoak's web site that Lufkin's band is going to New York City on Tuesday and return on saturday. They raised their money by having different raffles, concession sales and the work of the Band Boosters.

Rerun
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Yea, for all of us who are against them going out of state, lets not waste our time trying to explain how ridiculous this crap is.The people that want this are the same people that have a ruined week if the high school football team that they support loses.They rant and rave and pull a Tim McGraw like in Friday Night Lights.Its a waste of time trying to convence people that it is not ok to donate to a useless cause like this when there are way bigger fish to fry in real life(Stuff that actually matters in the long run).Oh well.

PackAttack2005
04-25-2005, 08:57 AM
The UIL is always interested where booster clubs get their money to fund extra curricular activities. Do this thing right to protect the kids and school.

RedRage00
04-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok, my summer tuition is due by May 31, 2005 for the amount of $1,830

Please PM me for information on how you can donate to this worthy cause :D :p

RR

PS: include extra for books! I need 2!

Mr. Buddy Garrity
04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Ok, my summer tuition is due by May 31, 2005 for the amount of $1,830

Please PM me for information on how you can donate to this worthy cause :D :p

RR

PS: include extra for books! I need 2!LMAO! That's funny. :D

RedRage00
04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Ok, I have no PMs yet.......$1830 isn't gonna raise itself! ;)

I can't afford a booster club lol

RR

supercentex
04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Band, Drill Team, and Cheerleaders are not going.....

Rerun
04-26-2005, 12:26 AM
Really? When did this happen?

DipnSpit
04-26-2005, 09:22 AM

and why did this happen?

RedRage00
04-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, as long as they win thats all that matters :)

RR

CoppellCowboy57
04-26-2005, 01:22 PM

Isnt Ohio coming here?

supercentex
04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
It happened because they voted on it yesterday......they could get the money....but, later on when they would need money from sponsors...they money would not be there.

So much for that Texas "state pride"

LPMOM
04-27-2005, 12:17 AM
sorry to hear this.

Rerun
04-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Wonderful news, finally, WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD.