PDA

View Full Version : Curious about opnions of SLC versus "X" at this point

Phoenixrising05
11-14-2006, 07:20 PM
For the "real" football fans, not absolute homers, not 10 year old trash-talkers, but those of you who have seen these teams or know what you're talking about...what are your thoughts on SLC vs the following opponents?

(Obviously I'm assuming SLC and the teams get this far...and being that i'm not a player or coach, I'm allowed...so don't post some crap about "you're so arrogant looking ahead", blah blah blah)

SLC vs ET
SLC vs LP
SLC vs NS

IMHO I think SLC matches up very favorably versus ET and NS, with the latter being the worst of the 4 teams...I just don't think they have the offense to hang with any of the other 3. Lufkin on the other hand worries me...there are VERY few games in the last 5 seasons that I thought were truly "up in the air" and could go either way...this year's Lufkin game is one of them. If I were a betting man...I simply wouldn't bet on that game lol

zippy
11-14-2006, 07:24 PM
For the "real" football fans, not absolute homers, not 10 year old trash-talkers, but those of you who have seen these teams or know what you're talking about...what are your thoughts on SLC vs the following opponents?

(Obviously I'm assuming SLC and the teams get this far...and being that i'm not a player or coach, I'm allowed...so don't post some crap about "you're so arrogant looking ahead", blah blah blah)

SLC vs ET
SLC vs LP
SLC vs NS

IMHO I think SLC matches up very favorably versus ET and NS, with the latter being the worst of the 4 teams...I just don't think they have the offense to hang with any of the other 3. Lufkin on the other hand worries me...there are VERY few games in the last 5 seasons that I thought were truly "up in the air" and could go either way...this year's Lufkin game is one of them. If I were a betting man...I simply wouldn't bet on that game lol

With all due respect, SLC has yet to face a team capable of what these 3 teams can do. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think SLC can beat all 3. However, I think all 3 could beat SLC. Just taking a guess, I say they get past ET, and if they are going to lose, it will be against Lufkin or NS. Its just hard to tell right now, because Dodge (QB) has not really faced a team that can be compared to these. Its going to be different. These teams should have the speed to match SLC. Honestly, its up in the air right now.

Phoenixrising05
11-14-2006, 07:28 PM
With all due respect, SLC has yet to face a team capable of what these 3 teams can do. Its hard to tell for sure, but I think SLC can beat all 3. However, I think all 3 could beat SLC. Just taking a guess, I say they get past ET, and if they are going to lose, it will be against Lufkin or NS. Its just hard to tell right now, because Dodge (QB) has not really faced a team that can be compared to these. Its going to be different. These teams should have the speed to match SLC. Honestly, its up in the air right now.

I agree completely...Grapevine and Northwest exposed the kinks in SLC's offensive line, getting consistent penetration and putting pressure on Dodge...against those two teams Dodge was able to scramble outside and turn sacks into positive yardage...but the Ds on the above 3 teams won't be so generous

farmerfan
11-14-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree completely...Grapevine and Northwest exposed the kinks in SLC's offensive line, getting consistent penetration and putting pressure on Dodge...against those two teams Dodge was able to scramble outside and turn sacks into positive yardage...but the Ds on the above 3 teams won't be so generous

If thats the case then Trinity will be able to exploit that with their defense. They have some very good defensive tackles and their linebackers fly to the football.
With the reputation of North Shore and Lufkin both you know they will be able to expliot that too.
However with the reputation of success come playoff time that Carroll has, I'm sure that the Carroll O-Line will take all steps neccessary to correct this flaw.

Phoenixrising05
11-14-2006, 07:33 PM
also my perception could have been off, as it APPEARED in the grapevine game that Coach Dodge was experimenting with several offensive plays that lend themselves to a "breakdown" of the OL: QB draw, option play from Dodge to Newton, etc..so maybe the OL isn't as bad as they looked...that is the only game i have seen this year in person, the rest I listened to on the radio

dragonsdaddy
11-14-2006, 07:35 PM
If thats the case then Trinity will be able to exploit that with their defense. They have some very good defensive tackles and their linebackers fly to the football.
With the reputation of North Shore and Lufkin both you know they will be able to expliot that too.
However with the reputation of success come playoff time that Carroll has, I'm sure that the Carroll O-Line will take all steps neccessary to correct this flaw.
and since it takes defense to win championships, i think it is likely that the slc d will have to step up, which they have shown a strong propensity to do this year.

farmerfan
11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
also my perception could have been off, as it APPEARED in the grapevine game that Coach Dodge was experimenting with several offensive plays that lend themselves to a "breakdown" of the OL: QB draw, option play from Dodge to Newton, etc..so maybe the OL isn't as bad as they looked...that is the only game i have seen this year in person, the rest I listened to on the radio

I have no doubt that the Carroll o-line play will be supurb again. I think that has been the most over looked unit on this team the last few years. I thoughttheir O line play a year ago was every bit as good as Trinity's and in my mind has been some of the best in the entire country. They are well coached and very physical and hardly ever make any mistakes.

farmerfan
11-14-2006, 07:37 PM
and since it takes defense to win championships, i think it is likely that the slc d will have to step up, which they have shown a strong propensity to do this year.

its been a trademark for them the last few years its just always seems to never be given the proper credit.

insider
11-14-2006, 07:38 PM
I agree, somewhat, with zippy.

SLC has not been pressured this year - and there have been games where they have not looked real sharp. This would suggest that there could be a real issue when they meet a top caliber team that puts on the pressure.

They have also not really played a full game at full throttle - so there is a question (in my mind, at least) whether they are up to a heavy third or fourth quarter with a close game situation.

In the past - they have been able to take these challenges and play a full game. This has yet to be shown this year.

As far as the upcoming games:

SLC vs ET - this will probably be their first full game challenge from a team that will be looking to wear them down. It will come down to whether the SLC D-line can keep ET from playing their game, for the full game. If they can - they will build up a lead and then need to defend it in second half when the D-line either tires or the 2nd team gives a little more. This will be the real signal to the rest of the state as to whether SLC is ready to defend or not.

SLC vs LP - so much history, so much to prove. If ET exposes weaknesses or depth issues - LP will be looking to press it even further than ET could. Both teams can score and both look to steal the will of their opponent - so this will be a true treat to the Texas HS FB watcher. The winner of this will be the predominant favorite for the finals.

NSStangs#1fan
11-14-2006, 08:39 PM
SLC vs. NS- As far as our D goes they're pretty solid, but they have yet to be tested on the pass. We'll c how that turns out against Lee and possibly Dulles. Our O is pretty good but not where they need to be 2 compete w/ teams like SLC. I know that they too have not been playing full throttle esp. 4 these district games. We'll get 2 c what they're really made of in these nest few weeks... or week:eek: . My pick would be SLC but I have a feeling the score would be low. Something like 28-10.

plainsman1
11-14-2006, 09:12 PM
In '03 SLC scored with two minutes to go to beat Monterey 42-35. This after Monterey spotted them a 17-0 lead. If both teams are still around for game four, SLC better not be looking forward to playing Lufkin in game five - assuming they're still around.

This year's Plainsmen team is close to being as good as that year's team. I'm not sure SLC's is.

insider
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
In '03 SLC scored with two minutes to go to beat Monterey 42-35. This after Monterey spotted them a 17-0 lead. If both teams are still around for game four, SLC better not be looking forward to playing Lufkin in game five - assuming they're still around.

This year's Plainsmen team is close to being as good as that year's team. I'm not sure SLC's is.

From what I've seen (we're next door) the SLC D is probably more dominant than the previous year's. Their DefCoach (Mendoza?) really has them playing in top form. Unfortunately, they have not been truly challenged in district or pre-district. This has plus and minus consequences - plus side - the second teamers have had good and credible play time and are known quantity to the coaching staff who will know who they can put in - on minus side - have not had to play tough for a full game with the top players (but see plus side which will mitigate any problems found).

The Offense is 'different' than past year's. SLC strengths over time have shifted - so it will not be the same game. SLC game plan is more flexible this year, but arguably they may not be as crisp. The flexibility does buy them some respect as they do take advantage of the gaps in the defense and this tends to cause the defense to be more cautious which tends to offset the impacts from the lower crispness.

Me thinks that SLC will not worry about game 5 until after game 4 done. And if you and they are around for game 4 - know for a fact that they will be not be looking ahead but will focus on you and yours.

plainsman1
11-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Plainsmen added a new DC/Associate HC this year - Kelvin Ratliff. If the name sounds familiar, it's because he was the DC for Midland Lee during their three championship runs. Finally, they have a D to go with Morton's deadly option.

Long way to go though. :-)

my3sons
11-14-2006, 09:50 PM

The SLC 06 team is better than than the 03 SLC team. The defense is clearly the difference. 03 was good, just not the caliber of 06. I would love a rematch with Lubbock. This time THEY travel to the Metroplex. Same result though.

plainsman1
11-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Would love to play you again. Our D's strength is LB's and DB's. Don't want to play a power team like ET. Good luck to ya.

my3sons
11-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Would love to play you again. Our D's strength is LB's and DB's. Don't want to play a power team like ET. Good luck to ya.

Likewise. If we do play again it will be for the Region 1 title. Game 14. Good luck.

zippy
11-14-2006, 10:13 PM
The SLC 06 team is better than than the 03 SLC team. The defense is clearly the difference. 03 was good, just not the caliber of 06. I would love a rematch with Lubbock. This time THEY travel to the Metroplex. Same result though.

I think its kind of difficult to tell this early? I think if they continue you could say this is true, but they have a lot of teams with an offense not even close to what they have seen to go. It seems every year, they blow out teams and those teams get maybe 14 average against SLC. Then in the playoffs they start to give up close to a 30 point average when they meet the good teams. I also think that 2003 SLC played much better regular season teams. This teams D could be better, but I think we need to see what takes place from the 2nd week on to really get an idea.

Also, to add to the threads subject, special teams can become an issue. Have they fixed this? Years past it has been a problem.

plainsman1
11-14-2006, 10:13 PM
BTW, travelling to the metroplex is no big deal. When you play football in West Texas you're used to travelling. 2-5A goes from Amarillo to San Angelo, which is roughly a six hour drive. We open friday night in El Paso, which is about seven hours by bus. Heck, we've even had playoff games played in New Mexico with El Paso teams.

Big crowds are nothing new either. Odessa's stadium seats 20,000, San Angelo's 18,000 and Midland's !7,000.

Guess what I'm trying to say is - we'll show up. :-)

Phoenixrising05
11-15-2006, 12:27 AM
I think its kind of difficult to tell this early? I think if they continue you could say this is true, but they have a lot of teams with an offense not even close to what they have seen to go. It seems every year, they blow out teams and those teams get maybe 14 average against SLC. Then in the playoffs they start to give up close to a 30 point average when they meet the good teams. I also think that 2003 SLC played much better regular season teams. This teams D could be better, but I think we need to see what takes place from the 2nd week on to really get an idea.

Also, to add to the threads subject, special teams can become an issue. Have they fixed this? Years past it has been a problem.

Yes and no. In the past several years I would cringe everytime SLC was kicking off OR returning. It seemed they frequently bobbled/fumbled the ball on returns, and too often allowed the other team to return the ball out too far. This year however, we have had no turnovers (as far as I know) by the sp. team unit. I would say on average opponents get 10-20 yards on returns..so nothing too bad. The punter is inconsistent, but the kicker is pretty good.

toddg
11-15-2006, 12:45 AM

03' chase daniel reg. season
2,548 yds passing 32 tds
869 yds rushing 10 tds

06' riley dodge reg. season
2,642 yds passing 36 tds
1,019 yds rushing 12 tds

Phoenixrising05
11-15-2006, 12:50 AM

AND an erroneous call in favor of SLC (for once) towards the end of the game that "sealed the deal." That Monty team took many off-guard.

However, this year, some pretty good teams are you in your path before you'd have a 2nd chance against SLC: Coppell, Colleyville Heritage, or SGP.

toddg
11-15-2006, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=plainsman1]In '03 SLC scored with game four
. I'm not sure SLC's is.[/QUOTE

thats what everybody says every year

singularity
11-15-2006, 01:10 AM

I believe the score was 38-31.

dragonsdaddy
11-15-2006, 07:09 AM
i doubt they have already flipped, so don't cancel your lubbock hotel reserves just yet.

dragonsdaddy
11-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I also think that 2003 SLC played much better regular season teams.
would you think that 4a waxahachie, or sherman, or denison, or powerhouse burleson, marcus, lville or the colony would stack up with this year's cream-puff sked? come on now, those 7 weren't considered stout by anyone.

toddg
11-15-2006, 07:19 AM
i doubt they have already flipped, so don't cancel your lubbock hotel reserves just yet.

didnt they flip a home and home last time?

dragonsdaddy
11-15-2006, 07:25 AM
didnt they flip a home and home last time?
yeah, so? it doesn't carry over but for 2 years. this year is a new flip, if it happens.

Favpack
11-15-2006, 07:54 AM
SLC should be a favorite to repeat at this point. Tough road again, however, so, I'll leave my money in the bank. At some point, somewhere one would they think they'll lose a game.

LUFPAN
11-15-2006, 08:02 AM
I'd love to see a LP vs SLC semi-final again but its a long way off. Lufkin will have their hands full with a very good Consolidated team in week 2 and SLC will have ET.

dragonfootballfan
11-15-2006, 08:10 AM
did you watch the Grapevine and Northwest games, because I don't remember any team getting consistent pressure.

Grapeguy
11-15-2006, 08:46 AM

Obviously we don't know how the 2006 team's defense will stack up until the final game is played. However, there is plenty of evidence to support the point that this team plays better D than 2003. For starters, the 2003 team gave up 200 pts during the regular season - 2006 only gave up 116. Ddaddy has already pointed out the fallacy of the SOS argument you make. Also, 5-5A this year had some of the most potent offenses in 5A, even among the bottom of the district (i.e., Keller & Haltom). Another point is that in 2003 with Hartley, 80% of the KOs were touchbacks. This year over half the kickoffs have been pooch kicks so the field has been playing 5 to 20 yards shorter for the opposition generally. Punting average is also down though that is not a big deal since more than two punts a game is unusual.

The comment that "good teams" average 30 points a game seems to be an overstatement of the facts. If you had limited it to Lufkin, that would be an accurate statement. The only other teams to have scored 30 or more on SLC in 5A POs are Abilene, Monty and Arlington. The second time SLC played Abilene and Arlington it was a different story - they scored 0 and 7.

Dragon20
11-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd love to see a LP vs SLC semi-final again but its a long way off. Lufkin will have their hands full with a very good Consolidated team in week 2 and SLC will have ET.

Is the SLC and ET game Friday or Sat. after Thanksgiving?

drgnbkr
11-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Is the SLC and ET game Friday or Sat. after Thanksgiving?

Friday @ 1 at Texas Stadium

Dragon20
11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Friday @ 1 at Texas Stadium

Sweet!

FeeltheHaka
11-15-2006, 10:35 AM
The sad thing is that if Southlake pulls an upset over Euless Trinity they will be beat up pretty good making it harder for them when they play future teams.

Sakatha
11-15-2006, 10:36 AM
The sad thing is that if Southlake pulls an upset over Euless Trinity they will be beat up pretty good making it harder for them when they play future teams.

Upset?

~DnM

SLCDad
11-15-2006, 10:51 AM
03' chase daniel reg. season
2,548 yds passing 32 tds
869 yds rushing 10 tds

06' riley dodge reg. season
2,642 yds passing 36 tds
1,019 yds rushing 12 tdsIf you added defensive stats, the edge would be even greater for 2006 SLC over 2003 SLC.

drgnbkr
11-15-2006, 10:52 AM

C'mon now..Carroll would be favored in a matchup w/ Trinity...and it would be a physical game for both, trust me..lets keep it real, we like you guys and look forward to the possible meeting!

dragonsdaddy
11-15-2006, 10:54 AM
fth is getting into the same mindset that et will have to have concerning the game with slc. if they feel any other way, they won't be continuing on for sure.

sportsfan79
11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Trinity worries me due to their ability to run the football and try to control the clock (see Katy '03). The rivalry factor will also be big here, given that the two schools were both state champs last year and that they are ~ 10 miles apart. What gives me confidence: a) SLC's strength on D is its rush defense (aside from Katy, SLC has generally fared well against power running teams); and b) I am somewhat confident that Trinity will have problems slowing down SLC's offense having never seen it before. I guess my comfort here is that over the course of a full game, I think SLC can stop Trinity moreso than the other way around.

Lufkin worries me for several reasons: a) their offensive balance and big play capability; b) team speed; c) "familiarity" with SLC having played them 3 times in 4 years; d) fear of the "law of averages" catching up - it is extremely hard to beat a team like Lufkin four times in a row.

North Shore scares me due to team speed and because I don't think they will be intimidated in the least bit. They are geographically removed from SLC and have never faced them before, so the intimidation factor is probably lesser than most.

All three scare me because they are extremely talented, will be fired up to play SLC, and because SLC has to lose sometime, don't they?

Of the three teams, Lufkin scares me the most, followed by North Shore, then Trinity. Obviously, all three are great teams and I would not be surprised if any of them pulled out the win.

drgnbkr
11-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Trinity worries me due to their ability to run the football and try to control the clock (see Katy '03). The rivalry factor will also be big here, given that the two schools were both state champs last year and that they are ~ 10 miles apart. What gives me confidence: a) SLC's strength on D is its rush defense (aside from Katy, SLC has generally fared well against power running teams); and b) I am somewhat confident that Trinity will have problems slowing down SLC's offense having never seen it before. I guess my comfort here is that over the course of a full game, I think SLC can stop Trinity moreso than the other way around.

Lufkin worries me for several reasons: a) their offensive balance and big play capability; b) team speed; c) "familiarity" with SLC having played them 3 times in 4 years; d) fear of the "law of averages" catching up - it is extremely hard to beat a team like Lufkin four times in a row.

North Shore scares me due to team speed and because I don't think they will be intimidated in the least bit. They are geographically removed from SLC and have never faced them before, so the intimidation factor is probably lesser than most.

All three scare me because they are extremely talented, will be fired up to play SLC, and because SLC has to lose sometime, don't they?

Of the three teams, Lufkin scares me the most, followed by North Shore, then Trinity. Obviously, all three are great teams and I would not be surprised if any of them pulled out the win.

All 3 teams would scare anyone in the country..they are that good. Don't forget Westfield, who is out there also..vewy scawy!

SLCDad
11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
The sad thing is that if Southlake pulls an upset over Euless Trinity they will be beat up pretty good making it harder for them when they play future teams.Consider these stats:

Offense
..............Per Game
..............Points.....Rush Yds....Pass Yds.....Total
Carroll.........50..........264...........288..... .....552
Trinity.........38..........276...........111..... .....387

Defense
..............Per Tame Allowed
..............Points.....Rush Yds...Pass Yds...Total
Carroll........12............36...........167..... ...203
Trinity........10..........105...........137...... ..242

baylordad
11-15-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe any of four teams mentioned are capable of beating any of the opponents on any given day. I do think one factor that ET, Lufkin and Northshore have going into a game with SLC is that the three have nothing to lose and everything to win. There is no bigger bullseye in the state than the one on SLC right now, no matter what the other three have done in the past. If SLC is beaten during the playoffs, their loss will draw more attention than the winning of a championship. Good luck to all hopefully we can take care of business if we met them in week two and end speculation on the deserved greatness of SLC.

FeeltheHaka
11-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Consider these stats:

Offense
..............Per Game
..............Points.....Rush Yds....Pass Yds.....Total
Carroll.........50..........264...........288..... .....552
Trinity.........38..........276...........111..... .....387

Defense
..............Per Tame Allowed
..............Points.....Rush Yds...Pass Yds...Total
Carroll........12............36...........167..... ...203
Trinity........10..........105...........137...... ..242

Two things to consider with these stats are, teams in the district, and even predistrict schedule. And, how soon were the starters pulled. Keep in mind that Trinity has not played at 100% all season. We have had key players out every game. A couple of games, we have had up to 8 starters out. We were without our starting QB for 3 weeks.

Grapeguy
11-15-2006, 12:36 PM
I believe any of four teams mentioned are capable of beating any of the opponents on any given day. I do think one factor that ET, Lufkin and Northshore have going into a game with SLC is that the three have nothing to lose and everything to win. There is no bigger bullseye in the state than the one on SLC right now, no matter what the other three have done in the past. If SLC is beaten during the playoffs, their loss will draw more attention than the winning of a championship. Good luck to all hopefully we can take care of business if we met them in week two and end speculation on the deserved greatness of SLC.

If ET wins then the huge bullseye will be on its back as the only standing reigning champ. If were to happen, all SLC can say is "welcome to my world."

farmerfan
11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Two things to consider with these stats are, teams in the district, and even predistrict schedule. And, how soon were the starters pulled. Keep in mind that Trinity has not played at 100% all season. We have had key players out every game. A couple of games, we have had up to 8 starters out. We were without our starting QB for 3 weeks.

Tell me this haka, will Trinity be full strength come playoff time?
Seems that they have not been full strength for a while now.

SLCDad
11-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Two things to consider with these stats are, teams in the district, and even predistrict schedule. And, how soon were the starters pulled. Keep in mind that Trinity has not played at 100% all season. We have had key players out every game. A couple of games, we have had up to 8 starters out. We were without our starting QB for 3 weeks.I can't speak for the Trinity injuries.

The Freeman ratings say the SLC strength of schedule is about 2 points per game tougher than Trinity's schedule so far in 2006. SLC's schedule is rated 30th in Texas with Trinity's rated 38th. These schedules won't win any contests but they are not bad considering there are, what?, 250 5A teams.

I'm not a paying member at Jerry's PigskinPrep.com site. He also does a strength of schedule rating if anybody has it.

baylordad
11-15-2006, 02:40 PM
I can't speak for the Trinity injuries.

The Freeman ratings say the SLC strength of schedule is about 2 points per game tougher than Trinity's schedule so far in 2006. SLC's schedule is rated 30th in Texas with Trinity's rated 38th. These schedules won't win any contests but they are not bad considering there are, what?, 250 5A teams.

I'm not a paying member at Jerry's PigskinPrep.com site. He also does a strength of schedule rating if anybody has it.

I am posting these for info not for arguments...

Statewide Class 5A Strength of Schedule
At #1 Strength of Schedule (Toughest Schedule) is Tyler John Tyler
ET is #87
SV is # 107
AMC is # 109
Cedar Hill is #149
Northshore is #153
SGP is # 154
Longview is # 159
Lufkin is #160
Katy is # 165
PESH is # 172
Spring Westfield is #176
SLC is #193
Any others of interest let me know

zippy
11-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Obviously we don't know how the 2006 team's defense will stack up until the final game is played. However, there is plenty of evidence to support the point that this team plays better D than 2003. For starters, the 2003 team gave up 200 pts during the regular season - 2006 only gave up 116. Ddaddy has already pointed out the fallacy of the SOS argument you make. Also, 5-5A this year had some of the most potent offenses in 5A, even among the bottom of the district (i.e., Keller & Haltom). Another point is that in 2003 with Hartley, 80% of the KOs were touchbacks. This year over half the kickoffs have been pooch kicks so the field has been playing 5 to 20 yards shorter for the opposition generally. Punting average is also down though that is not a big deal since more than two punts a game is unusual.

The comment that "good teams" average 30 points a game seems to be an overstatement of the facts. If you had limited it to Lufkin, that would be an accurate statement. The only other teams to have scored 30 or more on SLC in 5A POs are Abilene, Monty and Arlington. The second time SLC played Abilene and Arlington it was a different story - they scored 0 and 7.

Thats your opinion I guess. I guess the 03 team just was not that good. I think they played better teams, I guess not. Opinions. DD didnt do anything but give his opinion. Now for the facts. Average of 30 in the playoffs (from the good teams) is in fact what I said. If you look at the past 2 years, and I consider the top 6 "good teams" SLC has faced they have averaged 26.5 ppg. I am truly sorry for the overstatement by 3.5 points. Forgive a guy for not breaking out the calculator the first time, and just guessing.

maxtor
11-15-2006, 03:06 PM
[/B]

ET is #87
SV is # 107
AMC is # 109
Cedar Hill is #149
Northshore is #153
SGP is # 154
Longview is # 159
Lufkin is #160
Katy is # 165
PESH is # 172
Spring Westfield is #176
SLC is #193
Any others of interest let me know

Smithson Valley has the #107 of 256 teams? SV plays in 26-5A which is the toughest district in the state.

It doesnt take too much digging around to figure out that SLC doesnt have the #193 schedule.

Im not arguing with you, just saying to anybody looking at this that it is bogus.

BigFoot
11-15-2006, 03:42 PM

So much for this being an objective thread and not a homer thread.
There is no objectivity in SLC. They do not think anyone will beat them and they may not but it always come down to every team is a threat but we should still win. No matter how good another team plays it is a simple matter of stats to them. Since teams like ET, Lufkin, and NS don't put up huge scores ....discussion over SLC wins.

maxtor
11-15-2006, 03:59 PM

"And, how soon were the starters pulled. "

SLC outscored their opponants by 33-5 at halftime.
Trinity outscored their opponants by 23-5 at halftime.

"Keep in mind that Trinity has not played at 100% all season."

You have to have depth, unless one only considers 22 players to make up a team.

baylordad
11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Smithson Valley has the #107 of 256 teams? SV plays in 26-5A which is the toughest district in the state.

It doesnt take too much digging around to figure out that SLC doesnt have the #193 schedule.

Im not arguing with you, just saying to anybody looking at this that it is bogus.

This list is the one that was mentioned so I posted it. I am sure you must know what critera was used to establish it for you to determine it is bogus.

youtellatale
11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
As much as I think many of the matchups proposed would be very entertaining, I seriously doubt that there will be a matchup of powers after the SLC vs ET game. People forget that Permian is on the rise again. Yes, it has been a while but anyone who has ever played that team in the playoffs can tell you that they travel and they play hard. New coaching staff and talented players mean that SLC cannot afford to look ahead. Also, Monterey has a claim to some sort of a distinguished matchup with SLC in the future, should either team make it this far. Personally, I would find it wonderfully refreshing for some unknown team from say El Paso(?) to find its way through to the later rounds of the playoffs. Lets wait for the first round matchups for be done with before we assume all these teams make it as far as some are predicting. Remember, I do not remember anyone picking KSU to beat UT last weekend...Injuries in a crucial game can be a turning point. and lastly...DONT SLEEP ON WEST TEXAS!

dragonsdaddy
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
where are all the powers going to go after the presumed slc-et game?
As much as I think many of the matchups proposed would be very entertaining, I seriously doubt that there will be a matchup of powers after the SLC vs ET game. People forget that Permian is on the rise again. Yes, it has been a while but anyone who has ever played that team in the playoffs can tell you that they travel and they play hard. New coaching staff and talented players mean that SLC cannot afford to look ahead. Also, Monterey has a claim to some sort of a distinguished matchup with SLC in the future, should either team make it this far. Personally, I would find it wonderfully refreshing for some unknown team from say El Paso(?) to find its way through to the later rounds of the playoffs. Lets wait for the first round matchups for be done with before we assume all these teams make it as far as some are predicting. Remember, I do not remember anyone picking KSU to beat UT last weekend...Injuries in a crucial game can be a turning point. and lastly...DONT SLEEP ON WEST TEXAS!

BigFoot
11-15-2006, 04:55 PM
"And, how soon were the starters pulled. "

SLC outscored their opponants by 33-5 at halftime.
Trinity outscored their opponants by 23-5 at halftime.

"Keep in mind that Trinity has not played at 100% all season."

You have to have depth, unless one only considers 22 players to make up a team.

SLC scores fast and ET scores in 6 minutes so touches are not the same in our games vs SLC. So if we score everytime we touch the ball and you score everytime what do those stats mean? Nothing. We pull our starters sometimes early 3rd. Just like you we have to have the game in hand.
SLC and ET play a totally different style so don't try to compare stat against stat. I am not saying ET is better or that they will win. Just be honest with the stats you throw around. We started some backups against Bell so does that count for something...NO. But we won and who cares by how many?

Vercingetorix
11-15-2006, 05:14 PM
I say the Dragonslayer lurking among the bracket will be a team with a clock control balanced offense with a big brutal offensive line, and most importantly, the kind of defense that can crack the SLC game plan with turnovers. Aggressive special teams never hurt. Who fits that bill? It goes without saying that Trinity has at least some of these elements.

I just don't know who fits the bill.

Funny, the Farmers bring some run defense (for a low playoff seed) in the first round -- but that just won't cut it.

SLCDad
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
[/B]

ET is #87
SV is # 107
AMC is # 109
Cedar Hill is #149
Northshore is #153
SGP is # 154
Longview is # 159
Lufkin is #160
Katy is # 165
PESH is # 172
Spring Westfield is #176
SLC is #193
Any others of interest let me knowI find these numbers very, very hard to believe.

drgnbkr
11-15-2006, 05:35 PM

It would be fun to welcome the Lubbock Monterrey folks to the cozy confines of Dragon Stadium, should that game happen....it was a long trip out to the caprock last time!

toddg
11-15-2006, 10:26 PM

the odessa feeder systems to the high schools is so messed up now, its a testament to coach allmen and his staff on how improved permian is!

SLC fan
11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
It would be fun to welcome the Lubbock Monterrey folks to the cozy confines of Dragon Stadium, should that game happen....it was a long trip out to the caprock last time!

So does Monterrey still owe us a trip or not? I think somebody else mentioned that the slate is wiped clean after two years.

Phoenixrising05
11-15-2006, 11:49 PM
So does Monterrey still owe us a trip or not? I think somebody else mentioned that the slate is wiped clean after two years.

ive heard from multiple sources that it IS wiped clean after two years...but i've also heard that if two teams can't come to an agreement (flip home-home) that the UIL steps in...I can't imagine dodge agreeing to risk going all the way out there again so maybe we'll find out

zippy
11-16-2006, 12:48 AM

You guys would have had to face Monty at home in 2004 or after. If it was in 2004, you guys would have a home game if you went to Monty that year. Same if SV and SLC had met up this year. SLC would be going to SA area. Next year, it starts over. I guess the only way it would not, is if Dodge and Monty's coach agreed to something like this (2 year). I do not even know if that is possible however.