PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Answer Questions In Victory Over Chaminade

supercentex
08-29-2005, 07:04 PM
RAIDERS ANSWER QUESTIONS IN VICTORY OVER CHAMINADE

Robert E. Lee entered Saturday's season opener against Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade Madonna with a few questions: How would senior Preston Hill respond to his first quarterback start since his sophomore season? How would an inexperienced offensive line handle Chaminade Madonna's defense filled with Division I prospects, and how would Lee's defense make up for the loss of starting free safety Tekerrein Cuba, who was out with a knee injury?

Advertisement

One thing Lee head coach Mike Owens did not have any questions about was returning senior running back Jason Williams.

And Williams showed everyone why Saturday night at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium.

The senior carried 28 times for 259 yards and scored four rushing touchdowns to help lead Lee past Chaminade-Madonna, 34-28.

"We were excited to get out there, and we just left it all on the field," Williams said. "I told my linemen, if they block, I'll run hard."

Williams kept his word, breaking more than one tackle on several of his runs.

With the game tied 7-7 midway through the second quarter, Williams crashed through three Chaminade-Madonna tacklers for a 27-yard touchdown. In the second half, Williams was pushed back by the defensive surge at the line of scrimmage, before resetting himself and racing 58 yards for a touchdown. His final score of the night featured more of the same as the Lee back twisted out of tackles to get into the open field before waltzing 21 yards for the touchdown.

"Williams is very physical, and the way he hammered people tonight was phenomenal," said Lee head coach Mike Owens. "Our offensive line did a great job also. They were coming off on them and sealing them up. We had some great kick-outs, and Jason hit those creases."

There was more than one great tailback on the field Saturday night. Chaminade-Madonna senior Willie Floyd used his unrelenting quickness and speed to frustrate Lee to the tune of 221 yards and two touchdowns.

"He's great," Owens said of Floyd. "That guy is full speed on his second step. On the second step, he's gone. And he has great vision and is a big-time player."

Chaminade-Madonna fullback Xavier Stinson finished with 14 carries for 73 yards. All told, the Lions out-rushed Lee 317 to 315.

The difference of the game was a costly penalty and turnover by Chaminade-Madonna. The Lions had a long touchdown pass called back because of a holding penalty in the second half and fumbled the ball near Lee's goal line to stop another scoring chance in the first half.

Lee is 1-0 heading into its first road test Friday at Waco (0-1). The Red Raiders are also 1-0 in their first of two games against out-of-state opponents.

"It's great to be 1-0, especially against a team like that," Owens said. "There is not a player over there who isn't a player. They do a great job with a good scheme, and their two running backs are something else.

"If they could throw the football a little more, they would be seriously dangerous."

Lee is ranked No. 3 in Class 5A by the Associated Press. The Red Raiders will next take on the Waco Lions at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Waco I.S.D. Stadium.

Williams said Saturday's win is the first of many successes Lee will achieve this season.

"This win is the first step, and we've hopefully got 14 more," Williams concluded. "All the way to state."

svrangerfan
08-29-2005, 07:33 PM
Does anybody other than Craig Way use the term "Supercentex"??