PDA

View Full Version : Question about....questionable state titles

Phoenixrising05
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I've seen a few references to some "gifted" state championships, and wandered if someone could "relive" the horror and fill me in...as many as you can think of would be great...but specifically the Katy title that was taken away in the late 90s (i think), and the Judson title that was given to them in 88. What's the scoop? Who was given Katy's title? Thanks!

Shoot2thrill
11-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I've seen a few references to some "gifted" state championships, and wandered if someone could "relive" the horror and fill me in...as many as you can think of would be great...but specifically the Katy title that was taken away in the late 90s (i think), and the Judson title that was given to them in 88. What's the scoop? Who was given Katy's title? Thanks!

Coju got beat by one of the all time great high school ball clubs- the big red from Dallas Carter. Carter had to forfeit due to an ineligible player. Judson gets credit for a title they didn't win on the field but Judson played by the rules and Carter didn't. Can't taint the title for that to my way of thinking. ;)

WOS87
11-07-2006, 09:14 PM
There have only been two titles that were actually ordered to be forfeited in UIL football as far as I know. Katy didn't actually get the chance to play for a title for it to be taken away.

The day before it was to play for the Class 5A Division II championship, the Katy football team was disqualified. It forfeited a game because a reserve player had violated the state's no-pass, no-play law by forging a signature on a three-week progress report. It was the first time a Texas high school team had been disqualified on the eve of a title game. Katy had won over Houston Clear Brook 40-0 in the Quarters and San Antonio MacArthur 14-6 in the Semis and had to forfeit both of those wins. MacArthur ended up playing for the championship against Midland Lee with essentially no time to prepare and were lambasted 54-0 with the biggest margin of victory ever in a UIL Title game.

Dallas Carter was ordered to forfeit all of their wins in 1988 and the UIL gave the state title to Converse Judson over 2 years after the season was over.

Previous post with article regarding the ruling (http://www.5atexasfootball.com/forum/vB/showpost.php?p=236316&postcount=26)

Stamford was forced to forfeit their on-the-field win over Brady in the 1959 2A State Finals due to an ineligible player. I don't really know many of the details of this one.