PDA

View Full Version : Extra Uniform Stuff

CoppellCowboy57
04-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Today you see kids with underarmor, wrist bands on there bicep, tape of diffrent colors all over there body. Alot of extra stuff added onto there uniform.

Personaly I think it makes kids look like clowns espically when they arnt doing anything to back up the way they play.

The last 2 years of my highschool career I wore, two wrist bands, one with my late uncles name, and another with my long time friends girlfriends # on it after she died, in a tragic car accident. The only i wore underarmor was once @ Texas Stadium as a sophmore when i was standing on the sidelines all game, and the last game of my senior football season cause I was cold.

I dont understand why players wear somthing to make them stand out...isnt the whole point of a uniform, is to be one (hince the prefix uni meaning one) thats the one thing I dont like about playing highschool football, i think it devideds the team

what is y'all feeling on it

wide-e-wide
04-19-2005, 09:30 AM
My 10th grade year at Lufkin. Coach Culpepper would not
allow wristbands,towels...any of that stuff. If you were
a defense/offense captain you were given gold wristbands...
otherwise everybody looked the same. I like that....

KT2000
04-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I think the NFL has a lot to do with it. In the last decade or so, NFL celebrations have grown to the point of absurdity. Pom poms, cell phones, standing at midfield, etc., etc.. I saw a DB make a tackle 10 yards downfield once and then he celebrated like he made a game saving stop in the Super Bowl.

Obviously, it's easy to blame the NFL but I think that has a lot to do with what we see when high school kids and even little leaguers try to showboat and draw attention to themselves. Kids grow up watching that and try to copy what they see their "heroes" doing. So, I think it has to be taught out of them by the time they get to high school because growing up they think it's OK because the pros are allowed to do it.

wide-e-wide
04-19-2005, 12:53 PM
KT2000 is right. But doesn't this fall on the coaches.
I know if I were a coach it would be seriously frowned
upon. And have a harsh punishment. Celebrations like that
symbolize everything that HS football isn't...
Individuality----it's a team sport. No one kid is above the team.

TheDuke
04-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Except you Wide! LOL!! :D

wide-e-wide
04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
Well I think that goes without saying.
In the words of T.O. " I love me, some me"
and Randy Moss " straight cash homie"

CoppellCowboy57
04-19-2005, 04:48 PM
after we started the season 1-4 our coach band all extra stuff, if it was issued by school you dont wear it. We went on a three game winning streak and lost the last two in close games...

LD Bell Blue Raiders
04-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Every game I wear blue under armor with sleeves, black socks and then blue socks that go off half way so it creates a blue bottomed black top effect on my legs. Then I have on eye black. That's it, no gloves or wrist bands or tape.

KT2000
04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
The biggest thing going I've seen lately is the white medical tape around the face mask. I don't really get that, but I guess that's why people do it, lol...to stand out.

I think it's on parents and coaches to teach players how to be a part of a team. Parents need to be the ones telling their kids not to do the things they see on TV.

LD Bell Blue Raiders
04-19-2005, 07:46 PM
When we played Trinity, our biggest rival, we got black medical tape and put it on our face masks to create two upside down T's. A big phrase around our school is "T's Down, B's Up" so that is why we did that. We lost 35-14, so it didn't work.

NewSherriffInTown
04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Don't blame uniforms on the NFL...They can't wear ANYTHING different from anyone else. You can blame them for everything else.

In the words of Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders..."You can't play good unless you look good."

P.S. I think creative celebrations are great.

Red Raiders
04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Don't blame uniforms on the NFL...They can't wear ANYTHING different from anyone else. You can blame them for everything else.

In the words of Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders..."You can't play good unless you look good."

You can play good and don't look good.

TigersWreck
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
In my opinion it's not that big of deal what the hell you wear. Underarmour has a soul purpose of keeping you cool when it hot and warmer when it's cold ...it has little to do with appearance. Now i've never heard of the tape of the faskmask so i dont know about all that but it sounds just about useless. It has nothing to do with being a part of team either....the whole team has underarmour and accessories

CoppellCowboy57
04-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Every game I wear blue under armor with sleeves, black socks and then blue socks that go off half way so it creates a blue bottomed black top effect on my legs. Then I have on eye black. That's it, no gloves or wrist bands or tape.

Y'all were apart of our 3 came win streak what was it 30somthing-7

all i remember about that game is y'all talking trash and i was like dude scoreboard...

Oh and we called your QB all night bc he left his cell phone number on his website :)

CoppellCowboy57
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
In my opinion it's not that big of deal what the hell you wear. Underarmour has a soul purpose of keeping you cool when it hot and warmer when it's cold ...it has little to do with appearance. Now i've never heard of the tape of the faskmask so i dont know about all that but it sounds just about useless. It has nothing to do with being a part of team either....the whole team has underarmour and accessories

as i said earlier the point of wearing a uniform is to be ONE...ONE TOGEITHER...adding little extra things, is pointless

KT2000
04-19-2005, 08:40 PM
The NFL has very strict rules regarding uniforms. My reference to the NFL was for the celebrations which make the games almost unwatchable to me.

SummitGrad04
04-19-2005, 10:00 PM

I'm with you on this one. As long as they're not too far out there, I don't have any problem with the celebrations. They're a little added entertainment.

gtowndrumma
04-19-2005, 11:22 PM
normally a good ref. can keep those celebrations under control w/ that flag of his.

Katyexrb29
04-20-2005, 02:56 AM
Armour is great if used for what it was made for. Back when I played the whole team wore UA. But we could only wear one color. If coach J caught any of us trying to put on a fashion statement he would tell us to go change or your not playing. I always thought it was hillarious seeing what some teams wore during the games only to loose to us.

Rerun
04-20-2005, 03:05 AM
the kids wearing the most extra crap are the ones that never play. since they dont play they wear 12 extra peices of crap to make up for it.

SoCal Coach
04-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Where I coach we allow minimal stuff. We allow 2 wrist bands, one for each arm, under armor has to be navy (we are navy and white), and RB's get to wear clear visors (our RB's seem to leave every game with swollen eyes from being poked at under the pile). But other than that nothing. No dew rags, no ear rings, not even those yellow Lance Armstrong bracelet things. We even make them all wear the same issued socks.

Rerun
04-20-2005, 04:02 AM
coach, what hs in cali are you at?

CoppellCowboy57
04-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Its the same with us in Coppell before are coached band everything, black or red underarmor only wrist bands were to be worn on the wrist of players not there biceps, blah blah blah

DipnSpit
04-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Me and the rest of my offensive linemen wore UnderArmour, the short sleeved kind... to look thin of course.. but that's all the "extra" stuff we wore...

SoCal Coach
04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
coach, what hs in cali are you at?

Redlands High School, Division 1 Southern Section, Citrus Belt League

YouKnowTha3T
04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
I think it partly makes some players feel comfortable having the right equipment, partly wanting to look good while winning, and partlywanting to start a new style. It was pretty much the norm at SLC to wear wristbands, spat, black tights and cutter gloves.

owlfan 1
04-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I remember in '02, Garland played North Mesquite for the district title - several players wrapped a lot of yellow tape around their ankles to make a fashion statement. We won, and it looked really cool.

When we played Longview in the playoffs, a lot more players had that yellow tape. We lost 45-0. It didn't look so cool, then.

NewSherriffInTown
04-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I have no problem with underarmor or wristbands and all that stuff...I have problems with neckrolls though. That makes you look ridiculous, especially when you are 175 pounds

LoneStarProud
04-24-2005, 02:44 PM
I have no problem with underarmor or wristbands and all that stuff...I have problems with neckrolls though. That makes you look ridiculous, especially when you are 175 pounds

Neckrolls are a neccessity to some players. I agree they look funky and
even limit mobility but I had to wear one. I was mainly a blocking
back and head on collisions into the backside of a big "O" line or a
linebacker was reason enough to put it on for me. If you've ever had
a neck injury, playing without it would be like a catcher playing without
a cup. :p

wide-e-wide
04-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Eaaaaaazzzzzy....a catcher without a cup.
That made me flinch just reading it. Owwwww...

ktchamp97
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
As far as celebrations go...
The NFL is entertainment. Those guys' jobs are to put butts in the seats and put on a show. It's quite different from high school ball in that sense. True, it sets a bad example, but you have to realize the difference between pro ball and high school.

The NFL is about the show and the spectacle, whereas high school football should be about the game itself and therefore the individual celebrations have no place in the high school game. I like to see guys fired up when they score, but celebrate with your teammates...without them you wouldn't have scored. Or, you could always go Barry Sanders and just act like you've been there before and you'll be back plenty more in the future...just hand the ball to the official.

And the uniform stuff...
It can begin to look pretty silly and after awhile it can be a distraction. I think it's up to the coach to figure out whether or not it's a distraction for his particular group of guys. In general though, it's better to have everyone wearing the same stuff. That way there's just one less thing to worry about. As silly as it may sound, a great deal of team unity can be gained from something as seemingly insignificant as wearing the same stuff. It promotes the idea that nobody is above the team. If that idea permeates the entire team you have a chance to really maximize your overall potential, because instead of focusing on yourselves, you focus on what you can do for the team. Everyone focuses on their assignments instead of how many yards they're gonna gain, etc. It sounds old-fashioned and corny, but, it works...I have a ring to prove it!

As Coach Johnston would say (inregards to all that extra crap on your uni), "This ain't the University of Miama!!"

LP-79
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I still remember when Lufkin was Purple and Gold only. Now they have added black and white. The old travel uniforms that were solid gold with purple letters did suck though! LOL

CoppellCowboy57
08-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Im bringing the thread back it was a good thread...seeing as footballs coming tomorrow :)...

It'll intersting what new thing the players are wearing

CCBoy
08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
As far as celebrations go...
The NFL is entertainment. Those guys' jobs are to put butts in the seats and put on a show. It's quite different from high school ball in that sense. True, it sets a bad example, but you have to realize the difference between pro ball and high school.

The NFL is about the show and the spectacle, whereas high school football should be about the game itself and therefore the individual celebrations have no place in the high school game. I like to see guys fired up when they score, but celebrate with your teammates...without them you wouldn't have scored. Or, you could always go Barry Sanders and just act like you've been there before and you'll be back plenty more in the future...just hand the ball to the official.

And the uniform stuff...
It can begin to look pretty silly and after awhile it can be a distraction. I think it's up to the coach to figure out whether or not it's a distraction for his particular group of guys. In general though, it's better to have everyone wearing the same stuff. That way there's just one less thing to worry about. As silly as it may sound, a great deal of team unity can be gained from something as seemingly insignificant as wearing the same stuff. It promotes the idea that nobody is above the team. If that idea permeates the entire team you have a chance to really maximize your overall potential, because instead of focusing on yourselves, you focus on what you can do for the team. Everyone focuses on their assignments instead of how many yards they're gonna gain, etc. It sounds old-fashioned and corny, but, it works...I have a ring to prove it!

As Coach Johnston would say (inregards to all that extra crap on your uni), "This ain't the University of Miama!!"
I agree with KTchamp, I think there should be small celebrations on the highschool level such as a highfive, slaps on the helmet, jumping and hugging team mates, etc...but on the NFL side of football when there is a celebration the media focuses so far in to these celebrations that It gets the fans wanting to see more. It is entertainment because it is on TV. It is not education or religion. As much as I hate T.O., I always watch to see what is next and he makes more money acting a fool and getting commercial endorsements imitating his celebrations. It's TV and I love it, but highschoolers should keep celebrations toned down. Earn your right later.