PDA

View Full Version : Why I Wish I Was a Texas Longhorn

Firebird
10-29-2006, 01:06 PM
ahem.......

"First and foremost, as a sports fan, I have to admit that there is no better sports school in the country. Needless to say, any discussion of sports begins with King Football. As the defending national champions, the Longhorns are the Kings of the greatest sport in the world....and they have a legitamate shot at making it two in a row. My teams haven't done that since...well... never in my lifetime. I have to say that it would be nice to celebrate a BCS championship like the Longhorns did in 2005. Heck, it would be nice just to celebrate a BCS bowl, which the Longhorns do regularly.

It isn't just football though. Texas OWNS the Big 12 conference in virutally every sport. Whether hoops, baseball, track and field, or swimming, as a Longhorn fan you are virtually assured that you will get to watch a contender for a conference championship (and often National Championship) in whatever sport you follow. That has to be fun....with the teams I follow, we are thrilled with a second place finish, usually to the 'Horns. There's a reason SI proclaimed UT the best sports school in the country, and though you could quibble a bit, there is really no doubt they made the right choice.

But life isn't ALL about sports, and neither is the University of Texas. UT is one of the foremost public schools in the country when it comes to academics. In the greatest state in the Union, they are second only to Rice. They are the only public university in Texas to be ranked first tier by US News and World Report. Plus, their administration has made it a goal not to rest on laurels. Their academics improve year by year. Texas offers a combination of world class academics and sports, something few other schools can claim to do.

I also have to admit that Austin is a great city. Whether you are a cowboy or a hippie, you can find something to love in Austin. The beautiful rolling hills around the city are an outdoor enthusiast's dream, or you can catch live music at one of Austin's great venues. No doubt about it, Austin is the state's coolest city.

Finally, I wish I was a Texas Longhorn because of their fans. If I was a Longhorn, I could hang out with such classy, handsome fans like BeauxGeezy. The man is a scholar and a gentleman, not to mention very good looking. The fact that he supports UT is a credit to the institution and its sports teams.

And that is why I wish I was a Texas Longhorn."

Never let it be said that Firebird doesn't make good on his bets.

singularity
10-29-2006, 01:10 PM
You are a good guy

slorch
10-29-2006, 01:11 PM
a man's man.

Here's to Firebird.

I still hate Texas, but in a classy way!:D

jtk1519
10-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I didn't know Firebird was a Tech fan too. I just spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how ACU was ever going to make a BCS bowl.

RocklandDragon
10-29-2006, 01:41 PM
ahem.......

(No need for the whole speech to be brought back on a reply)

A man true to his word.

Firebird is :cool: .

whyzat
10-29-2006, 02:16 PM
ahem.......

"First and foremost, as a sports fan, I have to admit that there is no better sports school in the country. Needless to say, any discussion of sports begins with King Football. As the defending national champions, the Longhorns are the Kings of the greatest sport in the world....and they have a legitamate shot at making it two in a row. My teams haven't done that since...well... never in my lifetime. I have to say that it would be nice to celebrate a BCS championship like the Longhorns did in 2005. Heck, it would be nice just to celebrate a BCS bowl, which the Longhorns do regularly.

It isn't just football though. Texas OWNS the Big 12 conference in virutally every sport. Whether hoops, baseball, track and field, or swimming, as a Longhorn fan you are virtually assured that you will get to watch a contender for a conference championship (and often National Championship) in whatever sport you follow. That has to be fun....with the teams I follow, we are thrilled with a second place finish, usually to the 'Horns. There's a reason SI proclaimed UT the best sports school in the country, and though you could quibble a bit, there is really no doubt they made the right choice.

But life isn't ALL about sports, and neither is the University of Texas. UT is one of the foremost public schools in the country when it comes to academics. In the greatest state in the Union, they are second only to Rice. They are the only public university in Texas to be ranked first tier by US News and World Report. Plus, their administration has made it a goal not to rest on laurels. Their academics improve year by year. Texas offers a combination of world class academics and sports, something few other schools can claim to do.

I also have to admit that Austin is a great city. Whether you are a cowboy or a hippie, you can find something to love in Austin. The beautiful rolling hills around the city are an outdoor enthusiast's dream, or you can catch live music at one of Austin's great venues. No doubt about it, Austin is the state's coolest city.

Finally, I wish I was a Texas Longhorn because of their fans. If I was a Longhorn, I could hang out with such classy, handsome fans like BeauxGeezy. The man is a scholar and a gentleman, not to mention very good looking. The fact that he supports UT is a credit to the institution and its sports teams.

You sir, are a man of exemplary and distinguished character whose word is his bond. Such qualities are not the product of any school affiliation, but of singular intelligence and superior upbringing. Thank you for being a worthy example for us all.

P.S. Never, ever enter into a negotiation or wager of any kind with the inimitable Mr. Geezy. If we could figure out a way to get him appointed as our International Trade Representative, he would most likely have bushwacked and won over all of India and half of China in short order. We could eradicate the entire U.S. deficit if only his rare talents could be brought to bear. :D

TexasRed6x
10-29-2006, 02:19 PM
That was a good post and you are a good person.

DragonBand06
10-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Good post.
You are a good guy and never let anyone tell you that you are classless or don't hold your end of a deal.

Firebird
10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the support all. It actually wasn't TOO hard to make the post, considering that all the stuff about UT is true. It really is hard to compete with the 'Horns. They got a good win the other night, and I can say that I wish I was wearing Burnt Orange at the time.

Of course, if someone (not me) wanted to nominate this thread for the Hall of Fame and locked up quickly, I wouldn't object....I'm beholden to defend the Longhorns on this thread as long ast it is still active.

Optimus Prime
10-29-2006, 03:31 PM
Good thing you did there Firebird.....many wouldn't come through on their bets. A good thing you are on t.u. side cause i know there aren't enough on this board.:D oh yeah, one more thing............................

BEVO SUCKS!!!!!!!:D ;)

BeauxGeezy
10-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Good job Firebird...you're a good guy.

Favpack
10-29-2006, 05:31 PM
ACU's loss was tougher to swallow I bet. Good job man.

GoOwls
10-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Bevo just bowed on his knee to you Firebird.

You're a good man.

dragonsdaddy
10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
the tu athletic and academic stuff is true. the fan description-not so much. good job overall. i nominate this for instant classic and resultant lockage.

KT2000
10-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Well done, Firebird.