PDA

View Full Version : District 5-5A updated

Phoenixrising05
10-22-2006, 03:29 AM
Here are the newest scenarios for 5-5A and which division SLC goes:

Playoff position 1 (district champ): SLC, pretty much a given at this point

PO 2: possibly Heritage, which in their best case scenario wins out and goes 6-1 in district, with their only loss to Carroll. BUT this would mean they have to beat Northwest AND Grapevine...iffy.

PO 3: possibly Grapevine thanks to their win over Northwest; even if they lose to Heritage they end up 4-3 and by head-to-head against NW take that spot.

PO 4: possibly Northwest, although after the performance they displayed last night, they could even end up as 2nd in the district. To be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, they just need to beat Haltom, regardless of how they fair against Heritage. BUT if they beat Heritage AND Haltom, they end up 5-2 in district, and tie for 2nd place in the district with the winner of the Heritage/Grapevine game. (Note that even if Northwest beats Heritage...if they go on to LOSE to Haltom, they still don't go to the playoffs).

PO4b: Because of their loss to Richland, Haltom would have to beat Northwest to take the last playoff spot.

IMHO, if Northwest plays like they did last night, this is how I predict the outcome of 5-5A:
1. SLC (7-0)
2. Northwest (5-2) - losses to SLC and Grapevine
3. Heritage (5-2) - losses to SLC and Northwest
4. Grapevine (4-3) - losses to SLC, Northwest, and Heritage

Again it comes down to whether Northwest (Carroll goes D1) or Haltom (Carroll goes D2) wins that game.

TrinityTrojan80
10-22-2006, 05:54 AM
Here are the newest scenarios for 5-5A and which division SLC goes:

Playoff position 1 (district champ): SLC, pretty much a given at this point

PO 2: possibly Heritage, which in their best case scenario wins out and goes 6-1 in district, with their only loss to Carroll. BUT this would mean they have to beat Northwest AND Grapevine...iffy.

PO 3: possibly Grapevine thanks to their win over Northwest; even if they lose to Heritage they end up 4-3 and by head-to-head against NW take that spot.

PO 4: possibly Northwest, although after the performance they displayed last night, they could even end up as 2nd in the district. To be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs, they just need to beat Haltom, regardless of how they fair against Heritage. BUT if they beat Heritage AND Haltom, they end up 5-2 in district, and tie for 2nd place in the district with the winner of the Heritage/Grapevine game. (Note that even if Northwest beats Heritage...if they go on to LOSE to Haltom, they still don't go to the playoffs).

PO4b: Because of their loss to Richland, Haltom would have to beat Northwest to take the last playoff spot.

IMHO, if Northwest plays like they did last night, this is how I predict the outcome of 5-5A:
1. SLC (7-0)
2. Northwest (5-2) - losses to SLC and Grapevine
3. Heritage (5-2) - losses to SLC and Northwest
4. Grapevine (4-3) - losses to SLC, Northwest, and Heritage

Again it comes down to whether Northwest (Carroll goes D1) or Haltom (Carroll goes D2) wins that game.

Go Texans!!

ScottS
10-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Northwest will destroy Haltom. Hello D1.

Grapeguy
10-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Northwest will destroy Haltom. Hello D1.

Yes - based on what Carroll saw of these two teams. Should win by at least 3 TDs. However, there have been too many surprises in this district the past couple of year to take that prediction to the bank. What's the certainty that they play Haltom more like they did GV than SLC? Our one NW poster mentioned a couple of times that they have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot.

Also, last year at this time, an ET/SLC matchup was touted by many here as all but certain. But DR went into the tank and the rest is D2 history.

StarmanDX
10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
The only team out of this district who will advance to the 2nd round will be Carroll. Each other team will be bounced from the first round.

Grapeguy
10-22-2006, 12:14 PM
The only team out of this district who will advance to the 2nd round will be Carroll. Each other team will be bounced from the first round.

I wouldn't be so certain of that. Would you care to elaborate?

StarmanDX
10-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Going by the current bracket projections,

SLC would destroy Marcus(by 50 or so points)
Coppell wouldn't have a hard time taking care of Colleyville(14-21 point victory minimum)
Hebron would kill Grapevine(if Coppell beats Grapevine by 59 I'm sure Hebron could beat them soundly too)
Flower Mound and Northwest would be the only tossup

Grapeguy
10-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Going by the current bracket projections,

SLC would destroy Marcus(by 50 or so points)
Coppell wouldn't have a hard time taking care of Colleyville(14-21 point victory minimum)
Hebron would kill Grapevine(if Coppell beats Grapevine by 59 I'm sure Hebron could beat them soundly too)
Flower Mound and Northwest would be the only tossup

Don't have any major qualms with your predictions since you're calling a FM/NW game a tossup.

However, I'm never going to pick SLC by 50 against a PO team -even if they are 4th in district. Also the PO team could be Lewisville after their win against Marcus.

I would also give the nod to Hebron but I wouldn't say they would kill GV. The 56-0 beating by Coppell was just as much a "fluke" game as their 5 pt. loss to SLC last year. Hebron still has issues too.

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 04:14 PM
In my mind there are three major games left to decide everyone's fate (maybe 4 depending on the first 3)

CHHS vs. NW -- actually a bigger game for CHHS, if they win they lock up a playoff spot, and probably 2nd in the district. NW can win this game and still not get in (see below)

GVine vs Richland -- as crazy as it sounds, due to Richland's win over Haltom, they are still alive. If GVine losses this game, with SLC the next week, they will be fighting for their playoff lives against Colleyville the last week.

Haltom vs NW - HUGE game for NW. A loss here does them in unless Colleyville falls apart. I posted this on another thread, but a Haltom fan told me they have two different teams, the one that beat GVine and played us well, and the one that got beat by Richland and showed poorly against SLC (although we agreed it didn't matter which team showed up against them). After watching them I believe it, becuase I couldn't fathom how they lost to Richland. If Haltom plays like they did Friday night, they are capable of beating anyone (see GVine).

CHHS vs. Grapevine - could be a big game for GVine or even Heritage if they fall apart. My guess is this game will be of no playoff value, but time will tell.

So for all you SLC watchers, these are the games to look at...the only thing at this point to make SLC go D2 is Haltom.

My predictions
1. SLC
2. Colleyville
3. NW
4. Grapevine

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Starman, your precious 7-5A, with local powers Nimtz, Irving, Grand Prairie, etc, will have no one alive after the 2nd round, and should get only two out of the first. Never can understand why you think 5-5A is the worst district in the world. Its not that great, but its on par with 7-5A, which is horrble too.

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Here is what I have to say about a couple issues. First of all Grapevine should have beat Haltom by 20+ if you where at the game you would have seen that. Grapevines rb had 4 carries for 100 yards and 2 td's in the first quarter alone! and the 2nd quarter was almost the same story. However, Grapevine stopped running the ball as much, which is a question for everyone, i dont know why they did??? but also in the 2nd half and also muffed a punt return and a couple other penalties killed them.
2nd point
Grapevins 56-0 loss to Haltom was a complete fluke. Grapevine had 10 starters out, including there qb, so they used a qb that played jv. last year. They werent focused and had a bad week of practice and if you follow football or any sport at all you know how that can be. Not saying that Coppel isnt a good team i just dont believe that they are 56 points better than Grapevine, I feel that if somehow they met in the playoffs it would be a shootout and a toss up who wins.
3rd point
The Grapevine vs. Carrol game could be closer than people think. Grapevine always is hyped to play them and with Grapevines nearly unstoppable running game, and Carrols great run defense we will see who wants the game more. If Grapevine can avoid the big play and make Carrol put together long drives, they will control the momentum and the clock. So we will just have to see. But first is Richland so Grapevine will get focused for that game and take it week by week

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Here is what I have to say about a couple issues. First of all Grapevine should have beat Haltom by 20+ if you where at the game you would have seen that. Grapevines rb had 4 carries for 100 yards and 2 td's in the first quarter alone! and the 2nd quarter was almost the same story. However, Grapevine stopped running the ball as much, which is a question for everyone, i dont know why they did??? but also in the 2nd half and also muffed a punt return and a couple other penalties killed them.
2nd point
Grapevins 56-0 loss to Haltom was a complete fluke. Grapevine had 10 starters out, including there qb, so they used a qb that played jv. last year. They werent focused and had a bad week of practice and if you follow football or any sport at all you know how that can be. Not saying that Coppel isnt a good team i just dont believe that they are 56 points better than Grapevine, I feel that if somehow they met in the playoffs it would be a shootout and a toss up who wins.
3rd point
The Grapevine vs. Carrol game could be closer than people think. Grapevine always is hyped to play them and with Grapevines nearly unstoppable running game, and Carrols great run defense we will see who wants the game more. If Grapevine can avoid the big play and make Carrol put together long drives, they will control the momentum and the clock. So we will just have to see. But first is Richland so Grapevine will get focused for that game and take it week by week

There is zero chance you beat Carroll...ZERO...I said this in an earlier post, but you better beat Richland, or else that Haltom game you lost "that you should have won by 20" will keep you out of the playoffs...(not really sure how you lose by double digits, but should have won by 20?)

mustangs9
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey stangs, dont worry pantherguy's just pissed that CV gets hyped up every year when they play Carroll and get killed every year. Atleast we got close, even if it was a "fluke".

dragonsdaddy
10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
There is zero chance you beat Carroll...ZERO...I said this in an earlier post, but you better beat Richland, or else that Haltom game you lost "that you should have won by 20" will keep you out of the playoffs...(not really sure how you lose by double digits, but should have won by 20?)
he's using mustang math, which as a stang fan, is his perogative. as long as he doesn't use it on the taks test, he'll be ok.

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
he's using mustang math, which as a stang fan, is his perogative. as long as he doesn't use it on the taks test, he'll be ok.
did you really just make a comment about the 'taks test'????? wow good one there but lets get back too football. All i have to say is how about yall go to the games or maybe listen to people that are actually at the games instead of just looking at the box scores.

dragonsdaddy
10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
did you really just make a comment about the 'taks test'????? wow good one there but lets get back too football. All i have to say is how about yall go to the games or maybe listen to people that are actually at the games instead of just looking at the box scores.

i can't see myself at more than one gvine game per year. and i'm not sure listening to the "unbiased" reports of some is any better than the box scores.

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
i can't see myself at more than one gvine game per year. and i'm not sure listening to the "unbiased" reports of some is any better than the box scores.
alright well i guess when grapevine plays carrol on the nov. 4th you will really get to see the grapevine running game and the defense that i keep talkin about in these post

dragonsdaddy
10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
alright well i guess when grapevine plays carrol on the nov. 4th you will really get to see the grapevine running game and the defense that i keep talkin about in these post
since i'll be deer hunting on the 4th, i may sojourn over to the pms and catch the richland game. should be a good one.

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
since i'll be deer hunting on the 4th, i may sojourn over to the pms and catch the richland game. should be a good one.
well ya it could be a good one but richland barely beat keller w/ the last minutes to play and grapevine had no problem but still shouldnt overlook them as a team. but ya i have respect for carrol as a football team i just think that grapevine if they play there best has a chance, thats all im sayin

drgnbkr
10-22-2006, 08:17 PM

Kind of like 7-5A....

drgnbkr
10-22-2006, 08:24 PM
2nd point
3rd point

You might get positive yardage rushing, but most likely it will be negative like most other teams the Dragons have played..hope you've got a QB who can chuck & duck, because thats all your going to get.

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 08:44 PM

I've seen Grapevine play twice, SLC play twice, and all our games...what I am telling you is that your "unstoppable" run game was against Keller and Keller Central...SLC's defense is the real deal...it is just comedy to me that, as I predicted a few weeks ago, Gvine wins a couple of games against bad teams, and they are suddenly all world.

And as far as you saying you should kill Richland because they barely beat Keller, lets not forget this Richland team beat Haltom, who beat you by double digits...

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
You might get positive yardage rushing, but most likely it will be negative like most other teams the Dragons have played..hope you've got a QB who can chuck & duck, because thats all your going to get.
Grapevines QB can do that but i think that with the run game that we will produce he wont have to accept for about 15 times to catch carrol off guard and hit them with a big play or just a huge first down

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 08:47 PM

dragonsdaddy, where do you hunt at? I'm an archery man...so I've been at it a couple of weeks already...

stangsalltheway
10-22-2006, 08:50 PM
I've seen Grapevine play twice, SLC play twice, and all our games...what I am telling you is that your "unstoppable" run game was against Keller and Keller Central...SLC's defense is the real deal...it is just comedy to me that, as I predicted a few weeks ago, Gvine wins a couple of games against bad teams, and they are suddenly all world.

And as far as you saying you should kill Richland because they barely beat Keller, lets not forget this Richland team beat Haltom, who beat you by double digits...
i dont think grapevine is "all world" and by the way we did beat northwest and they arent a bad team.... but and i dont think we will 'kill' richland i just think that yes richland is a better team this year than in the past but grapevine is getting better every week and when they get there ground game going its hard to stop. thats all im sayin dont get pissed "pantherguy" just b/c yall have beat gvine twice in 10 years, and have made playoffs once,(maybe twice) and just wait till Nov. 10 then we will really see who the better team is

Pantherguy
10-22-2006, 09:03 PM
i dont think grapevine is "all world" and by the way we did beat northwest and they arent a bad team.... but and i dont think we will 'kill' richland i just think that yes richland is a better team this year than in the past but grapevine is getting better every week and when they get there ground game going its hard to stop. thats all im sayin dont get pissed "pantherguy" just b/c yall have beat gvine twice in 10 years, and have made playoffs once,(maybe twice) and just wait till Nov. 10 then we will really see who the better team is

I think we've made the playoffs more than y'all have in the last five years...in fact I'm sure of it...but you're right about the 2 in 10..all the games except 2 (one each way) have been close, we just can't ever seem to win the close one against ya'll...I love that game though....the atmosphere is awesome, and everyone is always fired up...it is always (win or lose) my favorite game to watch of the year...I think it has turned into a real good rivalry

Phoenixrising05
10-22-2006, 10:24 PM
2nd point
3rd point

Through Week 7, let me break it down for you :D

Southlake Carroll
Rushing yards: 1788
Passing yards: 2106
Total yards: 3894

Rushing yards allowed: 115
Passing yards allowed: 1262
Total yards allowed: 1377

Grapevine
Rushing yards: 1652
Passsing yards: 1250
Total yards: 2902

Rushing yards allowed: 895
Passing yards allowed: 1755
Total yards allowed: 2650

The Dragons beat the 'Stangs in literally EVERY stat. Carroll has gained nearly 1000 yards MORE than Grapevine, while at the same time surrendering 1000 yards LESS. Also, Grapevine's "nearly unstoppable running game" has only allowed them to score above 33 TWICE (both to teams with losing records). Carroll on the other hand, has yet to score under 43 in any game. Barring another "fluke", I just don't see this game being competitive at all.

rams55
10-22-2006, 10:35 PM
well first off the grapevine fans start trash talking early

second thing is that grapevine game sucked last year(for me) though a very good game against two great teams

third thing gvine should not start saying they can beat teams like SLC and CHHS 2to3 weeks in advance. its just wrong. focus on what you have this upcomming friday

now colleyville wont coast through the next three games but i feel that they should go undefeated untill PO'S.

so playoff list goes like this
1. slc
2 chhs
3 northwest
4 gvine

bleedblue
10-22-2006, 11:22 PM
Starman, your precious 7-5A, with local powers Nimtz, Irving, Grand Prairie, etc, will have no one alive after the 2nd round, and should get only two out of the first. Never can understand why you think 5-5A is the worst district in the world. Its not that great, but its on par with 7-5A, which is horrble too.

Every DFW area district this year is mediocre. You have to ignore the bad teams and look at how many good teams are in each district. 4-5a has Summit, 5-5a has Carroll, 6-5a has Hebron and Coppell, 7-5a has Trinity and SGP, and 8-5a has Cedar Hill.

mustangs9
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM

second thing is that grapevine game sucked last year(for me) though a very good game against two great teams

third thing gvine should not start saying they can beat teams like SLC and CHHS 2to3 weeks in advance. its just wrong. focus on what you have this upcomming friday

now colleyville wont coast through the next three games but i feel that they should go undefeated untill PO'S.

1. slc
2 chhs
3 northwest
4 gvine

This is a message board, it's not like we are the coaches talking smack to everyone, this is just a bunch of fans talking trash to eachother. Maybe if I was a running back for Grapevine then I wouldn't be talking about a game in 11 days.

dragonsdaddy
10-23-2006, 11:35 AM
dragonsdaddy, where do you hunt at? I'm an archery man...so I've been at it a couple of weeks already...
i went the 2nd and third weekends of this summer's bow season, and sweated thru my bvd's, which basically was what i wore under a mesh camo suit. we hunt near llano. been there for my 36 years now.

Pantherguy
10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
i went the 2nd and third weekends of this summer's bow season, and sweated thru my bvd's, which basically was what i wore under a mesh camo suit. we hunt near llano. been there for my 36 years now.

Awesome...Llano is good country...hopefully it will cool down here in the next couple of weeks...

FootballCrazy727
10-23-2006, 02:44 PM

1. slc
2 chhs
3 northwest
4 gvine
So are you saying that NW will beat CHHS this week, with NW finishing ahead of grapevine because i cant see the happening

rams55
10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
no i dont see CHHS loosing anymore games untill playoffs. i dont think NW will win nor will Gvine. but both teams are on the up. so they might just give CHHS a hardtime but it will be good for the VILLE and it could get them deep into the playoffs

slc goes into playoffs 10-0
chhs 8-2
northwest 7-3
gvine goes only because everyone else is worse than them i.e. richland, central, keller

mustangs9
10-23-2006, 05:59 PM
rams55 just hates grapevine because he was on the team that lost last year and he cant give it up...thats why he doesnt see us ahead of anyone.

dragonsdaddy
10-23-2006, 06:04 PM
rams55 just hates grapevine because he was on the team that lost last year and he cant give it up...thats why he doesnt see us ahead of anyone.
either that, or he's correct and gvine isn't very good. we'll soon see. gl

my3sons
10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
NW runs a more balanced attack than CV who is pretty much 1 dimensional. The NW defense appears stronger as well. How well they cover the pass surely wasn't evident in the SLC game. If CV gets it going on offense and stops NW a couple of times it could be all over for NW. Should be a good game. This game will definitely impact whether SLC goes D1 or D2. Good luck to both and hopefully no one gets hurt. 5-5A needs to send healthy teams to the playoffs.

rams55
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
either that, or he's correct and gvine isn't very good. we'll soon see. gl

trust me i have too many friends who went or still attened gvine

it just happens to be anotherr really crappy year for gvine and i think as people gvine will barely make playoffs

sorry

trust me ide rather have seen you there last ear instead of fossil ridge. because we all know they didnt deserve it

FootballCrazy727
10-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Grapevine beat NW in a heads-up defensive battle, with the grapevine offense making the big plays to win the game while NW choked thier chance to win the game. So i dont know where all these assumed ideas came from that NW is better than g-vine

rams55
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Grapevine beat NW in a heads-up defensive battle, with the grapevine offense making the big plays to win the game while NW choked thier chance to win the game. So i dont know where all these assumed ideas came from that NW is better than g-vine

maybe because we all know that NW just didnt play as well as we think they should have and gvine played better than expected

again all of these are just opinions

mustangs9
10-23-2006, 07:39 PM
maybe because we all know that NW just didnt play as well as we think they should have and gvine played better than expected

Well if you have been at the last 4 games you should know that the Gvine vs. Haltom game was not the best game Grapevine played. We kicked a onside with 17 sec. to go and got it then tried to go endzone and threw a pick. We almost pulled it off but i guess almost only counts in horseshoes.

FootballCrazy727
10-23-2006, 08:31 PM

Neither NW or G-vine played bad games. It just came down to who wanted it more and G-vine came away with it. Grapevine is annualy underrated while CHHS is ALWAYS overrated in till the last game of the year when grapevine always beats CHHS

rams55
10-23-2006, 09:12 PM
Neither NW or G-vine played bad games. It just came down to who wanted it more and G-vine came away with it. Grapevine is annualy underrated while CHHS is ALWAYS overrated in till the last game of the year when grapevine always beats CHHS

be carefull with what you say

hollywood
10-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Kind of like 7-5A.... You really think SGP will lose their first game? I think this is an emotional response. No?

hollywood
10-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Starman, your precious 7-5A, with local powers Nimtz, Irving, Grand Prairie, etc, will have no one alive after the 2nd round, and should get only two out of the first. Never can understand why you think 5-5A is the worst district in the world. Its not that great, but its on par with 7-5A, which is horrble too.It is likely that 3 of 4 7-5A teams will advance to the second round. ET, SGP, and Jesuit. I think they should play the games though. Just in case. This year 7-5a is way down. Last year it was aguably one of the toughest in the state.

The interesting thing is that the team that may have the best chance to reach the regionals is Jesuit. They could end up meeting Cedar Hill in the Regionals.

ET has to get by SLC in the second round.

SGP would likely have to get by Coppell. You think Colleyville?

rams55
10-23-2006, 10:16 PM
It is likely that 3 of 4 7-5A teams will advance to the second round. ET, SGP, and Jesuit. I think they should play the games though. Just in case. This year 7-5a is way down. Last year it was aguably one of the toughest in the state.

The interesting thing is that the team that may have the best chance to reach the regionals is Jesuit. They could end up meeting Cedar Hill in the Regionals.

ET has to get by SLC in the second round.

SGP would likely have to get by Coppell. You think Colleyville?
time will tell

hollywood
10-23-2006, 10:24 PM
time will tellIf Colleyville can get by a stout Coppell team, they really deserve to move on. The winner of the Coppell vs. Colleyvile game will be tough to beat.

rams55
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
If Colleyville can get by a stout Coppell team, they really deserve to move on. The winner of the Coppell vs. Colleyvile game will be tough to beat.

i finally found an SGP who i can converse with

yes i fully agree with yoiu and hopefully colleyville will beat all comers in the playoffs. i just worry about what is going to happen this friday and every friday

dragonsdaddy
10-24-2006, 07:04 AM
i finally found an SGP who i can converse with

yes i fully agree with yoiu and hopefully colleyville will beat all comers in the playoffs. i just worry about what is going to happen this friday and every friday
having witnessed sgp vs et, there is very little chance that sgp will not beat chhs. they are a much faster and more physical team and i would predict a 2-3 td win for sgp.

TexanPride
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM

Offense making the big plays to win the game? If you call a clearly out of bound pass that the officials missed and blantant holding on the screen that broke for the winning touchdown - OKAAAAAY! I was at the game and the missed out of bounds call was so bad that those little plastic footballs rained down on the field. the ref closest to the play couldn't call it, so he looked to a ref who was 40 yards away who was not in position to see it - unbelievable. Peter Brooks, the NW defensive end had GV running back contained in the backfield for a possible loss, but got held, allowing the RB to get outside and down the sideline. NW did not get beat in this game, they beat themselves. The issue with us losing this game had nothing to do with Grapevine's offense, it was poor play calling by the NW coaches. They did not make the necessary adjustments during the game. If this game was played again NW wins by 3 TD's.

mustangs9
10-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Offense making the big plays to win the game? If you call a clearly out of bound pass that the officials missed and blantant holding on the screen that broke for the winning touchdown - OKAAAAAY! I was at the game and the missed out of bounds call was so bad that those little plastic footballs rained down on the field. the ref closest to the play couldn't call it, so he looked to a ref who was 40 yards away who was not in position to see it - unbelievable. Peter Brooks, the NW defensive end had GV running back contained in the backfield for a possible loss, but got held, allowing the RB to get outside and down the sideline. NW did not get beat in this game, they beat themselves. The issue with us losing this game had nothing to do with Grapevine's offense, it was poor play calling by the NW coaches. They did not make the necessary adjustments during the game. If this game was played again NW wins by 3 TD's.

I dont know about that one..Grapevines offense scheme has been changed slightly.. GV-NW game was a defensive battle.. thats why the score wasnt very high. The game would probly have the same outcome if played again. I dont see how it was coached wrong when NW stopped Grapevines running attack.

TexanPride
10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I dont know about that one..Grapevines offense scheme has been changed slightly.. GV-NW game was a defensive battle.. thats why the score wasnt very high. The game would probly have the same outcome if played again. I dont see how it was coached wrong when NW stopped Grapevines running attack.

I was referring to the offensive game plan. As a self-professed first string bleacher coach, I am frequently bothered by the play selection of the coaching staff. They always try to run up the middle at least 20 plays a game...even if it's not there. They always have success passing the ball, yet instead of drilling the secondary until they prove they can defend the pass, they go to running game to try to mix it up - WHY? I can understand giving the ball to Drew Ashley - he's a great runner, but his strength is going to the outside and once he's in the open field he's as good as gone. Yet they only call about 1-3 running plays to the outside per game! NW needs to call more 10-15 yard slants too. Almost all the teams I've seen this year (including us) play off the line too deep - 10 yard slants will kill you all night long. That's what killed us against SLC last week. Drop behind the LB's and in front of the DB's and you got a 10-20 yard pickup everytime (as long as the QB is accurate). On the last drive that stalled against GV, the GV defense was pretty much playing a prevent with the DB's - way off the ball, yet the coaches never picked up on it and tried to run the ball up the middle (to run out the clock...with a 3 point lead) - very frustrating.

drgnbkr
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
I was referring to the offensive game plan. As a self-professed first string bleacher coach, I am frequently bothered by the play selection of the coaching staff. They always try to run up the middle at least 20 plays a game...even if it's not there. They always have success passing the ball, yet instead of drilling the secondary until they prove they can defend the pass, they go to running game to try to mix it up - WHY? I can understand giving the ball to Drew Ashley - he's a great runner, but his strength is going to the outside and once he's in the open field he's as good as gone. Yet they only call about 1-3 running plays to the outside per game! NW needs to call more 10-15 yard slants too. Almost all the teams I've seen this year (including us) play off the line too deep - 10 yard slants will kill you all night long. That's what killed us against SLC last week. Drop behind the LB's and in front of the DB's and you got a 10-20 yard pickup everytime (as long as the QB is accurate). On the last drive that stalled against GV, the GV defense was pretty much playing a prevent with the DB's - way off the ball, yet the coaches never picked up on it and tried to run the ball up the middle (to run out the clock...with a 3 point lead) - very frustrating.

Ashley was a good RB last year but has'nt been able to get much this year and was totally ineffective against Carroll....so you had to pass, and the Carroll D was'nt giving up anything mid to long, so credit to your coaches...they took the short stuff.

FootballCrazy727
10-24-2006, 07:08 PM
How in the world do you have NW winning by 3 td's if they played again? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? because most the people on this thing don't. NW is a very good football team but so is grapevine. Theres a reason we held yall to 13 pts and on film the side line catch is not out-of-bounds it was just a incredible catch (endzone camera shows all) and i have no idea what your talking about with your holding call on the screen....it was just a perfect play call for the situation with yall bringing so much heat every play

mustangs9
10-24-2006, 09:37 PM

I also dont get why your saying that the passing game for yall was working, because it wasnt. Our corners shut NW down. The held one of the best recievers in the district to very little. I remember atleast 4 times NW tried to go deep but the pass was out of bounds.

TexanPride
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
I also dont get why your saying that the passing game for yall was working, because it wasnt. Our corners shut NW down. The held one of the best recievers in the district to very little. I remember atleast 4 times NW tried to go deep but the pass was out of bounds.

I wasn't saying our passing game was working - McAngus was only 19-29 for 153 yards - lousy numbers for him. What I was referring to was that it seems that our coaches have the game scripted and have certain plays they are DETERMINED to run, even if the defense and the flow of the game don't allow it. In my opinion, they are not good at recognizing that a defense is stuffing the middle, taking away the running game between the tackles, or double-teaming on our best receiver Arsenio, and making the neccessary adjustments to counter that. GV took away our deep throws, but were playing their DB's way off the line of scrimmage, which would have allowed us to run 10-15 yard slants to the WR's all night long. I would have run slants until GV's DB's moved up to take that away, and then gone for the deep routes - that's all I'm saying. You gotta adjust - a weak point for NW IMO.

mustangs9
10-25-2006, 10:27 AM
I wasn't saying our passing game was working - McAngus was only 19-29 for 153 yards - lousy numbers for him. What I was referring to was that it seems that our coaches have the game scripted and have certain plays they are DETERMINED to run, even if the defense and the flow of the game don't allow it. In my opinion, they are not good at recognizing that a defense is stuffing the middle, taking away the running game between the tackles, or double-teaming on our best receiver Arsenio, and making the neccessary adjustments to counter that. GV took away our deep throws, but were playing their DB's way off the line of scrimmage, which would have allowed us to run 10-15 yard slants to the WR's all night long. I would have run slants until GV's DB's moved up to take that away, and then gone for the deep routes - that's all I'm saying. You gotta adjust - a weak point for NW IMO.

That is true. The run game really wasnt working for yall until the 4th quarter when NW running back probly ran 5 plays up the middle for 30-40 yds.

TexanPride
10-25-2006, 11:51 AM
That is true. The run game really wasnt working for yall until the 4th quarter when NW running back probly ran 5 plays up the middle for 30-40 yds.

I'm not sure what the breakdown was per quarter, but we did have 120 yards on the ground and Drew had 26 carries for 103. The NW D gave up a total of 55 yards against GV's RB's.

mustangs9
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure what the breakdown was per quarter, but we did have 120 yards on the ground and Drew had 26 carries for 103. The NW D gave up a total of 55 yards against GV's RB's.

GV' Lone running back.. the other runningback only played defense during this game. I think he had a few carries if any.